Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
"This is some weird architecture in this church-"
"It's a chapel."

Well that explains it. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wikipedia posted:

McDonald's began offering the Mighty Kids Meal on March 30, 2001, as a response to Burger King's Big Kids Meal, which had debuted in 1998.
:goonsay:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Augh, you forgave her! Pretty sure that's the wrong thing to do.

e: Wait nevermind, it makes no difference the first time.

midwat
May 6, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Wait, wait, wait... you're saying a Silent Hill game places an inordinate amount of importance on an obscure game decision?!?!?!?!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

ChairMaster posted:

Really, I thought it directly affected the ending? Man it's been a long time since I played this.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

PSWII60 posted:

Really, I thought it directly affected the ending? Man it's been a long time since I played this.

You always get the good ending the first time you play, turns out.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I've constructed a graph which I think clearly illustrates the key issue with these Silent Hill Let's Plays.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Mister Chief posted:

I've constructed a graph which I think clearly illustrates the key issue with these Silent Hill Let's Plays.

It'd be like a hotel for dogs, except instead of a hotel it's a repetitive joke, and instead of for dogs, it's for people who insist that everything be run into the ground until it's painful. :colbert:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

It'd be like a hotel for dogs, except instead of a hotel it's a repetitive joke, and instead of for dogs, it's for people who insist that everything be run into the ground until it's painful. :colbert:

The schadenfreude just makes it funnier. Just like puns.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Mister Chief posted:

Gotta admit, this was one of my favorite parts of the SH2 LP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnpPwA0-JGQ&t=1258s

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
I've never considered myself much of a sadist, but I love the little sigh Kyle gives every time he starts playing SH3. It's like watching a man in prison wake up and remember where he is.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Silent Hill 4 should be streamed so we can experience the magic live.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
If there's a Silent Hill to break them, it's The Room.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I liked Silent Hill 4 more than 3. Really, of the first four, three was my least favorite (I still liked it though). SH4 was the most unsettling for sure, but I don't think K&K will like it specifically because they have a habit of defeating atmosphere.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 5, 2014

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
To be clear, Kyle and I hate the Hotel for Dogs joke. Neither of us think it's funny at all, that's why we keep doing it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ProfessorBooty posted:

I liked Silent Hill 4 more than 3. Really, of the first four, three was my least favorite (I still liked it though). SH4 was the most unsettling for sure, but I don't think K&K will like it specifically because they have a habit of defeating atmosphere.

4 is easily my favorite of the first 4 games. It has some really weird, hosed up, interesting stuff in it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I liked the first half of 4 a lot! Then the second half happened and I couldn't even finish it.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 22: Closer Than Ever
You ever get that feeling that Church just keeps going on forever?

Somethingdumb posted:

To be clear, Kyle and I hate the Hotel for Dogs joke. Neither of us think it's funny at all, that's why we keep doing it.
To be clear, I don't hate the Hotel for Dogs joke and it is funny. But it's funny because it's an intentionally bad joke.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

19LettersLong posted:

To be clear, I don't hate the Hotel for Dogs joke and it is funny. But it's funny because it's an intentionally bad joke.

I like this explanation far better.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
It seems that SH3 could be a better game.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Giggs posted:

It seems that SH3 could be a better game.

It boils down to how much you like this style of survival horror.

From a game mechanics standpoint, Silent Hill--and classic Resident Evil--are clunky, clumsy, and an odd mix of Adventure Game Logic and Bad Combat Mechanics, where you are purposefully limited by your ability to move and fight, encouraging you to run away, to heighten tension. SH3 in this regard is very good in that department because almost every enemy is a huge health sponge that is a waste of time to try and kill.

In pure game mechanics, the best horror franchise is Fatal Frame, because the horror is accentuated--and built into--the gameplay. In order to damage enemies, you must allow them to come as close as possible to harming you, in order to score a Fatal Frame and deal critical damage. This makes the combat not a chore and enemies not an obstacle but rather a central aspect of the game's horror, with the exploration and adventure game puzzles merely being trappings to curtail your progress. These games have their flaws too, but no horror game beyond perhaps Amnesia has so elegantly made their gameplay an integral aspect of the horror of the game.

That said, Silent Hill 3 is probably the best of the "pure" Silent Hill games, its gameplay being a refinement of everything brought up in one and two. The Room has a lot of clever ideas and some very scary moments, primarilly with the apartment setting, but is so dissimilar from classic Silent Hills that it's origins as a seperate game entirely are difficult to ignore and it feels like it would have worked much better had the name Silent Hill not been attached to it--although it's storyline is probably the most interesting one since the first game.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
You ran right past WOLF at 18:51 aaaahhhhhhhhhh

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You guys missed a weird thing while you were talking about World of Tanks but I don't think it would have made a difference in your perception of the game anyway. :ohdear:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

You guys missed a weird thing while you were talking about World of Tanks but I don't think it would have made a difference in your perception of the game anyway. :ohdear:

What?

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

you were warned posted:

You ran right past WOLF at 18:51 aaaahhhhhhhhhh
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :negative:

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

19LettersLong posted:

Part 22: Closer Than Ever
You ever get that feeling that Church just keeps going on forever?
That's basically what I meant.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

19LettersLong posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :negative:

...So does that bring Silent Hill 3 to "this is the best game ever made," like you said moments before?!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

you were warned posted:

...So does that bring Silent Hill 3 to "this is the best game ever made," like you said moments before?!

It shows how much attention to detail the designers of the game had. They knew that there would be people, somewhere, who would ask, "Where is WOLF?!?!?". These games give you as much information as you're willing to find, silent hill 2 in particular.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Re: the part of the video where you find Heather's old babby sketchbook, it didn't say Drawing Block or Drawing Book in SH1, it says some crazy bullshit like Coowigor Dinok or something.

edit:

:iiam:

There is, however, a really cool Silent Hill 3 artbook/program guide that came with the Japanese limited edition that is modeled after the drawing block proper:

Tracking down a copy of it is really goddamn hard. There is also a companion Silent Hill 3 novelization (unfortunately Japanese only) that contains illustrations by series veteran Masahiro Ito.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 10, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
That concept art is to die for.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I haven't found a complete scan of it anywhere (I'm sure there is one but I probably didn't look hard enough) but the silent hill wiki has incorporated pretty much every element of it into their pages: If you go to the Heather page, the concept art from the program guide will be in the gallery, etc. but obviously you shouldn't go there until after the game is over if you're curious because spoilers and such.

There is also this crazy awesome strategy guide for Silent Hill 1 that is supposed to be somehow written by Harry, from his perspective. I wish I had a copy of it but again, it's Japanese only and is therefore really hard to find.

Dianasaur Go!
Jun 10, 2004

too soon from the cave
too far from the stars
I wanna re-emphasize how much I need K&K to play SH4. I'm not sure if they'd think it was an improvement on SH3 or if it would make them quit LPs forever. Hell, I'd happily watch them play Origins and Homecoming, too, but I don't know if those were ever even up for consideration.

As far as I'm concerned, Shattered Memories isn't a Silent Hill game, so THHPPPPPPPBBBBTTT on that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kyle and Keith please play Silent Hill 4. I'm not saying you have to do it cause I'm just one random person on the internet, but I am the biggest nerdy-rear end fan of Silent Hill on this whole drat forum except for probably Voidburger and From Earth, and watching people stumble through the game and still be proud of it because that's the way they intend for you to do it is always fun.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
I find it hard to believe that ANY silent hill fan likes our SH LPs, let alone the third biggest on the forum. I very much want to do SH4.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Somethingdumb posted:

I find it hard to believe that ANY silent hill fan likes our SH LPs, let alone the third biggest on the forum. I very much want to do SH4.
I hate your LPs, but I enjoy watching you suffer. Please play SH4.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Man I would've been stuck there for ages - my assumption was that something was missed in the classroom so I would've spent ages casting Interactio on all the walls.

But no you just have to stare at one random spot of ground next to an X on the map for 30 seconds.

This game :psyduck:

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Forgall posted:

I hate your LPs, but I enjoy watching you suffer. Please play SH4.

I dont know what that means, it sounds like you like them to me.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Somethingdumb posted:

I very much want to do SH4.
Quoting for posterity.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

If you look into one of the orange hallway voids, Valtiel is smashing a nurse against the grate. He's also the source of the shuffling sound in some hallways--just crawling back and forth--but I don't remember if K & K noticed him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Bmxxzqvhc

KIT HAGS fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Somethingdumb posted:

I was a fan, never played any past 3, and I enjoyed your first 2 Silent Hill LP's at least. This one's good too, I just liked your other 2 more.

EDIT: Also whiskey is totally tasty, especially the kinds with honey. It's better if you add sour mix to the regular ones, otherwise it's a bit of an acquired taste..

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 12, 2014

• Locked thread