Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

JamieTheD posted:

This image, courtesy of Alkydere, gives you some idea.

I would like to point out that heavy lasers are loving inaccurate as poo poo. Stabilized platform on top of an armored car with a loving laser beam over 10-15 yards? about a 1 in 3 chance to hit the tile you're aiming for. You notice the pink tile in all that scorched mess? That was the lizard-man the Hunter was aiming for. You'll notice that the roast lizard remains are 2 tiles away from the actual epicenter of the blast. Seriously, use the Hunter's Pulse Laser responsibly, and carefully. :gibs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wait, the Hunter laser has an AoE blast? Interesting; I usually run with rockets since a trooper usually maxes out his weight allowance out with a launcher and reloads, but it'll be nice to have a car be capable of heavy direct damage and cover clearing at the same time.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone have any suggestions for what i should research in the early game?

Also what buildings should i build at the start?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for what i should research in the early game?

Hunter Scout Car. Look at the screenshot above. That's what happens when it hits lasers.
Rush to lasers ASAP, you get them through Plasma rifles. If you don't like that your units die really easily, go Plasma Pistols, for the first armour tech.

Building wise, I always start by building a Garage, Medbay, 2nd Living Quarters, and 2nd Lab.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

JamieTheD posted:

Hunter Scout Car. Look at the screenshot above. That's what happens when it hits lasers.
Rush to lasers ASAP, you get them through Plasma rifles. If you don't like that your units die really easily, go Plasma Pistols, for the first armour tech.

Building wise, I always start by building a Garage, Medbay, 2nd Living Quarters, and 2nd Lab.

Actually, from what I understand, laser tech unlocks when you research your second alien weapon tech. First alien weapon tech gives you Jackal armor which lets your guys take a hit (maybe).

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Super dumb question: how do I heal a dude in combat? I've got one guy with a medic bag, another dude about to bleed to death.

fake edit: dammit, game is crashy on my work machine. I'll have to wait until I get home.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Super dumb question: how do I heal a dude in combat? I've got one guy with a medic bag, another dude about to bleed to death.

fake edit: dammit, game is crashy on my work machine. I'll have to wait until I get home.

Go into dude with medbag's inventory, put the medbag in his weapon slot, then "attack" the injured soldier with the medbag.

Also, I finally lost a Hunter. The sucker carried me through a terror mission reducing aliens (and the suburban housing around them) to messy gibs until it flubbed a shot and hit a picket fence at point-blank range.

Edit: Oh, good, the alien commanders you need to capture can be found on UFOs as well! I was worried they only came on terror missions since that's where I first saw one/got the notification. They're so much easier to capture inside downed UFOs.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 6, 2014

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Funnypost Collabo posted:

It's a little bit of both, because of the way that Stun Grenades work (at least the way I think they work): There's an initial amount of stun damage done when the grenade explodes, but the gas it leaves behind requires a unit to basically roll against being incapacitated when moving through the gas.
Mh, yeah, you're right. It would probably be better if the initial stun damage stayed, but the leftover gas would only do further stun damage if a unit ends their turn in it, or something like that.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Perhaps my memory is just failing me because I never remembered this happening in the original XCom, but I was rage-quittingly surprised when the aliens actually did do this once - open the UFO door from the inside, shoot my shotgunner in the face, and then slink back inside.
Yeah, sometimes there's this one Sebillian who storms out when I'm still in the process of moving the troops up to the UFO. But personally I've never had them do it once I already have everyone lined up at the door.

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait, the Hunter laser has an AoE blast? Interesting; I usually run with rockets since a trooper usually maxes out his weight allowance out with a launcher and reloads, but it'll be nice to have a car be capable of heavy direct damage and cover clearing at the same time.
It sure does! The pulse laser is, for all intents and purposes, a goddamn cannon.

UberJumper posted:

- Two additional radars. More than that is a waste because you start with one and the radius caps at three. The upkeep is a bit salty, but the detection radius boost is quite significant and if it lets you clear just a couple more UFOs per month it will have paid itself pack. (EDIT: Or maybe not: see quoted patch notes below)
- Another living quarters, because you'll want to hire some reserve soldiers and more scientists and engineers.
- A med bay so your wounded will heal faster.
- Might as well put down some more hangars too since their upkeep is cheap and you'll want Foxtrots pretty soon.

EDIT:
The devs sure don't gently caress around with patches. The game's only been finished for a week, and they've already made three patches (and a hotfix for one of them). 1.03 is still on the experimental branch, but it looks interesting, as it also contains some gameplay balance changes in addition to bugfixes. Check this poo poo out:

quote:

• Building bases now costs $500k instead of $1m, and base maintenance reduced by $75k per month
  • Radar Arrays now cost $250k instead of $100k, and their maintenance is increased by $25k each
  • :siren: Terror mission UFOs will spawn every 14 days instead of every 25 days, as they were too rare before. :getin:

Rest of the notes here.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 6, 2014

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Is there a penalty for letting shot-down UFOs sit on the ground for too long? I tried building a second base, but it crashed the game when I tried to equip the soldiers I sent there, so I'm thinking of maybe having one base that actually has soldiers and serve all the other continents with bases made entirely of interceptors and radar. Obviously this would mean significant travel times and prioritisation from the base containing drop ships.

Also, am I being incredibly dense, or is there not a way to assign a specific number to a member of a fire team? It's a lot easier on my brain to have health bars organised in decending usefulness.

Game's brilliant though. I never played X-COM much apart from the demo of the 3rd one back in the day, and I've always found JAII too ugly to play. I love the art style and setting of Xenonauts so it's a nice surprise to find the gameplay really engaging.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Boogoose posted:

Is there a penalty for letting shot-down UFOs sit on the ground for too long? I tried building a second base, but it crashed the game when I tried to equip the soldiers I sent there, so I'm thinking of maybe having one base that actually has soldiers and serve all the other continents with bases made entirely of interceptors and radar. Obviously this would mean significant travel times and prioritisation from the base containing drop ships.

Also, am I being incredibly dense, or is there not a way to assign a specific number to a member of a fire team? It's a lot easier on my brain to have health bars organised in decending usefulness.

Game's brilliant though. I never played X-COM much apart from the demo of the 3rd one back in the day, and I've always found JAII too ugly to play. I love the art style and setting of Xenonauts so it's a nice surprise to find the gameplay really engaging.

Feel free to leave other bases without any soldiers to guard them. Nothing will happen. Ever. And when that nothing happens post to tell us about it :D

The penalty is lost materials and cash from taking the ufo. If you dont think you can take it, or dont feel like taking it, click on the ufo crash site and airstrike it. You get lower than if you had taken the UFO, but you do get some cash reward for it. Nation Standing goes up for every UFO downed, not every one raided.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 6, 2014

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Boogoose posted:

I don't think there's a penalty as long as you clear it eventually. If you can't get a team there in time, you can always use the airstrike option. You'll get less money than clearing it yourself, but it's more than nothing and I'm pretty sure you get the relations boost too. EDIT: okay scratch that bit I guess.

As for the soldier equip screen crash, they've apparently closing in on fixing it; see the patch notes for 1.03.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
You can build second bases? :psyduck:

How?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

UberJumper posted:

You can build second bases? :psyduck:

How?
"Build New Base", top of the screen, other side of "Launch Interceptors".

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

winterwerefox posted:

Feel free to leave other bases without any soldiers to guard them. Nothing will happen. Ever. And when that nothing happens post to tell us about it :D

The penalty is lost materials and cash from taking the ufo. If you dont think you can take it, or dont feel like taking it, click on the ufo crash site and airstrike it. You get lower than if you had taken the UFO, but you do get some cash reward for it. Nation Standing goes up for every UFO downed, not every one raided.

I haven't actually run the game long enough for the UFOs to start attacking me directly, but are there not missile batteries for base defence?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boogoose posted:

I haven't actually run the game long enough for the UFOs to start attacking me directly, but are there not missile batteries for base defence?

Generally in xcom-likes I believe those have a chance of working but aren't completely foolproof.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah. Pretty sure you need quite a few of them to completely destroy an attacking UFO. Their main purpose is to inflict some casualties before ground combat begins so your defending troops will have fewer aliens to deal with.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Boogoose posted:

Missile<laser<plasma<mag batteries get one shot each at a landing UFO, with a miss chance. I think the damage is about equal to 2 of your torpedoes carried by your Foxtrots. Damage done to a attacking UFO causes casualties to it just like you shot it down with a fighter, damage done with a fighter before it lands also count toward casualties. An untouched landing craft is exactly the same craft they use in terror missions. In your base. I forget if they changed it, but base layout used to matter, with aliens only invading from garages and hangers.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Edit: You never get your own psionics. It's something that humans cannot do and one of the biggest weaknesses of your soldiers. The joys of your heavy power armor with a plasma caster getting mind controlled and blowing away the soldier that was covering his flank against a Reaper never gets old.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 7, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Man, your troops are such HORRIBLE shots in this game. Of course, it's entirely acceptable since the alien are also piss-poor shots as well. You don't have the XCOM issue of having 4-6 lousy shots against 10-20 crack-shot aliens (THINMEN! :argh:).

Also, please tell me you get some sort of psi-powers of your own. I keep having the greys use their "ping a guy and make him freak out" ability that's so loving annoying due to wasting turns or attacking allies.

winterwerefox posted:

Edit: You never get your own psionics. It's something that humans cannot do and one of the biggest weaknesses of your soldiers. The joys of your heavy power armor with a plasma caster getting mind controlled and blowing away the soldier that was covering his flank against a Reaper never gets old.

What, really? That kinda sucks. Not even a way to line the inside of your helmets with tin foil? Or a jammer the size of a refrigerator in your dropship that at least gives you a psi-free zone around your base? Honestly I don't mind having no offensive psi-abilities and having them be alien only, but a lack of defenses is really annoying.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 7, 2014

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Alkydere posted:

Man, your troops are such HORRIBLE shots in this game. Of course, it's entirely acceptable since the alien are also piss-poor shots as well. You don't have the XCOM issue of having 4-6 lousy shots against 10-20 crack-shot aliens (THINMEN! :argh:).

Also, please tell me you get some sort of psi-powers of your own. I keep having the greys use their "ping a guy and make him freak out" ability that's so loving annoying due to wasting turns or attacking allies.

What, really? That kinda sucks. Not even a way to line the inside of your helmets with tin foil? Or a jammer the size of a refrigerator in your dropship that at least gives you a psi-free zone around your base? Honestly I don't mind having no offensive psi-abilities and having them be alien only, but a lack of defenses is really annoying.

Are you right clicking to upgrade your shots from Snap to Normal to Aimed (or whatever the terminology is)? I thought my troops were cackhanded idiots until I realised I was defaulting to a snap shot each time. Even at very low levels, using the precision rifle the maximum TU intensive shot was basically a sure hit.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Boogoose posted:

Are you right clicking to upgrade your shots from Snap to Normal to Aimed (or whatever the terminology is)? I thought my troops were cackhanded idiots until I realised I was defaulting to a snap shot each time. Even at very low levels, using the precision rifle the maximum TU intensive shot was basically a sure hit.

Oh, I'm making normal or aimed shots when I can (sometimes downgrading so I can get two shots in depending on TUs and accuracy). And when my riflemen are close I'm taking burst shots to make them mediocre assaults. They still can't hit worth poo poo and it's glorious because the AI's aim is just as bad if not worse. It's great seeing the AI hit and kill its own troops now and then.

It wasn't really a complaint, more of me commenting on something I noticed. As said, poo poo aim is fine as long as the enemy has equally poo poo aim.

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
How different is the gameplay in this compared to the original XCOM? I mean, it's obviously very similar, but is this game much more than a UI & graphics improvement? I'll probably buy it anyway, I'm just trying to get a sense of what to expect.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Is there a good guide anywhere for getting started? There's no tutorial, and I went to read the manual and it's a "placeholder document" which uh, kinda sucks for a release version of a game on steam.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ahahahahah, I'm not envying my B-team. Eight complete rookies in all starter gear. Their first mission is a corvette UFO at night. I haven't even gotten to the UFO itself yet and I've already lost half the squad.
Man, this game rules.

Ineffable posted:

How different is the gameplay in this compared to the original XCOM? I mean, it's obviously very similar, but is this game much more than a UI & graphics improvement? I'll probably buy it anyway, I'm just trying to get a sense of what to expect.
I think it's different enough. The combat mechanics are pretty clever and there's less fiddly micromanagement on the strategic side. The air combat is more involved, since the UFOs come in waves and later on the waves get so big you kinda have to prioritize targets, because you can't possibly shoot everything down.

Dilber posted:

Is there a good guide anywhere for getting started? There's no tutorial, and I went to read the manual and it's a "placeholder document" which uh, kinda sucks for a release version of a game on steam.
Did you look at the quickstart guide? The button is in the launcher, next to the game manual button. It explains the basics pretty nicely I think, if you're at all familiar with games like this.
Also the devs are working on the manual and it should be done by the time the game is officially released, I believe.

I meant to put some sort of starter guide thing in the second post today, but my day was much busier than expected and I also have aliens to shoot. I'll do it tomorrow.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ineffable posted:

How different is the gameplay in this compared to the original XCOM?
The main differences are:

- Basic weapons are all free and you don't have to gently caress about buying clips, grenades, etc. (they also replenish between missions, even in flight). You can save loadouts.
- UFOs can and will shoot down your Not-Skyranger. You're looking at about 75% crew loss on land if that happens.
- Plane losses are recovered in about 6 or 7 days, including post-salvage repair (note that way more happens in 6-7 days than in UFO: Enemy Unknown, so this is quite a big deal), and you can either manually control plane combat or autoresolve it.
- Side doors on the Not-Skyranger, a bit like the Lightning. Also, you can sort out where people stand inside it before missions.
- No random maps (boo). Lots of extra maps available on their site, though.
- Vehicles are completely savage, instead of a liability.
- UFO shoot-downs are your secondary income source, after funding. You can choose to not do UFO missions but still get some funding by calling in an instant generic "airstrike". You'll lose out on Alloys, Not-Elerium, sold weapon cash, and potential captured aliens if you do this, though.
- As a result of that, progression is way more start-of-the-month related in terms of base construction. That's set to change a little in the next patch, probably.
- You can't make more Alloys, and so far, at least, everything sells for less than the manufacturing price (I'm about 2 months into my second game, the first was a write-off by the midpoint of the second month).

Mostly, though, it feels somewhere betweeen UFO and XCOM: Apocalypse. You can make it TFTD hard, if you like (not my scene, might be yours), or Veteran (read: normal XCOM difficulty), Medium (easy), or Easy (presumably very easy).

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 7, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

jBrereton posted:

- Side doors on the Not-Skyranger, a bit like the Lightning. Also, you can sort out where people stand inside it before missions.

Wait, how the gently caress do you do that? Right now my pocket tank always starts in the back, I'd love to have it roll out first.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Haha. Man, assaulting ufos is so much better with a pulse laser tank! :shepface:

Blow the doors and...

BOOM! BOOM! DIE! DIE! DIE!!!! :dance:

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
Okay, thanks guys. Those all sound like pretty nice changes - like I said, I would've been happy with just a UI improvement, but this is even better.

Time to play more (not-)XCOM! :toot:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Wait, how the gently caress do you do that? Right now my pocket tank always starts in the back, I'd love to have it roll out first.
Go to the craft loadout screen. It's finicky as gently caress with a full plane, so unassign all your human troops, drag the vehicle to the front, and reassign them to it.

e: also agreed with everyone on the laser tank. It's the most :whatup: thing to splash open UFO doors with.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Go to the craft loadout screen. It's finicky as gently caress with a full plane, so unassign all your human troops, drag the vehicle to the front, and reassign them to it.

e: also agreed with everyone on the laser tank. It's the most :whatup: thing to splash open UFO doors with.

Ah, thank you. That's gonna make the first turn that much better.

And yeah, once you get over the surprise that the laser canon is some hilarious explosive canon of doom it's amazing. The best thing is following the breach up with a bunch of riot cops.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So can anyone explain to me why the giant green spool in this picture, doesn't count for blocking shots? (The next turn the alien shot me right through it).

A few other things in the environment do not seem to block anything, like a concrete pipe, etc.

I am also finding combat against aliens who are extremely elevated to be really annoying, trying to find a place to get a shot on someone is a monumental pain in the rear end. Even weirder is sometimes apparently enemies who are on a higher plane of elevation can shoot at your units but if your troops cannot shoot them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

You know what sucks? This guy has been my shield guy almost his entire career (His first one or two missions might have been as a generic rifleman, I wasn't paying attention). Ever since he's been a shield, he's beaten at least one alien senseless. Sometimes 3 or 4. The problem?

Despite the fact that the Xenonauts apparently burn the bodies after the fight (minus those kept for autopsies or interrogation), beat downs don't count as kill. Which means I don't get the "kill 5 aliens" medal for him unless he manages to nail somebody with his pistol. This man has been the vanguard on nearly 10 alien ship assaults and he hasn't earned a single medal despite his sheer balls.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I don't know if it accounts for everything, but standing units can fire over immediately adjacent cover without being blocked. So a unit up high could fire over the wall around the edge of a roof / out a window without you being able to fire back.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Playing this for the first time in about 2 years, and while I like most of the improvements, I have never ever liked the art design for the soldiers in the equip screen. I know it's a shallow complaint, but there's just something completely off about them. I think giving them blue outfits was a mistake - they look more like workmen than soldiers. Jackal armour doesn't look too bad, though.

Are there any good mods to improve the basic appearance?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Alkydere posted:

You know what sucks? This guy has been my shield guy almost his entire career (His first one or two missions might have been as a generic rifleman, I wasn't paying attention). Ever since he's been a shield, he's beaten at least one alien senseless. Sometimes 3 or 4. The problem?

Despite the fact that the Xenonauts apparently burn the bodies after the fight (minus those kept for autopsies or interrogation), beat downs don't count as kill. Which means I don't get the "kill 5 aliens" medal for him unless he manages to nail somebody with his pistol. This man has been the vanguard on nearly 10 alien ship assaults and he hasn't earned a single medal despite his sheer balls.

Try mentioning it to the devs on Steam. It sounds like the kind of thing that should be accounted for.

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

Playing this for the first time in about 2 years, and while I like most of the improvements, I have never ever liked the art design for the soldiers in the equip screen. I know it's a shallow complaint, but there's just something completely off about them. I think giving them blue outfits was a mistake - they look more like workmen than soldiers. Jackal armour doesn't look too bad, though.

Are there any good mods to improve the basic appearance?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3640312&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post430614380

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah I meant to say, aside from that one . . . :cripes:

edit: from the list, this one looks like it might be decent: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/6662-Jsleezy-s-Real-Armors

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 7, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

edit: from the list, this one looks like it might be decent: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/6662-Jsleezy-s-Real-Armors

They're all PNG files in the assets directory of the game, so, as far as I can tell, you can literally just photoshop them.

EDIT: Actually, that means it's got a lot of potential for Goon Silliness, which gives my black, shrivelled LPer heart the warm fuzzies.

EDIT 2: AGH, THE MSOFFICE TAGS ON THE XML... :argh: ... But it's pretty drat moddable.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 7, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Still learning how to properly balance my books in this. I think I bought a few too many interceptors (mainly the heavier Foxtrots) in month 2. A pair of light interceptors seems to be able to take down anything at that point.

Also, failing to suck up and cover to either the USSR or US did wonderful things to my bottom line.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

I spot a Starship Troopers Helmet on that Jackal armor. Hmm, maybe changing that SWAT Blue to grey or tan would do wonders for the "military" feel?

The default armor looks sorta like a Italian/Luftwaffe field uniform + some dinky Japanese AA helmet.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So does this mean you can easily mod it in so that the heaviest armour is a frilly pink tutu or something as silly? A literal BDU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Still learning how to properly balance my books in this. I think I bought a few too many interceptors (mainly the heavier Foxtrots) in month 2. A pair of light interceptors seems to be able to take down anything at that point.

Also, failing to suck up and cover to either the USSR or US did wonderful things to my bottom line.

I've bought a single foxtrot the instant it became available and it turned out to be a pretty good deal. I've had a number of medium-sized scouts even in month one, and those can kill your normal interceptors pretty easily while foxtrots eat them for breakfast.

• Locked thread