Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Why would you want to acquire a taste for something that is not immediately appealing? I'm not going to sit around eating olives until I like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenotrope
Apr 20, 2011

Somethingdumb posted:

Why would you want to acquire a taste for something that is not immediately appealing? I'm not going to sit around eating olives until I like them.

If you don't learn to like olives, you'll never appreciate a good martini.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In theory, acquiring a taste for something you don't like will, in the end, cause you to like it. If it's something you want to like but currently don't, you can in theory bring yourself around to liking it by brute-forcing it. In theory.

In reality, that only really works for things like video games; 'acquired taste' is basically just "you'll learn to ignore that this tastes like poo poo to you" when it comes to food.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Yeah, that's kind of my point. Acquiring a taste is different than realizing your tastes have changed. If I try shrimp when I'm 7 and hate it, then try it again when I'm 10 and love it (a real thing that happened), that's different than drinking coffee every morning and forgetting that I hate the taste (a thing that did not happen).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Somethingdumb posted:

Yeah, that's kind of my point. Acquiring a taste is different than realizing your tastes have changed. If I try shrimp when I'm 7 and hate it, then try it again when I'm 10 and love it (a real thing that happened), that's different than drinking coffee every morning and forgetting that I hate the taste (a thing that did not happen).

Yeah but whiskey feels good when you drink it. A fine Scotch is like drinking liquid velvet mixed with fire and it's delightful.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Both of the things you just used to describe whiskey are inedible, and one of those things is incredibly dangerous.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just like the best whiskey.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've never really understood people comparing alcohol to velvet as a metaphor. Velvet is soft, but hard liquor is not soft, hard liquor is the opposite of soft.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Somethingdumb posted:

I hated the taste of coffee for years until I brute forced it. Now I drink it black and enjoy it over most other drinks. Being able to identify and enjoy a quality cup of coffee makes for a very enjoyable tasting experience.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010
From admittedly limited experience, I think "developing a taste" for alcoholic beverages is just your brain associating the good feeling of being drunk with the taste of the drink. Of course, that assumes you had good experiences while drunk.

A lot of taste preference has to do with what you grow up eating, so it actually does make sense that you can grow to like something.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that Dylan Moran put it best when he was describing types of wine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSMs77v2oNk

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Vateke posted:

From admittedly limited experience, I think "developing a taste" for alcoholic beverages is just your brain associating the good feeling of being drunk with the taste of the drink. Of course, that assumes you had good experiences while drunk.

A lot of taste preference has to do with what you grow up eating, so it actually does make sense that you can grow to like something.

Never been drunk very often, though my grandma did rub whiskey on my gums when I was a kid.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I refuse to acquire a taste for anything, and thus live entirely on chicken nuggets.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 23: Electrifying Finish
This may be the end of the game, but come back tomorrow to listen to our wrap-up podcast with Kamoc!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I guess it's a little late now, but there's a trick to dodge the fire. It always goes down the half circle in the arena until it's close to Heather, then it travels in a straight line towards her, following the tracks on the floor. Just wait outside the circle till it's close, then sidestep.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Haha Kyle, Heather Morris is the person who voice acted Heather, you read those credits backwards.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I refuse to acquire a taste for anything, and thus live entirely on chicken nuggets.

Ronnie?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
When Kyle started the Extra New Game, Keith sounded like he fell into a minor panic.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Keith really couldn't handle any more of this game at all, which is a shame because SH3 has some really great funny crazy newgame+ poo poo in it. Not that Kyle would have any of it unlocked, but still.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The infinite uzi was literally directly behind you when you went out the bathroom window, sitting on a box next to the truck that blocks that end of the alley. The beam saber is like not even five minutes away from where you stopped, as the handle of a door that you have to go through for plot reasons. :allears:

Also, the higher your previous playthrough's star rank is, the longer the beam on the beam saber gets.

It gets pretty ridiculous.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 12, 2014

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That loving boss looked so godamn boring. It was like some lovely WoW raid boss but you're by yourself.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
SH3 in my opinion is the weakest of the first four (I still like it), but the extra endings are drat good, on par with SH2. I didn't have problems exactly with the tone, but I do agree the whole story is weaker for focusing on the Silent Hill cult (its a story that doesn't need to be told). As a game I think it worked out fine, the only puzzle my friends and I had trouble with was using the pendant on the final boss.

You guys shouldn't worry so much about dead air in a game. We aren't all drooling morons who get confused and frustrated when we don't hear your voices. Subtitled Let's Plays exist, and hell, Long Plays - devoid of commentary - are a thing too.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 12, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I really like Vincent's character. I like that he's not...well, in any sense--even Douglas is more seemingly sane and he's a battered old drunk--but he's a character with very questionable morals and completely unknowable intentions and motives, and he's sort of loving with you for a lot of the game, but he's kind of the voice of reason for the whole plot--he's the only one, as K&K point out, who questions all the loving insanity with more than just "what? What is this? Gotta solve key puzzles now".

Also did you guys just say that you found Silent Hill TWO the most compelling of the trio because isn't that the exact opposite of everything you've said about SH2?

EDIT: I'm sort of posting this as I'm watching. In the final scene where Claudia goes through the floor--she doesn't fall, she's PULLED down--by that weird figure who drags you off when you die, Vatiel. Vatiel is never named in the game, he never speaks. He is visible in every Otherworld sequence, and stalks you throughout the game. The art book identifies him as an Angel, a servant of the god and a figure in the cult's mythology, whose purpose is to basically facilitate the god birthing process (although, he is not necessarily aligned with Claudia. All supernatural elements don't really seem concerned with any humans besides Heather, even if you consider the monsters to actually be people.)

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 12, 2014

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

The last hit being with the tazer was very appropriate. I think I used the maul since it does such ridiculous damage. And yeah, Vincent was amazing in this game. Made the whole game better from his existence.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hah, the costume code menu. Otherwise known as the glorified advertisement for gaming magazines from back in the day, you'd get a code in the magazine and then after plugging it in you could get some shirt with its logo.

I'm pretty sure something like 90% of the costumes are just advertisements.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Also did you guys just say that you found Silent Hill TWO the most compelling of the trio because isn't that the exact opposite of everything you've said about SH2?
Silent Hill 2 had much more compelling themes than SH1 did, but actually playing the game was a much worse experience

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Somethingdumb posted:

Silent Hill 2 had much more compelling themes than SH1 did, but actually playing the game was a much worse experience

You say that, but the subway in 3 exists.

Supersonic Buddha
Sep 6, 2010

Inertia is a property of matter.

Phantasium posted:

Hah, the costume code menu. Otherwise known as the glorified advertisement for gaming magazines from back in the day, you'd get a code in the magazine and then after plugging it in you could get some shirt with its logo.

I'm pretty sure something like 90% of the costumes are just advertisements.

Nah, it's only like half of them, but every costume (except for one) is just a sleeveless shirt with jeans. I'd hesitate to even call them costumes.

Sadly, the only interesting costume requires that you beat the game on Extra New Game.

EDIT: gently caress it, here's a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqXIFtrFS4

Supersonic Buddha fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 13, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I thought the picture on her shirt was a bald fat dude holding a gun.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Rest in piss Silent Hill 3, a game full of monsters and They Look Like Monsters To You, a lovely town and lovely game mechanics.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Barfing Cumlord posted:

You say that, but the subway in 3 exists.

Oh 3 was my least favorite. I was just talking about 1 and 2.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Question. Just how fed up with Silent Hill will you guys be by the time you get to Downpour?

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Pidmon posted:

Rest in piss Silent Hill 3, a game full of monsters and They Look Like Monsters To You, a lovely town and lovely game mechanics.

Yes, but was it all worth it... for...

...maybe.

Also, WOLF's quiet return.

Claudia's lack of eyebrows always bugged me, just because it was such a "ooooo ~spoooooky~ this woman is evil and cultish so we will give her no eyebrows oooooo" thing to do.

I remember liking SH3 when I played it (just a couple years ago), but seeing it again kinda made me wonder why. gently caress the subway, man. Though I guess it's no surprise that I got more mileage out of it by playing it alone, late at night, in darkness, in a basement that made weird noises sometimes.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

That was a lovely final boss. Was it ever explained who the twitchy people you cannot attack are? There's one in the intro, a few in the otherworlds and one is putting the hood on the final boss.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Way early on in this thread I think I was talking about how Silent Hill 3 is my favorite game in the series. I haven't played it for a very long time and with the conclusion of the LP it's obvious that

a) you have to be in a certain mindset to enjoy it (nightmare barn all day every day), and
b) the mechanics of old-school horror games (check all the doors, now find all the mystery puzzle items!) have not aged well.

I still really like it, but what I've learned from this let's play is that actually Silent Hill 2 is the best, so thanks for that, I guess!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I'm seriously super excited to see y'all tackle 4. I can't wait for the depths of misery it'll put you through.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Way early on in this thread I think I was talking about how Silent Hill 3 is my favorite game in the series. I haven't played it for a very long time and with the conclusion of the LP it's obvious that

a) you have to be in a certain mindset to enjoy it (nightmare barn all day every day), and
b) the mechanics of old-school horror games (check all the doors, now find all the mystery puzzle items!) have not aged well.

I still really like it, but what I've learned from this let's play is that actually Silent Hill 2 is the best, so thanks for that, I guess!

the games really lose a lot of what garnered their reputation and praise as horror games If you don't allow yourself to be immersed. There's very little in the way of jump scares and the subtle atmosphere has little to no effect if your attention is elsewhere. Then since the horror is severely diminished, the flaws shine that much brighter. Maybe Kyle and Keith would have enjoyed this more if they were playing in the nightmare barn, where their atmosphere would have enhanced the game's. Kyle brought up another point of when you LP a game you get sick of it far faster, and don't really get to enjoy it much beyond the first few sessions due to the extra work involved.

Also the best is totally Silent Hill 1.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Spergminer posted:

That was a lovely final boss. Was it ever explained who the twitchy people you cannot attack are? There's one in the intro, a few in the otherworlds and one is putting the hood on the final boss.

That's Valtiel, who is never explained in the game. I think a later game mentions him briefly. Either way, he's meant to ensure that the god is born. When you see him drag Heather away during a game over, it's to revive her or some poo poo. He's also what was flopping around in the locker in the hospital.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barfing Cumlord posted:

I'm seriously super excited to see y'all tackle 4. I can't wait for the depths of misery it'll put you through.

Is IV the combat focused one with the even more janky that usual physics and models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Real hurthling! posted:

Is IV the combat focused one with the even more janky that usual physics and models?

4 is also the one with limited inventory.

• Locked thread