Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
I did three years in a call centre (inbound) and I enjoyed it. Good experience. So there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
Is there some in-joke of scaring people away from this sort of thing? It really isn't bad at all compared to the horror stories you guys tell.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

mechacop posted:

Is there some in-joke of scaring people away from this sort of thing? It really isn't bad at all compared to the horror stories you guys tell.

Every call center will be different from the last. For instance, mine would have fallen between hell on earth and Hitler's rear end in a top hat. Then again, I have some friends who work in a different call center that is completely different and a hell of a lot more laid back than mine was.

I would literally get sick going into work each day and the day I walked out of there, it felt like a huge weight had lifted off my chest.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

mechacop posted:

I was literally starting to think about suicide by the time I left and most of my coworkers weren't much better-adjusted. There's also a huge megathread on SA of call center employees with similar sentiments.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

mechacop posted:

The problem is that there are basically two sorts of call centers:

1.) Outbound call centers, cold calling people to try sell them things they don't want. It's basically Glengary Glen Ross, but over the phone. Then there are debt collectors. They basically call up poor people to ask why they haven't paid the money they owe, when the basic answer is that buying food and groceries trump paying down debts.

2.) Inbound call centers. These are the people you have to call because something went wrong. It might be a billing mistake, so now the customer has to spend hours arguing that they don't know anybody in China so why the gently caress they got a $300 phone bill calling China. There's also tech support, which has to deal with people getting upset every time their internet doesn't work perfectly, even if it has nothing to do with a site not working.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 25, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

thrakkorzog posted:

The problem is that there are basically two sorts of call centers:

1.) Outbound call centers, cold calling people to try sell them things they don't want. It's basically Glengary Glen Ross, but over the phone. Then there are debt collectors. They basically call up poor people to ask why they haven't paid the money they owe, when the basic answer is that buying food and groceries trump paying down debts.

2.) Inbound call centers. These are the people you have to call because something went wrong. It might be a billing mistake, so now the customer has to spend hours arguing that they don't know anybody in China so why the gently caress they got a $300 phone bill calling China. There's also tech support, which has to deal with people getting upset every time their internet doesn't work perfectly, even if it has nothing to do with a site not working.

If customers only called for Internet problems that were actually our issues it'd only take 5-10 people to handle calls for the nation's 13th largest isp

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

jassi007 posted:

If customers only called for Internet problems that were actually our issues it'd only take 5-10 people to handle calls for the nation's 13th largest isp

Amen.

Tuesday used to be one of our busiest days of the week when I was working tech support, because that's when Blizzard usually takes down WoW for server maintenance and upgrades. Then all the WoW poopsockers would call in to complain that we were engaged in some sort of conspiracy to keep our customers from playing WoW. My brilliant tech support amounted to saying, "Dude, it's Tuesday, of course the WoW servers are down. They're always down on Tuesdays."

You think you're good at your job, and then your job just becomes telling shutins what day of the week it is.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I did 6 years of call centre work. NEVER AGAIN.

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.
I've worked at a few different call centers over the years, mostly summers or part-time temping. It was always incoming calls only, I never had to sell anything and most of the time I had decent managers and no ridiculous scripts to stick to. Even so, I'm NEVER doing it again.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I just have to ask this: what's the point? I mean, I've never ever ever heard of anyone buying a single thing from a telemarketer in all of my days, so why do these call centers exist? How do they get money? How is it profitable when telemarketers are universally reviled? I just don't understand?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Captain Mog posted:

I just have to ask this: what's the point? I mean, I've never ever ever heard of anyone buying a single thing from a telemarketer in all of my days, so why do these call centers exist? How do they get money? How is it profitable when telemarketers are universally reviled? I just don't understand?
There are enough naive and/or vulnerable people out there.

My Dad nearly fell for a "you can buy this alarm system for 99p! and then spend thousands very year for the service that comes with it", and had spoken to them on the phone several times. It was only when I caught him after a phone call, and Googled the company with him, showing him all the poor reviews (and legal complaints) against them. They were a clever company - they used to market their alarm systems for free, but were forbidden to do so after some legal proceedings against them. Hence, they started marketing them for 99p. He was still not totally convinced by me, but thankfully he discovered they outright lied to him (by saying they had spoken to my mother when they hadn't) and so ignored them after that.

I used to be very afraid that he'd fall for a phishing scam, but he was savvy enough to understand the dangers. I remember him forwarding to me an email from Halifax (major UK bank) saying "Your online banking has been comprimised, please log in here to verify". He asked "is this legitimate or a phishing attempt?". I proceeded to point out to him that he neither banked with Halifax, nor did he use online banking for any of the banks he was with...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mechacop posted:

Its not an in-joke. The vast majority of call centers are hellholes where you are expected to meet ever-increasing arbitrary metrics while being yelled at by customers. Hell, the place I worked at gave you a total of 2 10 minute breaks and 1 30 min lunch, and any time over was docked from your pay, on a ten hour shift. They overwork people in desperate situations and make it harder and harder on them. Hell, turnover was ridiculous, not just from burnout, but the people who had the 25%lowest IR (issue resolution) were fired at the end of each quarter. The problem was, you got docked on your IR for stuff you couldn't fix, such as the customer being 2 states away from their network, and needing it fixed, or them having their internet shut off due to lack of payment and therefore being unable to use our VOIP service. If we couldnt get the customer to say we resolved their issue, and get them to mark it in a survey, our IR was docked.

There were a lot of people I really liked at that call center, but no one, save the owner, was EVER happy there. It was depression in the form of a workplace.

It doesn't feel that way at first. At first, your happy to have a job where you can use your people skills. All you have to do is talk. But the constant wear on you is what kills you. One day isnt bad, a month isnt bad, 4 months is hell.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 27, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Captain Mog posted:

People are so much dumber than you think. I've spoken to people on the phone, who got obviously phishing/scam emails promising money, and they're literally try to talk me into finding a reason why it could be real. Keep in mind I work for an ISP so my responsibility is limited to "thats junk email, delete it." I have to tell them, I wouldn't do it, it is a scam, if you want to go ahead I can't stop you. People are DUMB.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

To the question "how do I not want to kill myself by working in a call center?" I do not have an answer. Just reading this thread is enough to make anyone reach for a gun.

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
I work at a call center (I administer traffic safety surveys) and, to be completely honest, the only thing that makes it tolerable is my xanax and ritalin prescription. I actually need drugs to get through the work day. It's just so awful. Focusing on how I'm going to spend that money also helps.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I have the day off from working on phone systems so I thought I would write about them, and how they are used to make your life suck in a call center.

Companies with large call centers have a private branch exchange (PBX) that is a phone switch that takes external calls and sends then to an agent. PBX's have many features to ensure the calls keep coming and you never get a break.

You can be made an auto in agent. This means that you sit in your cube wearing a headset, and the calls come to you automatically, and once the call ends, you get another one. You do not push a button to answer the call, you just hear a beep and the caller is there. You may not have a button to release the call, which is why some agents have to stay on a call until the caller hangs up. When the call ends you can be put right back into the queue, or you can be set up to get a short amount of time (seconds) so you can write your notes before the next call.

Agents are put in skills. A skill is a group of agents that work on a specific thing, like sales, or computer repair. You can have more than one skill. In fact, some agents work for call center outsourcers and take calls for multiple skills for multiple companies. Assuming you are an auto in agent, you get a beep to let you know a call is coming, then a 'whisper', which tells you the type of call coming in, then another beep and then the call is there. I have seen people with 20 + skills. There will always be calls for you, and Lord help you if you read the wrong script for the wrong skill.

Calls can be observed and recorded. Your supervisor can listen in, and most likely a computer program is recording all calls. There is now software that can review the calls and flag key words and even customer temperament so that supervisors can review anything the software thinks is out of sorts.

When you log in as an agent, your time is tracked. Usually your pay starts at this time. So even if you were in the building, waiting for a spot, or whatever, if you weren't logged in, you are not on the clock. To take breaks, you usually use an aux code to say why you are not available to take calls. Usually any use of these codes is flagged for supervisor review, lest you take your break at the wrong time, use the wrong code, or try to take your break when there are calls in queue. And there are always calls in queue.

There is a lot more to it, including Computer Telephony Integration, the systems that measure every little think you do and match it to other databases to get things like sale rate across calls, and survey scores, but this is too long, and you really need to log back in. There are calls in queue.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

It's a numbers game... they cost little enough that if 2 out of a 100 people bite it's profitable.

Also, lots of them are inbound, so, basically, because it's way cheaper than having regular employees handle customer service inquiries.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
I hate to post here because I have the opposite job everyone else here has...

I work for an unnamed school education company that has zero focus on numbers (outside of schedule adherence, I stayed in wrap for 30 minutes today on accident - oops) ultimate focus on call resolution and customer satisfaction. I take minimal calls per day (which you can tell by 30 minutes of wrap).

I have however worked in a number game call center. I can't say I enjoyed that. My previous call center was Teleperformance, which was almost 8 years ago. I worked in the primary que with Verizon for a while, 7.33 minute call AHT goal, first call resolution goals, forced shift cut offs (even with seconds between calls), etc. So I know how everyone feels. Eventually I was placed on a project with zero AHT goals, primary goals were first call resolution. These calls were much easier to deal with, more rewarding but still ---- the company I worked for.

Where I work now is like a call center paradise. We take a wide array of calls. These calls are mostly simple browser related problems accessing X web-site or password resets, but we're expected to be able to handle the roughest of technological problems if/when they arise. (IE, if you don't know, you better not be asking someone to google it for you). Our support boundaries are limited to the customer's ability within administration privileges. It's nice to not have a support boundary!

I'm probably going to get flamed for this post, because 99.9% of people hate their abusive call center job. I feel your pain, I know, and I'm sorry. My only regret is that this job is a gateway drug to becoming fat again - . -

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I have the day off from working on phone systems so I thought I would write about them, and how they are used to make your life suck in a call center.

Companies with large call centers have a private branch exchange (PBX) that is a phone switch that takes external calls and sends then to an agent. PBX's have many features to ensure the calls keep coming and you never get a break.

You can be made an auto in agent. This means that you sit in your cube wearing a headset, and the calls come to you automatically, and once the call ends, you get another one. You do not push a button to answer the call, you just hear a beep and the caller is there. You may not have a button to release the call, which is why some agents have to stay on a call until the caller hangs up. When the call ends you can be put right back into the queue, or you can be set up to get a short amount of time (seconds) so you can write your notes before the next call.

Agents are put in skills. A skill is a group of agents that work on a specific thing, like sales, or computer repair. You can have more than one skill. In fact, some agents work for call center outsourcers and take calls for multiple skills for multiple companies. Assuming you are an auto in agent, you get a beep to let you know a call is coming, then a 'whisper', which tells you the type of call coming in, then another beep and then the call is there. I have seen people with 20 + skills. There will always be calls for you, and Lord help you if you read the wrong script for the wrong skill.

Calls can be observed and recorded. Your supervisor can listen in, and most likely a computer program is recording all calls. There is now software that can review the calls and flag key words and even customer temperament so that supervisors can review anything the software thinks is out of sorts.

When you log in as an agent, your time is tracked. Usually your pay starts at this time. So even if you were in the building, waiting for a spot, or whatever, if you weren't logged in, you are not on the clock. To take breaks, you usually use an aux code to say why you are not available to take calls. Usually any use of these codes is flagged for supervisor review, lest you take your break at the wrong time, use the wrong code, or try to take your break when there are calls in queue. And there are always calls in queue.

There is a lot more to it, including Computer Telephony Integration, the systems that measure every little think you do and match it to other databases to get things like sale rate across calls, and survey scores, but this is too long, and you really need to log back in. There are calls in queue.

Wow, this was my exact last job to a T. Except that you missed the lovely management pieces. "Sure, legally we have to give you two 15 minute breaks and 1 30 minute lunch. But we can't ever have two people on break at the same time, so you get to come in, work for 30 minutes, get your first break, take your lunch after 5 more hours then 15 minutes after that, you get your last break. What? No you can't switch, fuckhead. That will throw the whole system out of balance."

Meanwhile, the douchebag behind me is sleeping, with his head resting on a balled up sweater like this is loving kindergarten.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
I worked 8 years at Dell in tech support, started handling desktops and laptops for the first 4 years and then upskilled to servers, switches, and other enterprise hardware.

The customers were not the problem. I initially had problems with some customers (particularly those that wanted help with unsupported issues, such as wireless configs, spyware and such) but eventually you learned to negotiate and direct customers to the right company (no sir, Dell doesn't have to configure your wireless router for you) for help in those cases.

I worked initially with the US, small and medium business division and those customers were pretty cool. They were usually people who bought or leased their computers through their work. The work was relatively simple until they started measuring customer satisfaction, CSAT. That's when the job became poo poo. Its very hard to deliver a good experience when damagement is doing their darnest to ensure the customers are pissed. Their scatter-brained, penny-pinching ideas ALWAYS ended causing problems. Like the time they decided they would not ship Windows CDs to their customers but refused to include any documentation to let them know. They would include the OS and reinstallation media in a partition where the customers would burn them (because customers buying and burning their own media is a better idea than providing a factory-pressed, tested disk). Usually customers only figured this out when the hard drive died so your magical partition was hosed. So you had to replace the hard drive, SEND them the CDs and explain to the customer why the company did this.

Once the CSAT numbers tanked, I took the chance to move over to the Latin America & The Caribbean because I knew the US department would get partially poo poo-canned. The job was pretty much the same. The main difference is that Latin American customers are less eager to dissasemble their computers to aid troubleshooting. The main challenge was working with the customers various accents. Spanish sounds the same pretty much, regardless of the country of the speaker. Even the italianicized Argentinian porteño accent is perfectly understandable. Curt accents like the Chilean one, are slightly harder to understand because they tend to mumble a lot. English, however, is an entirely different ballpark. Caribbean accents are problematic because many islands speak a second language (French in Haiti, St. Lucia, Dutch in Curacao) which influences how they pronounce words. Cat sounds like Kiet when speaking to someone from Trinidad. Despite the communication challenges, I didn't have problems because customers and service providers are inherently polite. Furthermore, they are the most relaxed and chill people in the world. They were unflappable even when you told them that their parts weren't available.

Enterprise customers were even easier to handle as they knew exactly what they were entitled to.

The problem with Dell is that being a monolithic company with over 300000+ employees, you are nothing but a grain of sand. The company is not interested in your opinion, only that you work. You have to support every idiotic idea that damagement shits out, even if they meant you get screwed. Their last clever plan to make Tech Support generate some revenue (because warranty support is just a cost...people would buy Dells without warranty, right?) was to make their techs sell warranty contracts and spare parts too. Initially it was supposed to be conditional. If the customer wants to renew their warranty, you could quote and sell it to them. A quarter later, they got greedy and instituted a quota that every techie was supposed to meet. You didn't get commissions, just a bonus ($150 max), provided you met every metric goal. So you could sell $150000 and get a single negative customer survey, BAM! No bonus for you.

I learned a lot at Dell, tech-wise. I learned even more about myself. Thanks to the toxic environment, I learned I'm a schizoid after my doctor figured out that my 14 years of suffering depression were not a phase. I learned to hate. Previous to this, I had never experienced that burning feeling against another person. They say anger is a sin, that it is an unhealthy emotion. Its bullshit. Anger, properly controlled can help control depressive feelings and get you out of a rut. It can burn that scab caused by self-pity and sadness and leave clean, cautherized scars.

Digitalnfluence
Nov 11, 2004
There seems to be a porblem.
Do lots of drugs, slam lots of customers, get everything promised to you in writing, x, profit?

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Well I just quit my job working as a cold caller for an IT security firm. It's been a difficult couple of months as I've finally have to admit to myself the job I am doing is lovely, and it's making me unhappy. I had a word with my boss about it and we both come to the agreement it was best I just go. I'm glad I ended it on good terms and not blowing my lid and storming off (which is what I was coming close to doing).

I've learnt not to take jobs out of desperation and pretend I can do everything that is asked of me since it takes a certain type of person to constantly call strangers and hound them with questions for the small chance of a sale. I have too much empathy to be tenacious, and I take on board everything people say to me personally and it was making me seriously unhappy either never speaking to anyone in an entire day or just being rejected each call.

I now need to get a job with the ultimatum that I stay far away from call centres and call based job roles that require ever demanding targets.

What have I done is pretty ballsy as I have left without another job to jump straight in to but that is my next step and my father mentioned the possibility of working for him abroad in logistics (which is what I originally studied for). Big chapter in my life, but I echo what everyone else has mentioned here.

You probably took a call centre job because of little else on the market or limited options and it's not truly what you want to do. Don't let it affect you personally get out as quick as you can and avoid that sector now that you have experienced it. There are better jobs out there and you are good enough to get them.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
I will never understand why people will work at a job that entails doing something to someone that they wouldn't want done to them, and then even further, have the gall to complain about how miserable those people are to them.

If you stay as a cold caller, customers are going to treat you like poo poo at worst, curtly at best. I work 12-14 hour days and am barely scraping by. The last thing I want when I come home exhausted and hungry is for my phone to ring and have some rear end in a top hat on the other end trying to sell me a home alarm system. If you call me I will hang up on you, because I've learned that saying "no thanks" isn't good enough to make you stop. If you call again, I'll be mean.

So the answer to your question is: if you want to be happy, get a job that doesn't involve harassing people in their homes.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Part of Everything posted:

I will never understand why people will work at a job that entails doing something to someone that they wouldn't want done to them, and then even further, have the gall to complain about how miserable those people are to them.

If you stay as a cold caller, customers are going to treat you like poo poo at worst, curtly at best. I work 12-14 hour days and am barely scraping by. The last thing I want when I come home exhausted and hungry is for my phone to ring and have some rear end in a top hat on the other end trying to sell me a home alarm system. If you call me I will hang up on you, because I've learned that saying "no thanks" isn't good enough to make you stop. If you call again, I'll be mean.

So the answer to your question is: if you want to be happy, get a job that doesn't involve harassing people in their homes.

If you don't want to be too tired to deal with a phone call when you come home from work, I guess get a job where you can afford to work once a year and then live on the Moon where there aren't any phones.

Or maybe you can realize that you and the person on the other end of the phone are just humans who didn't choose the economy they live in.

edit: I'm not a fan of this thread's direction. It started out with someone asking how they can be happier with their work and became a place for people to vindicate their rudeness to strangers.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 9, 2014

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

gently caress off, dude. Nobody wakes up and says "You know what I'd like to do? A demeaning job where both management and clientele treat you with contempt, for poo poo pay."

If you don't want to be called again ask to be placed on a do-not-call list because otherwise you will be called again. The dialers are usually computerized and when they aren't calling you back is the policy. It's not in the hands of the guy making barely more than minimum wage whom you're abusing.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 9, 2014

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
I am on the national do not call list, actually. I still get anywhere from 2-10 calls a day, including weekends and sometimes 9pm or later. It wears on you after awhile. I used to be polite and listen, but when they became aggressive after I said "no thanks" or "sorry, I'm not interested," I'd start hanging up. I had several call back over and over after I ended the conversation. It borders on harassment and that's not okay. If I'm being disturbed without my consent in my home and I say goodbye, they should be hanging up.

Call centers aren't the only jobs that are plentiful in this economy. There is also food service or retail, places where you'd definitely get treated better.

vvv I'm going to do that, thanks. I have call display so I can get some of the numbers, but a lot just say "private caller". Interestingly enough I read last night that two people in my area were charged after homeowners called police regarding aggressive door to door solicitations complete with threats. It really does suck that way in my area. vvv

I won't post further since I didn't mean to initiate a derail.

Part of Everything fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 9, 2014

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

I am on the national do not call list, actually. I still get anywhere from 2-10 calls a day, including weekends and sometimes 9pm or later. It wears on you after awhile. I used to be polite and listen, but when they became aggressive after I said "no thanks" or "sorry, I'm not interested," I'd start hanging up. I had several call back over and over after I ended the conversation. It borders on harassment and that's not okay. If I'm being disturbed without my consent in my home and I say goodbye, they should be hanging up.

Call centers aren't the only jobs that are plentiful in this economy. There is also food service or retail, places where you'd definitely get treated better.

If you're really getting unsolicited phone calls after hours, please file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. Here is a link to the FTC complaint page: https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx . Investigating shady call centers are easy slam dunk cases for them.

It takes all of about five minutes to file a complaint, especially if the number shows up in your caller ID.

Let's face it, the people running those call centers aren't going to care that they're violating the law until some cops show up at their door. They get away with it because people just hang up, and don't bother to file complaints. Please file a complaint.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 9, 2014

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Make an effort not to be petty or glib. There are a thousand factors into which low-wage jobs a worker will take, and about 89% of them are less negotiable and more important than 'How will the customers treat me there?'. Availability, hours, transportation, benefits, pay, skill match, take your pick.

ShitThatDoesntHappen.txt

My business doesn't get ten cold calls a day.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Why don't you just get a job where you work fewer hours and get more money?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I will say the one thing that really pisses me off is when the person doing the cold call doesn't take a hint. My standard line, business or personal, is "I'm going to stop you here and save you some time: we/I don't accept any form of telephone solicitation or survey. Have a nice day!" 9 times out of 10, this works and the person phoning wishes me a nice day and then the call ends. However, the other times, when they get indignant (or try some poo poo like "this isn't a solicitation!"; you called asking for the manager of the business from a business we've never done work with before, what the gently caress else is it going to be?): that's when they get told to shove it up their rear end and gently caress off.

I bear no particular ill will to people doing their jobs, but if you're going to be a dick about it, I have no problem escalating the level of dickishness to things no telemarketer would dare say on the telephone.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

PT6A posted:

I will say the one thing that really pisses me off is when the person doing the cold call doesn't take a hint. My standard line, business or personal, is "I'm going to stop you here and save you some time: we/I don't accept any form of telephone solicitation or survey. Have a nice day!" 9 times out of 10, this works and the person phoning wishes me a nice day and then the call ends. However, the other times, when they get indignant (or try some poo poo like "this isn't a solicitation!"; you called asking for the manager of the business from a business we've never done work with before, what the gently caress else is it going to be?): that's when they get told to shove it up their rear end and gently caress off.

I bear no particular ill will to people doing their jobs, but if you're going to be a dick about it, I have no problem escalating the level of dickishness to things no telemarketer would dare say on the telephone.

Many outbound call centers have rules that amount to "don't take no for an answer" It is often not the choice of the person on the phone to continue, so try just hanging up. Sometimes lovely jobs have lovely rules, that doesn't mean the human being on the other end of the phone is a jerk.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jassi007 posted:

that doesn't mean the human being on the other end of the phone is a jerk.

Well, it kinda does. I have no problem with people calling me, I have a problem when I tell them politely that I'm not interested and they push the matter. Some have called me back two further occasions, which is just un-loving-acceptable.

On the other hand, when I've been cold-called by small businesses that don't use a lovely loving script, and actually present their case quickly and well, I actually do bend my own rules and sometimes buy their service or at least listen to their pitch.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I will not go into a telemarketer rant, but I just want to say, as a phone guy, the best way to deal with telemarketers is to say, "Hello? Hello? Anyone there? I am sorry I cannot hear you." And then hang up. Phone systems are finicky things, and the agent usually has a way to code a call as bad. If enough people did this, it would waste a lot of the telemarketing company's time and money. Plus the agent calling gets a call that is short, and can be coded such that the lack of a sale does not count against them.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I occasionaly have to do outbound calls as part of my job, specifically when a representative of another insurance company calls us to advise one of our clients has been involved in an accident with them (and we don't already have a report from our customer), I have to try and call our client to get their side of the story. People assume I'm a telemarketer a lot, and often either hang up on me or just say "not interested" in the middle of me explaining that I'm calling from their insurance company, and then hang up. People are a lot more likely to do this, I think, if they haven't actually had an accident (and the problem is that the other insurance company just has the wrong vehicle registration). They do sometimes get angry when I immediately call them back, but hey, I'm giving you a second chance to save your no claims bonus, you deserve it even if you throw it back in my face.

The last chance comes in the form of a letter, so if you're (not directed at anyone here) the type of person who just hangs up without listening if you get a cold call, you'd better hope to hell that letter doesn't get lost in the post or sent to an old address you forgot to change with us, or you might just end up with an accident on your claims history you weren't even involved in.

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.

PT6A posted:

Well, it kinda does. I have no problem with people calling me, I have a problem when I tell them politely that I'm not interested and they push the matter. Some have called me back two further occasions, which is just un-loving-acceptable.

I'd just like to reiterate: the person is probably pushing ahead or calling you back because of their work policies, not because there's anything wrong with them as people. One of my friends worked at a call center and they had a policy where they had to ask the person to donate money three times and could get in trouble if they didn't ask three times. Even if the person said a resounding "no, gently caress you" and hung up the first time, they were required to keep calling back until they had asked three times or the person stopped picking up the phone.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

They have to do those things or they'll lose their job. If you're so concerned, you can tell them you want to be put on the do-not-call list, which they're legally obligated to honor. Or you could just not say anything and just hang up; that's one of the least rude things people do so NBD.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Captain Mog posted:

I worked at a UPS store for a while back in 2004 or so, and I saw maybe a dozen people come into the store because they wanted to fax their information to somebody in Africa for the Nigerian Prince scam. We managed to talk about half of them out of it, but the other half just could NOT be convinced that it was a scam and that there was no Nigerian windfall in their future.

Sucker born every minute, man.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

They have to do those things or they'll lose their job. If you're so concerned, you can tell them you want to be put on the do-not-call list, which they're legally obligated to honor. Or you could just not say anything and just hang up; that's one of the least rude things people do so NBD.

Sigh, rant on.

1. If you take a job where your job is to be a jerk to people, what do you think people's response is going to be? I don't understand how you think it is okay for them to be pushy assholes, but it is wrong to throw their poo poo back at them. The fact that they earn money to do it makes it even worse. If I went around messing with people on the street, I would expect people to get in my face, and if I used the excuse, 'but I am getting paid to paid to mess with you', I would expect to get my rear end kicked.

2. They are calling me, using sales tactics (ie, lying and manipulation) to try to get me to spend too much money on things I don't need. They are using my time and my phone for their business. My phone, my rules, and my rules say that if you bug me at home, I tell you what a scumbag you are.

3. Admittedly, since I have been on the no call list for 10 years, the only calls I get any more are people who are complete scammers (Rachel from Cardholder services), so my sample is skewed.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sigh, rant on.

1. If you take a job where your job is to be a jerk to people, what do you think people's response is going to be? I don't understand how you think it is okay for them to be pushy assholes, but it is wrong to throw their poo poo back at them. The fact that they earn money to do it makes it even worse. If I went around messing with people on the street, I would expect people to get in my face, and if I used the excuse, 'but I am getting paid to paid to mess with you', I would expect to get my rear end kicked.

2. They are calling me, using sales tactics (ie, lying and manipulation) to try to get me to spend too much money on things I don't need. They are using my time and my phone for their business. My phone, my rules, and my rules say that if you bug me at home, I tell you what a scumbag you are.

3. Admittedly, since I have been on the no call list for 10 years, the only calls I get any more are people who are complete scammers (Rachel from Cardholder services), so my sample is skewed.

Your an idealistic prick. Sometimes people take the job they can get to get the money they need to live their life. They do what they have to, it doesn't hurt your or take more time to not be an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sigh, rant on.

Congratulations! You've clearly never been so hard-up or down on your luck that you've had to work in a lovely call centre! Aren't you just speaking from a position of unassailable privilege, judging someone who most likely hates every minute of the lovely minimum-wage job they have to do because there aren't any better choices!

The people calling you aren't calling you because they want to.

• Locked thread