Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Obviously the Giants will take Dan Uggla. And then he will turn it around and hit 40 home runs. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

peepoogenderparts posted:

Obviously the Giants will take Dan Uggla. And then he will turn it around and hit 40 home runs. :(
We'll bring him back to Miami for $5.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Crion posted:

Between Cespedes and Puig we're getting an absolute clinic this year on why arm is a separate tool not lumped in with the rest of a player's defensive package. Good god these "great plays"

If you took an infielder with a great arm for an infielder and moved him to the outfield, would the tool translate to being a great outfield arm or is outfield a completely different level of "great arm"?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is Cespedes a lovely outfielder or not? Both of the highlights I've seen show a ridiculous arm that he wouldn't have needed to use had he not flubbed the ball in the first place.

Reminds me of watching Rick Ankiel in the outfield.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
From what I've seen he's fairly limited in most aspects of the outfield. It just so happens that he's used his one superb defensive tool to good effect on 2 consecutive nights - no-one is making gifs of the times he's misplayed a ball and allowed a runner to score or take an extra base.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

tadashi posted:

If you took an infielder with a great arm for an infielder and moved him to the outfield, would the tool translate to being a great outfield arm or is outfield a completely different level of "great arm"?

Arm is arm, that's why all the fat 3B prospects get moved to RF instead of LF

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

tadashi posted:

Infield and outfield "arms" are of different qualities. An infield arm needs to be strong and accurate over about 100-150 feet, with the quicker release the better. It also needs to be accompanied by a quick mind, to read the situation and throw to the right base on the fly.

An outfield arm needs to make strong throws with a crow's hop usually over 200 feet. Accuracy and release time are less importance on a hit to the outfield, as the target is usually the cut-off man who can move around.

In basic terms: strong, inaccurate arm = outfield; quick, accurate arm = infield.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
My years coaching have taught me that you can move a third baseman to the outfield a lot more readily than you can move an outfielder to the hot corner.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crion posted:

Between Cespedes and Puig we're getting an absolute clinic this year on why arm is a separate tool not lumped in with the rest of a player's defensive package. Good god these "great plays"

Pretty sure the point is to get outs, nerd. Can't do that cleanly fielding a grounder in the outfield.

FairGame posted:

Is Cespedes a lovely outfielder or not? Both of the highlights I've seen show a ridiculous arm that he wouldn't have needed to use had he not flubbed the ball in the first place.

These have both involved him misplaying the ball (although really this most recent one was more than it took a weird bounce off the wall), but he is generally a pretty good outfielder. He can take goofy routes but he's a freak athlete and that usually makes up for it. He would probably be playing center on a lot of teams.

Derek Agony posted:

From what I've seen he's fairly limited in most aspects of the outfield. It just so happens that he's used his one superb defensive tool to good effect on 2 consecutive nights - no-one is making gifs of the times he's misplayed a ball and allowed a runner to score or take an extra base.

He's really fast too.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Dr. Tommy John posted:

My years coaching have taught me that you can move a third baseman to the outfield a lot more readily than you can move an outfielder to the hot corner.

I moved from outfield to 3b pretty easily but I was a 2b/ss growing up, so I dunno. You do have to have pretty good reaction time for 3b obviously, and a death wish.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Pussy Boss posted:

Rosenthal says the Giants may try to trade for a second baseman. Brandon Hicks was looking like a nice find off the scrap heap for a minute, but lately he's turned back into the guy he was in the minors: hits a dinger occasionally but not much else, and he strikes out a ton. Are there any decent 2B who might be available at the deadline? Cause I think the Giants should upgrade if they can.

We have a Rickie Weeks available...

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

The Pussy Boss posted:

Rosenthal says the Giants may try to trade for a second baseman. Brandon Hicks was looking like a nice find off the scrap heap for a minute, but lately he's turned back into the guy he was in the minors: hits a dinger occasionally but not much else, and he strikes out a ton. Are there any decent 2B who might be available at the deadline? Cause I think the Giants should upgrade if they can.

Gordon Beckham.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Cubs have a 2nd baseman available

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bonifacio is exactly the type of guy the Giants would pick up and win a World Series with, and him being playoff/WS MVP somehow.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bonifaciowns. He also gets tootblanned a ton.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Combo posted:

I moved from outfield to 3b pretty easily but I was a 2b/ss growing up, so I dunno. You do have to have pretty good reaction time for 3b obviously, and a death wish.

And a good cup.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

If Pujols had actually gotten low and slid into third rather than just awkwardly falling over toward the end of the basepath, he very well might have been safe. Also it is hilarious watching him run.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Mariners are actually still in the wild card hunt, despite recently and regularly featuring a lineup that has Endy Chavez, Cole Gillespie and Willie Bloomquist. Oh, now LoMo too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Midniter posted:

If Pujols had actually gotten low and slid into third rather than just awkwardly falling over toward the end of the basepath, he very well might have been safe. Also it is hilarious watching him run.

It also required Donaldson making a pretty athletic play to tag him, but shush and just enjoy the rocket arm, you killjoy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

seiferguy posted:

The Mariners are actually still in the wild card hunt, despite recently and regularly featuring a lineup that has Endy Chavez, Cole Gillespie and Willie Bloomquist. Oh, now LoMo too.

Does LoMo still have an 80 Twitter tool?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Aren't like 25 teams still in the wild card hunt? We're 65 games in.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Where In The World Is Carlos Marmol?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24585530/carlos-marmol-left-reds-triple-a-affiliate-without-permission

quote:

The Reds made a transaction Wednesday involving embattled reliever Carlos Marmol, and it was placing him on the restricted list due to his leaving the Triple-A affiliate (Louisville Bats) without permision (via Jamie Ramsey).

In three appearances with Louisville, Marmol posted a 7.36 ERA and 2.18 WHIP. Unsurprisingly, he managed six strikeouts and six walks in 3 2/3 innings of work.

Tuesday night, Marmol took the loss after allowing a walk-off sac fly. In 2/3 of an inning, he allowed two walks (one intentional) and uncorked two wild pitches.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Great thing about Marmol, I saw him pitch against the Iron Pigs on the 5th - he (unsurprisingly) struck out four, but gave up a pinch-hit dinger to Greg Smith. Who is an org-filler starting pitcher.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

[X] Strikeout
[X] Walk
[X] Home Run
[X] Wild Pitch

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Seattle called up "1B Jesus Montero".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

Given how Dozier has taken off the Twins would probably be willing to trade Eddie Rosario now :v:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Reminder that Austin Kearns was placed on the bereavement last May by the Marlins and then wasn't heard from again until it was announced he'd become a free agent after the season. He wasn't playing very well but it just seems weird to have a player fall off the map like that.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

uggy posted:

Aren't like 25 teams still in the wild card hunt? We're 65 games in.

Everyone in the AL is within 5 games of the Wild Card, minus Tampa Bay who are 10 back.

The Cubs are the worst in the NL at 7 back. So yea, everyone is "in the hunt" basically.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

MourningView posted:

It also required Donaldson making a pretty athletic play to tag him, but shush and just enjoy the rocket arm, you killjoy.

Oh I enjoyed the hell out of the throw. I am already a Lifetime Yoenis Cespedes SuperFan™.

This may be largely in part due to the Cespedes Family Barbecue article on Chris Resop, but the why of it doesn't really matter.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

leokitty posted:

Seattle called up "1B Jesus Montero".

:stare:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If you don't follow minor league baseball but want to know who that Gallo guy is that depressed Rangers fans can't shut up about, Grantland's got you:

http://grantland.com/features/joey-gallo-texas-rangers-fascinating-prospect/

e: Here is a cool graph from it:

For reference, Miguel Cabrera led MLB last year with 84.9

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 12, 2014

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Gillaspie's rocking a 136 wRC+ with 0 homers so far.

Batted ball luck and line drives out the rear end are both good things.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's no gameday thread, but did Greinke leave early because he's hurt or because the NL hates fun?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I think the safe assumption, given this season as a whole, is injury. Specifically torn UCL.

We'll find out soon enough for sure, I guess.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Greinke pitched 6 innings, I wouldn't exactly call that leaving early, regardless of his pitch count. Probably Don Mattingly felt like playing some matchups.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

Greinke pitched 6 innings, I wouldn't exactly call that leaving early, regardless of his pitch count. Probably Don Mattingly felt like playing some matchups.

I wasn't watching the game but considering he only allowed five baserunners in those six innings and the only runs were off a dinger, yes that is leaving early :colbert:

I'll just assume it's the latter plus Mattingly being an idiot.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Ruben Amaro was in the Phils TV booth today and they were talking about how Rollins was going to tie Mike Schmidt in hits. Ruben noted that Rollins was doing this in about 1,000 less plate appearances, and then said, on live TV, that their batting averages were about the same, which was weird, and he didn't quite understand that.

Ruben Amaro doesn't know the difference between plate appearances and at bats.

edit:

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 12, 2014

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I think SVS pinch hit for Greinke in an important situation in a low scoring game to try to get any loving runs at all and promptly struck out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

stuart scott irl posted:

Ruben Amaro was in the Phils TV booth today and they were talking about how Rollins was going to tie Mike Schmidt in hits. Ruben noted that Rollins was doing this in about 1,000 less plate appearances, and then said, on live TV, that their batting averages were about the same, which was weird, and he didn't quite understand that.

Ruben Amaro doesn't know the difference between plate appearances and at bats.

edit:

Ruben Amaro is a national treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Colby Rasmus is joining Buffalo for rehab, and to make room for him the Jays pawned off Matt Tuiasosopo on the White Sox.

• Locked thread