Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e140616a.html

They aren't quite setting themselves up for the whorehouse, but shareholders just voted not to renew their Takeover Defense. Any company willing to invest in 50% of Capcom's stocks will become the owner of the company/it's stock of IPs.

This could be nothing. Buying Capcom would be an expensive proposition, and very few companies have that kind of capital. They could just continue along making games for the next few years until they get their act together, and stay Capcom. Or Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo could buy them out, grabbing all their IPs/devs in the process. Or a Chinese mobile company could buy them and make every Resident Evil/Street Fighter from this point forward a mobile F2P cash shop game. Who knows! The fact is though that the company hasn't been doing very hot, and this could impact the future of quite a few goon favorite IPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'll take it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

This could be nothing.

This is gonna be a good thread, I can already see.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Someone buy this poo poo and release a line of Mega Man dating sims

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I'll retcon it for a dollar.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I like Capcom, and I hope they make it through this transition okay.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I wonder if we could make enough to buy Capcom under the guise of crowdfunding Mega Man Legends 3.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

I'll retcon it for a dollar.

I would love to see the new owners change a bunch of canon poo poo and watch the nerds cry.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
Goons should buy Capcom and use their resources to finish Zybourne Clock.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Rasmussen posted:

I would love to see the new owners change a bunch of canon poo poo and watch the nerds cry.

Meet Leon 'MegaMan' Kennedy in the hit new interactive experience 'Resident Legends X'!

cindel
Sep 15, 2004

Cooler than Riddick.

Rasmussen posted:

Capcom keeping things canon ever :roflolmao:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Nintendo, crack open that warchest. This is the power-play you've needed for the last twelve years.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

cindel posted:

Capcom keeping things canon ever :roflolmao:

Wesker wearing sunglasses indoors has remained canon since day one, sir. :colbert:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

Nintendo, crack open that warchest. This is the power-play you've needed for the last twelve years.

This would be amazing.

"You said what about our third party support :getin:"

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Nintendo makes a new Mega Man, and fans are excited.

But it's based on Mega Man 2 so Mega Man fans are really mad.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Attention to whoever buys Capcom: please make another Dragon Quarter. Thank you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rookersh posted:

This could be nothing.

Rocketlex posted:

It can be either of these and there's nothing inbetween.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Goon project kickstarter, FINALLY we'll have a publisher for the Zybourne Clock and a PS4 port of The Demon Rush!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Nintendo, please buy them.

Even if Capcom isn't actually for sale, just smash through their front doors and plant your flag in the CEO's office.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Vermain posted:

Attention to whoever buys Capcom: please make another Dragon Quarter. Thank you.

:smith::respek::smith:

Keep the dream alive...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
What if Nintendo buys them and they put the Dragon's Dogma team to work on a new Ice Climbers
Climbin' mountains, climbin' monsters, making new coats with super tiger fur, using dragon fangs for pickaxes and all that stuff!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm hot and horny

my nipples are rockets, my vagina a yawning crevice

i'm ready boyz

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The actual new Ice Climbers is Lost Planet style, you know this to be true.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I can't think of a single Capcom game that has done pretty well these days.

By the way, I hope the same happens to Konami, and a cool guy buys it so I can get contra all day all night, I want contra in my mouth.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Fargin Icehole posted:

Street Fighter and Dead Rising tend to do okay, and people still like Mega Man even if there haven't been any stellar releases for him lately.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Resident Evil Revelations did good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

The actual new Ice Climbers is Lost Planet style, you know this to be true.
Yeah but which Lost Planet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rocketlex posted:

Street Fighter and Dead Rising tend to do okay, and people still like Mega Man even if there haven't been any stellar releases for him lately.

Understatement of the century. Mega Man's been dead for a while. They spite killed all three upcoming Mega Man games like the week Inafune left the company in October 2010. And after that all that came out is the mobile social game Rockman Xover and the embarrassing Mega Man X remake for iOS and Android. :(

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Fargin Icehole posted:

Monster Hunter rivals goddamn Pokemon in popularity in Japan. That's probably the biggest franchise at stake if someone does do a buy out.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

At the current market cap for Capcom it would be somewhere north of $500m to get over 50% of the shares, assuming there's that many sellers.

I don't think anybody will be doing that any time soon.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully Nintendo does buy them up. That would be cool. Get Nintendo some more people with experience making 360/PS3 games so they'll hopefully have an actually decent online experience.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Suspicious Cook posted:

Nintendo, please buy them.

Even if Capcom isn't actually for sale, just smash through their front doors and plant your flag in the CEO's office.

Reggie and Iwata go through all of Capcom headquarters Streets of Rage style in a hostile takeover.

EDIT: Seriously though Capcom is still HUGE. Nintendo isn't buying them.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

E: I sound like a shithead.

MegaMan needs a new home and now is a great time for it. Just cast him away like you know you want to, Capcom.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 17, 2014

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Yeah, Capcom going for sale was in line with Abenomics this week deciding to make many cross holding & pension fund "silent vows" illegal, which were traditionally the biggest malaise affecting JPY stocks since 1987. A good example of this was when Sony was being suggested to sell the TV poo poo-unit and spinout Sony Media a year ago by Dan Loeb.

Problem is most of Capcom's IP's are and have proven to sell for poo poo in the last 2 console cycles unless niche products to small markets (ie: mega man library vs. say, Mario or the Halo IP that Microsoft paid for).

Also, unless you are a company like EA or ATVI which have a really good paper to trade in the market, many studios and even media conglomerates like WB & Dreamworks are very short on cash right now, making a big premium vs. your own internal projects like ATVI's Destiny (hi2u: 1Billion dollar video game boondoggle!) not really compelling.

Either the company gets picked up by a vulture gameco like Nexion or it will sit and languish like Midway or THQ where those who REALLY NEED to have Megaman or DMC in their library will just wait it out until a few stink bids get actually considered by the Board.

Sad, but old game IP's just don't sell these days. Much like old movie catalogs (see the Lions Gate fiasco that ran on from 2009 to 2012).

TLDR: Hal's an idiot.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
This means more megaman now?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It will never mean more Megaman, if anything it will mean less.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Beef Waifu posted:

It will never mean more Megaman, if anything it will mean less.

But will it mean more Monster Hunter then?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It means more Dark Void.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Beef Waifu posted:

It means more Dark Void.

Then all is truly lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Wait their tactica for shagging the poo poo out of the consumers with on-disk DLC isn't working? This is truly a tragedy for the game's industry. :smug:

Sony would probably pick them up. PS4 needs good exclusives, and they're a large enough company to be easily able to afford Capcom and more importantly access to their studios and huge IP collection.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 17, 2014

• Locked thread