Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Swordmages can take a feat to MBA with intelligence rather then strength. Bards don't really use MBAs.

EDIT: And most characters, if they truly do care about basic attacks, can take Melee Training to get the same.

Yes, but a class based on being awesome with a sword having to expend a feat to be able to be awesome with a sword is pretty crappy.

THE FEAT TAXES ARE TOO drat HIGH :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Freebase also has the best alignment system ever used in an RPG.

quote:

LG [Liberal Granola]:
Knows that mass social protest is the only way to defeat THE MAN.

LN [Liberal Noncommittal]:
Buys bumper-stickers against THE MAN on occasion, and would like to rise up against his oppressors and end this cruel reign of tyranny, but prefers Dead shows.

LE [Liberal Establishment]:
Sells bumper-sticks against THE MAN and T-shirts for Dead shows; pretending to be part of the movement for social change, yet profiteering off his fellow brothers and sisters, finally becoming part of the System that has forced our children to go to die in 'Nam.

NG [Noncommittal Granola]:
Bought a couple of shirts, thinking this helps, but only practices Iron Butterfly riffs in the garage while the gears of government run by fascist weapon industries crush his remaining freedom.

TN [True Noncommittal]:
Is happy to live in whatever Orwellian hell is presented to him, unknowingly disposing of his own, and hence others, right of choice.

NE [Noncommittal Establishment]:
Buys into the propaganda machine of his mom's Rosie the Riveter days, and does not question the Draft, though it will mean his end.

CG [Conservative Granola]:
Blindly puts faith in other's power to change the world he is increasingly shackled by.

CN [Conservative Noncommittal]:
Voted for Tricky Dick because he liked his speaking voice.

CE [Conservative Establishment]:
THE MAN.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Is there a thread to request PbP games?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

P.d0t posted:

Is there a thread to request PbP games?

I don't think there's a thread for that, so you might want to say what you're interested in.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Well, for example, I looked at this and was just like :wtc:

So basically, a D&D 4e game where I don't have write a goddamn novella for my backstory and/or memorize setting books to 'fit in'. Also, I don't use either character builder, so being able to just do a fillable PDF for character sheets would be nice (got enough books to make most of the characters I'd want to do anyway, I'm not huge into char-op). Hell, an Essentials-only game would probably even be fine. I just hate poo poo where everyone is a zombie robot or it's in an annoying setting; I could probably suffer through Dark Sun, but I'd prefer points of light or a succinctly laid out homebrew setting.

I'm playing in a D&D Next game right now, wouldn't mind jumping in on another one. Although the published adventures I've seen are kinda railroady poo poo, so if someone wanted to homebrew something, that'd probably be better.

Otherwise, maybe AW or DW, although I've never been much into... whatever genre AW falls into. I saw the XCOM-themed AW game posted and I was like "uhhhh I don't play vidya games, so clearly this isn't for me." I probably wouldn't mind a 13th Age game (I just cringe when people get zany with their OUTs and such) but I haven't bought any of the materials since I'm not sold on the game. The amount of 3rd party bloat is already getting out of control, IMHO.

Overall, something I either already have the materials for or where materials are freely available, and would be newbie friendly/learn as you go kinda thing. Either people new to the system, or new to PbP (Next game is my first PbP).

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 6, 2014

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Error 404 posted:

I really need to find a copy of Buttery HoLsomeness. I only have HoL.

I actually tried the character creation in ButtHoL. It was kinda fun, in a "Holy poo poo how many charts?" kind of way.

Also, FREEBASE is even better than people are making it sound.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

FMguru posted:

ButtHoL not only has the greatest character random generation system ever, it also has the greatest set of LARP rules ever published.

My favorite part was the forest with orcs.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Did you guys hear the news? Mikan's doing a Pathfinder adventure path/setting/player options book, Across the Unforgiving Sea!

Also going to be available for 13th Age.

I'm sort of surprised in that he never struck me as much of a 3rd Edition fan, but he has a clear head on his shoulders when it comes to addressing the common flaws of D&D, so I have faith he'll do something cool with this.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah no one who works with Mikan knows why.

Why anything.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Libertad! posted:

Did you guys hear the news? Mikan's doing a Pathfinder adventure path/setting/player options book, Across the Unforgiving Sea!

I'm sort of surprised in that he never struck me as much of a 3rd Edition fan, but he has a clear head on his shoulders when it comes to addressing the common flaws of D&D, so I have faith he'll do something cool with this.

It was pretty much on a dare, but Mikan is determined to do a bang-up job on this. I'm pretty excited about the promised exploration themes. I've tried my hand at running a sort of "new world" exploration game in Pathfinder before and I think I stand to get a lot from Mikan's work here.

I've come to enjoy Pathfinder in spite of all its flaws, so having someone who actually knows a thing or two ABOUT designing games work on something for it is very exciting.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Rulebook Heavily posted:

:10bux:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Libertad! posted:

Someone dared him on Twitter. It's been kind of funny reading him talk about how designing for a system he doesn't like is good practice.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Why anything.

Peer pressure

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That is one of the great forces in Mikan's life, yes.

In other news,

I wrote a book, it is now in print.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
What the ever living gently caress? :gonk:

SKR leaves Paizo, and now he's sounding all reasonable-like.

http://seankreynolds.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/ex-su-and-martial-characters/

Money quote:

quote:

By getting rid of the idea that you have to define special abilities as either “magic” or “not magic,” you also get rid of the idea that “martial characters don’t have magic, and therefore can’t do amazing things because they’re limited to what nonmagical people can do in the real world.

In other words, if you decide that a level 5 fighter with a shield can deflect a spell back on the caster if he succeeds at his saving throw, that would be okay, for the same reason, because you don’t have to decide “is this something a real, exceptional person could do in the real world?” If you decide that a level 10 fighter is so eager for battle that he can jump 30 feet and still make a full attack, that would be okay, for the same reason. If you decide a level 15 fighter is such a badass combatant that all allies within 30 feet of him deal +25% melee and ranged damage, that would be okay, for the same reason. It wouldn’t matter that the fighter is a “mundane” character who “doesn’t have any magic;” he could still do incredible things that bend Earth’s laws of reality or are even impossible according to Earth’s physics.

All you have to do is decide that the difference between Ex and Su is “long ago, GMs had to use AMF to fudge the game so wizards wouldn’t dominate adventures, and ever since then nonmagical characters have been paying the price for it, and it’s time for that to stop.”

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Except Monks, gently caress those guys."

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So, something 4e already did? :v:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

What the ever living gently caress? :gonk:

SKR leaves Paizo, and now he's sounding all reasonable-like.

http://seankreynolds.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/ex-su-and-martial-characters/

Money quote:

Awesome, why didn't you do any of this while you were the head designer for one of the top three RPGs selling today?

(SKR gets hired by another company, releases Pathfinder 2.0 - Seriously Don't Play Anything That Can't Cast Spells)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So why's he leaving Paizo, anyways?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
IIRC it was basically just "I've been working here long enough and living in the city sucks, I think I'd rather go hang out with my family and friends. PS gently caress monks".

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Otherwise, maybe AW or DW, although I've never been much into... whatever genre AW falls into. I saw the XCOM-themed AW game posted and I was like "uhhhh I don't play vidya games, so clearly this isn't for me." I probably wouldn't mind a 13th Age game (I just cringe when people get zany with their OUTs and such) but I haven't bought any of the materials since I'm not sold on the game. The amount of 3rd party bloat is already getting out of control, IMHO.

Overall, something I either already have the materials for or where materials are freely available, and would be newbie friendly/learn as you go kinda thing. Either people new to the system, or new to PbP (Next game is my first PbP).

Dog, you should've applied to the X-COM game.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Yalborap posted:

Dog, you should've applied to the X-COM game.

Bro, I didn't know what the gently caress anyone was talking about in that recruit. I have never played X-COM, nor AW.
And honestly, I started reading the playbooks and I got gunshy because HOLY gently caress I haven't played Fallout either.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
AW has exceptionally little to do with Fallout though?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Mr. Maltose posted:

AW has exceptionally little to do with Fallout though?

Yeah. In particular, AW's more about community building (not always but often, especially if you have a Hocus or Hardholder), inter-person tensions, and psychic weirdness than the wandering murderhobo style of Fallout. It definitely isn't a Fallout adaptation. And you pretty much need zero exposure to the post-apocalyptic genre other than knowing that stuff's scarce and the world's broken.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
AW is explicitly both narratively and mechanically structured around a TV series format where the protagonists share a few locations and not much else. It's also explicitly about community and the effects that post-apocalyptic scarcity has on that, even if you somehow manage to avoid taking any of the community-oriented playbooks.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
P.d0t, if I ran a (short, so that the game doesn't die a death) as-close-to-generic-D&D as possible Dungeon World PBP does that seem like the sort of thing you would be interested in? Probably some sort of large, relatively freeform dungeon crawl. Likely using the rewrites of the core classes plus a few of the more D&D ones like the monk, rather than the more out-there ones like the Lantern etc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doodmons posted:

P.d0t, if I ran a (short, so that the game doesn't die a death) as-close-to-generic-D&D as possible Dungeon World PBP does that seem like the sort of thing you would be interested in? Probably some sort of large, relatively freeform dungeon crawl. Likely using the rewrites of the core classes plus a few of the more D&D ones like the monk, rather than the more out-there ones like the Lantern etc.

Oh god, don't encourage him.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Has anyone ever played the Judge Dread mini's game? I see it had a kickstarter a couple years back and I always see boxes for it at my FLGS but know nothing about it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

SquadronROE posted:

Has anyone ever played the Judge Dread mini's game? I see it had a kickstarter a couple years back and I always see boxes for it at my FLGS but know nothing about it.

I've never played but it's by mongoose publishing and I'm pretty sure the rules can be found on their site for free.

The justice department is the equivalent of the space marines in that they are much tougher and more expensive than the other armies. They have a special rule that allows them to 'arrest' enemies that fail a morale check. The other armies are all street gangs or block gangs and such. (Other than the justice department the other all 'hero' force is the Angel gang.)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I've read on the Mikan thing and I'm really appalled on his behavior. If there is something that this stupid dying industry who will not survive for the next 10 years needs, is artistic integrity from people who work on it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Aren't you still banned from chat threads?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I've read on the Mikan thing and I'm really appalled on his behavior. If there is something that this stupid dying industry who will not survive for the next 10 years needs, is artistic integrity from people who work on it.
Are you talking about Mikan running Pathfinder at a convention?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

So you're mad there might be a pathfinder splat worth using?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I doubt Plutonis has gotten mad at anything on the Internet at any time.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I just love that a dude who absconded from the forums in the most patronizing fashion because we aren't progressive enough is now doing a Pathfinder book.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

I doubt Plutonis has gotten mad at anything on the Internet at any time.

It's only words, on an electronic screen. There is no need to be upset by those.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gau posted:

I just love that a dude who absconded from the forums in the most patronizing fashion because we aren't progressive enough is now doing a Pathfinder book.

Mikan left in part because people wouldn't stop making GBS threads on you, but okay.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gau posted:

I just love that you keep posting in this forum like we don't all know you're a literal thief but for some reason you gotta slam on one of the few people who actually wanted people to stop making GBS threads on you.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Gau has a self destructive personality, i just pity him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I just love that you keep posting in this forum like we don't all know you're a literal thief but for some reason you gotta slam on one of the few people who actually wanted people to stop making GBS threads on you.

I just love all the dirt I'd have on you if remembering things about other posters wasn't in extremely bad taste and criminal.

Well, you know, the GOON MONEY well has run dry, so now it's time to get some of those sweet Paizobucks.

• Locked thread