Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Davinci posted:

What I'm taking from this thread is that I should get off my rear end and play Killer 7.

Yeah, you should. Or watch the LP of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tj7aBVC1Vw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Killer7 is one of those games where decent people won't give you crap for watching an LP of it over playing it yourself. It's a really interesting game, but the gameplay really isn't for everyone, which is par for the course for Suda.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's worth playing yourself simply so you can experience Rave On for yourself.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
So in a world of cyborgs and moon vacations I can only imagine how disgusting that 1950 wine would be. No wonder he exploded in blood.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
After watching like, half of the first video, I decided to just go ahead and get this game on Steam (it's only like $30, what are you a peasant?). There's something really compelling about this game that I can't put my finger on either. Once you get all your basic abilities unlocked the gameplay is fast, visceral and very cool-looking, and just the crazy surreal weirdness of everything that's going on is entertaining even though I have no clue what the hell is happening half the time.

I'm confused and I'm having fun but I'm not sure why.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm confused and I'm having fun but I'm not sure why.

Welcome to pretty much any given game with Suda51's name on it, with maybe the exception of Lollipop Chainsaw which was fairly straightforward.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

And Shadows of the Damned, which was really Evil Dead with added dick jokes.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ztarlit_Sky posted:

So then you get a game that carries the name of Killer 7. It sounds like a promise that Suda51 would finally put something out worthy of what made him famous. Judging by the thread, you know how it went down. I haven't played it, but I think the response speaks for itself. It's a shame since I'm really looking forward to what kind of game would happen if he were willing and permitted to try and surpass Killer 7, with little executive influence. But after GungHo's acquisition of Grasshopper Studios, I wouldn't bet on that.

That's basically Suda51's style really. If you want to actually understand Killer 7, you pretty much need to read the Handout Killer 7, or get the info from someone who does. There's a lot more to it than you could reasonably extract from the game.

Hand in Killer 7 explains some of the symbolism but it also is from an older build of Killer 7 so it's not entirely accurate.

Also Suda used the phrase "Complete creative freedom" with Lily Bergamo, a phrase he used for Killer7. I doubt it'll be as good, but who knows.

For what it's worth, NMH, Lolipop Chainsaw, Sine Mora and Liberation Maiden were decent, or at least not as mediocre as DMD and KiD.

kalonZombie posted:

and the gameplay is just there because it's a video game, not an anime.

Killer7's gameplay is what Bioshock would've wanted to be but didn't have the balls to do. :colbert:

[quote="ManlyGrunting" post="430509893"]
Yeah, Suda games always treat women characters as satellites to the male main characters: the (usually flawed) relationships give insight and flavour to the man, but the woman exists solely in relationship to the man.
[quote]

It's a little sad but Juliet from LC is one of the stronger female characters in games. She's got agency and stays in control of things, which is more then 99% of games can say about their female cast.

Not that he had much to do with LC.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 5, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sine Mora isn't really a Grasshopper game at all - they did the art/music but the game design was all done by another company, so it's terrible on its own merits.

I'd say DMD is the only one of his games that's genuinely fun to play, but it's still just budget RE4. Killer 7 gets a pass for being uniquely bad, but the others aren't even especially ambitious, they're just shallow, simple action games.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Anatharon posted:

Hand in Killer 7 explains some of the symbolism but it also is from an older build of Killer 7 so it's not entirely accurate.

Also Suda used the phrase "Complete creative freedom" with Lily Bergamo, a phrase he used for Killer7. I doubt it'll be as good, but who knows.

For what it's worth, NMH, Lolipop Chainsaw, Sine Mora and Liberation Maiden were decent, or at least not as mediocre as DMD and KiD.

Killer7's gameplay is what Bioshock would've wanted to be but didn't have the balls to do. :colbert:

[quote="ManlyGrunting" post="430509893"]
Yeah, Suda games always treat women characters as satellites to the male main characters: the (usually flawed) relationships give insight and flavour to the man, but the woman exists solely in relationship to the man.
[quote]

It's a little sad but Juliet from LC is one of the stronger female characters in games. She's got agency and stays in control of things, which is more then 99% of games can say about their female cast.

Not that he had much to do with LC.

I got a lot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer vibes from Lollipop Chainsaw and I'll say its one of Grasshopper's better games too.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You know, I kinda liked the game. It has a lot of flaws but like Geop and others have said there's just something weird about it that makes it compelling.
A lot of people say "oh the plot is absurd and makes no sense", but personally, taking a deep look after finishing it, it felt pretty cohesive within its own setting.
Also I know you're not showing Gigolo Mode (and I'm glad for that), but I'd like to see the failure state for those. Mostly for Mondo getting what he deserves (like a pot of boiling tea over the head).

Genocyber posted:

I don't get why people poo poo on the gameplay for these games. Killer7 was overall pretty fun and unique, tho it could have been more polished, NMH was excellent, NMH2 even moreso, and I've not played Lollipop Chainsaw or Shadows of the Damned but their gameplay looks pretty fun if a bit mindless. Compared to most other games which have dull gameplay and dull aesthetics and poo poo.

I also really enjoyed the same games and found the gameplay fun despite some downsides. It's just that, compared to something like DMC or the GoW type series, or basically any Platinum game, they're pretty simple, so people come in with high expectations and are met with more simplistic games, sometimes janky.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I came into this not really expecting anything in particular, so I'm pretty happy with what it delivers (if only I can stop assuming the dodge works like in Dark Souls because it clearly doesn't). I think mostly I just like how cool the combat feels, even if it's not actually particularly sophisticated.

Also in case the moon apparently being important hasn't struck anyone yet, Mondo's beloved katana is named Gekkou, which means "moonlight". So there's that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Also in case the moon apparently being important hasn't struck anyone yet, Mondo's beloved katana is named Gekkou, which means "moonlight". So there's that.
Do get mooning attacks and upgrade mooning abilities? :dance:

>moon unicorn_

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Do get mooning attacks and upgrade mooning abilities? :dance:

>moon unicorn_

Moonicorn?

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014
I'm going to throw my hat in as a person who really enjoys this game. I think the gameplay for this is a lot better than people give it credit for (considering it's given next to no credit) with the witch time-esque perfect dodge being really satisfying to do, your hit chain getting longer and more stylish as you increase your combo along with various other bits and bobs that make it generally stylish and satisfying. The atmosphere of the game gives a general vibe that I can only describe as 'off' that is just this combination of weird things that give me a very hard time quantifying why I quite like it, and is an excellent set up for the increasingly ridiculous things we're going to be hired to kill for increasingly ridiculous reasons.

Sure this hangs in the great shadowy enigma of Killer 7, and it could never measure up to it as such, but it is a product of it's own oddity that stands well on it's own two feet.

The fact it is part dating sim was pretty funny to me because I got the game without ever knowing that it was there, but yeah it's pretty gross.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
The shifting subtitles in this game are putting me into a trace the way the letters move up and down. It's really subtle, but my eyes can't stop paying attention to them doing that, oddly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Demonbait posted:

I'm going to throw my hat in as a person who really enjoys this game. I think the gameplay for this is a lot better than people give it credit for (considering it's given next to no credit) with the witch time-esque perfect dodge being really satisfying to do, your hit chain getting longer and more stylish as you increase your combo along with various other bits and bobs that make it generally stylish and satisfying. The atmosphere of the game gives a general vibe that I can only describe as 'off' that is just this combination of weird things that give me a very hard time quantifying why I quite like it, and is an excellent set up for the increasingly ridiculous things we're going to be hired to kill for increasingly ridiculous reasons.

Sure this hangs in the great shadowy enigma of Killer 7, and it could never measure up to it as such, but it is a product of it's own oddity that stands well on it's own two feet.

The fact it is part dating sim was pretty funny to me because I got the game without ever knowing that it was there, but yeah it's pretty gross.

The dodging system might be interesting if it hadn't literally been in the last three games with Suda 51 Presents on it before this. It's hard to give it credit for something that is extremely expected by this point.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

DialTheDude posted:

The shifting subtitles in this game are putting me into a trace the way the letters move up and down. It's really subtle, but my eyes can't stop paying attention to them doing that, oddly.

Is that happening all the time? I thought it was only with Alice and such to emphasize the whole monster thing.
Also, Geop you mentioned one of the voices at the start being "that dude who's in everything", so I'm gonna guess venture a guess on either Liam O'Brien or Yuri Lowenthal?

HGH fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 5, 2014

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The dodging system might be interesting if it hadn't literally been in the last three games with Suda 51 Presents on it before this. It's hard to give it credit for something that is extremely expected by this point.

In my defense I never played shadows of the damned, lolipop chainsaw, and never realized the dark step existed in no more heroes one or two until I had beat them and watched the chip and ironicus let's plays.

enoent_sigsegv
Apr 23, 2006

Geop posted:

Yamaoka did the music, sure, but nothing stands out track-wise.

wat :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YztdNhLPYig

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Don't get me wrong, i really enjoy the very subdued/clean snare in this track which you don't hear often in game soundtracks, but that track is not exactly the definition of "standing out".

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This just reminds me that my favourite boss in the game's music is nowhere to be found in the OST or online. Also, there are some dynamic parts of the tracks that you also can't really find either.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

HenryEx posted:

Don't get me wrong, i really enjoy the very subdued/clean snare in this track which you don't hear often in game soundtracks, but that track is not exactly the definition of "standing out".

Yamaoka's best work is like that, though, so it's kinda odd to expect his music to be in-your-face. Like the Sine Mora ost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYm9GOjZymI

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a clearer source for all the text that flashes at the beginning of an episode?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
And here I thought Audrey Hepburn would have asked for the assassination of Henry Higgins.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Four missions in and already a 4th wall break. I was about to say that Suda would have built up a joke like that and saved it for the end of the game, but then I remembered the one right at the beginning of NMH2. Just how little was he involved with this?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Suda51 Logic: A stick of Gum is more expensive than roses.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Based on my experience fighting David, you can dodge counter his teleport attack, during his second phase, if you wait until you see the explosion from his charge up(for timing purposes). Also, you can dodge counter the explosion if you're close enough. I think Geop did it in the video moments before he died.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

David's just one of those fights, it's hard to not make it look like a clusterfuck. Towards the end of his second form, dodging attacks is more about luck than skill.

Fun fact number two: during a solar eclipse, when the moon passes in front of the sun, it produces an effect known as a 'diamond ring':

What was it Moon River tried to pay Bryan with again?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Enjoyed that episode until the 4th wall break. That was really lame and poorly timed.

Still, was fun and the combat looks to be coming together.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I remember that way back in Killer7, there was occasional moon iconography, and in early previews, the image of the moon sometime became the image of a beast's eye with the words "Lives on a star." Hmm...

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013
I remember buying this game on a lark simply because the back of the box promised me I could kill things with a transforming robot arm. I can safely say that I was not disappointed by what this game delivers in terms of gameplay and story. I was decently prepared for the oddness of the story thanks to playing Killer7 multiple times, but there were some things that threw me for a loop in the later missions. I've always loved the art design of Grasshopper games and was really pleased that KID continued the trend. I even enjoyed the gigolo missions as an amusing distraction and am probably in the minority on that front. If I remember right, the game starts to come together better and takes off more in the next mission.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

PotatoManJack posted:

Enjoyed that episode until the 4th wall break. That was really lame and poorly timed.

I have to echo this. That caliber of fourth wall breaking is something you'd see spawned from a high school level creative writing class. It wasn't even groan-worthy pun level. It was just bad and embarrassing.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

He got to the moon exactly in the same way as Sam & Max.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And in the Telltale series they later go back to the moon and don't even need the paper bags!" I guess those pantywaist astronauts just didn't have the stones to try it!"

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Geop posted:

How did he get to the moon?

The usual way, of course.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Audrey Hepburn hires Yakuza Mega Man to murder the King of the Moon over a squatter's rights dispute? Okay, Pseudo Suda, you have my attention.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I'm partial to the "he was fired out of a big fuckoff canon aimed straight at the moon" theory.

gschmidl posted:

He got to the moon exactly in the same way as Sam & Max.

Though "stuffing a DeSoto tailpipe full of matches and lighting them" comes in at a close second. Mostly for the DeSoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
I'll admit that I never had too much of a problem with David, mostly because I loaded up on Mika Tickets and brute forced him. Sure, it means less money, but you can easily farm money on Episode 1.

• Locked thread