Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

oldpainless posted:

gently caress the Armor Spider! gently caress it!!!! gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKF!~!~!!!!

What are you having trouble with? AS is pretty easy once you get its pattern down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Flytrap posted:

What are you having trouble with? AS is pretty easy once you get its pattern down.

It hits me with that web which slows me down and then it just spams fireballs over and over. I make mistakes on dodging which is my fault but I can't even see anything half the time because the fireballs brighten up the whole screen so I just roll hoping its at the correct time and not into the path of another fireball or web.

I should probably just not play it for a day or two.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

oldpainless posted:

It hits me with that web which slows me down and then it just spams fireballs over and over. I make mistakes on dodging which is my fault but I can't even see anything half the time because the fireballs brighten up the whole screen so I just roll hoping its at the correct time and not into the path of another fireball or web.

Yeah, the web is a bitch. Really not much you can do but dodge better and have a good shield to block the fireballs if you get caught.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

oldpainless posted:

If you get hit with web, block the next fireball. You take less damage and it burns off the webs.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
So here's a thing:
http://youtu.be/w0YvHBxv-3Y
Demons Souls 2?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

AllisonByProxy posted:

So here's a thing:
Demons Souls 2?

Looks like a mix of that FROM game on the PS2 that you had modern weapons (tower of something or other) and a souls or king's field game.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

AllisonByProxy posted:

So here's a thing:
Demons Souls 2?
Because of Beast in the name some (I included) think it's referring to the Old One if it's a Demon's Souls sequel. Soul Arts gone, humans turn to the industrial age to do poo poo. If it's another successor I'd be intrigued. If it's Shadow Tower Abyss sequel that would be really surprising.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I've decided my best course of action is to assume FlameLurker will get so tired of killing me he finally lets me pass out of pity/apathy/boredom/grudging sense of respect.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

neetengie posted:

If it's Shadow Tower Abyss sequel

Don't even joke man, Demon's Souls but on PS4 and with both guns AND locational dismemberment from melee attacks would be the most :black101: game ever made.

I'm most excited about guns because of crossbows not being cool in From's previous efforts. Here they can at least use the JRPG standby of upgrading or getting different types of ammo instead of having to balance stats to it work from.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 30, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

oldpainless posted:

I've decided my best course of action is to assume FlameLurker will get so tired of killing me he finally lets me pass out of pity/apathy/boredom/grudging sense of respect.
Use Sticky White Stuff, Umbasa.

Neo Rasa posted:

Don't even joke man, Demon's Souls but on PS4 and with both guns AND locational dismemberment from melee attacks would be the most :black101: game ever made.

I'm most excited about guns because of crossbows not being cool in From's previous efforts. Here they can at least use the JRPG standby of upgrading or getting different types of ammo instead of having to balance stats to it work from.
I'm hoping mang, makes sense that Miyazaki was working on this and not DaS2 since he became a supervisor for that which allowed him to work more on a secret project. I think that was eurogamer news or something.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

oldpainless posted:

Use magic poo poo on him. Crescent Falchion or SWS as mentioned, and learn to abuse the poo poo out of the geometry. He gets stuck on poo poo really easily.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I started playing Demon's Souls on my brother's PS3 after finishing both Dark Souls on PC, and everything was great until Stonefang Tunnels :mad:

That Armored Spider pissed me off so much because I kept wondering if there's a trick to the fight, got tired and ended up just bashing him on the head with my claymore.

Speaking of which, it seems like either I'm approaching the game from the wrong angle (since some mechanics are different than DkS) or my weapon just sucks because in Stonefang it takes a lot of effort to kill stuff. That one message said use piercing attacks so I did but then both Armored Spider and Flamelurker came and it took forever to kill them. I think I used someting insane like 30 moon grass on Flamelurker, but I beat him on first try :smug:

Compared to DkS it seems like more bosses have their own gimmick or require certain weapon/attack type/etc. Still can't get used to it. In Dark Souls I took the Large Club, pumped it to +15 and everything died.

Not to mention the stone farming, still reconciling with having to actually farm grey stones if I ever want to see my Crushing Claymore go past +3.

Last thing, it seems like I've seen 0 spell so far, is it because I'm doing the areas in a clockwise direction starting from the Boletarian Palace?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

I started playing Demon's Souls on my brother's PS3 after finishing both Dark Souls on PC, and everything was great until Stonefang Tunnels :mad:

That Armored Spider pissed me off so much because I kept wondering if there's a trick to the fight, got tired and ended up just bashing him on the head with my claymore.

Speaking of which, it seems like either I'm approaching the game from the wrong angle (since some mechanics are different than DkS) or my weapon just sucks because in Stonefang it takes a lot of effort to kill stuff. That one message said use piercing attacks so I did but then both Armored Spider and Flamelurker came and it took forever to kill them. I think I used someting insane like 30 moon grass on Flamelurker, but I beat him on first try :smug:

Compared to DkS it seems like more bosses have their own gimmick or require certain weapon/attack type/etc. Still can't get used to it. In Dark Souls I took the Large Club, pumped it to +15 and everything died.

Not to mention the stone farming, still reconciling with having to actually farm grey stones if I ever want to see my Crushing Claymore go past +3.

Last thing, it seems like I've seen 0 spell so far, is it because I'm doing the areas in a clockwise direction starting from the Boletarian Palace?

Two basic spell merchants are chilling out on either side of the Nexus behind the stairs. You have to find and save the other three.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Damage type does matter in Demon's, but generally not for bosses too much. You want piercing for Stonefang because the miners are much weaker to piercing damage. Remember that any attack with a thrust animation does piercing damage. Similarly, you want strike damage for any skellies you see.

For Armored Spider magic is best, any phys works fine, fire is awful (obviously).

You can get spells as soon as you beat 1-1. Facing the giant statue, go to the right side on the bottom floor, there's a mage dude. He'll sell you spells and tell you some stuff. On the left bottom side there's a priest who'll sell you miracles and tell you stuff.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

Oh no, if you have a certain amount of Int or Faith, you can get spells from the Nexus. Then you can unlock the better trainers from the worlds.
For bosses, Sticky White Stuff always helps.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

neetengie posted:

Oh no, if you have a certain amount of Int or Faith, you can get spells from the Nexus. Then you can unlock the better trainers from the worlds.
For bosses, Sticky White Stuff always helps.

Yeah, that makes sense, I haven't touched intelligence or faith at all, seeing as some bosses are much easier with it I might have to dabble.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The only place in all of Demon's Souls where I'd say a specific damage type makes much difference is 4-1 with the skeletons. Stabbing them is a waste of time.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Am I understanding some of the tips here right? Can you jump ahead a bit as far as Archstones go?

i.e. you're all saying to do 4-1, can you do that before beating 2/3?

I only got to play for an hour or two last night and didn't try going beyond 1-1/1-2

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Magus42 posted:

Am I understanding some of the tips here right? Can you jump ahead a bit as far as Archstones go?

I only got to play for an hour or two last night and didn't try going beyond 1-1/1-2

Yep! In fact you should bounce around to find sweet loot.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Magus42 posted:

After you beat Phalanx, you can go right ahead and jump in 5-1 all the way to 5-3. Not recommended for that though, but jumping into 4-1 is fine.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Magus42 posted:

You can do the worlds in any order, but to do further levels in a world you need to complete the previous ones since they're all straight lines in terms of progression. So you could say, do the entirety of world 3 before even starting world 2, but you have to go 3-1, 3-2, 3-3.

You also cannot go beyond 1-2 until you've obtained an archdemon's soul (boss soul from the final boss of a world).

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Nice... so the only one you can't clear completely at the start is world 1? :)

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Magus42 posted:

Nice... so the only one you can't clear completely at the start is world 1? :)
Pretty much. Otherwise, go wild.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Man, the ladders are killing me. I pushed the first world to Pure Black Tendency and after getting my rear end kicked by Executioner Miralda, I just shoved her down the slope next to her v:shobon:v Then I climbed the ladder. I think I might've been climbing about 30-45 seconds. Is there no way to speed it up?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

lordfrikk posted:

Man, the ladders are killing me. I pushed the first world to Pure Black Tendency and after getting my rear end kicked by Executioner Miralda, I just shoved her down the slope next to her v:shobon:v Then I climbed the ladder. I think I might've been climbing about 30-45 seconds. Is there no way to speed it up?

There is no slide in Demon's Souls, unfortunately. That is however by far the longest ladder in the game though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

lordfrikk posted:

Just think of it like you're still...in a dream...maneaterrrrrrr

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Anybody want to help me with the 2-1 boss? I've played this before but I didn't have online then. I want to get in on some sweet co-op action.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

James Woods Fan posted:

Anybody want to help me with the 2-1 boss? I've played this before but I didn't have online then. I want to get in on some sweet co-op action.

Gotta post your level.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Genocyber posted:

Gotta post your level.

I ended up beating it by myself. I am SL 16 now.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Any suggestions for a good light shield? Using mostly sorceries but I keep an estoc to save spell charges, and need a proper shield.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Heater shield is light and doesnt need too much str. Other than that the buckler sorta works too.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I think I need to rethink my stance on heavy armor. On a whim I decided to play a Temple Knight while keeping the armor, and between the damage reduction the blessed equipment effect the regeneration miracle and my massive healthbar, I'm more or less immortal.

Only time I've gone fast roll is against the Flamelurker. Been against everything else.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 1, 2014

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

Flytrap posted:

I think I need to rethink my stance on heavy armor. On a whim I decided to play a Temple Knight while keeping the armor, and between the damage reduction the blessed equipment effect the regeneration miracle and my massive healthbar, I'm more or less immortal.

Only time I've gone fast roll is against the Flamelurker. Been against everything else.

I've been saying this FOREVER but no one would listen!!! Heavy armor works, and it works pretty well.

EDIT: You know that said, no one should ever wear the Brushwood set.

TheWanderingNewbie fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 5, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Old King set or bust.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I've wanted to get into DS after beating DS1 and DS2 but this tendency poo poo is really keeping me from getting started. Is there some idiot proof guide to getting all the items using character/world tendency in some semblance of order as efficiently as possible?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The general suggestion is to not give a poo poo about tendency your first run through. But barring that, if you really want to care, you should always go Pure White first, then go Pure Black. Pure White is limited per playthrough, whereas you can always get Pure Black.

The easiest thing to do to ensure you have Pure White World Tendency is to never go into a world in human form. So whenever you turn human, especially after taking down a boss, go back to the Nexus and kill yourself with fall damage. Besides that, just kill bosses and don't kill NPCs. Each Boss kill while net you +1 White World Tendency, so you should reach Pure White without too much trouble. After that, when you want to go Pure Black, you can go human and kill yourself in the worlds a bunch of times.

CGH
Mar 31, 2010
Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but in the two and a half runs I've done so far while online the world always went pure white after killing a boss. So I just did/do all the white tendency stuff after finishing the second section of each world, except I think for one case where you have to do it after the final section.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Take this link if you want to know more about world tendency. You don't actually need to know anything about it to beat the game or get all the trophies, should that matter to you.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Thanks, I got it all mapped out. Another question, a trophy guide says "After killing Penetrator, you should proceed directly to 1-4 to kill the Blue Dragon instead of returning to the Nexus, as if you return to 1-4 with Pure White World Tendency, the dragon will have disappeared." while the wikidot says it's simply dependent on whether you've killed the 1-4 boss. Which is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The dragons in 1-1 disappear if you have pure world tendency but I thought the red dragon in 1-2 and the blue dragon in 1-4 stayed until they died. You may as well play it safe either way. Just make sure you have a good bow and a lot of arrows/magic. It's possible to poison the red one, not sure if it'll reach the blue.

• Locked thread