Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NovemberMike posted:

I'd actually say it's higher than 40%. DPS tends to rely on positional attacks that don't work solo, a whm or sch probably deals close to 70% of the damage of a real dps class on solo content.

A DRG Leg Sweep gives more than enough time to hit both the important positional setup attacks on a normal sized enemy. There's no way a SCH's dot abilities are generating 70% the damage of a DRG in solo enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The grenade launcher isn't even that good, which just makes their terrified reactions even more hilarious. I love that part.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

NovemberMike posted:

I'd actually say it's higher than 40%. DPS tends to rely on positional attacks that don't work solo, a whm or sch probably deals close to 70% of the damage of a real dps class on solo content.

I'm definitely not saying you're wrong but 70% feels a little high, but I low balled the 40% because my DPS meter wasn't counting DoT attacks correctly, so I don't know SCH numbers at all. On the numbers I could see that were being counted correct, namely direct damage attacks, it came out to about 50% of the damage my well geared Monk (i85) and BLM(i90) could do. I knocked it down to 40% because the MNK/BLM dots weren't being counted accurately much like Aero1/2 and they're more powerful than those.

It could be anywhere from 40 to 60% if measured 100% correctly, I'm sure, but it's absolutely good enough to solo with. It's also worth noting my WHM is around i95, so it's better geared than either of those classes by a fair amount.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Theatrhythm Curtain Call is scheduled to be release on September 16th and I am super excited for this, because it's also gonna come with a kickin rad collector's edition and I WANT THAT POUCH.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/03/theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call-getting-collectors-edition-north-america/

It's about 69.99 and only available through the SE Store though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So Curtain Call is basically the current Theathrhytm with more content, right?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah pretty much. Over 200 songs (Not including the DLC ones for the games), 60 characters (Again not including the DLC ones), some new modes, and now featuring ~MULTIPLAYER~.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Beef Waifu posted:

Theatrhythm Curtain Call is scheduled to be release on September 16th and I am super excited for this, because it's also gonna come with a kickin rad collector's edition and I WANT THAT POUCH.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/03/theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call-getting-collectors-edition-north-america/

Oh man that pouch is great, but I don't really need a collector's edition... CDs are neat, but I can barely be bothered to rip CDs nowadays.

So excite.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So I started playing Final Fantasy Tactics. Everyone I know who loves the game tells me how piss easy it is, but I'm finding it beyond relentless.

I got myself trapped in the Wiegraf/Belias battles and I could really use some tips on how to beat that fucker. I know he's vulnerable to Silence and Blind, which is a huge help, but I still end up getting pulverized by his army of demons if I manage to hit him with status effects.

The last time I forgot to keep my alt saves up to date was just before the previous Lucavi battle. Why do I keep doing this to myself :argh:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Brasseye posted:

Can you beat ruby weapon without Knights of the Round? I want to get a gold chocobo on this playthrough but I dont know if I have the heart to run around breeding them for hours. I think you get a gold chocobo as a reward for killing ruby.

Yup, you get a gold chocobo for killing Ruby, and yes it's very possible to beat Ruby without KotR, but the easiest method will require just a little bit of Chocobo breeding, just to get a Green one. Green chocobos can give you access to the Mime materia, which you can use to chain Hades/BahamutZERO if you've grinded out a W Summon from Battle Square.

Mak0rz posted:

So I started playing Final Fantasy Tactics. Everyone I know who loves the game tells me how piss easy it is, but I'm finding it beyond relentless.

I got myself trapped in the Wiegraf/Belias battles and I could really use some tips on how to beat that fucker. I know he's vulnerable to Silence and Blind, which is a huge help, but I still end up getting pulverized by his army of demons if I manage to hit him with status effects.

The last time I forgot to keep my alt saves up to date was just before the previous Lucavi battle. Why do I keep doing this to myself :argh:

What's your strategy for getting past Wiegraf vs Ramza?

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 3, 2014

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ImpAtom posted:

The GBA version also fixes a number of bugs. Such as Evade actually working properly. The music is a bit worse but it isn't like it is replaced by howling bat screeches. There are patches to fix the SNES version but generally it isn't worth going out of the way. (Also all the SNES retranslation patches are pretty bad, before you ask. Just use the original SNES translation if you're going that route.)

Avoid the iOS and the PS1 versions no matter what. Both are lovely for different reasons.

How's the PSN version? Is it just the PS1 version? What's wrong with it? My girlfriend and I want to play VI eventually and trying to play a handhold looking over each other's shoulders sounds like a bad time.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

How's the PSN version? Is it just the PS1 version? What's wrong with it? My girlfriend and I want to play VI eventually and trying to play a handhold looking over each other's shoulders sounds like a bad time.

The translation's pretty iffy and load times are pretty bad. If you want to play VI, I'd honestly suggest getting the Virtual Console version on the Wii or Wii U.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Do any of the Crystal Chronicle games have local multiplayer that isn't a convoluted shitheap? I really loved the original, but local multiplayer required both players to have a Gameboy Advance. It looks like there's been a couple made on Wii, but I've never heard anything about them. Are they decent at all?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TARDISman posted:

Yup, you get a gold chocobo for killing Ruby, and yes it's very possible to beat Ruby without KotR, but the easiest method will require just a little bit of Chocobo breeding, just to get a Green one. Green chocobos can give you access to the Mime materia, which you can use to chain Hades/BahamutZERO if you've grinded out a W Summon from Battle Square.

What's your strategy for getting past Wiegraf vs Ramza?

Plays out like this:
  • Run away.
  • Wiegraf follows as far as he can and attacks with Shockwave for piddly damage.
  • Get up in his face and attack him.
This ends the battle if he hits successfully twice (Ramza is a Ninja dual-wielding Ninja Longblades). Wiegraf always follows up with a counterattack, but Ramza's evade is pretty high so it only should hit him sometimes. I've never seen it miss in any of my attempts so far though, if I remember right. When the counter does connect, Ramza starts the next battle in critical condition.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Lightning goes from "hmpf" to "ach" to "grr" to "hng" to "whatever".
I was watching the LR lp, and Lightning has a few lines that are pretty much "Okay okay, just please stop talking." I was saying just take that and make her more of a sarcastic rear end in a top hat, as opposed to various grunts and brooding.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

TARDISman posted:

The translation's pretty iffy and load times are pretty bad. If you want to play VI, I'd honestly suggest getting the Virtual Console version on the Wii or Wii U.

Well that's not gonna happen. I don't own a Wii* and I'm certainly not getting one now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Beef Waifu posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, instantly Amazon preodered. I didn't want the (in fairness, sweet-looking) pouch and last time I preordered from SE's store I preordered Drakengard 3 "too early" to be given the preorder bonuses until I bitched at customer support... so Amazon. Plus, free two day shipping!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Aaaaawwww yeah. It was tedious as poo poo, but I finally dodged 200 lightning bolts in a row in FF X. Congratulations, Lulu! You've got your Celestial Weapon now! Too bad no one ever loving used you in battle past that sphere-amoeba thing. Go pull your retarded one-liners and slow-rear end casting animations somewhere else.

All that remains now is Penance. I'm all set up. Once I've got an hour or two to spare, I'll take that fucker on and enjoy what will doubtlessly be an underwhelming reward. Can an ultimately meaningless Platinum trophy fill the raging void that FF X has left in my heart? Probably not! :dance:

Really, though - I couldn't help but notice how badly this game has aged. I's a pretty lazy HD remake, all given, and I hesitate to call it a remake at all. Several characters actually look worse in HD (Tidus and Yuna look strangely stone-faced), the controls are extremely wonky especially with a moving camera, the battle system feels somehow even slower, and pretty much every single minigame is hot, steaming poo poo. Every single one is determined by your patience with the clunky, camera-hating controls and bad collision hitboxes. Maybe Blitzball gets better at higher levels - I pretty much never want to find out. For all of low-level play, AI was embarrassingly bad. The goal glitch is a godsend. Also, Yuna has such a terrible VA compared to every other main character... Yes, even Seymour. (Who is hilariously unimportant, all things considered...)

Still - much more fun than I feared it would be, given how many of my other childhood favorites turned out...

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Torquemadras posted:

Yuna has such a terrible VA compared to every other main character...

I've been noticing this too, her lines sound awfully stilted, like they recorded her reading them out loud having never seen them before.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dross posted:

I've been noticing this too, her lines sound awfully stilted, like they recorded her reading them out loud having never seen them before.

As far as I know that's because she tried to stay with the lip syncing rather than talking like a human being.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mr E posted:

As far as I know that's because she tried to stay with the lip syncing rather than talking like a human being.

Yeah, that's basically it. She's much better in X-2 after she learned from her mistake, though that's the director's fault for not catching on early.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Mr E posted:

Yeah, there's a few lines in the game where the voice actor just sounds hyper-paced and weird, like "we'llstopyou." with zero inflection. Words just rammed together like a sudden highway pile-up.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Plays out like this:
  • Run away.
  • Wiegraf follows as far as he can and attacks with Shockwave for piddly damage.
This ends the battle if he hits successfully twice (Ramza is a Ninja dual-wielding Ninja Longblades). Wiegraf always follows up with a counterattack, but Ramza's evade is pretty high so it only should hit him sometimes. I've never seen it miss in any of my attempts so far though, if I remember right. When the counter does connect, Ramza starts the next battle in critical condition.

If you want the absolute cheesiest way out of that fight, and don't have yourself locked in by save, go to Lesalia and buy Ramza a Chameleon Robe. Make Ramza any job that can equip the robe, and make his secondary skill set the Squire set. It wouldn't hurt to also have Auto-Potion on, if you have it.

Then in the solo battle, run away while spamming Yell/Tailwind (not sure which version you're playing), until you get about two turns for every one of Wiegraf's, then start spamming Accumulate/Focus, until you feel confident in your face punching abilities. Then stroll over and smack Wiegraf one. The accumulated stats carry over to the Belias fight, and you can speed Ramza over and oneshot it before the battle even really gets going.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mak0rz posted:

Plays out like this:
  • Run away.

FFT can be easy once you know it inside and out, but it's usually not easy your first time through unless you sperg out learning game mechanics and looking up builds and strategies.

If you can get past the Wiegraf part that helps a lot. As a Ninja, Ramza will probably get two turns before the enemy gets to go in the second half, so you can do some damage there. Beyond that, there are a couple of approaches: 1) bring lots of revival options, and slowly wear them down, 2)bring enough area damage to try and take out the demons quickly, or 3) focus-fire on Belias and try to kill him before his team kills you. It'll just depend on your team's strengths.

It's worth mentioning that the demons are vulnerable to Petrify, which just so happens to be the Geomancy effect in that battle (the stone floor one, whatever it is). So if all else fails, try bringing a couple characters with that skill and try to petrify several of the demons. It can really help.

If you try to focus-fire Belias, remember that he takes increased physical damage while charging. So while it might be tempting to silence him, you may have better results by trying to bait him to walk towards your team to cast a summon on them, then unload on him with physicals while he charges. Of course, that may take a few tries to figure out the right positioning and speed manipulation.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

TARDISman posted:

Thanks! Ill make a note of this, still in midgar right now but I remember chocobo breeding being kind of a pain so any shortcut I can find is great.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If you want the absolute cheesiest way out of that fight, and don't have yourself locked in by save, go to Lesalia and buy Ramza a Chameleon Robe. Make Ramza any job that can equip the robe, and make his secondary skill set the Squire set. It wouldn't hurt to also have Auto-Potion on, if you have it.

Then in the solo battle, run away while spamming Yell/Tailwind (not sure which version you're playing), until you get about two turns for every one of Wiegraf's, then start spamming Accumulate/Focus, until you feel confident in your face punching abilities. Then stroll over and smack Wiegraf one. The accumulated stats carry over to the Belias fight, and you can speed Ramza over and oneshot it before the battle even really gets going.

I was save-locked in it. I just managed to beat him, though, if not only because I was lucky. Ramza avoided Wiegraf's counter and I added another ninja. That was enough to get me an edge, especially after silencing him and killing off his demon posse.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I was save-locked in it. I just managed to beat him, though, if not only because I was lucky. Ramza avoided Wiegraf's counter and I added another ninja. That was enough to get me an edge, especially after silencing him and killing off his demon posse.

Ah, yeah. I lost some of my files to getting save locked. Any time the game asks if you want to save like that, it's a trap, don't do it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

FFT can be easy once you know it inside and out, but it's usually not easy your first time through unless you sperg out learning game mechanics and looking up builds and strategies.

Yeah, your first time through definitely has some rough patches, especially while you're learning the mechanics. As a kid I got to Dorter Trade City then traded the game for Wild ARMS. :negative:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Mr E posted:

Tidus gets this sometimes as well, though not as often.

I'll do it... withyunabymyside

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Dross posted:

It's not even just that. They reused several lines in different contexts, I believe, which is why you always get the same hasty "Yes" in every situation. But worst of all - Yuna just doesn't sound convincing. We're being told over and over how she's got such resolve, how she's got a will stronger than Gagazet, how she keeps doing the journey out of sheer conviction and love for Spira... But she sounds like a meek, naive girl who is constantly ordered around by every single person she meets. Like, she loving ASKS Auron if Rikku can join. She is bossed around constantly. She doesn't sound like some kind person with a tremendous force of will, she sounds like someone too weak-willed to not do the same thing as her father, which is loving ridiculous when it involves suicide. Like someone constantly intimidated by rocks and squirrels or some poo poo. This is due to her lovely lines as well, I suppose.

Quite a shame, really, 'cause she does some badass things during the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That isn't a fault of the dub. Her Japanese voice actress is even more softspoken and lacking in confidence (and also is a very bad actress.)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Brasseye posted:

Thanks! Ill make a note of this, still in midgar right now but I remember chocobo breeding being kind of a pain so any shortcut I can find is great.

You don't even need to do that. Do you have Dazers and Magic Hammer? Great, you've basically already won.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's almost as if they keep saying that Yuna is strong-willed so that it somehow becomes true.

And I guess it kind of works if only because Tidus is around to teach her how to kind of be a normal human being and enjoy life every once in a god-damned while.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm still trying to get my head around how utterly terrible the remastered music in the FFX HD version sounds compared to the original music from the PS2 soundtrack.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm still trying to get my head around how utterly terrible the remastered music in the FFX HD version sounds compared to the original music from the PS2 soundtrack.

Some of it is better.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

It's not even just that. They reused several lines in different contexts, I believe, which is why you always get the same hasty "Yes" in every situation. But worst of all - Yuna just doesn't sound convincing. We're being told over and over how she's got such resolve, how she's got a will stronger than Gagazet, how she keeps doing the journey out of sheer conviction and love for Spira... But she sounds like a meek, naive girl who is constantly ordered around by every single person she meets. Like, she loving ASKS Auron if Rikku can join. She is bossed around constantly. She doesn't sound like some kind person with a tremendous force of will, she sounds like someone too weak-willed to not do the same thing as her father, which is loving ridiculous when it involves suicide. Like someone constantly intimidated by rocks and squirrels or some poo poo. This is due to her lovely lines as well, I suppose.

Quite a shame, really, 'cause she does some badass things during the game.

I actually really liked that about Yuna's character and I suspect it was purposeful. She is this shy, meek, naive person who decides to follow in her father's footsteps as a summoner primarily because she has strong convictions like he did- she's just not very good at vocalizing them. I think in a way she draws her strength from the people she is around, which makes sense because it's for them that she's even going through the whole pilgrimage thing. She's a bit of a contradiction, sure; but then again, so are most people.

Honestly, both she and Tidus just behave like typical teenagers to me. They're both insecure and unsure of themselves but in different ways. And of course they pretty much start to fall in love with each other from the moment they meet.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 4, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

bloodychill posted:

It's almost as if they keep saying that Yuna is strong-willed so that it somehow becomes true.

And I guess it kind of works if only because Tidus is around to teach her how to kind of be a normal human being and enjoy life every once in a god-damned while.

Yuna actually does have a strong will, I think it's just that everyone that surrounds her pretends she is just weak willed. Her voice doesn't help at all in that regard, but it annoyed me when people said things like "Yuna, send him" when they fought Seymour. Because she was just going to stand there if they hadn't said that, right? Her character traits didn't get to shine through as well as they really should have.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Momomo posted:

Yuna actually does have a strong will, I think it's just that everyone that surrounds her pretends she is just weak willed. Her voice doesn't help at all in that regard, but it annoyed me when people said things like "Yuna, send him" when they fought Seymour. Because she was just going to stand there if they hadn't said that, right? Her character traits didn't get to shine through as well as they really should have.

Eh, she clearly has a very hard time doing what SHE wants instead of what people tell or ask her to do. It's practically a plot point in X-2, that she's trying to learn how to be more assertive. And yet through the majority of the game, she still completely caves and does whatever totally menial task random strangers ask her to do (which is just JRPG syndrome, I know, but it's somehow more in-your-face with her).

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Schwartzcough posted:

Eh, she clearly has a very hard time doing what SHE wants instead of what people tell or ask her to do. It's practically a plot point in X-2, that she's trying to learn how to be more assertive. And yet through the majority of the game, she still completely caves and does whatever totally menial task random strangers ask her to do (which is just JRPG syndrome, I know, but it's somehow more in-your-face with her).

She does get jerked around on a chain a lot, but I was noticing when replaying X that she's the only one to plan anything at all more than a step ahead. The party as a group spends a lot of time either going after Yuna to "save" her from her espionage missions to deal with Seymour or stop these murderous Al Bhed who she's not scared of in the least. I guess it might just be that Tidus is the narrator for the whole thing and he's a big goofy dummy but it seemed like a lot of the conflict in the middle third came from the party rushing as fast as they can to blow her cover.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Actually playing FFX HD made me realize I like FFX way, way more than I thought I did. Honestly the game aged very well, as long as you ignore the terrible minigames and don't try to go for a Platinum. Bit too exhausted to jump straight into FFX-2 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Actually playing FFX HD made me realize I like FFX way, way more than I thought I did. Honestly the game aged very well, as long as you ignore the terrible minigames and don't try to go for a Platinum. Bit too exhausted to jump straight into FFX-2 though.

It might not be that obvious from my posts, given how I spent 90% of it bitching about awful minigames and the soul-eroding task that is Platinum, but I still like this game. It's got surprisingly good charactes, the battle system is really fun whenever it's not "use this character to instantly eliminate the challenge", and the music's nice (no comment on HD remake there - I played with sound off all the time, because I loving HATE HATE HATE the battle theme).

I don't think it's aged well, though. If anything, the HD remake makes it more obvious how stilted the animation was. And, again, the controls are horrible even on the overworld - the only time where they work as expected is the battle screen, which is where it matters most thankfully, and even then there is noticable lag. And the Closter Trials are... ugh. Bevelle. Just Bevelle. I can ignore all those flaws because I appreciate the game's strong points (especially how non-static the battle field feels, with everyone running around and whatnot), but the remake made me, again, painfully aware that those flaws exist.

Anyway, I beat Penance. And then I watched a 10min+ video bridging the game to FF X-2 to earn the final trophy before actually finishing the game. I didn't even notice the Platinum trophy pop up, because I overkilled Ju Yevon and went to get a loving drink. I returned in time to see the most epic high-five of the game. This is it. This is closure. Rest in peace, childhood me, who did not have the patience to farm Ironclad, and who did not go "gently caress that noise" and just farmed a less tedious boss instead.

And I'm not gonna touch FF X-2. I won't believe your lies, FF X-2 fans. :colbert: