Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DornerHorse posted:

Willing to throw out 20-50 bones to try something out. Don't want to spend hundreds and end up sucking.

I'll look a bit into your recommendations. Thanks!

All of them have 30 day demo's available (alchemy has a free player) but padshop will be $50 minimum with the pro version of $80, absynth is $200, and alchemy is $250. I've seen 1/2 off sales for everything but padshop so if you're patient you can get it that way and just use the demo's/free version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Bill Posters posted:

Try this. It has a demo and I've found it works well enough. At $100 for the full version it's easily worth it.

That and the Fishman Triple Play deal Jew mentioned seem like the least risky options for me. Those Moog guitars are rad as gently caress but I'm probably not in this for more than $1500 (for guitar + pickup + midi and whatnot).

The thought "guess I'll have to stop by Guitar Center" just went through my mind and I literally shuddered. drat I wish that place didn't creep me out so much.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Just got word from my synth tech: my Waldorf Microwave is fixed! :neckbeard:

So what was the problem? A bad cap in the filter control section. :downs: He had some trouble with the circuit layout since the schematics I provided were for the rev. B version but managed to figure it out in almost 3 hours.

I'm going to pick it up Monday since I'm out of town until tomorrow. Expect a sound demo.

So excited. :fap:

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Roland JD-990 with Vintage Synth expansion card – $549

I'd do that one, but I bet you're up on the northern end of the planet. (Sorry no PM).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
MIDIed* guitar plus Oberheim Matrix 12. Just sayin'.

* Ye olde mid-90s Roland GR-whatever worked really well for this once one got quickly accustomed to the minor response delay on the lowest strings (physics: can't determine frequency until .3-.5 of the wave cycle has passed). But of course such timing issues are irrelevant when used to trigger huge analogue chord swells.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 30, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

VoodooXT posted:

Just got word from my synth tech: my Waldorf Microwave is fixed! :neckbeard:

So what was the problem? A bad cap in the filter control section. :downs: He had some trouble with the circuit layout since the schematics I provided were for the rev. B version but managed to figure it out in almost 3 hours.

I'm going to pick it up Monday since I'm out of town until tomorrow. Expect a sound demo.

So excited. :fap:

A Sizone approved post. Have fun with your magic German noise machine. Modulate EVERYTHING.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Bill Posters posted:

Try this. It has a demo and I've found it works well enough. At $100 for the full version it's easily worth it.

Alright that is... woah. It doesn't handle sliding from one note to another particularly well, but it's incredibly impressive anyway.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Radiapathy posted:

TOTALLY UNRELATED EDIT: Anyone here doing MIDI guitar? I want to be able to use a real guitar to do 6-string poly MIDI input into a computer. There are nine zillion options ranging from a hundred bucks to like $4300, and I just do not know where to start. (I also need a guitar, and will likely bug Guitar Thread about that.)

I've had a few, a Roland GR-50/gk-2 and Yamaha G10/G10C and they were pretty much poo poo. Guitar isn't really suited for MIDI input in my opinion, or atleast if you play it like a guitar (creates a lot of junk data from slight bends/string noise, depending on the setup you can filter some of it out. Also notes retriggering and pitch warble if you have poor intonation). Ended up doing so much clean up that it took longer to do anything vs. keyboard or mouse.

I recently got this http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/ for ipad and it's actually much better than the hardware that I used to have. Try the demo and see how it feels.

Edit. I've heard that the Fishman Triple Play tracks like poo poo when not used with their own software, might want to look in to it before buying.

W424 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 30, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

0dB posted:

I'd do that one, but I bet you're up on the northern end of the planet. (Sorry no PM).

I'm in North America, indeed. Send me over an email: portervance @AT@ gmail

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is bass any friendlier to midi-fy? I've got a cricket bat model that has a 1/4 out but also an XLR that's not wired up doing nothing. Was considering maybe getting a midi pickup added and run the socket through that. If it's an arse to play though, I'll just run the 1/4 at instrument level through my interface and stick a ton of effects on instead.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I did some more synth stuff today. Synths at work ar Shruthi for bass and lead, and AN1x for the strings.

https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/darkside-rough1

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
New thread title courtesy of Startyde and hopefully now we get less people sheepishly coming in and asking if it's okay to ask about VSTs in here. I'll try and update the OP to reflect that we're also about general synthesis as it can be applied to VSTs.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Tonight I was able to reproduce the old Law and Order theme pretty accurately between the DX7 and the Proteus 2000. It was easy to fit all 4 instruments onto one keyboard thanks to the Grey Matter E! expansion allowing 8 zone splits.

It got me wondering about other controller keyboards in case I wanted to trade away the DX7. Are features like Floating Split and 8-way split/layer common?

I know the P2k can do such splits and layers internally, but that doesn't help if I want to target other devices.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I've discovered the Nord Leads can do a split keyboard like you've described. I only know this because there are 2 Nord Leads 2x for sale in my area and I'm really really really considering a trade for one of them. I love the quality of the sound from these and I think they'd make a perfect controller keyboard. I've got the Micro Modular now and it shares the same sound engine as the Lead 2x, b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l stuff.

The Nord Wave is another tasty offering from the Swedes but these are a lot more expensive and rare. Anyone own/used either?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

sliderule posted:

It got me wondering about other controller keyboards in case I wanted to trade away the DX7. Are features like Floating Split and 8-way split/layer common?

Not anymore they're not. Typically you'll 2-4 get zones, maybe layerable. Most controllers these days can't be split at all though, so double check specs when you're shopping. Floating, I doubt it, maybe the Midiboard did that, I can't think of anything else. They just assume you're going to plug in via usb and play a VST at a time now.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Probably the wrong thread to ask, but if anyone has a Novation Launchpad they're not using and would let go for a cheap yet reasonable used price, I'd be interested.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

Quick and dirty test of the Waldorf Microwave using the PPG Wave 2.3 soundset. Definitely not the best representation of me or the synth. :v:

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 3, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

VoodooXT posted:

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

Quick and dirty test of the Waldorf Microwave using the PPG Wave 2.3 soundset. Quick and dirty, definitely not the best representation of me or the synth. :v:
You lose points for not calling this the "Microwave's Mom demo" but gain points back for this sounding like the music from a sci fi movie from a few decades ago.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

this sounding like the music from a sci fi movie from a few decades ago.

Ha thanks, that's what I was going for.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You lose points for not calling this the "Microwave's Mom demo" but gain points back for this sounding like the music from a sci fi movie from a few decades ago.

I guess Microwave's Mom would be the Wave. And, much like Microwave's Mom, I'd totally hit that.
Wanna meet that synth.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Sizone posted:

I guess Microwave's Mom would be the Wave. And, much like Microwave's Mom, I'd totally hit that.
Wanna meet that synth.

PPG Wave is the MILF of the synth world.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Startyde posted:

Not anymore they're not. Typically you'll 2-4 get zones, maybe layerable. Most controllers these days can't be split at all though, so double check specs when you're shopping. Floating, I doubt it, maybe the Midiboard did that, I can't think of anything else. They just assume you're going to plug in via usb and play a VST at a time now.

I half-expected that. I was pretty impressed at the simplicity of the floating split concept, and was hoping to find something with a more streamlined/dedicated configuration interface. For all the features that Grey Matter E! brings to the table, it's hampered by shoehorning them onto the DX7's editing interface.

I've been avoiding the sequencer because my initial experience with it was excruciating, but it looks like I'll be biting the bullet and trying a composition there. It's just such a nasty feeling dealing with the disjointed / illogical nature of the process that I would almost rather shell out for a tablet for sequencing.

I have a Boss SP-505, but I can't seem to use it as a sequencer for external stuff--the sequencer MUST trigger an internal voice to be recorded/played back. I guess I could sample a few banks worth of silence, but even then I have the problem of it being limited to a single octave seemingly. (A separate complaint: when triggering voices from MIDI, the master device needs to send a program change to select a bank. This makes the Alesis Percpad only able to trigger from Bank 1, which is write protected :()

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

RM1x, MC80 are both cheap as hell these days if you want to jump on a dedicated sequencer. You've already entered the dark lord's realm, just go nuts. :retrogames:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hehe, I'll keep my eye out for those two models, thanks. I really want to see if I can make a workflow that doesn't involve a DAW-like. Got the SP505 for cheap, and I've seen a couple of them go quickly on craigslist for 50% more (presumably) than I paid so I should be able to pick one of those up without too much sting.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Hail Satan!

So here's an interesting site I thought the rest of you would enjoy.

http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/

They take old drum machines, samplers, and synths and circuit bend the gently caress out of them... for an almost reasonable fee if you don't account for shipping.

java
May 7, 2005

I managed to pick-up a MXR carbon copy locally and added it to the microbrute and... such exquisite beauty. It really does sound amazing with that extra little bit of echo. Also, more knobs!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I've always loved the Carbon Copy, such a great sounding pedal.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

A Winner is Jew posted:

Hail Satan!

So here's an interesting site I thought the rest of you would enjoy.

http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/

They take old drum machines, samplers, and synths and circuit bend the gently caress out of them... for an almost reasonable fee if you don't account for shipping.

I'm a little bit tempted to send in my VSS30

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
So my Virus TI2 desktop finally came in and I'm having a blast with it so far. I never bought it with the expectation that it would sound much better than the software I was using engine-wise. However, after playing around with it I think the low end sounds much richer and nicer than my VSTs (especially thanks the nice sub oscillator), and the filters sound awesome. The primary reason I got it though was to have a big, versatile, single unit full of quality effects to learn inside out instead of using a billion plugins, and it meets my expectations handily. It feels fantastic to be able to make pretty much any sound I want and save it in a self-contained patch, to be dropped in and tweaked wherever. Menu diving can be excessive, but then I just switch to using the VST for that stuff. Also tweaking physical knobs is so much more fun goddang.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

New England dudes, the Analog Heaven Northeast Meet is this Saturday! Fair amount of ridiculous synths will be there, including a Music Easel shootout (original, BEMI, 208R), OBX and CrOwBX, Solaris, P12 and more. If you're in the Marlboro area and want to hitch a ride, let me know.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Startyde posted:

Music Easel shootout (original, BEMI, 208R)

:awesome:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'll try to get video :v:
There was a Minimoog old/new/Voyager shootout a couple years ago, really made me want a voyager old school. Thankfully I've got all the uncertainty and empty wallets I need already so no buchla for me thanks.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The Voyager Old School is probably not worth the effort compared to a regular Voyager. It is however more sexy, with its distinct lack of display.

I love the quality of the sound from these and I think they'd make a perfect controller keyboard.

The keyboard feel is really not great though, barely a cut above the Alesis Ion - but I've got high standards :shobon:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Things afoot:

A fresh batch of I think about 30 PreenFM 2 Rev3 boards/kits are actually available for the first time this year and the software side of it has reached something of a v1.00, though with further planned of course:

http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/

Relative to the Drum Machine chat from awhile back, Aly James performed a pivot away from FM DRIVE's glorious FM Synth obsession, while corresponding with the original man himself it would seem, to wrangle a comprehensive LINN LM-1 Drum Machine software/VST-thing:

http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabvlinn.html

Mass of short demo tracks using it onsite, sounds kind of interesting/nifty to me---though I know slim to nothing about drum machines on the whole save a bit from when you folks get into it from time to time.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Oh man the Preen FM kit with the metal case is very very tempting. If anyone wants one built get in touch with me, I might order a few.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Oh man the Preen FM kit with the metal case is very very tempting. If anyone wants one built get in touch with me, I might order a few.

Oh god don't tempt me. I can't afford another synth (or rather, I shouldn't buy one since I'm going back to school). :ohdear:

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
The PreenFM2 seems pretty nifty, but I haven't been too fond of what I've heard out of it. Can anyone point me to a great PreenFM2 demo?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

VoodooXT posted:

Oh god don't tempt me. I can't afford another synth (or rather, I shouldn't buy one since I'm going back to school). :ohdear:

What the gently caress do you think student loans are for?

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
since this thread is about synthesis in general, how about vocaloid? it's pretty cool. it doesn't do the creepy ratboy genius style voices but you can do some crazy stuff with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Number Two Stunna posted:

since this thread is about synthesis in general, how about vocaloid? it's pretty cool. it doesn't do the creepy ratboy genius style voices but you can do some crazy stuff with it
I'm glad you brought this up because I've thought about asking about it, but for whatever reason haven't. Maybe because my understanding's still a bit fuzzy. Vocaloid does the whole "singing voice synthesis" thing, but do you need to buy the male and/or female singer libraries if you want to make your own vocaloid, or is that straight up not possible?

Never mind, I just went to re-read the Wikipedia page, and it seems like you need at least a singer library (male or female) in a minimum of whatever language(s) you want singing done in, along with the score editor and synthesis engine. I don't know what I found so confusing some months back; maybe the Wikipedia page became clearer, or maybe I'm just reading closer now. It does seem like you'd have to buy (looking at http://www.vocaloid.com/en/lineup/vocaloid3/) at least the "VOCALOID 3 Editor" package and one of the "VOCALOID 3 Library" packages to do anything with it. Still tempts me...