Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

The point of puts-out-the-sun guy was to say "hey, point-buy supers games are prone to abuse if you don't look over the characters your players put together, make sure you communicate with everyone." You can probably do something equally dumb in just about any game where players are free to buy superpowers with an unregulated pool of resources with which to do so.

Yup. Wild Talents powers are less fiddly and mathy to put together than doing the same in HERO... but not by that much, especially if you start putting merits and flaws on those powers. I have high hopes for someday actually giving WT a try, but my one go at GMing it fell apart in character creation when my players all went super minmax and I just did not have the heart to get into an arms race.

I really can't find a supers game with power creation that isn't either too heavy (HERO definitely, WT maybe) or light (Cortex+ Heroic) for me. I haven't played any edition of M&M, but on a read it doesn't do much for me. I need to mess around with Strange FATE more, I think. The one custom-powers game that actually works perfectly for me is Nobilis, but it feels really kind of counterproductive to dial the setting back from Sandman levels.

Anyway, all that said, there is an amazing Ken Hite chapter on superhero worldbuilding in the full WT book (the hardcover, either edition, not the digest Essential, which is otherwise rad) which is easily worth purchase price all by itself. But on the downside again, WT Second Ed is full of nasty-looking Poser art I literally did not want to spend money on so I bought 1st ed for that chapter and Essential Ed for the rules.

On the positive side, I do really like the ORE dice gimmicks, and for a superhero game in particular it just feels really right to define super-stats as basically "your dice always roll maximum", and the ten-rolled-die limit keeps pools from going to the hilarious excesses of HERO or Exalted. Whether it actually works in play... maybe I'll find out one of these days.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Yawgmoth posted:

It's actually in Imperial Mysteries. It's really funny because it's like "werewolves have rank 8 spirits, changelings have the True Fae, geists have the kerberoi, vampires have... umm... well there's something out there that likes vampires and it's probably really creepy and horrible too!"

And prometheans have the qashmallim, even though what the hell they are or where they come from or why they give a poo poo isn't really explained anywhere as far as I can tell.

I guess vampires might have a demonic patron given the nature of the Beast even though as far as I'm aware there's not really any indication of such in the lore there either.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
The super scary monster to Requiem vampires are the Strix, ghostly owl-like spirits detailed in Requiem for Rome, Night Horrors: Wicked Dead, and Blood & Smoke: the Strix Chronicle.

Basically they are sadistic creatures who enjoy ruining vampire's lives by possessing them and doing awful poo poo, and they've been watching the Kindred from the shadows since time unknown.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Are those Strix in turn being manipulated by an even deeper, even more powerful set of monsters, or is it Strix all the way down?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Archmage-tier vampire patrons are just high-level members of the Ordo Dracul.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gau posted:

All of this. In addition, Traveller makes for better Firefly-style (roving traders on the dubious side of the law) games than Firefly or Star Wars, unless you're in love with westerns and/or civil war apologism and then Firefly is probably better.

If you mean the Serenity system I agree. Firefly on the other hand is an excellent system for utter carnage with things not going smooth - it's just about the perfect system for playing something like Police Academy. But Traveller is much more about the logistics. (And yes, Serenity and Firefly have different game systems).

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Davin Valkri posted:

Are those Strix in turn being manipulated by an even deeper, even more powerful set of monsters, or is it Strix all the way down?

Yeah, but eventually it loops all the way back around so the real monster is man.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
A lot of why I was thinking about looking into Traveller is because it seemed like it would be a good system to run Most Definitely Not Cowboy Bebop with a party of 4 people screwing around in the galaxy taking bounties and dealing with personal intrigue. I couldn't give two shits about the metaplot (this is a general rule for me with most elfgames) and frankly I'd be ditching very very large chunks of the setting. :shobon:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fuego Fish posted:

Yeah, but eventually it loops all the way back around so the real monster is man.

Well of course the real monster is man. Unless it's the old World of Darkness, where the real monster is The Man becaue it was the 90's and counterculture was culture. Also, the game I was thinking of was not Wild Talents, it was the ORE supers game Godlike (which is about WWII). I've never read Wild Talents, is that based on the fiction anthologies edited by GRRM?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SALT CURES HAM posted:

A lot of why I was thinking about looking into Traveller is because it seemed like it would be a good system to run Most Definitely Not Cowboy Bebop with a party of 4 people screwing around in the galaxy taking bounties and dealing with personal intrigue. I couldn't give two shits about the metaplot (this is a general rule for me with most elfgames) and frankly I'd be ditching very very large chunks of the setting. :shobon:

Definitely definitely check out Drinax then. It's a fantastic pirate sandbox adventure, with excellent set pieces to put in wherever they fit. The heist mission, where you steal an Imperial Treasure Ship is phenomenal - my dudes spent six months on it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Kwyndig posted:

Well of course the real monster is man. Unless it's the old World of Darkness, where the real monster is The Man becaue it was the 90's and counterculture was culture. Also, the game I was thinking of was not Wild Talents, it was the ORE supers game Godlike (which is about WWII). I've never read Wild Talents, is that based on the fiction anthologies edited by GRRM?

The base setting of Wild Talents is basically an extrapolation of Godlike into the future with Talents getting stronger and weirder as time goes on. Still an ORE supers game, but with a lot of optional dials and levers to change things up.

The GRRM-edited thing is Wild Cards, which has had a GURPS and a M&M licensed conversion, but never Wild Talents, as far as I know.

(On the other hand, Progenitor, a variant setting sourcebook for Wild Talents, covers the same sort of ground of "Real history with super-powers" stuff as Wild Cards, and as a bonus is not full of tons of awful rape poo poo.)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

neonchameleon posted:

If you mean the Serenity system I agree. Firefly on the other hand is an excellent system for utter carnage with things not going smooth - it's just about the perfect system for playing something like Police Academy. But Traveller is much more about the logistics. (And yes, Serenity and Firefly have different game systems).

I dunno, if I wanted that I could just play Fiasco with spaceships? It is there already!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

GRRM-edited... awful rape poo poo

Seems a tad redundant to me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Progenitor is my favorite Greg Stolze setting, which is saying a lot considering that basically every one he's written is great.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
A lot of Wild Cards was apparently based on a tabletop game sessions run by some of the authors (BRP's Superworld, from what I remember), which mostly just makes me think that if the internet and blogging about games had been a thing back in the day we'd never have run out of material for grogs.txt from people talking about their characters.

Their awful, awful characters.

And yeah, Progenitor is legitimately pretty great.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The thing about Wild Talents is that it's not a superhero game in the sense of emulating comics, it's about people who are insanely powerful and what they can do.

Progenitor is worth getting even if you don't like or use Wild Talents because it's the best "supers in the real world" setting out there. The reason being that a) the supers are allowed to change history so it's not another case of "oh, Superman exists but this really bad thing that really happened still happened" and b) real-world people got powers sometimes (like J. Edgar Hoover and Abby Hoffman).

Plus it has a lot of Greg just playing around with the WT system, like seeing how nasty a Blast power he could make.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Libertad! posted:

The super scary monster to Requiem vampires are the Strix, ghostly owl-like spirits detailed in Requiem for Rome, Night Horrors: Wicked Dead, and Blood & Smoke: the Strix Chronicle.

Basically they are sadistic creatures who enjoy ruining vampire's lives by possessing them and doing awful poo poo, and they've been watching the Kindred from the shadows since time unknown.
That's what's scary to them, not so much scary for them. Unless there's some big ol' freaky ur-strix out there threatening archmages to leave vampires alone because it called ultimate dibs at the beginning of time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

unseenlibrarian posted:

The base setting of Wild Talents is basically an extrapolation of Godlike into the future with Talents getting stronger and weirder as time goes on. Still an ORE supers game, but with a lot of optional dials and levers to change things up.

The GRRM-edited thing is Wild Cards, which has had a GURPS and a M&M licensed conversion, but never Wild Talents, as far as I know.

(On the other hand, Progenitor, a variant setting sourcebook for Wild Talents, covers the same sort of ground of "Real history with super-powers" stuff as Wild Cards, and as a bonus is not full of tons of awful rape poo poo.)

That sounds interesting as hell actually, looks like I'll be picking up Wild Talents and Progenitor on PDF next payday.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The future of gaming, or at least D&D.

I feel old. :(

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Looks like what we needed last edition.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Ashen Stars is literally what you want here.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Looks like what we needed last edition.

It's outsourced, so it'll actually be done this time.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

S.J. posted:

It's outsourced, so it'll actually be done this time.

Wasn't 4E's virtual tabletop also being programmed by a contractor?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Plague of Hats posted:

Was it? I didn't think so, but I could be mis-remembering.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think it was supposed to be but it wound up getting done in-house.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think it was supposed to be but it wound up getting done in-house.

Pretty much this. They had outsourced it but the people they hired never delivered so they had to scramble and do it in house, with too few people with the wrong skills on a shoestring budget.

Frankly, its amazing they managed to get any of it working.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
None of the games I play right now are particularly crunchy enough that I've ever really felt the need for an app, but if I was playing something a little more math heavy I could definitely appreciate having something for the game. As it is most of us still have our tablets along for PDFs and such during the game anyway.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Personally I'd love a really good generic character sheet application. Even for Dungeon World having something easier to work with than a PDF would be really nice.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Plague of Hats posted:

And got derailed by a murder/suicide, yes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

palecur posted:

Ashen Stars is literally what you want here.

That's a Gumshoe game though.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That's a Gumshoe game though.

.. so? Gumshoe could definitely do an episodic bounty hunter type game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm just not a fan of the system.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm just not a fan of the system.

You're not the person that made the request, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Nope, but I was offering an opinion.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Sionak posted:

.. so? Gumshoe could definitely do an episodic bounty hunter type game.

Ashen Stars would be really good fit for an episodic bounty hunter game. The setting assumes the characters are freelancers who do a variety of tasks including tracking down criminals.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
For folks with experience in Superhero RPGs, what can you tell about them, in terms of common tropes, game mechanics, and design pitfalls? I was thinking of designing a superhero homebrew thing, but I'd like to have good source material oh hand of what other people did.

I've really only played Mutants & Masterminds, and read Marvel Heroic Role-Playing, but that's only a minor sampling of all the games out there. Champions, Wild Talents, Necessary Evil, Villains & Vigilantes, et cetera. Are there any you'd recommend checking out, any to avoid?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Libertad! posted:

For folks with experience in Superhero RPGs, what can you tell about them, in terms of common tropes, game mechanics, and design pitfalls? I was thinking of designing a superhero homebrew thing, but I'd like to have good source material oh hand of what other people did.

I've really only played Mutants & Masterminds, and read Marvel Heroic Role-Playing, but that's only a minor sampling of all the games out there. Champions, Wild Talents, Necessary Evil, Villains & Vigilantes, et cetera. Are there any you'd recommend checking out, any to avoid?

IMO, any game about superheroes is really easy to bog down in specifics. Hulk can lift X tons, but Thor can only lift Y, while Superman lifts X+Y. pretty soon you have a mess of mechanics that doesn't even accomplish what you set out to do, which is make super punch-mans who wear underwear on the outside.

I think out of all the offerings so far, MHRPG does it best, it is more concerned with emulating the way comics actually read, rather than model specific powers or power levels. Contrast with Mutants&Masterminds and other crunch heavy systems, which are often the definition of a d20 peg trying to fit in a square hole.

Honorable mention does go to the old Marvel FASERIP system, it was pretty fun even if we had no idea what in the actual gently caress was going on half the time.

And one of our own in the ApocWorld thread is working on a PbtA supers game (Worlds in Peril) that looks to be really fuckin cool.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Supercrew

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I may be the biggest MHR fan on the forums but seriously Supercrew is the best capes game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Maltose posted:

I may be the biggest MHR fan on the forums but seriously Supercrew is the best capes game.

Well, I hadn't heard of this before.

• Locked thread