Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
This feels more Xenosaga than Xenoblade. Red flags all over the place.

Not really digging it at all :(

Edit: The facial models also have this weird unsettling plastic doll look that Xenoblade didn't have. Like they've literally just tried to copy anime art into a videogame wholesale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Edit: The facial models also have this weird unsettling plastic doll look that Xenoblade didn't have. Like they've literally just tried to copy anime art into a videogame wholesale.

So, like Xenosaga 2, Xenoblade 2 seeks to gently caress over the franchise?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Love the Monado hair-clip. Though egads her face.

At first I didn't realize the X in the logo was meant to be separate so I was confuse thinking it was just titled Xenoblade Chronicles again.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I personally am rather digging what we have seen of it so far, and am very much looking forward to it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The facial models are kinda gross yeah. It's a shame because aside from some skeevy 'fanservice' Xenoblade had a pretty expressive and sharp art style, really not liking this return to uncanny valley waifus.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I'm mostly digging it but....

I really hope the character models are improved before released because the plastic heads remind me more of lovely Oblivion mods than Xenoblade.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm still optimistic. As long as it's the same people working on it who did Xenoblade the story should be not terrible. I mean... there's no reason that they'd suddenly go back to the terrible storytelling of the older games, just because they're in space now, right?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The facial models are kinda gross yeah. It's a shame because aside from some skeevy 'fanservice' Xenoblade had a pretty expressive and sharp art style, really not liking this return to uncanny valley waifus.

Basically if I didn't already know this game was connected to Xenoblade, I would just dismiss it out of hand for being the kind of generic space JRPG garbage that makes my eyes glaze over. From the awful dialogue to the soulless uncanny valley character models, this trailer made me 180 from "want this game pretty bad" to "not sure if want at all"

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Basically if I didn't already know this game was connected to Xenoblade, I would just dismiss it out of hand for being the kind of generic space JRPG garbage that makes my eyes glaze over. From the awful dialogue to the soulless uncanny valley character models, this trailer made me 180 from "want this game pretty bad" to "not sure if want at all"

Basically if I hadn't heard all the good reviews on it, I would have just dismissed the original Xenoblade out of hand for being the kind of generic fantasy JRPG garbage that makes my eyes glaze over.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Khisanth Magus posted:

Basically if I hadn't heard all the good reviews on it, I would have just dismissed the original Xenoblade out of hand for being the kind of generic fantasy JRPG garbage that makes my eyes glaze over.

Pretty much. The excellent localization helped a lot too.

Looks like there might be some more stuff at E3 later at 2PM PST: http://www.gamespot.com/e3/live/

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The faces remind me of Xenosaga. Instantly less interested now. That style is just that unappealing to me.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I hope the sequel make a lot of the systems less self-enforcing.

Specifically, I really dislike how affinity between characters is on a reinforcing loop. Affinity improves your performance in combat, which means you want those characters who have high affinity with each other in your party. So upping character affinity between characters without strong connections means (slightly) hamstringing your own party, or grinding.

Also, the load time on menus, and it would be nice to have some quicker organization options in a lot of inventory stuff.

Lastly, I wish I could explore quest hubs faster.

Other than that, I have very few complaints with Xenoblade, it's pretty cool.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Idioteque Dance posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles X!

Wait, how did I miss Xenoblade Chronicles II through IX? Or were they locked up in the interests of world security like Leonard parts one through five?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

MH Knights posted:

Wait, how did I miss Xenoblade Chronicles II through IX? Or were they locked up in the interests of world security like Leonard parts one through five?

Wait, is it 1994 and Megaman X just came out, because this seems familiar.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My only gameplay complaints would be the pointlessly grindy MMO-elements and the constantly wandering NPCs, if they can fix those two things and don't go off the deep end in some new way I'll be pretty happy with the game, aforementioned anime aside.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I wasn't bothered by the anime faces apart from that girl with the monado hairclip. Xenoblade could have easily been uncanny valley anime dolls, but because they handled the character movements and camera so well it never came close to devolving to that :gonk:, like most other JRPGs do.

I'm more interested in where the story is going. It looks like they're pining for a human/humanoid conflict thing, which could easily be boring trash if it's done like every other JRPG, or could be enjoyable if it's done in a stupid complicated way like it was in Xenogears with the focus of just taking your party on a big dumb adventure. I guess we'll see.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
From the press kit:

X Marks the Spot

The next massive sci-fi role-playing game from Monolith Soft, the
creators of Baten Kaitos and Xenoblade Chronicles, comes
exclusively to Wii U. A terrible intergalactic war leaves just a handful
of Earth survivors trying to live in a beautiful yet hostile environment.
Players engage in battles against powerful creatures of all forms
and sizes using the deep battle system that builds on the triumphs
of Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii.

FEATURES:

• Riding and controlling a weaponized mech, players can explore
every inch of the massive open world displayed in gorgeous
high-definition graphics. The world is filled with strange and
imaginative creatures, from small bugs to giant dinosaurs.

• As characters improve in different classes, they will learn new
combat and defensive skills, or Arts. Players can customize the
Arts palette as their characters learn new Arts. All Arts have a
“recast” time – once cast, the player must wait out a “cooldown”
period before that Art can be used again.

• Players can customize everything about the main character’s
appearance, including gender, shapes, height, skin color, voice
and tattoos.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Those are some really cool additions, though no set Protag is a huge change. Doesn't say you can customize your race though, so maybe no option to play as a Nopon?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've never been a big fan of blank slate protagonists. This just means that everyone else will talk around your creepy, unexpressive mute while other characters carry the story. In those situations, the main character is anything but. Shulk wasn't exactly the most interesting character (he was probably the second least interesting in the party, after Sharla), but that he had a personality and motivations at all was still a step up from a blank slate.

I guess they could do it mass effect style, but how likely is that for a jrpg?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Xenoblade was the perfect blend of over-the-top pseudo-anime cutscenes without it being purely anime coupled with a solid script that didn't make the characters insufferable by having them actually make rational choices. Throw in british accents and tight dialogue and Xenoblade felt like a huge step forward over the Xenosaga era.

This, though? Anime as gently caress, Xenosaga as gently caress, not Xenoblade as gently caress.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Serious Frolicking posted:

I've never been a big fan of blank slate protagonists. This just means that everyone else will talk around your creepy, unexpressive mute while other characters carry the story. In those situations, the main character is anything but. Shulk wasn't exactly the most interesting character (he was probably the second least interesting in the party, after Sharla), but that he had a personality and motivations at all was still a step up from a blank slate.

I guess they could do it mass effect style, but how likely is that for a jrpg?
Fire Emblem: Awakening had a similar character creator by the sound of it (if somewhat slightly less full-featured) but still did a decent job of making the Avatar a character unto themselves, so it's not wholly without hope, I guess.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Louisgod posted:

Xenoblade was the perfect blend of over-the-top pseudo-anime cutscenes without it being purely anime coupled with a solid script that didn't make the characters insufferable by having them actually make rational choices. Throw in british accents and tight dialogue and Xenoblade felt like a huge step forward over the Xenosaga era.

This, though? Anime as gently caress, Xenosaga as gently caress, not Xenoblade as gently caress.

You might wanna reserve judgement until you've seen more of the game.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Yeah, it is just not the same without the British accents.

By the way there might be some more footage on the Nintendo Treehouse a minute later.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The character and monster designs from the earlier trailers looked really solid; think back to the high-five mechbay trailer, for example. It'll take more than just one or two NPC animes to ruin that. I really hope there's a UK VA track option though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

They're showing it off right now on the Nintendo stream: http://e3.nintendo.com/treehouse/

If you had told me this game was a new PSO game I would have completely believed it.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 10, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'Just gonna pick up some items on the field, if you played Xenoblade Chronicles you'd recognise those as quest based items'

Fossil Monkey!! :argh:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Everything which isn't peoples faces looks loving fantastic though

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I think the faces look fine myself, but they are pretty different from Xenoblade. Game looks crazy good, music is awesome from what I can hear too. Those environments and enemy designs look great.

Changes to the battle system look good too, locational damage on enemies, melee and ranged auto attacks. This game is looking like they mashed up Xenoblade with PSO:2.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
In-game faces don't look too bad imo.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It's not exactly what I expected from a Xenoblade sequel but it's definitely the game that will make me buy a Wii-U. Looks really good.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
This stream is rather amusing.

"I'm going to make a huge mistake."
"What level are you?"
"I'm, umm."
"Not enough, you are level not enough"
*shoots huge rear end dinosaur anyways*

e: :stare: a dinosaur that the player is as tall as its toenail. Now that is scale.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 10, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The stream is really reassuring because this is Xenoblade all over. It's exactly what I want to see.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dunban posted:

Sure. But the point of promotionals is to sell people on the game. The story trailer was pretty dire poo poo, if that unsold some people on the game that's not really anyone's fault but Monolith's. :shrug:

I enjoyed Xenoblade in part because it saved the really stupid anime poo poo for the last 20% of the game, so it was tolerable. The rest of the game, you had a really solid script and a fairly grounded cast. This...well yeah like Louis said, Xenosaga as gently caress. It burns hsssss.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Regy Rusty posted:

The stream is really reassuring because this is Xenoblade all over. It's exactly what I want to see.

Yeah, same here.
Woo, we're bout to get into Space USA.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
The characters' faces remind me of muppets. Not like Kermit, but like those ones in that freaky rear end Dark Crystal movie from the 1980s.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Dunban posted:

Well considering I've been watching the Treehouse preview the game is anime as hell and harks back to the Xenosaga series, which is anime incarnate. Looks like it blends the best of Xenoblade so far though and I'll reserve judgement but drat did I not like the Xenosaga games. Music is fantastic, gameplay is solid, art direction is incredible.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I think my favorite thing about the SA forums is how "anime as hell" is perhaps the worst insult you can give to a game, in particular a game from Japan. And how seeing a few minute story trailer and a stream that showed 90% gameplay is enough to condemn a game that isn't even due out for a while into "anime as hell"ness and all the horrors that entails.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Silent protagonist doesn't bode well for the game's story. I'll remain hopeful though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anime is cool. Make it as anime as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah that looked really fantastic from what they showed, but the characters, voice acting, and (most of) the story was really what made Xenoblade a stand out. And that's stuff that they've barely shown off at all, plus the main character appears to be a voiceless MMO protagonist, which is making me nervous. Guess we'll see how it turns out.

They're showing basically the same thing again on the Gamespot stream if anyone missed it: http://www.gamespot.com/e3/gamespot-stage-1-2014/

• Locked thread