Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Has anyone seen thick vertical color bars appear on your screens for a fraction of a second. It happens so fast that my wife doesn't even catch it. I can't entirely rule the TV being the issue out, since we bought both at the same time, but one time video just plain stopped working through the xbox and I had to unplug it from the wall to power it down all the way before I could get it working again. Only happened that one time though and I didn't see the color bars yesterday after applying the June update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Saladman posted:

Does anyone else using HDMI control have the problem where if your TV and stereo tuner are on BEFORE you turn on the Bone, the Bone will shut them off? If I turn on the Bone first it (very slowly) automatically turns everything else on, but if I do it in the opposite order it fucks everything up. The PS3 does this fine, so I know it's not some fundamental issue with HDMI control.

Sounds like it's just sending the power toggle command to those devices via IR. Your options there are limited, if that's a problem just turn off from settings -> "display & sound" -> "Set up TV & A/V control" -> "Device Power Options"

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

Sounds like it's just sending the power toggle command to those devices via IR. Your options there are limited, if that's a problem just turn off from settings -> "display & sound" -> "Set up TV & A/V control" -> "Device Power Options"

Awesome, that's it. I'd gotten to the setting before that and nicely it registered my stereo tuner and TV just fine, but didn't notice that last option (if it existed back in February anyway... probably it did). So much nicer now. It's pretty weird that "toggle" was the default.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Saladman posted:

Awesome, that's it. I'd gotten to the setting before that and nicely it registered my stereo tuner and TV just fine, but didn't notice that last option (if it existed back in February anyway... probably it did). So much nicer now. It's pretty weird that "toggle" was the default.

I feel like this screen is new, but I haven't looked at it in a while, and there's a been a lot of updates, so who knows. :)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Does Max: Curse of the Brotherhood not support Kinect? I feel like Kinect would be a perfect use for his magic pencil, rather than the awful UI using the controller. As far as I can tell the answer is "no", but that's like... mind blowing, and maybe it's just hidden away somewhere also?

Anyway, it's alright so far. Kind of like if Limbo had colors and had been fun. Ultimately a pretty run-of-the-mill platformer but at least it motivates me turn the Xbox on.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

I feel like this screen is new, but I haven't looked at it in a while, and there's a been a lot of updates, so who knows. :)

It's new as of the June update.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Chasiubao posted:

It's new as of the June update.

Has to be. I've checked a dozen times because I want my Xbox to turn my TV on when its not already on but had to disable it since about half the time I'm just switching from another source. Telling the Xbox to turn on, only for the TV to turn off was annoying.

I'm hoping that add the ability for me to issue voice commands to change my TVs source and then I don't have to track down my remote anymore

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This is one good thing but I still can't load up a USB key with music and videos and just plug it into the USB port so I still hate this crappy brick.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crafty posted:

I doubt they'd get rid of Xbox record that, for non Kinect users I imagine it will be a press two buttons at once equivalent. Realistically that can't really require too much gpu bandwidth. Not sure about the dvr snap stuff.

The 10% of resources they are freeing up are the resources used for kinect processing and possibly snap. Listening for voice commands is a constant 2% usage of the GPU out of the total 10% reserved. It's been confirmed on major nelsons twitter that it's a per game solution so won't be retroactive and will only apply to developers making use of it, but a game using the full extra 10% is unlikely to be able to support any kinect commands while playing. You'll probably have a "kinect functions are not available when playing this title" like how some games on the vita disabled wifi and give you a similar notification. This may also apply to snap, it's listed as part of the 10% system reserve but it was previously said kinect was 8% for video/2% for audio on it's own so who knows.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
why would kinect hog the gpu and not the cpu?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Chamber 9 posted:

why would kinect hog the gpu and not the cpu?

It uses GPGPU for it's processing, the reserved CPU cores are for OS functionality.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If they're going to disable Kinect's always listening functions/it's 'eyes and ears' then also freeing up whatever reserve of always recording video they use for Xbox, Record That for titles that are opting out of Kinect seems like a cleaner solution than hacking together a button press for it, no?

Or does the always recording feature use something else to work?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The kinect has it's own fan and weighs like 300g.

I thought it was supposed to do all it's own processing?

PUT THE loving MICROPHONE IN THE CONSOLE. gently caress THE CAMERA.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

If they're going to disable Kinect's always listening functions/it's 'eyes and ears' then also freeing up whatever reserve of always recording video they use for Xbox, Record That for titles that are opting out of Kinect seems like a cleaner solution than hacking together a button press for it, no?

Or does the always recording feature use something else to work?

Recording is probably done using OS CPU resources and the onchip encoder and so wouldn't make a difference if disabled (those resources are forever sequestered, even if it was disabled those cycles couldn't suddenly be used for games), the gpu however only has the kinect and snap based stuff having an allocation and is easier to turn off. Also GPU resources will have a bigger impact relative to the CPU.

Laserface posted:

The kinect has it's own fan and weighs like 300g.

I thought it was supposed to do all it's own processing?

Short answer: it doesn't, it relies on the main system for almost everything to the point where without it it is unable to function.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Stux posted:

Recording is probably done using OS CPU resources and the onchip encoder and so wouldn't make a difference if disabled (those resources are forever sequestered, even if it was disabled those cycles couldn't suddenly be used for games), the gpu however only has the kinect and snap based stuff having an allocation and is easier to turn off. Also GPU resources will have a bigger impact relative to the CPU.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't know the specifics of how the recording stuff works on Xbox One.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

peter gabriel posted:

drat that is a shame, hopefully they get the dongle released soon and then be back on track with this peripheral for the PC version.

I'm looking forward to the eventual dongle too. I bought the 360 adapter years ago and it's been perfect.

I just tried the driver out and the controller worked, but the headset adapter didn't. Doesn't matter to me, but I'm sure there's some people out there who were looking forward to semi-wireless headphones.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like Forza 5 for $39.99 and Forza 5 Car Pack for $33.49 are also part of the "Deals with Gold" (although the pricing on the dash keeps flopping back and forth between full price/discount:

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/474769905288740865

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

One of the threads suggested in the OP hasn't seen a new post since February so I'll ask my question in here: Is it possible to join a game as a party on the XOne? (Assuming there is room in the match of course). This is something I did regularly on the 360, but have had no luck with 3 different games on the PS4. It's very discouraging to get separated during a search and then having to tell each other "No, you join my match (or team/squad/etc)."

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
That would be up to the game, but yes it's possible.

Titanfall is just like COD was on the 360. Start a lobby, invite friends and search for a match as a squad.

I think Plants vs Zombies works like what you're describing though. There's no way to party up before playing and the only option is to send invites when you're in a match.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Laserface posted:

Then people would complain about NSA being able to listen in all the time!

I like it as a separate unit, means you can position it accordingly as you like, and it's better than having it in the controller since you don't get the noise filtering when you have your system turned up to 11, and you can talk to it from across the room compared to if you had your controller sitting on the couch.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

John Brown posted:

One of the threads suggested in the OP hasn't seen a new post since February so I'll ask my question in here: Is it possible to join a game as a party on the XOne? (Assuming there is room in the match of course). This is something I did regularly on the 360, but have had no luck with 3 different games on the PS4. It's very discouraging to get separated during a search and then having to tell each other "No, you join my match (or team/squad/etc)."

Yes and No. The first iteration of Parties meant that when one person joined a game, if you were in their party, the OS would offer you a notification which allowed you to join their game. This also sneakily was trying to palm off in-game chat as party chat, and to chat exclusively with your friends in your party (like you would assume you were already) would require you to enable party chat. Depending on the game, Party chat had to be enabled before you joined the game for it to even work.

They got a lot of bad feedback about parties and basically made it like the old way - you join a party, you're all in an enclosed chat. the OS level game-join 'toast' message no longer comes up, but you can join the persons game from the friends list, just like 360 (join party, join game, join both are all options)

Battlefield is really dumb in that it lets you join a friend in a game but it makes no effort to keep you on the same team. once you all get on the same team, you wont be switched (even with balancing). They recently enabled 'squad join' which is similar to the lobby found in Halo or COD but its terribly broken and people have reported that function as putting them on the wrong team or in the wrong squad and unable to change the squad.

I havent played any other games besides Forza online, and that doesnt really have 'teams' so yeah I cant comment.

All I know is that for the most part game lobbies havent been improved on since Halo 3, at least for consoles.

This is literally the dumbest thing considering people openly talk about the most personal poo poo on a daily basis in public while on their phone, which if warranted could be recorded by any government body with enough desire to do so.

and in my experience, the closer you are to the microphone, the better this kind of thing works, so its a no brainer to put it in the console (or just jack straight into the headset if you're playing a game)

Why arent they offloading voice recognition to *~THE CLOUD~* like literally every other voice system does?
Then people would complain about NSA being able to listen in all the time!

I like it as a separate unit, means you can position it accordingly as you like, and it's better than having it in the controller since you don't get the noise filtering when you have your system turned up to 11, and you can talk to it from across the room compared to if you had your controller sitting on the couch.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 6, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
How do you guys feel about Dead Rising 3, one of the pillar exclusives of the platform, no longer being exclusive?

Does this worry you guys at all (seeing as the reply to the question post was mostly "I got an Xbox one for its exclusives")?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

How do you guys feel about Dead Rising 3, one of the pillar exclusives of the platform, no longer being exclusive?

Does this worry you guys at all (seeing as the reply to the question post was mostly "I got an Xbox one for its exclusives")?

Are you mentally ill? because you've been at this with literally thousands of posts (~45000 in total holy gently caress) for the better part of a year now.

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 6, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Are you mentally ill? because you've been at this with literally thousands of posts (~45000) for the better part of a year now.

Woah, friend. I merely asked a question and you begin with personal insults? Seems like someone might be projecting a little.

Edit: Yes I have posted 44000 posts about the Xbox one and only the Xbox one in ten years. I was literally posting about how bad the Xbox one was when it was the Xbox 1. Very good work mr. Angry.

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 6, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Woah, friend. I merely asked a question and you begin with personal insults? Seems like someone might be projecting a little.

I think its you're more like the girl who posts a sick fit but has fresh cut marks up and down their legs and gets annoyed if people say you need help.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I think its you're more like the girl who posts a sick fit but has fresh cut marks up and down their legs and gets annoyed if people say you need help.

Holy poo poo, and you say I have mental issues.

Jesus loving christ, get help man.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:wtc:

Barons asked a legitimate question, a question which I am also interested in the answer to.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Long time Xbox Loyalist and thread lurker here. Bought a 'Bone on day one, huge fan of the exclusives. Was really hoping when I bought this children's toy that the games for it wouldn't be available on other platforms, but when I fired up the IE app to browse the net this morning I was pretty drat shocked to hear that some lovely pile of crap was gonna be on PC as well or some poo poo. Lmfao. And now some brain dead retards who post in the xbox bashing thread 24/7 have come to rub it in *visibly shaking now* Not dead rising...I chose the wrong console. This is bullshit...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Aus boners, bigW is selling the Polk 4 Shot headphones for $58 on their website. The price only applies to the tan/blue coloured pair, not the black pair ($125, which is still a $44 discount)

you can either get postage or in-store pickup at your local store, but the price is not available in store directly.

I assume this is because of the lovely reviews due to the mic problem they had (which Polk are sending our new microphones to resolve) the less than favourable colourway, and the overall mediocre success of the Bone.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Peeved about Zombie Games

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:eyepop:

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
Forza 5 GOTY version coming in July http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/06/forza-5-racing-game-of-the-year-edition-revealed

quote:

In addition to Forza 5's original content, this edition features 18 next-generation tracks and the Top Gear car pack with 10 downloadable vehicles. Forza Motorsport 5: Racing Game of the Year will be available for $60/ £50/€70

Forza 5 has 15 (I think) tracks standard, so that's 3 tracks and 10 cars extra.

Pretty funny that they announce this version of the game just after they offer Forza 5 for 33% off :v:.

edit: Fantasia Music Evolved comes out October 21st https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tRyepQBoCM

Ronald Duck fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 6, 2014

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants
So anyways, when did Netflix get updated on Smartglass? The new integration is awesome. You can swipe between screens and type in searches from your tablet. So much better than having to use the app on the Xbone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Classy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did anyone name Forza 5 GOTY?

Edit: Oh, they're calling it Racing Game of the Year. What happened to "Gold Edition"?

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

As a boner who owns and enjoys his bone I would like to say that you take video games and also posting on the internet way too seriously. Jesus.

Ps: I don't regret my purchase and don't care if exclusives go to other platforms.

Fake Name fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 6, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

You're a sick piece of poo poo and if this poo poo even crosses your mind you should lock yourself in a padded room you loving weirdo.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Could you please reframe this in a Philip Seymour Hoffman heroin analogy? I'm worried about Barons and I don't think this one hits hard enough.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Bob NewSCART posted:

You're a sick piece of poo poo and if this poo poo even crosses your mind you should lock yourself in a padded room you loving weirdo.

you mean the exact thing that happened here like 2 weeks ago?

For some explanation I come back here after a year away and theres this same guy posting literally the exact same things (thousands of times apparently from post history) from before about something he will never buy so I asked if he was mentally ill. He didn't understand so I framed it in a way a guy who uses the forums as much as him would.

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

It got me pretty loving riled up. When my wife showed me the news article about it I almost reflexively thumped her with my liter bottle of mtn dew.

• Locked thread