Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Discount Trombones posted:

Actually, did someone try tweeting that guy about the Hulk Hogan Raft yet?

I can't find it at the moment, but yes someone did tweet about the Hulk Hogan raft and they are looking for it. Thank god we have a mom on the inside now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Liar Lyre posted:

I can't find it at the moment, but yes someone did tweet about the Hulk Hogan raft and they are looking for it. Thank god we have a mom on the inside now.

Thank god for Judy Bagwell.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Worth noting if you're just finding the Archivist that he has a monthly series on WWE Youtube with Joey Styles. So far they've covered Wrestlemania rings, the Smackdown fist and Undertaker's caskets/coffins.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

njsykora posted:

Worth noting if you're just finding the Archivist that he has a monthly series on WWE Youtube with Joey Styles. So far they've covered Wrestlemania rings, the Smackdown fist and Undertaker's caskets/coffins.

If you're talking about WWE Warehouse then I agree it's pretty drat interesting. They are pretty short too so it's definitely worth it to sit down and watch at least one.

VVVVVVVVVV Agreed 100%

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 5, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That's a show I'd really like to see get a regular spot on the Network. There's got to be enough stuff in there to spawn at least a couple seasons worth of material.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

njsykora posted:

I wish he would have mentioned the Goldust casket and the Jerry the King Lawler one that had its own freaking robe.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

That's a show I'd really like to see get a regular spot on the Network. There's got to be enough stuff in there to spawn at least a couple seasons worth of material.

Yeah, I'd watch that without a doubt and none of their current original shows interest me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

https://twitter.com/jaybriscoe84/status/474696615220215808

Jay Dumb Idiot Briscoe posted:

@ROHOreilly @theBobbyFish @FilthyTomLawlor HAHAHA!! THEN YOU CAN PRACTICE SUCKING EACH OTHER DICKS!!!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Sometimes I forget Jay Briscoe is a homophobic sack of poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

He is absolutely determined to deep six his career.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i don't get it

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He is absolutely determined to deep six his career.

He's also deep six'd his brother's career by association.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

He's also deep six'd his brother's career by association.

I don't think Mark is getting fired from the chicken farm for this.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
I'm so glad they never signed with WWE

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't they get an offer that magically evaporated the first time Jay was this dumb?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
They could always get careers if Geico ever decides to bring back the Cavemen.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't they get an offer that magically evaporated the first time Jay was this dumb?

Yes. Yes. they did. as a fan of the bricoes I was hoping they would get to the real pay windah. now mark can stay where he is and I have nothing but sympathy for jay who is at least able to control himself if not having to suffer his brothers bs.

edit: dusty

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Actually the offer magically evaporated after the third or fourth time Jay was that dumb. He had a history of making homophobic remarks, one of which I felt was worse than the one that got him into trouble when he was champ last year. HE was a heel at the time and people were hoping he was just playing a rear end in a top hat homophobe rather than actually being one though.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uid70a-K-X
How you do

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This video does not exist.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

This video does not exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uid70a-K-Xw

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Thauros posted:

Actually the offer magically evaporated after the third or fourth time Jay was that dumb. He had a history of making homophobic remarks, one of which I felt was worse than the one that got him into trouble when he was champ last year. HE was a heel at the time and people were hoping he was just playing a rear end in a top hat homophobe rather than actually being one though.

While both are super lovely, why is it that Jay Briscoe gets all this poo poo for posting homophobic slurs on his twitter while Silas Young says that poo poo on the ROH TV show and PPVs and noone cares?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Angular Landbury posted:

While both are super lovely, why is it that Jay Briscoe gets all this poo poo for posting homophobic slurs on his twitter while Silas Young says that poo poo on the ROH TV show and PPVs and noone cares?

Because he's a heel people are supposed to hate and pay to see beat up and he's never said anything close to as awful as what Jay said last year. There's a difference between a Men's Rights Activist and Jay being a homophobic poo poo.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

MassRafTer posted:

Because he's a heel people are supposed to hate and pay to see beat up and he's never said anything close to as awful as what Jay said last year. There's a difference between a Men's Rights Activist and Jay being a homophobic poo poo.

There's definitely a difference but I'm not sure it's a better one in the end. Jay is saying homophobic poo poo on his own twitter, meanwhile the heel character of Silas Young is saying homophobic poo poo and that has to get past bookers, script writers, executives, etc. Young as a "real man-rear end in a top hat" type character doesn't really bug me and I like the dude in the ring but the fact that homophobia is being used as an element in a pro wrestling show here in 2014 really sits as a lovely thing and bugs me a great deal more than a redneck dude saying redneck poo poo on his off-time.

Anyway, whatever, your mileage may vary.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Angular Landbury posted:

There's definitely a difference but I'm not sure it's a better one in the end. Jay is saying homophobic poo poo on his own twitter, meanwhile the heel character of Silas Young is saying homophobic poo poo and that has to get past bookers, script writers, executives, etc. Young as a "real man-rear end in a top hat" type character doesn't really bug me and I like the dude in the ring but the fact that homophobia is being used as an element in a pro wrestling show here in 2014 really sits as a lovely thing and bugs me a great deal more than a redneck dude saying redneck poo poo on his off-time.

Homophobia is being used as an example of a bad thing you shouldn't do, boo this man on a pro wrestling show.

Jay Briscoe went on twitter and said he'd shoot someone if they taught his kids it was OK to be gay.

How aren't you sure one is better than the other?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Angular Landbury posted:

Serious question.

Do you consider playing a Nazi in a movie worse than literally being a Nazi?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Great White Hope posted:

Serious question.

Do you consider playing a Nazi in a movie worse than literally being a Nazi?

No, he's just not sure if one is better than the other.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

MassRafTer posted:

I feel there may be some subtle and important distinctions between casual homophobia and literally being a member of a 1940s political party responsible for the extermination of millions of people that are being missed here.

Edit: That being said, if someone showed up on any rassling show tomorrow with a white power or historical nazi gimmick, people would be justifiably furious.

Angular Landbury fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 6, 2014

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Angular Landbury posted:

Edit: That being said, if someone showed up on any rassling show tomorrow with a white power or historical nazi gimmick, people would be justifiably furious.

I remember IWS had a neo-nazi tag team called the Angry Aryans, Damien & Viking. Damien was the more charismatic of the two and was willing to do a bunch of insane stiff indy headdrop poo poo, so people appreciated him despite the team's characters. Eventually, they broke up and started feuding, and the crowds rallied hardcore behind Damien, whose character was explicitly still a neo-nazi. He'd come out to a Landser song, march to the ring with a sieg heil in the air, and get thunderous cheers.

Maybe Canadians are more chill about that kind of thing.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'll admit that I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the 45-60 seconds Silas Young gets on the mic every week on ROH TV, but he's never said anything while I'm watching/listening while putzing around on my phone that snapped my attention to him.

I am shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, that a professional wrestler may call out his opponent as being less manly than himself.

There's a pretty wide gulf between "act like a man and fight me, the most manly man who ever manned" and repeated comments about dick-sucking.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Solomonic posted:

I remember IWS had a neo-nazi tag team called the Angry Aryans, Damien & Viking. Damien was the more charismatic of the two and was willing to do a bunch of insane stiff indy headdrop poo poo, so people appreciated him despite the team's characters. Eventually, they broke up and started feuding, and the crowds rallied hardcore behind Damien, whose character was explicitly still a neo-nazi. He'd come out to a Landser song, march to the ring with a sieg heil in the air, and get thunderous cheers.

Yeah, possibly that + just being a smarky indie crowd thst are open to such things? That's loving bizarre though.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

skaboomizzy posted:

There's a pretty wide gulf between "act like a man and fight me, the most manly man who ever manned" and repeated comments about dick-sucking.

I don't mind the manly man stuff, it's just the "Men shouldn't kiss other men!" statement he made a while back and the calling opponents "fruits" that got at me. It just seems to be a less vulgar version of the same sentiment Jay was making GBS threads up the internet with.

Anyway, whatever. This conversation went full nazi really loving quickly and that's probably a good indication to stop it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just want to say, that I like Silas Young a lot. He has a really funny angry face, and he is good in the ring.

and really if a character can't say bad things then whats even the point of wrestling?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

loving :lol:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Solomonic posted:

I think it's more that they assumed he wasn't really a Nazi and liked the fact that he worked hard to entertain them. Indy crowds will embrace pretty much anybody who has a history of doing crazy poo poo for their enjoyment. I mean, they embraced BJ Whitmer, who, other than some insane bumps, has done pretty much nothing of note.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

What are you :lol:ing at, exactly? MRT is right.

Angular Landbury posted:

I don't mind the manly man stuff, it's just the "Men shouldn't kiss other men!" statement he made a while back and the calling opponents "fruits" that got at me. It just seems to be a less vulgar version of the same sentiment Jay was making GBS threads up the internet with.

Anyway, whatever. This conversation went full nazi really loving quickly and that's probably a good indication to stop it.

Silas is heeling, Jay literally believes these things. How do you not see how the latter is worse? Also no, calling someone a "fruit" is not as bad as threatening to shoot someone because they happen to be a gay teacher.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

What are you :lol:ing at, exactly? MRT is right.

people laugh at jokes

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

For what it's worth, I brought up Nazis because the biggest movie franchise right now (The Avengers) outright began, timeline-wise, with a guy fighting Nazis, and certainly if homophobic villains have no place in media, Nazis don't either.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think it's more that they assumed he wasn't really a Nazi and liked the fact that he worked hard to entertain them. Indy crowds will embrace pretty much anybody who has a history of doing crazy poo poo for their enjoyment. I mean, they embraced BJ Whitmer, who, other than some insane bumps, has done pretty much nothing of note.

This is probably true, especially combined with IWS having never been particularly sensitive or politically correct, and there was definitely a lot of crazy poo poo going on. I remember seeing this at Breakout 2005 and being like "drat that dude is awesome for taking those chops". It was the era of Super Dragon so the more you stiffed people and dropped them on their heads, the better I perceived you as being. :shobon: That match actually ends in an unprotected top rope double knee cannonball senton, which in retrospect is absolutely insane but it blew the roof off the place.

So yeah, I think you're right. If people like a wrestler, that tends to transcend bad gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sir Jebus posted:

people laugh at jokes

I wasn't sure, since it's LL.