Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

pengun101 posted:

speaking of that. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/27838978 this rear end in a top hat joined ISIS leaving his kids behind so that who could play COD IRL edtion. I honestly hope he dies.

Hahaha, that guy sounds like some libertarian redneck. Signed up to ISIS so he can open carry an AK and not pay taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Actually, while a renewed focus on Islamism was the result of the 67 defeat, the Sunni Shiite Sectarianism developed recently primarily because of the gulf royal backlash against the Iranian Revolution and as a tool of the Ayatollahs to export the revolution to other arab countries. Forty years ago if you had talked to someone about a sunni-shiite divide they'd ask what the gently caress you're talking about, but because Egypt decided to commit political suicide and enter an eternal war against its own people thanks to Anwar Sadat. the only remaining sides were the gulf Arabs and the Iranians, in the fight between the Ayatollahs and Saddam+Gulf regimes used all of their resources to spread sectarian poison into the veins of their societies in order to both project against their enemies and to maintain power over their people. In the end, it's a really wonderful service they did for Israel and other occupying powers, planting the seed of the ultimate destruction of their own societies and reaping it with glee when the time came for them to do so (see how Bashar still holds power), which is what happened in Iraq, Saddam planted the seeds of societies collapse for him to maintain power, so when the Americans and Iranians came it was a really wonderful weapon to destroy the country once and for all.

That was the one thing that brought the whole Middle East together, hating the Jews. Now they don't even have that!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Aurubin posted:

That was the one thing that brought the whole Middle East together, hating the Jews. Now they don't even have that!

Not really, from day one there have always been people who collaborated with the racist colonialists of the Zionist movement, you have the Hashemites who kept in contact with the zionists before 1948 and between then and 1967, you have the Shah of Iran, you have the gulf regimes while they were working against Gamal Abdel Nasser (see the Yemeni civil war), you have certain sects of Lebanon who enabled the invasion of their country, you have the Egyptian military government post camp David, you have the now saudi-israeli contacts and alliance against Iran, etc.

You also make the mistake that the Israelis dont like anti-semites, when in fact some of their greatest allies and biggest political coups came from people who were rabid anti-semite dictators like Anwar Sadat and the Shah of Iran not to mention blood soaked warlords like Bashir Gemeyyel, but thankfully someone got him before his pen reached the paper.

Anyways, back to Iraq, it's been confirmed that an Iraqi helicopter has been shot down between Baghdad and Fallujah.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 16, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

pengun101 posted:

speaking of that. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/27838978 this rear end in a top hat joined ISIS leaving his kids behind so that who could play COD IRL edtion. I honestly hope he dies.
I hope he gets to discover that in real life, crouching behind cover does not heal your wounds in a matter of seconds.

quote:

"For us to be here it's freedom. Total freedom. I can walk around with a Kalashnikov if I want to."

"This idea of us wanting to go back and plot terror attacks in our countries is absolute rubbish. We are having a good life here."

Al-Britani has said he has no plans to go back to the UK.

"I felt like I was in prison in that country, you need road tax, you need this, you need that, blah blah, it's just money making schemes."
This guy's motive for joining a barbarian horde and commit war crimes are explicitly "right to bear arms" and "taxes and regulations".

ISIS is the Muslim Tea Party.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Thundercracker posted:

Hahaha, that guy sounds like some libertarian redneck. Signed up to ISIS so he can open carry an AK and not pay taxes

I'm not convinced this isn't actually a Daily Mail piece.

Or is BBC just that bad now?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

That's what a lot of Western jihadists are. They're more like war tourists. Only a few of them are hardcore in their convictions. It was the same thing during the Soviet-Afghan War. Lots of Saudi men went to Afghanistan solely for the bragging rights of having fought in a war.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

By the way, what is general attitude of this thread towards Israel?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

I hope he gets to discover that in real life, crouching behind cover does not heal your wounds in a matter of seconds.

This guy's motive for joining a barbarian horde and commit war crimes are explicitly "right to bear arms" and "taxes and regulations".

ISIS is the Muslim Tea Party.

The full interview is here, the Podcast will be part of my new website once it launches, along with the Middle East Week podcast.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

kalstrams posted:

It stinks!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kalstrams posted:

I suspect the Israeli state has few fans here.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Man, watching a parade of the architects of the Iraq war go on TV today to talk about the situation sure was fun. :barf:

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

kalstrams posted:

One of the standing mandates in the thread was no I/P chat. It never ends well in D&D.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I suspect the Israeli state has few fans here.

Tran posted:

One of the standing mandates in the thread was no I/P chat. It never ends well in D&D.
Got it, my bad about missing mandate.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
We can sometimes chat about specific events (like those 3 kidnapped teens), but generally try to avoid it since it can lead to tens of pages worth of derails about the broader conflict, which really belongs in its own thread.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
275 US Special Forces are on their way to shore things up at the Baghdad embassy! :911:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Try taking our loving embassy this time.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Misandrist Duck posted:

275 US Special Forces are on their way to shore things up at the Baghdad embassy! :911:

That number was lower yesterday.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Count Roland posted:

That number was lower yesterday.

Looks like the state department wants to avoid Benghazi part two.

Which is nuts when you consider it's already the most heavily fortified embassy in the world and has hundreds of soldiers and local security forces guarding it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Which means if they make the decision to do a full evacuation, it's going to require hundreds of troops to get thousands of people out.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Berke Negri posted:

I'm not convinced this isn't actually a Daily Mail piece.

Or is BBC just that bad now?

Newsbeat is the news service of BBC Radio 1, the radio channel for cool young people. I wouldn't say it is as bad as the DM but they're definitely tailoring their news content to be lighter and more tabloid in style than proper BBC news.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

New Division posted:

Man, watching a parade of the architects of the Iraq war go on TV today to talk about the situation sure was fun. :barf:

the fact that Paul Wolfowitz and Bill Kristol were on two of the three main Sunday talk shows this week is yet the latest sign that the entirety of American news media needs to be shot into the sun

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Which is nuts when you consider it's already the most heavily fortified embassy in the world and has hundreds of soldiers and local security forces guarding it.

When you're talking about the local security, you have to use the term "guarding" really loosely.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Xandu posted:

Which means if they make the decision to do a full evacuation, it's going to require hundreds of troops to get thousands of people out.

Hopefully it doesn't take tens of thousands, perhaps up to a hundred thousand, to fully secure the embassy.

Edit: anyone have any actual information on whether the Kurds and the Iraqi government are fully at odds?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I'm sort of surprised Maliki has not been more visible lately. Guess he's gone into full bunker mode.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Volkerball posted:

When you're talking about the local security, you have to use the term "guarding" really loosely.

Blackwater* keeps offering but no one seems to return their calls.

*Now known as Xe**
**Now known as Academi

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

Actually, while a renewed focus on Islamism was the result of the 67 defeat, the Sunni Shiite Sectarianism developed recently primarily because of the gulf royal backlash against the Iranian Revolution and as a tool of the Ayatollahs to export the revolution to other arab countries.

The Ayatollahs didn't plan on a sectarian divide though. Khomeini wanted to be a leader for both Sunni and Shia Islamist movements, but he failed to achieve that. He did succeed in forming alliances with Sunni Islamic Palestinian groups such as Hamas, Islamic Jihad and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine. The last two are still collaborating with Iran and Syria. I'm not sure when the modern Sunni/Shia conflict started. Maybe it was the Lebanese Civil War. Saddam's repression of Shia's and the outbreak of the Iran-Iraq War certainly played a part. Though far from the Gulf, the Taliban movement and all its supporters are also guilty, as the Taliban started mass murdering Shi'a under the banners of 'pure islam'. Sectarianism began dominating Middle Eastern conflict when countries started to support proxy warfare along sectarian lines.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What might be the biggest events in sunni-shia violence? The Iran-Iraq war? Where does ISIS's recent atrocities place in the running?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Xandu posted:

So you are saying Iraq is turning into Vietraq? :v:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Unranked, but major events:

Iran Iraq War
Iraq civil war post-US invasion (even in the past few years, Shia holidays get attacked regularly)
Pakistan has quite a bit of sectarian conflict in past 15 years or so)
Lebanese civil war
Syria (now, also crackdown in 80s on Muslim Brotherhood)
Yemen's wars on the Houthis (although this is more complicated than simply Sunni vs Shia)

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
So, if the US puts 275 guys into baghdad, who is backing those guys up? I mean, if ISIS wants to stir the pot a bit, those guys are in some trouble.

Are these guys any good?
https://twitter.com/Jihadology_Net

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

blowfish posted:

So you are saying Iraq is turning into Vietraq? :v:

Turning?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Torpor posted:

So, if the US puts 275 guys into baghdad, who is backing those guys up? I mean, if ISIS wants to stir the pot a bit, those guys are in some trouble.

Generally speaking Special Forces are the backup.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Mister Adequate posted:

Generally speaking Special Forces are the backup.

Maybe they will call these guys:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/75575000/jpg/_75575653_022726232-1.jpg

That one dude does appear to have something that looks like a PPsh.

That photo is from this article: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27875053

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Torpor posted:

Are these guys any good?
https://twitter.com/Jihadology_Net

That brings the total combat presence to over 400 in a heavily fortified complex. It's going to take quite a bit, not to mention a string of unlikely successes to even get there, to attempt to overrun that.

They won't ever attempt an assault on that because:
a) ISIS will never get there
b) The value of launching an assault on it is negligible and the cost would be heavy

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

Those guys are just security. They're making sure they can repel an attack on the embassy

Some of them will probably be in contact with the Iraqi government/military and advising them, for what good it will do.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Which is something I've been wondering about. Control of oil fields doesn't automatically equal money unless someone continues to buy the oil coming out of them. Who's looking at this poo poo and saying "well, yeah, they're committing atrocities and drawing the region into even more widespread civil war, but on the other hand, oil"?

The Syrian government. Not even kidding. A lot also probably goes through middlemen.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Which is something I've been wondering about. Control of oil fields doesn't automatically equal money unless someone continues to buy the oil coming out of them. Who's looking at this poo poo and saying "well, yeah, they're committing atrocities and drawing the region into even more widespread civil war, but on the other hand, oil"?

The Syrian government. Not even kidding. A lot also probably goes through middlemen.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

New Division posted:

Those guys are just security. They're making sure they can repel an attack on the embassy

Some of them will probably be in contact with the Iraqi government/military and advising them, for what good it will do.

I wouldn't doubt there's a Global Hawk orbiting overhead right now.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
lets hope ISIS hasn't been sharing notes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3h7LZ5pxGc

Flaky fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Flaky posted:

lets hope ISIS hasn't been sharing notes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3h7LZ5pxGc

We've seen that before - this is the work of sappers - it isn't a field weapon.

That said, urban combat against people with those skills is daunting.

• Locked thread