Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, when it's something like Gone Fishin' I think it's worth mocking, but generally one needs to be very careful about trying to mock a comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Drunkboxer posted:

I imagine it's Mortal Combat. It came out in August, it's stupid, 10 year rule, white guy karate etc.

Yeah, I also think that those kinds of movies are a bit...too easy for them to do. I tend to prefer it when they review bad, weird "erotic thrillers", or romcoms or lifetime, rather than silly movies about martial arts or whatever else - because those tend to be bad (and so-bad-it's-good) in exactly the same way.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Beeez posted:

Yeah, when it's something like Gone Fishin' I think it's worth mocking, but generally one needs to be very careful about trying to mock a comedy.
Gone Fishin' is a great WHM -- I'm pretty sure I can no longer pronounce the number 11 properly.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The best part of WHM's Mystery Men podcast was immediately establishing the running joke of Tim Burton being the director and sticking to it.

Overall I like Mystery Men and while I agree that Harry Shearer and Paul Reubens were painful, I loved Greg Kinnear and William H. Macy for their deadpan attitudes. Especially when Kinnear made no attempt to find out what happened to his super-enemies, and Macy being the only team member with his personal life close to being in order.

Also did anyone else think it was odd that WHM gave Janeane Garofalo a total pass? Ben Stiller seemed to care more about his role than she did, and she had no decent jokes. Stiller at least was funny when he was futilely trying to convince the team about Captain Amazing's secret identity.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

bobkatt013 posted:

So will next weeks be Mortal Kombat or a Highlander sequel?

My money's on Fortress. I guess September is maybe a bit late to be summer, but I have some fond-ish memories of seeing it at a drive-in when it came out.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Looking up Christopher Lambert's filmography I really, really hope it's Southland Tales, but I guess that isn't really a summer blockbuster

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mojo Threepwood posted:

The best part of WHM's Mystery Men podcast was immediately establishing the running joke of Tim Burton being the director and sticking to it.

Overall I like Mystery Men and while I agree that Harry Shearer and Paul Reubens were painful, I loved Greg Kinnear and William H. Macy for their deadpan attitudes. Especially when Kinnear made no attempt to find out what happened to his super-enemies, and Macy being the only team member with his personal life close to being in order.

Also did anyone else think it was odd that WHM gave Janeane Garofalo a total pass? Ben Stiller seemed to care more about his role than she did, and she had no decent jokes. Stiller at least was funny when he was futilely trying to convince the team about Captain Amazing's secret identity.

I think that yes, while both actors have done the same schtick a lot, she gets a pass because it's way less grating than I'M BEN STILLER AND I'M GETTING SO ANGRY. And it kind of works in that movie, but she otherwise drags anything she's in down with her 'I'm so over this' act.

That Tim Burton thing is suprisingly quite common. Since the release of the movie there was rumours about it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Spielberg/Poltergeist thing and he was basically the one calling the shots.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm quite surprised to hear so many people actually liked Mystery Men - I never saw it when it came out, I always just assumed it was crap based on... Well, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmHBFgIoX0

Talk about a dogshit trailer. It actually has Smashmouth's All Star. And god drat Disco Inferno.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm quite surprised to hear so many people actually liked Mystery Men - I never saw it when it came out, I always just assumed it was crap based on... Well, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmHBFgIoX0

Talk about a dogshit trailer. It actually has Smashmouth's All Star. And god drat Disco Inferno.

To be fair, the film has All Star too.

For me, Mystery Men has a lot of fun charm to it, but doesn't ultimately hold together - it's the ultimate uneven movie. I also think the Tim Burton rumors are ironic, since the film's look seems to be overtly referencing Schumacher's Batman movies (which would have been the most contemporary Batman movies to mock/homage at that point).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hewlett posted:

For me, Mystery Men has a lot of fun charm to it, but doesn't ultimately hold together - it's the ultimate uneven movie. I also think the Tim Burton rumors are ironic, since the film's look seems to be overtly referencing Schumacher's Batman movies (which would have been the most contemporary Batman movies to mock/homage at that point).

Ouch, actually having All Star in the movie is NOT a point for it. Every time I hear that song it feels like the producers scored the movie, not the director.

Why would you even BOTHER to parody the Schumacher movies? They're already self-parodies. Are there any other superhero parody movies that did this? Most of the ones I know of focused on people with no powers trying to be superheroes in a very grounded world, like Super.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ouch, actually having All Star in the movie is NOT a point for it.

Why would you even BOTHER to parody the Schumacher movies? They're already self-parodies. Are there any other superhero parody movies that did this? Most of the ones I know of focused on people with no powers trying to be superheroes in a very grounded world, like Super.

Its not a movie but Tick did it really well. They also brought up how it came out the same year as Galaxy Quest and that was how you do a parody correctly.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, that's kind of why I didn't listen too much into this week's episode; they were treating a deliberately goofy movie as if it was trying to be a deconstruction of the genre or something.

I actually had a similar problem with the HDTGM episode of Mortal Kombat, now that I think of it. I felt like Jason and Paul were deliberately not "getting" how a martial arts movie works.
Yeah but remember they have featured deliberately goofy movies that were good before because of how ripe they were for a good ribbing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Its not a movie but Tick did it really well. They also brought up how it came out the same year as Galaxy Quest and that was how you do a parody correctly.

Ohh. Good point. I guess the Tick kind of does fit into that... Although I always saw it as a little more a parody of B-movies and such than Schumacher Batman (in its set design and aesthetic, I mean). As for Galaxy Quest, my girlfriend loves that movie, so I guess I should give it a watch.

ALSO! No one talked about the Alcohollywood episode on Super Mario Brothers! That was an awesome episode, it actually inspired me to subject my friends to the movie at a party I had last Friday. I LOVED that movie as a kid (I think I was a dumb kid), and I was amazed at how well I remembered it. That movie is burned into my brain, every scene or line I recall almost verbatim. And you know what? I kind of love it. It's a giant mess, but it is a fascinating mess.

We didn't do the drinking game though. Opportunity missed - sorry.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 4, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ohh. Good point. I guess the Tick kind of does fit into that... Although I always saw it as a little more a parody of B-movies and such than Schumacher Batman (in its set design and aesthetic, I mean). As for Galaxy Quest, my girlfriend loves that movie, so I guess I should give it a watch.

Some of the animated series episodes could not be released since Marvel might have a case to sue for copyright violations. The Tick just parodied the entire concept of superheroes and their universe and its amazing. Another comic book parody is the original Ninja Turtles. It was just making fun of Frank Miller's Daredevil. You should also get on Galaxy Quest as soon as possible.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Some of the animated series episodes could not be released since Marvel might have a case to sue for copyright violations. The Tick just parodied the entire concept of superheroes and their universe and its amazing. Another comic book parody is the original Ninja Turtles. It was just making fun of Frank Miller's Daredevil. You should also get on Galaxy Quest as soon as possible.

Yeah, I'm a huge Tick fan, read the comic and seen both the live action and animated show. I was specifically talking about the set design and such of the Tick live action show - I'm not sure it really was intended to be a direct parody of specifically the Schumacher Batman movies. And Galaxy Quest is obviously a take-off on Star Trek and other sci-fi movies. So are there ANY other movies that parody the Schumacher Batman movies outside of Mystery Men? I think it may have been the only movie to try that - got to admit, that takes balls, even if it didn't work very well.

"Superhero Movie" doesn't count, of course.

Edit: For a second I was relieved that Superhero Movie wasn't Leslie Neilson's last major film role, and then I realized that "Stan Helsing" (aka Scary Movie 5) has that distinction. Nooooooooooo

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 4, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I'm a huge Tick fan, read the comic and seen both the live action and animated show. I was specifically talking about the set design and such of the Tick live action show - I'm not sure it really was intended to be a direct parody of specifically the Schumacher Batman movies. And Galaxy Quest is obviously a take-off on Star Trek and other sci-fi movies. So are there ANY other movies that parody the Schumacher Batman movies outside of Mystery Men? I think it may have been the only movie to try that - got to admit, that takes balls, even if it didn't work very well.

"Superhero Movie" doesn't count, of course.

There was this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow2SVDpd8YA

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hewlett posted:

That's an absolutely fair assessment, even though I wind up on the side of the line that kind of likes the film.

Anyway, HDTGM is also doing Easy Rider: The Ride Back. I don't really care for it when the big three bad movie podcasts all hit the same film, though I'll also say that I don't think any of them should base their movie picks on what the others are doing/have done. It's especially annoying with HDTGM since they're now down to one episode a month for the foreseeable future.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Rotten Red Rod posted:

ALSO! No one talked about the Alcohollywood episode on Super Mario Brothers! That was an awesome episode, it actually inspired me to subject my friends to the movie at a party I had last Friday. I LOVED that movie as a kid (I think I was a dumb kid), and I was amazed at how well I remembered it. That movie is burned into my brain, every scene or line I recall almost verbatim. And you know what? I kind of love it. It's a giant mess, but it is a fascinating mess.

We didn't do the drinking game though. Opportunity missed - sorry.

That episode was fantastic! I'd rather never see the film ever, but oh boy, was it ever ripe for taking down and they did a wonderful job.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

That episode was fantastic! I'd rather never see the film ever, but oh boy, was it ever ripe for taking down and they did a wonderful job.

Thanks you guys! I feel bad, because our latest episode is decidedly NOT a 'bad movie,' but I'm actually really proud of how it turned out - we did the Peter Sellers movie Being There.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mailbag episode confirms Mortal Kombat. Boo.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Infamous Sphere posted:

You really should. It's the right kind of insane crazy fun-bad that's great to watch with friends. Never a dull moment as soon as they enter the dino world.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

weekly font posted:

Ugh, such a boring choice :(

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

weekly font posted:

Did they confirm 1 or is there a chance we could get 2?

Fake edit: while typing this I remembered Lambert isn't in the second.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I loved the Tim Burton riff, but otherwise that was a pretty bad episode of WHM (and not just because Eric wasn't in it). It was still infinitely better than a bad episode of HDTGM where it's just them talking over each other or mentioning scenes out of order, but I was disappointed. Yes, Mystery Men has problems, but I feel like it would have been better received if it came out at a time when superhero movies were a big deal, instead of when it did. I think it was Rabin's review that talks about how it's at its best when it feels like a small budget genre deconstruction, but unfortunately it also cost like, $75 million or whatever it was to make.

And oof, really, Mortal Kombat? At least the WHM guys are young enough to have actually played this game in the arcades, but Highlander 2 or... the rest of Lambert's filmography would be preferable to another podcast about a pretty good, deliberately over the top movie because the 90's was 20 years ago and now we can mock everyone's fashion sense.

Somebody tell them to review Greystroke or Knight Moves instead.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

laz0rbeak posted:

I loved the Tim Burton riff, but otherwise that was a pretty bad episode of WHM (and not just because Eric wasn't in it). It was still infinitely better than a bad episode of HDTGM where it's just them talking over each other or mentioning scenes out of order, but I was disappointed. Yes, Mystery Men has problems, but I feel like it would have been better received if it came out at a time when superhero movies were a big deal, instead of when it did. I think it was Rabin's review that talks about how it's at its best when it feels like a small budget genre deconstruction, but unfortunately it also cost like, $75 million or whatever it was to make.

And oof, really, Mortal Kombat? At least the WHM guys are young enough to have actually played this game in the arcades, but Highlander 2 or... the rest of Lambert's filmography would be preferable to another podcast about a pretty good, deliberately over the top movie because the 90's was 20 years ago and now we can mock everyone's fashion sense.

See that's funny, I actually thought their Mystery Men episode was one of the funniest episodes they've done in months. Then again, while I love all 4 of them, Eric is actually my least favorite.

Mystery Men was alright, but easy to make fun of. Which they did. Definitely better than their two memorial day episodes where there was barely anything to even talk about with those movies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

laz0rbeak posted:

Yes, Mystery Men has problems, but I feel like it would have been better received if it came out at a time when superhero movies were a big deal, instead of when it did.

Do you legitimately believe it would be HELPED for a movie where 'the spleen' has the super power of farting and some Indian dude throws spoons to be released in a time when super hero movies were MORE of a big deal? Like, you think this garbage would look better if it was easily compared to The Dark Knight?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

laz0rbeak posted:

During the Summer they always do big budget summer movies. Mortal Kombat is one and its not what you would call a good movie.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

bobkatt013 posted:

During the Summer they always do big budget summer movies. Mortal Kombat is one and its not what you would call a good movie.

Eh, I feel like if the movie needs to be straight-up bad then Annihilation is a far better choice than the original. I can't defend Mortal Kombat as a high quality film but it's not really a complete trainwreck the way some of their other choices are.

I suppose that was the same argument against doing Mystery Men, but that movie at least makes up for some of its quality by also being totally bizarre.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ror posted:

Eh, I feel like if the movie needs to be straight-up bad then Annihilation is a far better choice than the original. I can't defend Mortal Kombat as a high quality film but it's not really a complete trainwreck the way some of their other choices are.

I suppose that was the same argument against doing Mystery Men, but that movie at least makes up for some of its quality by also being totally bizarre.

I assume they will not be doing Annihilation since its such an easy target.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Someone really needs to send them the animated "The Journey Begins" MK movie that was made to promote the first live action movie.

It was a mix of bad standard animation and even worse CGI and would be perfect for their Animation Damnation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z-Zw1Pi5nc

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

bobkatt013 posted:

Mortal Kombat is the best video game movie adaptation of all time. But yeah as a movie standing on its own merits it's not very good.

thrawn527 posted:

See that's funny, I actually thought their Mystery Men episode was one of the funniest episodes they've done in months. Then again, while I love all 4 of them, Eric is actually my least favorite.

Eric is the goddamn best and I will cut you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Mortal Kombat is the best video game movie adaptation of all time. But yeah as a movie standing on its own merits it's not very good.

Eric is the goddamn best and I will cut you.

What do you call Mario?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, that my problem with it. There are alot better (worse) video game movies they could do. Double Dragon is especially bad. The just mentioned the Final Fantasy movie. Wing Commander was also really bad.But MK was defineately the biggest one of those, and is does have creepy Lambert laughing and punching Goro in the nuts.

But Double Dragon does have Robert Patrick looking like this:

So they should do that really soon.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

It's funny, all this video game talk coming out, since we just did a whole month of just those on AH - Mortal Kombat, Wing Commander, Silent Hill, the aforementioned Super Mario. We even threw Cloak & Dagger in there.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The Final Fantasy movie is just deadly boring. There's almost nothing to talk about.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you call Mario?

Beauty.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Final Fantasy movie is just deadly boring. There's almost nothing to talk about.

Au contraire.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really enjoyed the Retronauts episode about the Spirits Within. I had never seen the movie but they did a great job of explaining the production background, the story, and the reception it had. Definitely an episode worth checking out, it was Retronauts Live Episode 51.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The thing about Mortal Kombat (the movie) is that it's essentially 90% borrowed material from better martial arts films. Personally, I'd rather see Annihilation toyed with since it's so bad and not in the cheesy have fun bad way of the original.

It hasn't quite been ten years since the terrible Dead or Alive movie which deserves to get kicked around more than it already has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mortal Kombat is one of those movies that can't be called a Good movie, but is still enough to it that it is enjoyable to watch. To me it isn't really fun tearing it down as if it was something like Blame it on Rio, Easy Rider The Ride back or Addicted to Love. For We Hate Movies, or any bad movie podcast, I think their better episodes are when they are talking a truly bad movie.