Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Hell Gem

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'd argue that MOTBW is significantly better now, and has been for a while. The last patch in September fixed most of the remaining issues (except possibly the polymorph bug; my latest run hasn't used that spell yet, so I couldn't really say). They are allegedly, according to the developer themselves, continuing to work on it, as well, but their track record on releasing patches in a timely fashion is... highly questionable.

Edit: apparently they're fairly certain they'll have a new, fairly big patch out by the end of February. So, March maybe.
Okay, I'll wait for that patch and jump back in then. :dance:

Thanks for the quick and exhaustive reply, GreyjoyBastard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I bought MOTBW a while back when it was on sale on GOG and I played a few hours of it. It looks nice, the new world types are interesting, and I haven't encountered any real bugs. However, I'm not a big fan of the interface redesign, particularly on the castle screen. The fact that combat is pretty slow due to all the animations sucks too. The interface being easy to use and always displaying plenty of information without little submenus and the smooth, quick combat were always nice things about Genesis, so I still prefer Genesis over MOTBW.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I keep running into this bug where when I open certain menus, I can't get back out of them.

The close is greyed out for no particular reason, hitting ESC doesn't do anything. Sometimes I get lucky and I can still press E and end my turn, which closes the menu, but not this time. I have to close the game via the Process Manager. Anyone got a fix or something?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Just got my rear end kicked starting out in this game twice. First was as a wizard, I started out with my three dudes and went looking for trouble. Got my rear end carved up in the first fight. Then I tried a warrior and the same thing happened. enemy ranged units killed 2 of my four mans before I ever engaged.

Are you just supposed to turtle up for the first ten or so turns to get shops and such going?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Dregs posted:

Just got my rear end kicked starting out in this game twice. First was as a wizard, I started out with my three dudes and went looking for trouble. Got my rear end carved up in the first fight. Then I tried a warrior and the same thing happened. enemy ranged units killed 2 of my four mans before I ever engaged.

Are you just supposed to turtle up for the first ten or so turns to get shops and such going?

Not for ten turns, but it's a good idea to just have your starting hero explore the home province while you build a basic shop, library, and some manner of unit recruitment up.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

The Dregs posted:

Don't waste your time with the starting army, put a militia in your garrison and spend a few turns recruiting better units to replace the rest. Try barbarians, they're cheap and powerful enough to get the ball rolling with any hero.

Also wizards are really hard if you don't use summoned demons or undead, I wouldn't suggest them to start with.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Dregs posted:

Wizards rely on undead or demons as mentioned but in the early rounds you can skate by with a bunch of magic arrows as well. This game has a pretty big learning curve in figuring out what you can handle and what you can't. Warriors get better much faster but they are more limited. Once you have a Warrior at level 10 as a Berserker with Regen stacked and some decent gear he can clear a lot of stuff on his own with no army to speak of. The Wizard will always need an Army if for nothing other than a meat shield. I recommend the Barbarians because they have good life and hit fairly hard, they're also cheap.

The first 10-15 rounds you might be passing a lot depending on what your starting area is giving you from exploring it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Start at the easiest difficulty. The game is hard.

A decent build is a commander with some crossbowmen and swordsmen. It's expensive and requires you to push out fast, but with a couple of unit leveling bonuses and the commander bonuses, they can take out armies much more powerful than you'd expect. Get a healer eventually, and you'll be able to go on with very few casualties. I suggest getting the Astral Energy spell (Sorcery school), it gives a unit another turn, which is extremely useful and maybe Web (same) which takes away a turn or two from an enemy unit. Until you get a healer, a copy of Cure Wounds (Holy school) is also a good idea.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
OK, so i started this game again and I did a little better. I conquered the four surrounding provinces, but they all suck. My little rota-menu is empty on all of them. I can't build or hire guards or anything, whereas in the tutorial missions they immediately acted as if I owned them all along. What gives?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Dregs posted:

OK, so i started this game again and I did a little better. I conquered the four surrounding provinces, but they all suck. My little rota-menu is empty on all of them. I can't build or hire guards or anything, whereas in the tutorial missions they immediately acted as if I owned them all along. What gives?

I think the tutorial starts you off with certain buildings prebuilt in your capital. In normal shards you'll need to build the stuff in your Capital first then build in the surrounding areas. Note that a lot of the buildings have really high cost to profit ratios so don't just run around wasting your cash building storehouses in every spot. Guards are similar in that you don't need to hire them until you actually run into the AI player(you can handle uprisings by managing morale effectively or having a hero in the area when they occur) and even then only a few of the Guard troops are worth using.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Some basic stuff:

If you do not know what you are doing, and if you are playing on one of the easier levels, go with a Scout first (cheap, strategically usefull), and hire either 3 Swordsman or 3 Barbs. I personally tend to be a goody 2 shoes, so I go Swordsmen.
The buildorder is 1rst turn the Swordsmen bulding prereq, then Swordsmen (dont buy them yet), then basic mage guild. Now, grab the 3 swords, and grab some spells (I personally like 2X Magic Spark and 1X Fatigue). These spells dont cost anything and give your hero something to do in the first tactical turns.

In tactical fights, use your scout to snipe enemy archers (use magic spark if out of range), preferably put him on a hill. The Swordsmen tank, they are considerably better in taking a hit than in hitting someone btw (with some exception, like enemy barbs). The healer heals.

If you have/have found easy stuff in your cap, go take that, and use the money to get healers. Hopefully, you get a command level up early. Get a healer, and then prioriize the level 1 sorcery guild.
Sorcery is awesome, because it gives extravagance and web, web is a lifesaver.

Once you got a hero with 3 swords, a healer and some spells, grab some surrounding provinces. Get a Workshop somewhere (the building that sells basic bow stuff) to get enough arrows.
If this is a tiny map, 3 swords + healer + hero can actually be enough to kill the opponent. If not, start looking for those economic buildings. If you have forest, getthe building that gives you sawmills, if hills, the building that gets you mines.

If you have lots of provinces that arent human, try prioritizing the combination of theater (Tier 2 entertainment) and a Tier 2 Inn. This gives you the ability to build inns in provinces, which improve morale by 1. This is enough to keep Orcs, Goblins, Halflings and Lizards docile. Dwarfs are sadly friggin jerks and always hate you.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Ugh, hadn't played in a while and I guess one of the recent patches invalidated my saved games. Oh well, I kind of wanted to restart anyway. I suppose since I know what I'm doing it shouldn't take too long to blast through all these shards, this time I'll leave the AI players alone and see what happens instead of killing them as soon as I get the chance.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I drop by every few months to ask - have they improved the ui and speed/responsiveness of the game? I kept playing Genesis because all the early reports and videos I saw online didn't look so hot, particularly since Genesis is really fast to play.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

victrix posted:

I drop by every few months to ask - have they improved the ui and speed/responsiveness of the game? I kept playing Genesis because all the early reports and videos I saw online didn't look so hot, particularly since Genesis is really fast to play.

Yeah, the shard view seems a bit quicker. Combat at max speed is pretty darn fast, and of course the quick combat option is still there although I wish the quick combat option was available before you went into combat like in Heroes and the AI seems a lot better about not losing units than it did before, although the enemy AI is still smart enough to focus fire.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MOTBW is $4.99 on Steam for the next 48 hours. I'm thinking of picked it up, the trailers make it look pretty cool. I read that there were some pretty bad game-breaking bugs at release, are those resolved now?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

MOTBW is $4.99 on Steam for the next 48 hours. I'm thinking of picked it up, the trailers make it look pretty cool. I read that there were some pretty bad game-breaking bugs at release, are those resolved now?

Yeah, MoTBW is pretty stable now.

Also, apparently there was a new update released today: http://steamcommunity.com/games/232050/announcements/detail/1820888694405253557. I haven't heard anything about it, and I'm only seeing it on Steam, not on GOG. It says it adds multiplayer and a bunch of new units.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I loved this part of the update:

"Our studio will never forget the release of Eador. It was a complete chaotic mess in the best of Russian traditions."

I approve of self awareness. Finally bought, I'll give this a try and see how much it's improved.

edit: Get into the first tutorial fight, can't finish the last enemy, can't attack it, tutorial doesn't advance. :allears:

victrix fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 1, 2014

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
If a counterattacking unit kills an enemy, the enemy remains at 0 hp forever. The way to continue is to use the autoresolve combat function. Been like this since launch.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

King Doom posted:

If a counterattacking unit kills an enemy, the enemy remains at 0 hp forever. The way to continue is to use the autoresolve combat function. Been like this since launch.

I think something got messed up in the last patch because I was rarely having this problem before and now it happens every battle.

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

victrix posted:

edit: Get into the first tutorial fight, can't finish the last enemy, can't attack it, tutorial doesn't advance. :allears:

Just started playing, myself, and already hit this bug. I managed to get past it by just doing Quick Combat from the menu.

EDIT: The last two posts are probably the cause of my problem exactly.

Nimrod fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 6, 2014

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Hah, there is a new DLC. Anyone got it? How are the new units?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/303730/

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Hell Gem
Started playing a couple of days ago and haven't encountered any bugs yet. Go me! :)

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

Luisfe posted:

Hah, there is a new DLC. Anyone got it? How are the new units?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/303730/

The new units are pretty awesome. I've yet to make an alliance with any races since buying the DLC, but it's really nice to have variation in the units you're fighting when attacking provinces, instead of 8x of the same goblin or whatever.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I keep getting Harpy Nests in my home province and so I've put some thought into how to best make use of them.

Obviously I start with a commander so I can hire as many of them as soon as possible. I get Brigands and a Library. With Fatigue I can easily clear the surrounding provinces and level my commander enough to get his first and second tier 2 unit slot. Along the way I pick up Healers and a School of Sorcery.
In my current game I got to this point by turn 25 which I feel is pretty early for tier 2 units. The way I fight is just hit and run with the harpies. Those that get attacked in retaliation return to get healed.

My goal is to get a third harpy as soon as possible, because at that point I can take on locations with tier 3 units such as minotaurs or trolls by using Web.

As supercharged Barbarians they seem to work well enough for fighting against forces of equal or smaller size. They really struggle when outnumbered, however. They can't take much damage and will not be able to protect Healers indefinitely. I'm not yet sure how I'm going to make them work later in the game.

Has anyone else found working strategies for harpies?

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

a!n posted:

I keep getting Harpy Nests in my home province and so I've put some thought into how to best make use of them.

Obviously I start with a commander so I can hire as many of them as soon as possible. I get Brigands and a Library. With Fatigue I can easily clear the surrounding provinces and level my commander enough to get his first and second tier 2 unit slot. Along the way I pick up Healers and a School of Sorcery.
In my current game I got to this point by turn 25 which I feel is pretty early for tier 2 units. The way I fight is just hit and run with the harpies. Those that get attacked in retaliation return to get healed.

My goal is to get a third harpy as soon as possible, because at that point I can take on locations with tier 3 units such as minotaurs or trolls by using Web.

As supercharged Barbarians they seem to work well enough for fighting against forces of equal or smaller size. They really struggle when outnumbered, however. They can't take much damage and will not be able to protect Healers indefinitely. I'm not yet sure how I'm going to make them work later in the game.

Has anyone else found working strategies for harpies?

It's been a while since I played but I was good enough to finish the game fairly ironman ish on a high difficulty settingfor what its worth. My first hero was also generally a commander, so finding any source of early tier two units, including harpies was great.

That said, I don't think harpies are hugely special, just valuable because you can get them before thugs etc. If you have haste they can be good at knocking out armies with a lot of dangerous ranged units (ballistas e.g.). They are also low on stamina which haste helps with.

Astral energy is of course one of the best early spells but also works very well with the highly mobile / high damage but low defense harpies.

For medals, one choice is to just focus on damage medals, but with commander defense bonuses and either the ranged or melee defense medals they can at least get rugged enough to not worry too much about tier one and then just be careful against higher tier units.

Very high level I think they can get no retaliation which is pretty valuable.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I started playing the campaign for this recently and just got to the point where I can attack the other mages' home shards - is this something I can/should do as soon as possible, and are there any rewards for it, or should I keep grabbing shards for new buildings?

Also, how does diplomacy work in the campaign (outside of maps)? Right now two of them are at indifference, one dislike, and one contempt. Do these get adjusted based on what I do on actual maps? I'd like to get along with some of them at least.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Armor-Piercing posted:

I started playing the campaign for this recently and just got to the point where I can attack the other mages' home shards - is this something I can/should do as soon as possible, and are there any rewards for it, or should I keep grabbing shards for new buildings?

Also, how does diplomacy work in the campaign (outside of maps)? Right now two of them are at indifference, one dislike, and one contempt. Do these get adjusted based on what I do on actual maps? I'd like to get along with some of them at least.

You permanently remove them from the game, which can be useful if they're being a pain in the rear end, and get the benefits of conquering a really good shard, but nothing special. It's also really loving difficult to do if you're not well prepared.

Diplomacy depends on: What you do on the maps (War and conquest is OK, betrayal is not OK, friendship is appreciated), your alignment, and what you say to them in Astral.

edit: Some of them can do special stuff later on, so don't be too trigger happy unless you want them dead ASAP.

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 7, 2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The Allied Forces DLC is on sale on GOG. I haven't heard anything about it, is it worth picking up?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gobblecoque posted:

The Allied Forces DLC is on sale on GOG. I haven't heard anything about it, is it worth picking up?

Seems good so far

BTW this game has been updated to be awesome as gently caress since it was released

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

WYA posted:

Seems good so far

BTW this game has been updated to be awesome as gently caress since it was released

This piques my interest. Care to explain?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

a!n posted:

This piques my interest. Care to explain?

They sped up combat so everything happens instant like the original. The game feels a lot smoother, the interface is smoother (esp. with province building) Silly bugs are gone, karma actually matters for the campaign

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Game is $6 on Steam for the duration of the sale if anyone wants to pick this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Eador owns

• Locked thread