Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Has anyone here used the HD version of the Line 6 POD's at all? They interest me since I don't play guitar very much but would like to have something external for effects (I currently just use Guitar Rig in Ableton.) I know not to expect amazing quality and while I've read some positive reviews on other sites I value this thread's opinion on the unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

net work error posted:

Has anyone here used the HD version of the Line 6 POD's at all? They interest me since I don't play guitar very much but would like to have something external for effects (I currently just use Guitar Rig in Ableton.) I know not to expect amazing quality and while I've read some positive reviews on other sites I value this thread's opinion on the unit.

POD HD is pretty great. A little more expensive than the competition and certainly not your only option. You've also got 11rack, Zoom G5, Fender Mustang Floor, and Boss GT-10 to consider.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

field balm posted:

Been having fun runing my guitar into a granular processing vst (ggrain), there isn't any sort of hardware that does granular stuff is there? It would need to be digital right?

Granulation was first accomplished using hardware, but I don't think it would have been very practical for guitar... At least not live.

Also, I suddenly want one of those Zoom units.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heads up: the Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb is now back in stock at ProGuitarShop. I bookmarked this thing a little over a month ago after Agreed namedropped it and I checked it out and it seemed to be the reverb to get...if you don't have the money for an Eventide Space, that is (which I don't). But it has been out of stock for the past month, so I immediately ordered one because who knows how long it'll stay in stock for?

It has a bunch of settings including this absolutely gorgeous Shimmer setting which is like an octave verb and Supernova which has flange in it. And, as the name says, it sounds like it'll be perfect for making ambient music, which is what I intend to do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ZtFi83v8Y

It's listed at $179, but if you use coupon code PEDAL15 at checkout, you get 15% off (save $27 instantly). And there's free Priority USPS shipping, too. So it was just over $150 when all was said and done.

http://proguitarshop.com/hardwire-supernatural-reverb.html

I'll post a trip report in a few days when I get mine :)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

POD HD is pretty great. A little more expensive than the competition and certainly not your only option. You've also got 11rack, Zoom G5, Fender Mustang Floor, and Boss GT-10 to consider.

I hadn't really thought of other units but the Zoom looks really cool, thanks.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I use the Zoom G5 and it's awesome and real tubezz (well tube)

The interface takes a little getting used to (or you can mod it fairly easily) but I think it's worth it and you can also do poo poo with it that other pedals don't do.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhhhhh so I got my Hardwire Supernatural in today and this is bar none the best reverb pedal I have ever owned. I honestly don't care if I ever get the Eventide Space after hearing this thing. And for only $150? This is definitely one of the best musical purchases I've made in a long time.

Now I just need a Ditto X2 looper and I can make some killer ambient jams.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Uhhhhh so I got my Hardwire Supernatural in today and this is bar none the best reverb pedal I have ever owned. I honestly don't care if I ever get the Eventide Space after hearing this thing. And for only $150? This is definitely one of the best musical purchases I've made in a long time.

I have it bro. So fun. I did a crummy review of the 1. Since then I have bought the two and it is twice as good. I like having batteries in something like a looper because if I am going somewhere and I can only bring one pedal, its gonna be a looper.

Hell I can make do with loving headphones instead of an amp as long as I can loop.

What they don't tel you is that the reverse, when selected reverses from the moment you step. SO you can reverse, forward, reverse, forward through a second of the loop. I've spent 10 minutes just reversing and forwarding small little things and making songs just out of the reverse flow. Also when in reverse you can record and then go back to regular and that part you recorded will now be reverse.

Also double tapping in reverse mode goes to the half time (which by the way had way more merit to it than I was expecting. You can record in halftime then double it up for a medieval bard type of sound. Lots of fun to be had.

But at the end of the day its a loving looper. (this is a compliment.)
I strongly recommend running two. In fact I have plans to mod both into a single enclosure and wiring the battery to power both. Running both allows you to make a small ambient kind of loop that can fit many keys, then with the second looper you can record the first along with some context. I use my x2 for like 10 second weird sound effects and then loop then record over it with the mini looper. I can have one sound going on the x2 for hours and just push it in new directions every couple of minutes. Then you slowly fade out back to that steady loop. Really fun and meditative kind of playing. I love these things!

E: You don't on the crazy off chance live in Orlando do you? Looking for some people to jam with and just make some sounds without attaching too much fuss to it. Everyone I find is looking to start a band. I've jammed with a few guys but it was less about coming together to create something great and more about who can play faster and crazier scales. Not my style.

How do you guys find people to jam with? Do I really need to just troll guitar center till something works out?

philkop fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 2, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It sounds like fun! :D That'll be my next pedal purchase for sure.

philkop posted:

E: You don't on the crazy off chance live in Orlando do you? Looking for some people to jam with and just make some sounds without attaching too much fuss to it. Everyone I find is looking to start a band. I've jammed with a few guys but it was less about coming together to create something great and more about who can play faster and crazier scales. Not my style.

How do you guys find people to jam with? Do I really need to just troll guitar center till something works out?
I don't, no :( I live in New Orleans. I wish I could be in another band. The only one I've been in was a post-rock band my friends started and invited me to join.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

So start one.
Bandmix and CL and the staff at local shops are great resources.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Also you're in New Orleans which has a thriving music scene

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

iostream.h posted:

So start one.

I never knew about band mix thanks!

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

It sounds like fun! :D That'll be my next pedal purchase for sure.
I don't, no :( I live in New Orleans. I wish I could be in another band. The only one I've been in was a post-rock band my friends started and invited me to join.

Yeah dude, your in one of the music capitals of the United States. There is no way you could not easily find people to form a band with you or to join up with one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iostream.h posted:

So start one.
Huh, I'd never heard of Bandmix either.

Yeah, CL's an option. The band I was in a while back found a temporary violinist through CL, and a friend of mine found a vocalist for his electro pop project through there too. I'd rather start another band with friends, but that hasn't happened so far, so maybe it's something to consider.

Declan MacManus posted:

Also you're in New Orleans which has a thriving music scene

Stravinsky posted:

Yeah dude, your in one of the music capitals of the United States. There is no way you could not easily find people to form a band with you or to join up with one.
Yeah, y'all are right :shobon: I'm trying to work on some solo stuff right now, but once I'm done with that, I'll probably more seriously consider joining a band or forming a new one.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

I am loving mine to death for ambient/post rock. I should start recording when I play around because I get some interesting things going.

philkop already went over a lot of what's awesome with the Ditto, and I just want to echo all of it. It's a great, simple pedal that can do a lot. I love making weird sounds and last night for about a half hour I had about 4 loops going, all pretty simple, then added in some ambience in the background with a wind-like sound. I got the sound by using EQ after my SHO clone to make the crackle only the higher frequencies, and tweak the time of the tape delay mode of my digidelay.

And I'm waiting on a power supply for my reverb so I haven't even played with that in the chain yet.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Any recommendation for a simple ABY pedal to switch between two guitars going into a PodXT?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I want to get a compressor to even out my bass tone, but compressors marketed towards bassists seem to have their prices pumped to the limit simply because bassists tend to have fewer pedals and so can be squeezed more readily for the few that are 'neccesary'.

I was looking at the Mooer Yellow Comp (http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20110-mooer-yellow-comp-review) or similar 'budget' brand, is there something which would make this unsuitable for bass?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I want to get a compressor to even out my bass tone, but compressors marketed towards bassists seem to have their prices pumped to the limit simply because bassists tend to have fewer pedals and so can be squeezed more readily for the few that are 'neccesary'.

I was looking at the Mooer Yellow Comp (http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20110-mooer-yellow-comp-review) or similar 'budget' brand, is there something which would make this unsuitable for bass?

I've no idea what circuit this is based on, it might have an input capacitor that would remove some bass frequencies if its for guitar (i have no idea if this is a thing pedal manufacturers do in compressors). I've had good luck just using second hand pro-audio rack compressors, they're cheap and a compressor isn't something I'd switch on and off - importantly they're full frequency because of being used for audio mixdowns etc. Keep the ratio low not to squish it too much. I don't get/enjoy the sound of a compressor on a guitar unless you're going for some clean ambient poo poo, but they can really help bass pop through the mix.

I have used a 3630 and a boss rcl-10 for this, but ymmv!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

field balm posted:

I've no idea what circuit this is based on, it might have an input capacitor that would remove some bass frequencies if its for guitar (i have no idea if this is a thing pedal manufacturers do in compressors). I've had good luck just using second hand pro-audio rack compressors, they're cheap and a compressor isn't something I'd switch on and off - importantly they're full frequency because of being used for audio mixdowns etc. Keep the ratio low not to squish it too much. I don't get/enjoy the sound of a compressor on a guitar unless you're going for some clean ambient poo poo, but they can really help bass pop through the mix.

I have used a 3630 and a boss rcl-10 for this, but ymmv!

Something like this? Would it do anything else for my Bass (usefully, I mean) to justify the cost?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-B...=item27e4d8223e

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Are you in the UK/West Europe? I have a Dod Milk Box I don't use

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Slimchandi posted:

Any recommendation for a simple ABY pedal to switch between two guitars going into a PodXT?

If your on a budget and just using this for bedroom practice you could get a split cable from RadioShack for like $6. Then keep the guitars volume you don't want off. Ghetto but does the trick.

I'll be looking for an ab box soon. I'm probably going to make it myself and incorporate an always on tuner (if I can figure out how)

I can't see spending 50+ considering how simple these are.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
It's very, very simple to make an A/B box if you can solder, and drill an enclosure:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/15-boostersrouters/344-ab-switch-box

That would be ~ $15-$20 in parts, depending on where you get your switches.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Southern Heel posted:

My brother in law gifted me a plain old MXR Dynacomp a month or so ago because I thought I wanted it for guitar. After playing with it for a bit I figured out quickly that I hated it.

For giggles I turned around and put it on my bass. Now on there... there's some interesting sounds. Some very interesting sounds. I kinda dig it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

Are you in the UK/West Europe? I have a Dod Milk Box I don't use

I am in the UK - how much were you looking for it?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Southern Heel posted:

I am in the UK - how much were you looking for it?

Let me dig it out to check the condition, I'll take a picture for you. I know it's boxed, I'm pretty sure it looked like new. My ebay records say I paid ~£45 for it, I would like to cover that if it's cool. I'm in Ireland so I wouldn't expect postage to cost much.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

booshi posted:

It's very, very simple to make an A/B box if you can solder, and drill an enclosure:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/15-boostersrouters/344-ab-switch-box

That would be ~ $15-$20 in parts, depending on where you get your switches.

Thought about this and don't have the requisite tools, and unlikely to be making more boxes in the future, will buy off the shelf.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Slimchandi posted:

I got this because I didn't have time to solder my own.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s=REG&A=details

It's okay, I guess.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Brony Car posted:

I got this because I didn't have time to solder my own.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s=REG&A=details

It's okay, I guess.

saturnworks pedals kinda rule

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Got my MF Drive. Cool. I guess. What am I missing here?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

juche mane posted:

Got my MF Drive. Cool. I guess. What am I missing here?

give it time. took me about a week fiddling with it to finally find my *tone*.

all the knobs and switches do A BUNCH depending on what the other knobs are. With the peak engaged the tone and filter knobs interact in a huge way.

just mess around with it, it is also a bit touchy what goes before it, and reacts a but more differently than most pedals based on the guitar and amp.

it's very temperamental so make sure when you find the knobs where you like them, memorize where they are

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
I'm falling down a fuzzy rabbit hole and I'm starting to drool over this Zvex Fuzz Factory 7
..tho I can imagine there's more options for $450..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SWpIhSijqA

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Panda Time posted:

..tho I can imagine there's more options for $450

Yeah I'd pass. Seems too gimmicky to me with the transistor window and awkward form before function button layout.

The fuzz factory is such a sweet pedal because of how small and simple yet versatile it is.

If you crave options get two fat fuzz factories :) or one and a box of rock. Should be a lot of between the two. Or hell add a graphic fuzz after the FFF.

philkop fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 13, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Panda Time posted:

I'm falling down a fuzzy rabbit hole and I'm starting to drool over this Zvex Fuzz Factory 7
..tho I can imagine there's more options for $450..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SWpIhSijqA

yeah you can get 3-5 very decent fuzzes for 450

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

philkop posted:

Yeah I'd pass. Seems too gimmicky to me with the transistor window and awkward form before function button layout.

The fuzz factory is such a sweet pedal because of how small and simple yet versatile it is.

If you crave options get two fat fuzz factories :) or one and a box of rock. Should be a lot of between the two. Or hell add a graphic fuzz after the FFF.

Graphic fuzz isn't really a fuzz as much as it is a (fairly mild) distortion with an EQ attached to it (which doesn't really make it bad, just different)

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Give Me Cheat Codes on the MF Drive (No Exp Pedal)

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

juche mane posted:

it depends on guitar/amp combo. the settings for my jm sound shot for my sg.

try turning the peak off, that is kind of an easy mode. then the tone turns almost into an eq adjustment and the filter is more of a high end roll off. the out put unity mark is around 10 o'clock as I can see it.

my success has been the gain at around 2, tone around 3-4 and filter maxed. gain up, peak down.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Declan MacManus posted:

Graphic fuzz isn't really a fuzz as much as it is a (fairly mild) distortion with an EQ attached to it (which doesn't really make it bad, just different)

Exactly! ;)

Running it with a regular ff or even fat fuzz factory should give you options similar to the "fat" pot which looks to be the only difference on that 450$ fuzz factory 7. Plus many more tonal options.

It seems like they took the toggles from the fat fuzz and made them knobs.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

juche mane posted:

Never used it. But when I'm really stuck with a pedal I look at some demo vids. Pro guitar shop has some of the best, it's very easy to see the settings in their videos too.

This is a good starting point to then alter the sound to your taste ( or amp/gear's taste)

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Any tips on timing for making loops on a pedal? Just picked up a digitech jamman express and i must be screwing up when i try and end the loop because there is usually a bit of a pause before the loop restarts. I assume it's either the timing when i turn it on, or turn it off that is adding the delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

E-Money posted:

Any tips on timing for making loops on a pedal? Just picked up a digitech jamman express and i must be screwing up when i try and end the loop because there is usually a bit of a pause before the loop restarts. I assume it's either the timing when i turn it on, or turn it off that is adding the delay.

start the loop when you are playing, don't try to time it to start as soon as you start.

if you need to, start with the part you want the loop to end with, if that makes sense.