Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Ah that makes sense, thanks for that, it'll save me some bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I have what I am assuming is a simple issue with a simple fix.
I installed an ssd in my optical bay on my Windows laptop. I cloned my drive to the ssd and currently have both drives in the laptop. I moved the ssd up before the original drive in bios, but it still boots to the original drive. If I remove the original drive the ssd boots up. How do I get the ssd to be the boot drive. FWIW the laptop is a Thinkpad T430.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

oneof27 posted:

I have what I am assuming is a simple issue with a simple fix.
I installed an ssd in my optical bay on my Windows laptop. I cloned my drive to the ssd and currently have both drives in the laptop. I moved the ssd up before the original drive in bios, but it still boots to the original drive. If I remove the original drive the ssd boots up. How do I get the ssd to be the boot drive. FWIW the laptop is a Thinkpad T430.

Hit F12 when you boot and see if you can choose the new drive and boot off it.

What did you clone the drive with?

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm
That's the program I used. EaseUS Todo Backup.
Maybe I am dense, but beyond setting the boot order for the drives in bios I can't find a way to select the drive.
I will try F12 like you suggested now.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Manually boot from the SSD once using the boot menu. It's sometimes F10, or F9, or F1, or Esc depending on what he programmer liked most while he wrote the BIOS. Once you are started into the new Windows you can then use "msconfig" to delete the boot sector from the old partition. msconfig will only allow you to delete a boot sector from the drive you're not currently booting from so there's no risk.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Yep! Thanks. That did the trick. I knew it was something very simple I didn't know. I knew the speed would be faster, but I am still in awe.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So it was booting from the SSD but since the MBR was copied from the HDD it was hard pointing to the HDD?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
By the way if you haven't upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 yet, do that, the speed will be even higher.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

peak debt posted:

By the way if you haven't upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 yet, do that, the speed will be even higher.

Most of the improvements only exist in the minds of the MS marketing department - I can't say I've seen anything noticeable (aside from boot in some circumstances) and it certainly isn't enough to be worth putting up with the other annoyances.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

dissss posted:

Most of the improvements only exist in the minds of the MS marketing department - I can't say I've seen anything noticeable (aside from boot in some circumstances) and it certainly isn't enough to be worth putting up with the other annoyances.

That being said will there be any noticable performance difference for NVMe drives comparing Windows 7 and 8(.1)? Also are NVMe PCIe device bootable?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Aquila posted:

That being said will there be any noticable performance difference for NVMe drives comparing Windows 7 and 8(.1)? Also are NVMe PCIe device bootable?
There's no TRIM support under Windows 7 for PCIe-attached devices. Drives should be bootable in either OS if your motherboard and UEFI firmware suppport it. So Windows 8.1 is basically required for modern systems due to the fact that MS never backported these technologies to the Windows 7 kernel.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Is this a normal thing to see in HD Tune for an SSD or is something not quite right?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Is this a normal thing to see in HD Tune for an SSD or is something not quite right?

That seems about right for a Samsung 830. Do confirm that it has the latest firmware, isn't too full, and that TRIM is enabled. Running a TRIM pass with the Samsung SSD Magician software wouldn't be a bad idea either. Is there a reason you think there's a problem?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Alereon posted:

That seems about right for a Samsung 830. Do confirm that it has the latest firmware, isn't too full, and that TRIM is enabled. Running a TRIM pass with the Samsung SSD Magician software wouldn't be a bad idea either. Is there a reason you think there's a problem?

Because I'm getting occasional microsecond hitches in games when reading from disk that I never used to get, and I'm going through an incredibly painful process of trying to pin down what's causing it. This just looked a bit weird to me (the variation at the beginning was even worse before I did a TRIM pass with Magician) so I wanted to check if it was normal or not. It's on the latest firmware, has 80GB free and TRIM is enabled.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Is PNY Optima 240GB better than Crucial 256GB MX100?

Both of those go for the same price (99.90euro) and I'm looking for the cheapest possible 7mm drive to replace a broken harddrive, durability > speed.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

makere posted:

Is PNY Optima 240GB better than Crucial 256GB MX100?

Both of those go for the same price (99.90euro) and I'm looking for the cheapest possible 7mm drive to replace a broken harddrive, durability > speed.
Neither are good drives, I'd strongly recommend you pick something that isn't known for severe reliability issues. If there's a store you're looking at post a link and we can provide some guidance.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

Shaocaholica posted:

So it was booting from the SSD but since the MBR was copied from the HDD it was hard pointing to the HDD?

I'm not sure. I had gone into bios and set the SSD higher, but that didn't set it as THE boot drive. Not until I went into F12 as was suggested and selected it. My novice level skills failed me at the last step. Now It's all good though!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any reason installing an SSD (Samsung 840 Evo) would mess up installing programs? I walked my brother through installing an SSD on his system (X4 3.2ghz 4gigs of ram) and the two programs he uses the most, Steam & Skype, are both having problems. Skype can't connect to the download server for some reason and Steam just sets every game download at pending. I'll post in the Haughs of Tech Support if this isn't a simple fix, but it was just weird that he immediately had problems when we installed on the SSD.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 8, 2014

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there any reason installing an SSD (Samsung 840 Evo) would mess up installing programs? I walked my brother through installing an SSD on his system (X4 3.2ghz 4gigs of ram) and the two programs he uses the most, Steam & Skype, are both having problems. Skype can't connect to the download server for some reason and Steam just sets every game download at pending. I'll post in the Haughs of Tech Support if this isn't a simple fix, but it was just weird that he immediately had problems when we installed on the SSD.

Installing an SSD shouldn't cause programs to have issues unless the SSD is faulty somehow. I'd definitely do a Haus post.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
18 months ago I bought a new laptop, it came with a HDD so I added an mSata drive. mSata drives were aplenty & reasonably prices and the whole process was super simple and the results were excellent.

A colleague is looking for a new laptop and would like to go the same route so has asked me for advice on the matter. I've not really paid much attention since the research I did for myself 18 months a go, but all I expected were for mSata drives to be a bit cheaper/faster/more space.
But is seems that
1) mSata slots in laptops are not nearly as common as I'd imagined
2) Newer (but certainly not a majority) laptops are opting for NGFF/M.2 (?) slots instead.
3) NGFF/M.2 drive are not readily avaiable (or are they under /another/ name?)
4) mSata drives do not fit in these newer slots

I guess my question is, will there be more availability of these types of drives in the next couple of months, or is this all bleading edge and not what I should be recommending right now? - in which case I need to get over to the Laptop thread to try and narrow down which upper mid range laptops can take a mSata.

e: vvv I should have mentioned being in the UK. Though if you have a couple on sale then we shouldn't be that far behind I suppose.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 9, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Interesting that the only M2 drive on NewEgg is the Intel 530

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Bob Morales posted:

Interesting that the only M2 drive on NewEgg is the Intel 530
There's a couple Crucial drives and some no-name ones as well. Still no PCI-e M.2 drives.

Amazon has this but it's expensive and the longer form factor that won't fit in a lot of machines.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
There's always these:

DDR3 + M.2. I'm sure this will catch on.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Amazon has this but it's expensive and the longer form factor that won't fit in a lot of machines.
These are also OEM-only drives and are not supported by the Samsung software, won't get firmware updates, and may or may not be warranteed through Samsung.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Anandtech gave a pretty glowing review of the Crucial MX100 drives. Are they still not recommended? I ask because Amazon has the 256GB for $99 and 512GB for $199 which seems like a pretty good deal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

teagone posted:

Anandtech gave a pretty glowing review of the Crucial MX100 drives. Are they still not recommended? I ask because Amazon has the 256GB for $99 and 512GB for $199 which seems like a pretty good deal.
The hold on recommendations has little to do with their performance (which is about all Anandtech was reviewing) and more to do with the fact that Crucial has had a bad track-record with reliability. A drive that shits itself at 5,000 hours isn't going to have a problem passing some stress-tests and benchmarking well, but isn't exactly something that we'd want to recommend you purchase, you know? So until a bit of time goes by and more "early adopters" have a chance to find out if the MX100 follows closely in the long line of firmware-based fuckups from Crucial, it's hard to recommend without reservation.

On the other hand, if you're willing to take that risk, well, the price:performance:space ratio on them is really very good (as long as you stay away from the 128GB version).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DrDork posted:

The hold on recommendations has little to do with their performance (which is about all Anandtech was reviewing) and more to do with the fact that Crucial has had a bad track-record with reliability. A drive that shits itself at 5,000 hours isn't going to have a problem passing some stress-tests and benchmarking well, but isn't exactly something that we'd want to recommend you purchase, you know? So until a bit of time goes by and more "early adopters" have a chance to find out if the MX100 follows closely in the long line of firmware-based fuckups from Crucial, it's hard to recommend without reservation.

On the other hand, if you're willing to take that risk, well, the price:performance:space ratio on them is really very good (as long as you stay away from the 128GB version).

Thanks for the advice. I might pull the trigger on the 512GB MX100 because my 250GB Samsung EVO is filling up fast thanks to Steam in-home streaming making me want to stockpile games to serve client PCs around the house. Does it make any difference in recommendation if the Crucial drive is only going to be used as a destination to install games?

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 10, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

teagone posted:

Thanks for the advice. I might pull the trigger on the 512GB MX100 because my 250GB Samsung EVO is filling up fast thanks to Steam in-home streaming making me want to stockpile games to serve client PCs around the house. Does it make any difference in recommendation if the Crucial drive is only going to be used as a destination to install games?
It certainly makes it less of a hassle to deal with if it craps out on you.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Anandtech has posted part 2 of their Intel SSD DC P3700 NVMe SSD review, this part focusing on client workloads.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

DrDork posted:

Speaking of 5k, was there ever a postmortem on what the gently caress that bug was? It's not a power-of-two overflow that I can see unless they were counting time in 4.2 millisecond increments or something equally "creative". So some kind of periodic sanity check that went horribly wrong because it was never tested?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Harik posted:

Speaking of 5k, was there ever a postmortem on what the gently caress that bug was? It's not a power-of-two overflow that I can see unless they were counting time in 4.2 millisecond increments or something equally "creative". So some kind of periodic sanity check that went horribly wrong because it was never tested?
It was actually 5184, which is sort of a notable binary number but still doesn't explain why it happened exactly then.

Edit: 5184 in Hex is the number of minutes in a day in Decimal. Coincidence? I think not!

Tunga fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 10, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Harik posted:

Most likely, but who knows? Crucial's never going to say in public.

It doesn't have to be a power of 2 overflow, but it could be anyways because the counter could be operating off any random reference frequency rather than a nice round 1s interval or whatever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DrDork posted:

the long line of firmware-based fuckups from Crucial, it's hard to recommend without reservation.

Did they gently caress up other drives like the C300 or just the M4? I know the V4 was a colossal fuckup but we'll forget that ever happened.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The C300 had a variety of small issues and some big ones. Not like, varying severity. As in, some affected a lot of people for a long time, and some affected only a few people for a long time. These were problems that led to a lot of instability, mostly in the form of random multiple-of-60-second pauses during which the system couldn't perform any disk access (and when the SSD is a system disk, that means no paging, so even your web browser will eventually grind to a halt). They took like six months to acknowledge the problem in the first place, pushed out some fixes that only fixed most of the problems over the next year, then hosed off and stopped supporting the drive once the M4 came out.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 10, 2014

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Help, Im getting write errors on my new drive!

I tried all day to get my OS moved onto my new 840 Evo drive and I think I got a lemon. My OS is on a 300 gig drive. I resized it way down below my new 250gig Evo.

I tried cloning it with EaseUS. I tried the reflect softwear in the OP.

Every single one failed when imaging the new drive (both while window is booted and in a recovery environment). Every single time it was a "write error."

AHCI is enabled, trim is enabled, my OS drive has no bad sectors, (it was checked by windows), the OS drive has been fragmented.

edit: windows checked the ssd, no problems found

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 11, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Dimes to dollars it's a bum drive. Most hard drive and SSD diagnostics are pretty bad at actually detecting failures. Before you return/RMA the drive, though, try using a different SATA cable - the one you're using now might be too noisy to function at full speed while passing rinky-dink tests just fine.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

Dimes to dollars it's a bum drive. Most hard drive and SSD diagnostics are pretty bad at actually detecting failures. Before you return/RMA the drive, though, try using a different SATA cable - the one you're using now might be too noisy to function at full speed while passing rinky-dink tests just fine.

Trying new cable right now. I was assuming cables would either completely work or not.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

It worked!

I had to try 2 more cables.

The third cable was one already being used so I knew it was reliable.

Time to toss some cables.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Am I correct in assuming that the PNY XLR8 Pro works like the Intel 530, where it works well without TRIM or any of that stuff?

I'm trying to think of a good SSD to toss in a PS4, and at the 480 GB level, the PNY is $100 less than the Intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Am I correct in assuming that the PNY XLR8 Pro works like the Intel 530, where it works well without TRIM or any of that stuff?

I'm trying to think of a good SSD to toss in a PS4, and at the 480 GB level, the PNY is $100 less than the Intel.
Yes, though if possible shrink the partition to 400GB or so, I'm not sure how partitioning works on the PS4.

• Locked thread