Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Actually, has Roy Dotrice done "Sunset found her squatting in the grass" yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I was pretty surprised that both Grenn and Pyp were killed off in the battle on the show. Weren't they pretty important in Jon getting elected Lord Commander?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

MarksMan posted:

Which book would the current episodes fall under?

Also, I'm not reading anything else in this thread except the reply, because I already caught an f'ing spoiler

King's Landing, the Wall, Arya & the Hound: Book 3
Brienne & Pod: Book 4
Bran, Danaerys, Theon: Book 5
Sansa: basically beyond

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Sansa is pretty much in book 4, or at least there's book 4 stuff that needs to be introduced. The heir dude, killing robin, etc, unless they're just going to have her marry robin.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Blind Sally posted:

I can't find it in the OP. It should really be in the OP. Laptop broke and I lost my data. Was hoping someone could link me to the Roy Dotrice reading of the Sam and Gilly scene. I need to link it to my friends my friend some guy I know.

I have it! I think.

http://tindeck.com/listen/utrz

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

kaworu posted:

Stuff like that just doesn't bother me, is the funny thing. Whereas stuff that really bothers me is when I feel they mis-characterize or miscast someone. Like for instance, I've felt like they cast the wrong actor for Jon Snow from the very first episode, and that has screwed with me headcanon for more than anything comparable to portrayals of minor aspects of the world like giants, even if the logistics make no sense.

Because the truth is, I don't much care about realism or logistics or whether it "makes sense" that Castle Black has fortifications in the south. Compared to the dialogue sequences, the acting, the visual flair and art direction, I really don't much care. I do agree that visually the giants would have looked cooler if they were more like overgrown hirsute ape-like humans, but at the same time I don't think they did a bad job.

Making them ape-like could have caused them to look unintentionally silly or funny, too, which might have had the consequence of undercutting the tension in the badass moment in the ice-tunnel with Grenn and his pals shouting their vows - one of the best moments of the episode. I'm just glad that the giant looked suitably imposing and terrifying in that moment, and it did.

But just to get back to my original point, I honestly think that things like finding the pitch-perfect Tyrion Lannister in Peter Dinklage (and having it work out so well) does more for the realism, accuracy, and quality of the show than hundreds of production details that are mismatched to the book or unrealistic. Because when you get an actor like that who can really tap into a character and literally embody them rather than just act as them, that's special. Maybe it's not Kit Harrington's fault that he sucks as Jon Snow and it's because the character is just poorly written, but I think Harrington and Dinklage are a good contrast.

Thing is, Tyrion is NOT pitch perfect. Show Tyrion is WAY more charismatic than book Tyrion. Book Tyrion is ugly, unlikeable and downright loathsome despite having a bit of a conscience unlike many of the other sociopaths in his family. Peter Dinklage's Tyrion is quite the opposite. He's good looking, charismatic, and his scar has made him more badass looking if anything.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Jeffrey posted:

Sansa is pretty much in book 4, or at least there's book 4 stuff that needs to be introduced. The heir dude, killing robin, etc, unless they're just going to have her marry robin.

They skipped a ton of Sansa stuff, which is surprising since there really isn't much left for her to do. Maybe one or two more scenes and then they're past what GRRM has already published.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 9, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gianthogweed posted:

They skipped a ton of Sansa stuff, which is surprising since there really isn't much left for her to do. Maybe one or two more scenes and then they're past what GRRM has already published.

She didn't have that many chapters in feast, if I'm remembering right. There was definitely more lords declarant stuff though, so it seems like they've bypassed a bunch of that.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

She didn't have that many chapters in feast, if I'm remembering right. There was definitely more lords declarant stuff though, so it seems like they've bypassed a bunch of that.

There was the whole section where they visit the Fingers, which they skipped, and the trial of Marillion, who was completely cut out of this season. The Eyrie seemed completely devoid of people, which felt quite earie. Not sure if they skipped 90% of Brienne's chapters in FFC or if they just haven't gotten to them yet. Either way next season will be interesting.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
They also skipped about fifty thousand pages of "walking to the top of the Eyrie", which I'm glad they did really. Not sure why they skipped the trip to the Fingers though, as that explained some of Littlefinger's backstory and motivations. Maybe they'll just work that into dialogue at some point instead.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Apoffys posted:

They also skipped about fifty thousand pages of "walking to the top of the Eyrie", which I'm glad they did really. Not sure why they skipped the trip to the Fingers though, as that explained some of Littlefinger's backstory and motivations. Maybe they'll just work that into dialogue at some point instead.

Most likely. Otherwise it would have been an entirely new set piece for a bit that could be done through exposition. Either that or they're just going to skip it and ignore baelish's motivations entirely.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Gianthogweed posted:

There was the whole section where they visit the Fingers, which they skipped, and the trial of Marillion, who was completely cut out of this season. The Eyrie seemed completely devoid of people, which felt quite earie. Not sure if they skipped 90% of Brienne's chapters in FFC or if they just haven't gotten to them yet. Either way next season will be interesting.

Brienne will probably find stoneheart in the last episode. That's my guess anyway.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They also skipped the whole subplot with the singer accused of killing Lysa Arryn.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
They could transplant some Kettleblacks. Have two around the Eyrie, watching Littlefinger's back and one traipses off to King's Landing to Cersei it up.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

The 'Osmund, Lancel, and Moonboy for all I know' is going to lose a lot of it's heft since 2/3rds aren't even in the show and the remainder hasn't been mentioned in like 3 years.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Orson, for all I know kuuh kuuh kuhhhhh :getin:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jeffrey posted:

Heir dude: Might be cut. Revealing Sansa's identity was part of that and that has already happened. And yeah, they might just have her marry Robin.
Killing Robin: Hasn't happened in the books yet. Just some build-up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lycus posted:

Heir dude: Might be cut. Revealing Sansa's identity was part of that and that has already happened. And yeah, they might just have her marry Robin.
Killing Robin: hasn't happened in the books yet.

I just mean discussing the plan to kill him, or really any sort of plan at all. A clean show watcher would have no clue that's on the table.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

TK-42-1 posted:

The 'Osmund, Lancel, and Moonboy for all I know' is going to lose a lot of it's heft since 2/3rds aren't even in the show and the remainder hasn't been mentioned in like 3 years.

"Mace Tyrell, Lancel and the Mountain for all I know"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

rejutka posted:

"Mace Tyrell, Lancel and the Mountain for all I know"

she's loving lancel, and, hmmm, well that guy lancel. nasty, huh?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

I just mean discussing the plan to kill him, or really any sort of plan at all. A clean show watcher would have no clue that's on the table.
That won't take long. As far as Sansa's larger character development, she's beyond published material.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

she's loving lancel, and, hmmm, well that guy lancel. nasty, huh?

'She's loving Lancel Lannister, former squire and cupbearer for King Robert, Jeoffery's father, but not really, who is also our cousin and had a role in bringing wine to Robert that resulted in his death a few years back.'

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

she hosed lancel, and....king robert, and that lady with the swamp

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Aurain posted:

Actually, has Roy Dotrice done "Sunset found her squatting in the grass" yet?

Like this you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

There once was a girl from highgarden,
whose butt was continually fartin,
she put a cork in her rear end
to stop up the gas
but she swole up like george rr martin

standing ovation

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

whowhatwhere posted:

I assume this is some sort of Mafia game where we're supposed to ferret out the traitor among us before we're all probated for shitposting.

Alternately it's just A_H's alt getting revenge on all the people who slighted him.

Some mod told that Mafia (or some other forum's game) players actually stalk each other on different threads to report them on not using shift key and punctuation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

syscall girl posted:

There once was a girl from highgarden,
whose butt was continually fartin,
she put a cork in her rear end
to stop up the gas
but she swole up like george rr martin

Somehow I missed this section of posts, this owns.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

Some mod told that Mafia (or some other forum's game) players actually stalk each other on different threads to report them on not using shift key and punctuation.

I remember that. Some people are really petty and vindictive about that not-game.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Apparently Stannis's army is starving at the end of dance. Why? The North would be teeming with game with such a low population, especially now that they have access to the haunted forest.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

They are pretty much frozen over about 3 days from Winterfell and have already fished the lake dry.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So this last page has just made me realise I remember gently caress all about Sansa's plot post ASOS, so I will need to re-read Feast before Winds comes out.

The good news is that I will never need to re-read Feast.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Baron Porkface posted:

Apparently Stannis's army is starving at the end of dance. Why? The North would be teeming with game with such a low population, especially now that they have access to the haunted forest.

Animals aren't very active in the winter, they'd have already hunted their immediate surroundings clean in the time they've been sitting there.

I mean poo poo, they fished out the lake didn't they?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Apoffys posted:

They could shoehorn it in as part of Robin's trip throughout the Vale. I have a feeling next season might ignore some characters and focus on others though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I think they've worked enough of Littlefinger's motivations into past dialogues.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baron Porkface posted:

Because the climactic and environmental systems of Westeros serve no master save narrative.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

PittTheElder posted:

Because the climactic and environmental systems of Westeros serve no master save narrative.

Winter is meant to be beginning at the start of the series, allegedly with 100ft snowfalls on the way. In fact they spend the whole first book/series or so making such a huge loving deal out of it. Not sure what the timescale is meant to be from AGOT to the last book but the fact that this never actually happens always annoyed me.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Captain Mediocre posted:

Winter is meant to be beginning at the start of the series, allegedly with 100ft snowfalls on the way. In fact they spend the whole first book/series or so making such a huge loving deal out of it. Not sure what the timescale is meant to be from AGOT to the last book but the fact that this never actually happens always annoyed me.

Autumn begins at the start of ACOK. Winter begins at the end of ADWD. Only three years have passed since the beginning of the series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron Porkface posted:

Because they're approaching Winterfell which has a magical blizzard that's destroying everything.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Haven't the wolves and especially Nymeria been killing everything with a pulse too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Is it even feasible to feed an army of thousands on the move just by hunting animals? Unless you're marching through a giant cattle farm, I wouldn't think there'd be sufficient animal density to support that many people. Then again, I know jack poo poo about hunting or feeding armies.