Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Women Air Times (ET)
Thu/Fri: 3-7pm ESPN
Sat/Sun: 3-6pm NBC

Women Marquee Tee Times (ET)
None. The USGA done hosed up.

Look at this horseshit

This year's U.S. Open is being played at Pinehurst No. 2 for the 3rd time, the previous champions being Payne Stewart (1999) and Michael Campbell (2005). For some reason, people thought Phil Mickelson might complete the career slam this year because he finished runner-up in 1999, completely ignoring his 33rd place finish in 2005. However, the stars were aligning for Phil because the course underwent massive renovations in 2011 that removed all the rough in favor of sandy waste areas. Yes, the stars were aligning until Phil became part of an FBI investigation into insider trading. If you don't know, Tiger is still recovering from back surgery.

Adding to the drama is the fact that the :siren: U.S. Women's Open is being staged at the same course the following week for the first time ever. :siren: Some players, Ryann O'Toole in particular, have complained that the women are getting leftovers and they'll be hitting out of the men's divots. The latter is a non-issue since the women's approach shots will be hit from CLOSER to the green than the men, and the former ignores the fact that it's easier to make the course softer and easier for the women than firmer and more difficult if the men played second. Ryann has missed the cut in 60% of her starts this year and her best finish is T38, so maybe she should stop whining and practice more. I'll update the OP with the ladies' information once their week starts.

Air Times (ET)
Thursday: 9am-3pm ESPN, 3-5pm NBC, 5-6pm ESPN2, 6-7pm ESPN :wtc:
Friday: 9am-3pm ESPN, 3-5pm NBC, 5-7pm ESPN
Saturday/Sunday: 12-7:30pm
http://www.usopen.com/en_US/video/liveVideo.html will stream marquee groups at 7:30am Thu/Fri and 12pm Sat/Sun

Marquee Tee Times (ET)
Sergio Garcia, Jason Day, Brandt Snedeker: 7:18am (1), 1:03pm (10)
Webb Simpson, Rory McIlroy, Graeme McDowell: 7:40am (1), 1:25pm (10)
Justin Rose, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Phil Mickelson: 7:51am (10), 1:36pm (1)
Jordan Spieth, Hideki Matsuyama, Rickie Fowler: 8:13am (10), 1:58pm (1)

Odds
Rory McIlroy 8/1
Adam Scott 11/1
Phil Mickelson 14/1
Bubba Watson 16/1
Jordan Spieth 20/1
Justin Rose 22/1
Matt Kuchar 22/1
Henrik Stenson 25/1
Jason Day 25/1
Sergio Garcia 25/1

My Top 5 Picks
Rory McIlroy
Adam Scott
Phil Mickelson
Jason Day
Dustin Johnson

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

not as excited for this as The Players, more excited for it than anything since.

I like Kuchar and Furyk on gut alone

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Who is the best waste bunker/beach player currently on tour? I'm picking them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

Phil is historically a fantastic bunker player, although a lot of that was him getting in there because he did something dumb so.... :v:

E: The PGA's own site does a hell of a job breaking down stats on scrambling. http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02336.html

E2: My picks:

Rory
Bubba
Day
Scott
Phil

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 9, 2014

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Keyser S0ze posted:

Don't know about waste bunkers, but Luke Donald is an absolute beast out of green side bunkers.

Edit: Maybe he's not the best, but for some reason I have him in my mind as very good out of green side bunkers.

fake edit: Dustin Johnson is really good out of waste bunkers amirite :cool:

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 9, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

Don't know about waste bunkers, but Luke Donald is an absolute beast out of green side bunkers.

Edit: Maybe he's not the best, but for some reason I have him in my mind as very good out of green side bunkers.

fake edit: Dustin Johnson is really good out of waste bunkers amirite :cool:
Luke Donald is gonna be hitting driver/5 wood to reach the par 4s. :smug:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Josh Lyman posted:

Luke Donald is gonna be hitting driver/5 wood to reach the par 4s. :smug:

So he'll have plenty of opportunities to hit out of green side bunkers :). Although it's probably just a poo poo ton of 'collection areas' around the greens at Pinehurst.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm thinking someone that can play well out of that crap or not hit it at all.....with 7600 yds and what sounds like pretty slim fairways, I'm guessing players could be hitting second shots out of that stuff 5+ times per round if the overall fairways hit % is around 60% (PGA Avg).

That's potentially 20 second shots out of crud like this over the course of the tournament:

It looks like every fairway has waste areas around it. Maybe it won't matter at all an they'll be able to hit greens out of there with no probs.

http://www.pinehurst.com/golf/courses/no-2/

I'll just pick a crafty island based Euro.......Graeme "MacDougal." On second thoughts Bubba can probably play out of that stuff all day long no problem.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 9, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh man yeah, 7600 yards and probably great for improvisers. Bubba's gonna love that

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Honestly, as long as your ball doesn't end up IN one of those little bushes, those waste bunkers are WAY easier for players to hit out of than 6 inches of heavy rough(normal US Open conditions). For one thing, it's actually possible to spin the ball out of that waste bunker sand(whether it's hard packed or soft), so they actually stand a chance of holding a US Open green from those bunkers.

My old home course had a lot of waste areas, and I got pretty decent at hitting out of it, I'd expect pros to not struggle too bad. That is of course IF they don't end up inside or directly behind one of those bushes.

Apart from the greens, which will probably be ridiculously difficult, I'd expect Pinehurst to play a lot easier than somewhere like The Olympic Club a couple years ago. Give me waste bunkers over ancient tree lined fairways with super thick rough ANY day.

I haven't been watching much golf this year, but I'm guessing that 'Dufner gonna Duff' all weekend long into a championship.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 9, 2014

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The waste areas can be pretty nasty irregular sand with varying consistency under it, and it's probably going to be even more irregular with more foot traffic. It really depends on where your ball is, a lie to chip out from can be within inches of a lie you can go for it from. It was looking real thick with wiregrass and other stuff, although where I got to take a look at it earlier today was by 13 green and that's always been thick, one of the few places you could really lose a ball in regular conditions.

I wouldn't be surprised if they hit more fairways, they're pretty wide, but the areas where the fairways get tighter make for some interesting decisions.

I kinda can't wait to try and camp out with a view to 5 green, that saddle shaped thing is going to be amazing with longer shots coming in.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The World Cup doesn't start until late afternoon and the NBA Finals are until late at night. It's time for golf, bitches!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yep. Should be fun. There doesn't seem to be a real agreement on how to play the course, and it looked like the waste was making things interesting for guys coming out of it. They could play from it, but it wasn't looking like they were consistent, especially on longer shots.

Also, got a feeling Colesaerts might impress. He looked real good on Tuesday. He hit some long and accurate drives, and made a birdie on hole 2 look easy.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Reminder: Jordan Spieth is 20 years old.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

They must have the rookies doing the camera work during these lives streams or something because they are all over the place!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

ironlung posted:

Reminder: Jordan Spieth is 20 years old.

Along with 19 year old Fitzpatrick (excellent golf name). That bunker shot he hit on the par three a few minutes ago was ridiculous.

Justin rose looks awful. Can't get up and down with anything.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Rickie sporting knickers today, nice.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
oh no bubba is upset! :ohdear:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

loving awesome

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Oh how I do like low-score majors.

Edit: Bubba fought the course, and the course won.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 12, 2014

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Martin Kaymer, drat.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Taerkar posted:

Oh how I do like low-score majors.

Edit: Bubba fought the course, and the course won.

I'll confess, I might've laughed a bit when I saw Toms put his ball on the green and back off the other side on three and five.

Forgive me but after reading those greens for a year, I'm gonna cackle a bit when the pros mess that stuff up.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm not a big Fowler fan but this is awesome.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

First day finishes with 15 players under par. I suspect they'll harden the greens tomorrow.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I don't think Bubba's gonna make Saturday guys.

Golfweek posted:

Watson, in contrast, appeared psyched out by a Pinehurst course that he said, “didn’t fit his eye,” and neutralized his power game. “I’m not very good laying up,” he said.

Watson’s dream of the grand slam looked to go up in smoke when he made a double bogey at the par-5 10th to drop to 5 over. While he mostly stuck to his conservative game plan, Watson banged driver on several occasions but hit only 8 of 14 fairways. When asked to name his worst lie of the day, he answered, “All of them.”

“Today wasn’t my day for ball-striking,” he said. “Come out tomorrow and try to play better, that’s it. If I don’t, I’ll get ready for next week.”

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 13, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
meh

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

As long as Keegan Bradley is still in the hunt I'm a happy man.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

USOpen.com morning group of Keegan, Dufner, and 1st round leader Martin Kaymer.

Afternoon group is Mickelson, Rose, and Fitzpatrick.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Is Kaymer going to repeat TPC? Looking good so far today.

Have I jinxed him?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I shall be out on the course tomorrow morning at 10am. Will be interesting to see "changes" on the course from the last time I was there (2005 US Open). Now I just have to figure out how to wake up at 7am on a Saturday.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Bad tee shot for Keegan on #2.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Troy Queef posted:

Oh please no, I can't stand watching this guy golf. He's got an oddly proportioned body or something too that kind of creeps me out. I might honestly prefer watching Kevin Na to Bradley.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Oh please no, I can't stand watching this guy golf. He's got an oddly proportioned body or something too that kind of creeps me out. I might honestly prefer watching Kevin Na to Bradley.

Even my fiance who uses golf on TV as a good excuse to take a nap can't stand watching Kevin Na!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Politicalrancor posted:

Martin Kaymer, drat.

And another 65 today, holy poo poo. That is just incredible. Someone needs to put up a similar round this afternoon or else this thing is all but over after two days.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Goddamn what's gotten into Kaymer :stare:

dude's just wrecking this course

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
He will poo poo it all away because golf is hell. Kevin Na or someone else ultra-boring will win.

This Fitzpatrick kid is fun to watch though.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
If Kaymer wins, he's a Hall of Fame shoo-in. That would be two majors and a Players Championship.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Are we seeing a Phil rally?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

DJExile posted:

Goddamn what's gotten into Kaymer :stare:

dude's just wrecking this course

pretty much

Hopin' the GMac attack gets going and of course Phil.

....also Eric Compton's RESTING pulse is like 150 or some poo poo from the anti-rejection meds he is loaded up on. What a tough bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Martin Kaymer is getting RICH this year.

• Locked thread