Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tulip posted:

More importantly, Payday takes place in bank robber valhalla so i'm not convinced the military or secret service or government actually exist save for their ability to open portals to the elemental plane of cops.

The real reason for the insane police response time in Payday-land is because the cops are actually pulled in from an alternate universe where everyone is either a police officer or swat. Like that "there is a universe where everyone is Batman" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tulip posted:

More importantly, Payday takes place in bank robber valhalla so i'm not convinced the military or secret service or government actually exist save for their ability to open portals to the elemental plane of cops.
Everyone knows that every American president since Washington has had a Red Wizard of the Ninth Circle on his cabinet to open the gate to the Plane of Law (Enforcement subtype) if it ever becomes necessary. The last one we knew by name was Dick Cheney.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bain is secretly trying to train the ultimate police swat unit and is testing them against a group of his own creation, the ultimate criminals.
His mastermindery runs deeper than humanly conceivable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm still really hoping that it turns out Bain is actually the bad guy and he runs off with all the crew's loot, and the final DLC heist is tracking him down to steal it back and land him in jail.

edit: There was a pretty key spelling mistake here that I have now fixed.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 13, 2014

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'm not sure in which universe Bain and the PAYDAY crew would be considered good guys.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

All of them! They're regular modern-day Robin Hoods, right down to the 675 cop kills/hour.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm no gambler, but I bet Overkill is banking on huge success with the next heist.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

I'm not sure in which universe Bain and the PAYDAY crew would be considered good guys.

I meant the badder bad guy.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I am him. They're on a closely monitored site within the security perimeter carrying assault weapons.

What are they going to do, send a bunch of guys with guns and heavy armor at them? Oh right, they already do that. Payday crew aint afraid of no secret service.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jamfrost posted:

I'm no gambler, but I bet Overkill is banking on huge success with the next heist.

Oh I get it, banking HEH

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Great Beer posted:

What are they going to do, send a bunch of guys with guns and heavy armor at them? Oh right, they already do that. Payday crew aint afraid of no secret service.

Probably drone-strike the bank.

Actually, wouldn't be surprised if that was the point of no return.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ZearothK posted:

Probably drone-strike the bank.

Actually, wouldn't be surprised if that was the point of no return.

Wish they'd drone strike Bain and we heard him warble his last words over the radio.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

I'm still really hoping that it turns out Bain is actually the bad guy and he runs off with all the crew's loot, and the final DLC heist is tracking him down to steal it back and land him in jail.

edit: There was a pretty key spelling mistake here that I have now fixed.

You mean like Bain regularly does with his ridiculous skill point and gun modding fees which make no goddamn sense if they're private actions the crew does on their own? Or the fact that he never gets his poo poo together for Rats day 1 ingredients listing, no matter how many times we have to do that job for XP? Because I think its been explicitly proven since the start of the game that Bain is robbing us blind while he uses us to rob America at large.

I can only hope that getting involved in other contacts starts to take its toll on our relationship with the Grand Master Goon, first by breaking Old Hox out of jail way ahead of his schedule and sending him into an over-controlling nerd rage when we actually pull off the job successfully without him.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FAUXTON posted:

Wish they'd drone strike Bain and we heard him warble his last words over the radio.

"What a big... bank... we could have one of... our... ownnnnn *ughhgh*"

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

CJacobs posted:

"What a big... bank... we could have one of... our... ownnnnn *ughhgh*"

We are in the wrong line of work gentlemen.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jamfrost posted:

You're a real precious gem.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I doubt Bain would be ripping off the people he witnesses killing literally hundreds of heavily-armed cops on a regular basis. Taking a big-rear end cut for himself, sure, but why get yourself killed by ripping off the extremely violent golden goose when you can keep sending it to steal golden eggs forever?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crabtree posted:

You mean like Bain regularly does with his ridiculous skill point and gun modding fees which make no goddamn sense if they're private actions the crew does on their own? Or the fact that he never gets his poo poo together for Rats day 1 ingredients listing, no matter how many times we have to do that job for XP? Because I think its been explicitly proven since the start of the game that Bain is robbing us blind while he uses us to rob America at large.

I can only hope that getting involved in other contacts starts to take its toll on our relationship with the Grand Master Goon, first by breaking Old Hox out of jail way ahead of his schedule and sending him into an over-controlling nerd rage when we actually pull off the job successfully without him.

Eh, as far as mechanical quibbles go, paying cash for skills isn't too hard to understand. For most of them there's got to be a material cost, whether it's ammo for target practice, supplies for medkits, or whatever. Maybe add a markup for sneaking it through postal/delivery/underground channels and in a way that doesn't make it look ridiculously obvious that there's more going on under the dry cleaners than meets the eye.

The gun mod thing doesn't really add up when taken at face value, unless you make the logical leap that payday cards only represent opportunities for Gage to order or "conveniently locate" specific gun parts on the fly. So it's not a magical installation cost, it's the cost of having them shipped in. And that's why the courier mods don't cost anything! :D

But obviously the best way to solve the Bain problem is to have him go rogue and then have old Hoxton take his place as mission operator. "Aw bollocks, these lovely instructions are sayin' somethin' about club soda. You wankers got any of that?"

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

But obviously the best way to solve the Bain problem is to have him go rogue and then have old Hoxton take his place as mission operator. "Aw bollocks, these lovely instructions are sayin' somethin' about club soda. You wankers got any of that?"

I would actually kinda love this. Getting old Hoxton back won't really matter that much because the heisters rarely talk and never to each other.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I couldn't hate Hoxtimo for loving up drug cooking. He'd be more down to stealing drugs from someone who has them, kill the dealers we would give them to and just blow poo poo up and let the cops sort out body parts of whoever those rats were on the bus.

But it'd break my heart to hear him occasionally whine about not being able to shoot cops too. :(

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

John Murdoch posted:

The gun mod thing doesn't really add up when taken at face value, unless you make the logical leap that payday cards only represent opportunities for Gage to order or "conveniently locate" specific gun parts on the fly. So it's not a magical installation cost, it's the cost of having them shipped in. And that's why the courier mods don't cost anything! :D

It cost me 80k to fold the stock on my Swedish K. The hinges already existed. :colbert:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
There's... a narrative?

Me and my friends have been sucking at this game collectively for the last month. We're stupidly up to level 17. And most of the time have no idea what's going on. We go into Crime.net and grab a random mission.

We're so lost.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

isndl posted:

It cost me 80k to fold the stock on my Swedish K. The hinges already existed. :colbert:

Yeah, but the drat hinges were rusted up good, so you had to order huge industrial amounts of grease to get it folded. :colbert:

Alternatively, it's the cost of finding a Swedish K with the stock already folded, plus the costs of transferring the rest of your existing mods over to it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ziploc posted:

There's... a narrative?

Me and my friends have been sucking at this game collectively for the last month. We're stupidly up to level 17. And most of the time have no idea what's going on. We go into Crime.net and grab a random mission.

We're so lost.

This is canon:

Tulip posted:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Talking about getting old Hoxton, Almir said something like "(...) you're assuming that the players CAN help old Hoxton (...)" in the E3 interview, which sounds awfully like "Old Hoxton will die".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ziploc posted:

There's... a narrative?

Not really, not sure what gave you that impression. In the first game there was some continuity between certain jobs, like Heat Street is the follow up to First World Bank, but it was mainly in the Left 4 Dead sense where the maps were self-contained even if there was a chronological order to them.

In Payday 2 there's no real narrative whatsoever other than between games the British Hoxton was caught and imprisoned and Dallas' younger brother put on his mask to replace him in the gang. The gang just goes around doing odd jobs for different contacts, and that's about it. Also a guy named Gage was introduced as the Weapons Guy at some point.

I mean, there may be a "preferred order" to doing the contacts, like Vlad would probably be the first one you do, then Bain, then Hector and the Elephant last. But you can do them in whatever order, just as long as you know which one has the most difficult jobs.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
There is a sort of metaplot to the updates, with an escalation of force between the Crime.Net Crew and the DCPD/GenSec, but just within the game itself there isn't any overarching plot. It's all limited to the update sites and trailers.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I'm so glad that the elemental plane of cops theory has caught on :allears:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Fellis posted:

I'm so glad that the elemental plane of cops theory has caught on :allears:

It's a good theory. Plus you can twist it a bit to fit another quirk of the game. See when you get taken into custody, your character is taken to the elemental plane of cops. But heisters can't exist in that realm, so eventually, you get ejected back to your own dimension.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Matlock Birthmark posted:

It's a good theory. Plus you can twist it a bit to fit another quirk of the game. See when you get taken into custody, your character is taken to the elemental plane of cops. But heisters can't exist in that realm, so eventually, you get ejected back to your own dimension.

Or, if you're on higher difficulties, you must either sacrifice one civilian or return a cop to the Elemental Plane of Cops in order to bring a partner back from the other side.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

King Vidiot posted:

Or, if you're on higher difficulties, you must either sacrifice one civilian or return a cop to the Elemental Plane of Cops in order to bring a partner back from the other side.

Ya, on higher difficulties you've got to widen the portal before it can safely eject a heister. Probably something to do with the conservation of mass or some such.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

My friends always claimed it was a clone army. Save for cloakers which are domesticated near human creatures that breed in the vent systems of large buildings.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

PresidentBeard posted:

My friends always claimed it was a clone army. Save for cloakers which are domesticated near human creatures that breed in the vent systems of large buildings.

Also in sewers, behind open doors and under cars.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

cheezit posted:

under cars.

I think this is my favorite cloaker behavior. Especially if you spot them before they go under the car. It's amusing to see the outline just sitting there. (and chucking a grenade at it)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The next Halloween event will have Xenomorph Cloakers and undead Old Hoxton.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress that! Live fullsize and angry Kawaii Skulldozers.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Throw in Raiden Tasers and Roman Shields and I'm there.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

The poetry jam masks that are being added on Tuesday if you own the soundtrack

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

What was the Big Announcement they were teasing at for yesterday?

VVVVV

Oh, I thought they went "we already announced consoles so this announcement is different". Thanks

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What was the Big Announcement they were teasing at for yesterday?

Ps4/XB1 editions.

• Locked thread