Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Because this thread is normally pretty slow and this is something to keep us occupied. :)

It also gives a pretty decent view of normal purchasing decisions as opposed to a bunch of angry nerds hating on something about polygons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

It also gives a pretty decent view of normal purchasing decisions as opposed to a bunch of angry nerds hating on something about polygons.

Value for money is a pretty normal purchasing decision but warrior away I guess.

Fame Lifeles
Nov 25, 2013

"I've never modelled a blue tit in my life."
:raise:
I am literally an alt account for 343 Industries employee
:siren: -A n i m 8- :siren:

I love them big blue holographic TITTAYS!

:pervert:

Chamber 9 posted:

I would like to preface with this: I am not posting this to troll or harass. I want to hear your side of the story; I'm genuinely interested.

I'd really appreciate sincere responses.

Why did you choose the Xbox One over the PS4?
I chose the Xbox One because the PS4 has no games that aren't poo poo. I also hate that the PS4 has a terrible controller that beams a giant light onto the TV screen, and as a side effect of the wonderful light the battery lasts on average around half a play session. I also like the kinect, it's very handy for Netflix and browsing around cable channels. I wouldn't want to go back to having to turn on a controller just to rewind a movie or change netflix series like some stinking poor peasant.

Did you know about each console's strength's and weaknesses before purchasing?
Some of the launch cross platform games ran at a lower resolution on Xbox One so a lower res is not surprising. The difference in resolution is smaller in wolfenstein and watch dogs though, to the point it would be very difficult to notice.

How do you feel about a controller that has 50 dollars in attachments just to be rechargeable and support headsets?
The Xbox One controller is a much nice feeling controller than the PS4's, plus it has the added benefit of not having the analog sticks fall apart when you touch them. I got 4 eneloops and a wall charger for $24.99, meaning I always have a spare set of batteriess that last 20+ hours of game time. Also I'll never have to face replacing my whole controller because the internal battery pack has diminished to 5 minutes of battery life and has been built to be un-replaceable. I don't have a headset.

Do you regret buying an Xbox One?
No.

Do you plan on getting a PS4 or transitioning to PC?
No, there were only two games that were semi interesting for the PS4. The Order 1996 has fallen into the abyss and looks worse with each canned gameplay video, and I would have been quite annoyed at having to wait an extra year for the 30 frames per second wondergame Driveclub. Less than 50 cars also sounds pretty weak. I wouldn't play Knack or Killzone even if they were free (no sign of non indie games in PS+ anyway). On top of this the two best PS studios (naughty Dog and Sucker Punch) have completely fallen apart in recent months, future doesn't look too rosy. PC's are for nerds.

Does the lack of bluetooth support or upgradable hard drive bother you?
Hard Drive support is days away, I'm only 65% full anyway.

Is your friends list smaller than you would have expected for this console?
Maxed out.

Interviewer: What is the appeal of a multi-platform game on the One if it isn't the graphics or frame rate? Sure, the game can still be enjoyable without the visual bells and whistles, but the games and consoles are the same price. Higher frame rate and resolution don't cost extra.
I like that when I say "xbox record that" or use the game DVR it actually records the relevant portion of gameplay, not some random clip from two hours ago. I can snap TV and concurrently WIN at madden. The extra games available on Xbox one that aren't available on PS4 outweigh the benefit of potentially looking through binoculars at my paused screen and noticing less "jaggies".

Looking back, would you have rather bought a PS4 for cross-platform, enjoyed better game quality, and bought an Xbox One solely for the exclusives, once those exclusives come out? After all, the PS4 would probably have some exclusive's you'd like.
There's already a whole bunch of games you can play on your Xbox that you can't play on PS4. It'd have been worth it for Titanfall alone, but I also enjoyed Dead Rising, Forza, Super Time Force and Plants VZ Zombies. There's only one game on the PS4 that I would like to play but can't - Resogun. If I wasn't interested in the Xbox One games I listed I would have waited until the PS4 had a good exclusive, so I wouldn't imagine I'd have been buying a console in the next 6 months.

You should do this questionnaire in the PS4 thread, I could help you come up with some good questions.

Stux posted:

Value for money is a pretty normal purchasing decision but warrior away I guess.

This is a good point. With the bundles going around the Xbox has effectively been around the same price as PS4 anyway. The Xbox is about to become the same price as the PS4 with the kinectless bundle, apart from in Australia and Canada where the Xbox will be $50 cheaper. Much better value for money, especially with games for gold dropping.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Fame Lifeles posted:

This is a good point. With the bundles going around the Xbox has effectively been around the same price as PS4 anyway. The Xbox is about to become the same price as the PS4 with the kinectless bundle, apart from in Australia and Canada where the Xbox will be $50 cheaper. Much better value for money, especially with games for gold dropping.

The same price for less hardware is not good value for money any way you slice it. It being more up until recently only made it worse at launch.

Post the thread.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Stux posted:

The same price for less hardware is not good value for money any way you slice it. It being more up until recently only made it worse at launch.

Post the thread.

Christ almighty. Find a real hobby. Make some friends. Go outside.

You're embarrassing yourself.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I haven't spent a single penny on the Xbone and I've got more entertainment out of it and its delusional fanbase than any console I've owned. You can't beat value like that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

eyebeem posted:

Hobbyshaming?? mods??

Fame Lifeles
Nov 25, 2013

Stux posted:

Post the thread.

The flip side of that coin would be in Aus and Can, more money for less games :|

Almost Smart posted:

I haven't spent a single penny on the Xbone and I've got more entertainment out of it and its delusional fanbase than any console I've owned. You can't beat value like that.

Pirating.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Xbone has private Web browsing so I can fap with peace of mind. This is the killer xbone feature.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Fame Lifeles posted:

and as a side effect of the wonderful light the battery lasts on average around half a play session.

Why are you playing video games for 15+ hours straight?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

eyebeem posted:

Posting does take up like 12 hours a day, typing words takes a long time :(

Fame Lifeles posted:

The flip side of that coin would be in Aus and Can, more money for less games :|

Pirating.

More money for a relative amount of more hardware in two markets. But yeah PS4 is getting no more releases now you're right argh!

Fame Lifeles
Nov 25, 2013

big mean giraffe posted:

Why are you playing video games for 15+ hours straight?

Mom... is that you?

I forgot to mention killer instinct, I been playing a ton of that too. Great exclusive, and due to get even better with the next season addition.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Have they discussed what's happening with Killer Instinct yet?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Getting taken over by real fighting game company, probably can't be made particularly more interesting than it is now. Killer Instinct 2 might be pretty solid.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Dan Didio posted:

They're showing off "Season 2" at E3. Sounds like it'll be DLC, not a whole new game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My controller's right thumb stick has a tendency to send "up" signals when it should be in neutral. Anyone know a quickfix?

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants

Saladman posted:

So is Games with Gold "June" actually going to happen in June, or is Microsoft so freaked out about E3 they forgot Phil Spencer told them they were supposed to make Max and Halo Spartan Assault free this month?

It's out now

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

VincesUndies posted:

It's out now

Yep:

quote:

Good news for Xbox Live Gold members: Games with Gold and Deals with Gold for Xbox One are now available. As detailed last month, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and Halo: Spartan Assault can be downloaded from the Xbox Games store for free with your Xbox Live Gold membership.

Additionally, Xbox One Deals with Gold is also live; purchase Crimson Dragon at 50% off.

When the June system update is rolled out soon, you’ll find a new hub in Xbox One for exploring all of the great benefits available to Xbox Live Gold members, including Games with Gold and Deals with Gold. We’ll update you when the system update becomes available.

http://majornelson.com/2014/06/03/xbox-one-games-with-gold-are-now-available-for-download/

EDIT:

THe installs seem broken for me, they get to 100% and then error out with "installation stopped" and a hexadecimal error code which doesn't return any results on xbox.com

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 3, 2014

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Maneki Neko posted:

THe installs seem broken for me, they get to 100% and then error out with "installation stopped" and a hexadecimal error code which doesn't return any results on xbox.com

Not sure if it was only a temporary problem or if it's because I'm in the previews but they installed fine for me.

Forza Horizon 2 Preview :swoon:.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/06/03/a-sunday-drive-with-forza-horizon-2-ign-first

quote:

The racers hit the gas and, almost instantly, the bulk of them divert through a nearby field of crops in a desperate scramble to save a few seconds on the way to the first checkpoint.

quote:

But Playground wants to take that further, so the team has torn down the barriers that largely kept us from leaving the road in the original Forza Horizon. It’s this new philosophy that had us bouncing across a field in the race we described in the intro. Even from this single event it’s clear to us how dramatic a shift for the better this is compared to the original Horizon.

quote:

We watch as a car eases along a road; the game is in solo mode and the map is packed with traffic, lighting and atmospheric conditions, and Drivatars that are all unique to this particular session. With the press of a button, the game camera shifts around the front of the car (which is still moving) while the game transitions from solo mode to online play. In the space of half a sentence, the Drivatars are replaced with real players, and conditions and traffic are synced with an online session-in-progress. All the while the car is still cruising down the very same road, exactly where it was seconds before. Seamless, indeed.

I'm not interested in standard Forza, but Forza Horizon 2 sounds pretty amazing to me.

There'll also be a teaser video this week and then real footage next week at E3.

Ronald Duck fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 4, 2014

Barfoid 3
Jun 1, 2013

by Lowtax
did e3 happen yet and was there anything funny, fail, etc?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Barfoid 3 posted:

did e3 happen yet and was there anything funny, fail, etc?

Yes and no, no, no.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Soonmot posted:

My controller's right thumb stick has a tendency to send "up" signals when it should be in neutral. Anyone know a quickfix?

None known and you're not alone, there's at least one angry guy on youtube ranting about it. Pretty sure it's eligible for RMA

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So much for the Games With Gold launch. I updated the console, downloaded Spartan Assault and Max and neither will install. Both of them give an error that an update is required to complete the install. The update that was already applied. :smith:

Anyone see the same problem?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MrLonghair posted:

None known and you're not alone, there's at least one angry guy on youtube ranting about it. Pretty sure it's eligible for RMA

Things break sometimes, it's a bummer but just one of those things I guess.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ultimate Mango posted:

So much for the Games With Gold launch. I updated the console, downloaded Spartan Assault and Max and neither will install. Both of them give an error that an update is required to complete the install. The update that was already applied. :smith:

Anyone see the same problem?

Same deal, completely broken.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

MrLonghair posted:

Ah, good to know. My googlefu was weak, I guess

EDIT: RMA requires me to send the controller back before they ship a new one instead of putting a hold on a credit card and shipping the new item first. Might as well just buy a new controller since I only have the one.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 4, 2014

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
If I just have a 360 and an active Gold subscription, can I claim the free Xbox One games? I'm trying to search for them on Xbox.com and they don't show up. Actually, no Xbox One games are showing at all!

Edit: Figured it out. Have to go to the Xbox One games page and then click on a gray box in the middle of the page?? Apparently the search function completely ignores the existence of Xbox One.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 4, 2014

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

King Burgundy posted:

Same deal, completely broken.

Dashboard update is being released to everyone, which should solve that problem http://majornelson.com/2014/06/03/available-starting-today-external-storage-real-names-gold-benefits-and-more/

quote:

external storage, the ability to use your real name on Xbox Live, and improved SmartGlass integration. Both the Xbox One and Xbox 360 system updates will begin rolling out globally this week, giving fans more ways than ever to enjoy the best in gaming and entertainment with Xbox.

quote:

Additionally, in the coming days, Hulu will begin rolling out a free 3-month trial of Hulu Plus for all Xbox Live Gold members in the U.S. Any Xbox Live Gold members who are not already Hulu Plus subscribers can sign up directly from within the Hulu Plus app and will receive a free 3-month trial of Hulu Plus. For more information, visit https://www.xbox.com/live

Bass Bottles posted:

If I just have a 360 and an active Gold subscription, can I claim the free Xbox One games? I'm trying to search for them on Xbox.com and they don't show up. Actually, no Xbox One games are showing at all!

Edit: Figured it out. Have to go to the Xbox One games page and then click on a gray box in the middle of the page?? Apparently the search function completely ignores the existence of Xbox One.

The xbox.com website still likes to pretend that the Xbox One doesn't exist. https://store.xbox.com is the website for Xbox One games.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Yup, June update fixed the problem for me!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Chick3n posted:

Dashboard update is being released to everyone, which should solve that problem http://majornelson.com/2014/06/03/available-starting-today-external-storage-real-names-gold-benefits-and-more/

The xbox.com website still likes to pretend that the Xbox One doesn't exist. https://store.xbox.com is the website for Xbox One games.

Confirmed fixed!

Also added the website link for the xbox one store to the OP.

Didn't they say there would be a new section in the store to highlight Games With Gold stuff? I'm not seeing it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

King Burgundy posted:

Confirmed fixed!

Also added the website link for the xbox one store to the OP.

Didn't they say there would be a new section in the store to highlight Games With Gold stuff? I'm not seeing it.

They did, it looks like it's 2 steps to the store now instead of one, I'm guessing the new store front page is going to have those going forward.

EDIT:

Weirdly, the only place I've actually seen mention of "deals with gold" is in the "store" button inside of Max, so I'm guessing someone just didn't press the UPDATE STORE TILEZ bhutan or something.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 4, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hopefully the Games With Gold stuff will come in an update.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

peter gabriel posted:

Hopefully the Games With Gold stuff will come in an update.

What do you mean? You can download the games now, and it looks like they added a tile this morning to the dash:

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/474213560629727233/photo/1

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ooops, I missed that, sorry.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Can you play videos off an external hard drive yet?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Nope.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Chick3n posted:

They're showing off "Season 2" at E3. Sounds like it'll be DLC, not a whole new game.

More likely: they saw LoL and were like "They use the word season in that popular competitve game! That's probably what makes it so popular!"

Because Microsoft.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Harry Privates posted:

Can you play videos off an external hard drive yet?

Me?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Barudak posted:

Getting taken over by real fighting game company, probably can't be made particularly more interesting than it is now. Killer Instinct 2 might be pretty solid.

:cawg:

Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I downloaded Max and Halo and can't install them because of the hexadecimal error. Edit: I see there's now a way to force update your console; too bad "XBox, Update" doesn't work, and looking online has a bunch of people saying it's impossible (I guess it was until the last update?), and it's awesome that the Xbox doesn't bring it up when I boot up the system that there's an update available, or that when I install a game that fails, it doesn't tell me I should update my firmware.

Christ, between buying an XBone and buying BF4 for XBone, I've boned myself pretty goddamn loving hard by paying large amounts of money for alpha quality software. At least this current BF4 update might make it playable (??) without terrible netcode problems.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 4, 2014

• Locked thread