Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Two holiday notices for the thread. Tomorrow is Separation Day, the anniversary of Delaware declaring independence from the British, so here's Senator Carper in colonial garb.

But perhaps more important for this thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

spunkshui posted:

Im ok with it.

Ill trade my entire classroom for a rock and a single student.

And that student, was Bristol Palin.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Apparently the Syracuse mascot is under FEC investigation for not accepting bribes the correct way.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

So two of Steve Stockman's staff resigned, then donated to his campaign the next day, then got rehired the day after. Here's his explanation of how this was all totally not illegal:

:bravo:

That's it, he beat the system. Pack it up guys.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Backstory podcast reran their episode talking about the history of political parties in the United States in the wake of the Eric Cantor debacle

http://backstoryradio.org/shows/splintered-parties-4/

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

moller posted:

You should probably get that checked out, you're drinking Evan, not Jack.
I do not bother with pretender Tennessee whiskey :colbert: (although if you can get your hands on a bottle of Green Label Jack it's not terrible)

So how long before the Freep types say that the military is lying about Bergdhal because Obama and he was actually kept in a luxurious hotel room with hookers and videogames the whole time?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

SubponticatePoster posted:

I do not bother with pretender Tennessee whiskey :colbert: (although if you can get your hands on a bottle of Green Label Jack it's not terrible)

So how long before the Freep types say that the military is lying about Bergdhal because Obama and he was actually kept in a luxurious hotel room with hookers and videogames the whole time?

Freep's been doing it from the start.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also shopping at Costco today: Sonia Sotomayor!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
She's approaching RBG awesomeness.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
In other news, Obama has finally resolved one of the most destructive and long lived conflicts of our generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YyZkLyxMds
Gif is pronounced with a hard G.

At this point you'd think the Republicans would be coming out in favor of pronouncing it as 'Jif', but that might be a line even they aren't stupid enough to cross.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Good Citizen posted:

In other news, Obama has finally resolved one of the most destructive and long lived conflicts of our generation.

At this point you'd think the Republicans would be coming out in favor of pronouncing it as 'Jif', but that might be a line even they aren't stupid enough to cross.

Old news:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Huh. I don't see anything in Article II about the authority to define pronunciation. Impeach!

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Joementum posted:

Huh. I don't see anything in Article II about the authority to define pronunciation. Impeach!

He didn't do it under the advisement of Congress. Impeach!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

Let's see, we have burrito chat, alcohol chat, and now how to pronounce .gif chat. If we could just work in how many people stand vs. sit when wiping their rear end the circle will be complete.

8bitAsplode
Sep 12, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Let's see, we have burrito chat, alcohol chat, and now how to pronounce .gif chat. If we could just work in how many people stand vs. sit when wiping their rear end the circle will be complete.

I think the question is more fold vs crumple.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

So two of Steve Stockman's staff resigned, then donated to his campaign the next day, then got rehired the day after. Here's his explanation of how this was all totally not illegal:

:bravo:
Ok, so poo poo is corrupt as hell here, but this is the line you can't cross, right? Someone will challenge this and Stockman will be prove to be in the wrong, because this is so utterly transparent. The rule might as well not be there if it'll be abused like this. Maybe we'll get a new regulation stating that once you donate to a campaign you can't work for them for X days.

Oh who am I kidding.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Stockman already decided not to run for re-election this year, it's not like he gives a gently caress.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Hey Fried can we get a section of the OP each month dedicated to Goon recommendations on booze? Digging through boozechat is hard :effort:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

Stockman already decided not to run for re-election this year, it's not like he gives a gently caress.

Then what the heck does he need money from his staffers for? Other than thank-you kickbacks for hiring them to the federal gravy train?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Magres posted:

Goon recommendations on booze

Lots

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

8bitAsplode posted:

I think the question is more fold vs crumple.

It's fold. Crumple wastes surface area and gets poo on your hands.

I mean come on.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

sullat posted:

Then what the heck does he need money from his staffers for? Other than thank-you kickbacks for hiring them to the federal gravy train?

If so, for shame! There are far more elegant ways of traditionally handling that kind of procedure!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

paragon1 posted:

I mean come on.
Crumple creates edges to collect more poo therefore is superior :colbert:

This is relevant to polichat because US politics are poo poo anyway.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

sullat posted:

They were donations to his 2012 campaign.

quote:

On Jan. 3, 2013, the day he was sworn into office after more than 15 years out of Congress, Stockman hired Jason Posey and Thomas Dodd to work in his congressional office. According to OCE, Posey was hired at a salary of $60,000, while Dodd was hired at $50,000. When Stockman's campaign filed its next report with the Federal Election Commission, it listed $15,000 in contributions made on the same day, Feb. 21, by both Dodd's mother, Jane Dodd, and Posey's father, Donnie Posey. The contributions came in three $2,500 checks from each person, covering the three elections -- primary, general, and runoff -- in which Stockman ran in 2012.

The contributions were unusual enough to attract the attention of the Sunlight Foundation, a government watchdog group, which started poking around. The group got in touch with Jane Dodd, who said she had no memory of making the contribution. The foundation then published an article raising questions about the donations. Six days after the Sunlight Foundation published its article, Stockman's campaign amended its report to the FEC, attributing the money to Jason Posey and Thomas Dodd. After the Sunlight Foundation published a subsequent article questioning whether the donations violated federal laws, Stockman's campaign responded again. The day after the second Sunlight piece, the campaign amended its FEC report to say the money had been refunded.

Steve Stockman is basically the laziest grifter.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Warszawa, I don't know what kind of whorehouse you're running out of your Private Messages, but they're full again.

Joementum posted:

They were donations to his 2012 campaign.

Steve Stockman is basically the laziest grifter.
I believe I mentioned that I have friends in Texas GOP politics and when I asked around about him it was the most universally negative response I've ever gotten - and that's saying something. I believe one of the quotes was like, "The biggest human piece of poo poo I've ever met" or something along those lines. If you're in a state with Ted Cruz and people hate Ted Cruz less, that's impressive.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 14, 2014

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

paragon1 posted:

I mean come on.

I was going to say this. If you crumple, you might as well ditch the TP entirely and rub poo poo on your face.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Michael Steele thinks Eric Cantor could be the next RNC chairman, confirming that Steele still hates the RNC and wants it to die.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SubponticatePoster posted:

Crumple creates edges to collect more poo therefore is superior :colbert:

This is relevant to polichat because US politics are poo poo anyway.

You're an edge that collects more poo! I'll make sure your kind can't get anything done in government! :bahgawd:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
On national bourbon day, let's discuss another thing Mitch McConnell is wrong about : bourbon.

quote:

"The best way to drink it, in my opinion, is to make a Manhattan, which is a combination of bourbon and other unknown substances,” McConnell said. “Drop a couple of cherries on top of it, make sure there's ice there, and it's a terrific drink around Christmastime, which I frequently offer to my guests."

First: you make Manhattans with rye. Second: an Old Fashioned is way better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

On national bourbon day, let's discuss another thing Mitch McConnell is wrong about : bourbon.

Third: how does the senator from Kentucky not know what is in a Manhattan
Fourth: how does a Louisville native not immediately start talking about real mint juleps

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

Michael Steele thinks Eric Cantor could be the next RNC chairman, confirming that Steele still hates the RNC and wants it to die.

This is superior trolling. I like it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Not emptyquoting I swear

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Joementum posted:

Rye Manhattans are superior to Old Fashioneds in every way. Because Rye is superior to Bourbon.

:colbert:

Michael Steele is the best muppet.

Who wore it better?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Joementum posted:

There's something to be said for David Brat's education plan.

Of course, the people decided they didn't much like Socrates' education system either. I guess you really can't win! :shrug:

Wait a minute....

This guy likes Socrates' system? A system that was best described as arguing for and indoctrinating for A. A rigid class system that insisted inequality, B. Slavish devotion to the state, and C. A Post-scarcity economy based on isolationism and everyone doing one thing forever? I mean. I get the first one and the second one, but Socrates also basically said "gently caress old people, I can't brainwash them" and didn't really believe in the free market, so I don't really know how that has any Republican appeal to it outside of the obvious proto-nationalism.

Oh wait...Republicans. They've never actually read the Republic or Phaedo at all/with any context other than firmly quote-mining for parts they agree with.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

I believe I mentioned that I have friends in Texas GOP politics and when I asked around about him it was the most universally negative response I've ever gotten - and that's saying something. I believe one of the quotes was like, "The biggest human piece of poo poo I've ever met" or something along those lines. If you're in a state with Ted Cruz and people hate Ted Cruz less, that's impressive.

Hell, I couldn't even get anyone to talk about him. It's like he didn't exist.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Tonk posted:

Hell, I couldn't even get anyone to talk about him. It's like he didn't exist.
Yeah, he's so loathed that I believe it. Not hard to understand why, heh.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

MickeyFinn posted:

I was going to say this. If you crumple, you might as well ditch the TP entirely and rub poo poo on your face.

Done.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Fourth: how does a Louisville native not immediately start talking about real mint juleps

This was my immediate thought. How does a supposedly southern man not go straight for the mint julep? And to pick a manhatten of all things instead.

e: and folding, for the record. Though nothing beats a bidet. If/when I buy a house, it's getting Toto washlets throughout.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 14, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

TheGreyGhost posted:

Wait a minute....

This guy likes Socrates' system? A system that was best described as arguing for and indoctrinating for A. A rigid class system that insisted inequality, B. Slavish devotion to the state, and C. A Post-scarcity economy based on isolationism and everyone doing one thing forever? I mean. I get the first one and the second one, but Socrates also basically said "gently caress old people, I can't brainwash them" and didn't really believe in the free market, so I don't really know how that has any Republican appeal to it outside of the obvious proto-nationalism.

Oh wait...Republicans. They've never actually read the Republic or Phaedo at all/with any context other than firmly quote-mining for parts they agree with.

Actually its less about quote mining and more about a point of view thing.

Libertarians like to think of themselves as intellectuals with a belief system formed solely around logical conclusions. Whether its Ayn Rand, Stephen Molyneux or some small town libertarian one thing they have in common is that they view economics, and indeed most things, as questions that have rational answers that can be deduced via logic. Its why you will see libertarians furrow their brows and get increasingly annoyed when you don't 'get it'. Its pure logic, once its explained to you you shouldn't be able to argue against it at all.

Because of this they tend to really, really like the classical thinkers. Plato, Socrates, anyone who's argumentation method was more or less the socratic method they worship, because they are clearly logical people. It doesn't matter that many of these thinkers LOVED the state, I recently had an argument with Tim Moen, the head of the Libertarian Party of Canada about Plato, and how books like 'Laws' aren't speaking to their weird Anarcho-Capitalist flavor of the world.

As just one of an infinite number of examples, I leave you with Jan Helfeld, the Socratic Debator. Do not watch this video if you have chest pains, or if you take nitrates for high blood pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pFC3LKMIQo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Shageletic posted:

More details about Berghadl's time with the Taliban.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/13/bergdahl-held-in-solitary-confinement-for-2-years-officials-say/

Its hard to think of anyone in recent times that had the same experience as an American POW.

quote:

American Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, while held prisoner in Afghanistan, was locked in solitary confinement for two straight years and did not see another human face for that entire time, senior military sources with knowledge of his "reintegration process" told Fox News.

Officials said Bergdahl, during that period, only talked to his captors through the wall of a six-foot-by-six-foot metal box, in which he was kept.

The box was just big enough for him to stand up straight and stretch his arms. If he was ever taken out of the box, Bergdahl was apparently hooded. Bergdahl told officials that this treatment started immediately after he attempted to escape captivity.

"His mental and physical state match this description -- and we believe him from what we see," one official told Fox News. The details emerged as Bergdahl arrived early Friday at an Army medical center in San Antonio, Texas.

Officials there told a Friday afternoon press conference there is no timeline for Bergdahl’s reintegration, but added that he was in stable condition and that they hope he will “transition to a normal healthy lifestyle.”

Army South Commander Major General Joseph DiSalvo said the reintegration process is to help Bergdahl “with the necessary tools to regain appropriate levels of physical and emotional stability to effectively resume normal activities with minimal physical and emotional complications.”
:stare:Jesus loving Christ. I want to take every Fox/right wing rear end in a top hat who implied that we should have left Bergdahl there and slap the poo poo out of them. How the gently caress do you even “transition to a normal healthy lifestyle” from that? Obviously the real answer is "you don't", but how do you even get back to some semblance of normalcy after that?

Also holy poo poo Bergdahl is in my home city right now; they did a really good job of keeping it quiet, because I certainly didn't notice.

• Locked thread