Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DrNutt posted:

:thumbsup: Right back at you. I just think that in addressing a lot of the criticisms of the first game, BioWare chucked the baby out with the bathwater, and on top of that burned down the nursery and the rest of the house.

drat, you're right that is a good analogy and definitely not an unbelievably overblown account of the significance of overheating guns.

(Noooobody caaaares)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

DrNutt posted:

:thumbsup: Right back at you. I just think that in addressing a lot of the criticisms of the first game, BioWare chucked the baby out with the bathwater, and on top of that burned down the nursery and the rest of the house.

I too enjoyed the inventory system, mini games and mako controls

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DrNutt posted:

Adding ammo isn't what made the combat functional in 2 and 3, hth.

It isn't the sole reason, but I think it was a reasonable improvement, as it disincentivised staying in the same place for too long.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I'm really glad a video game's changed ammo system has been compared to burning down a nursery

really, really glad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rollofthedice posted:

I'm really glad a video game's changed ammo system has been compared to burning down a nursery

really, really glad

It's extremely good poo poo, OP.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Spikeguy posted:

So IGN just posted an article called the 13 best Mass Effect moments. And they posted a video to go along with it. In it, the writer states that Mass Effect is one of the best stories told in the video game medium and lists why. And this got me wondering. There seems to be a disconnect between the posters in this forum (and that may be extended to the internet in general, but I'm not as familiar with other forums), and video game journalists over the importance/quality of Mass Effect/Bioware games. I wonder if this is caused by the echo chamber effect (which can be found in both groups). For me, I've never disliked any Bioware game, and I use that experience to color my judgements. But I'm always interested in other points of view.

Mass Effect 1 was great for its time but has aged to something merely 'good'. Mass Effect 2 remains the best in the series. Mass Effect 3 was about half and half - everything after Tuchanka nose dives in quality and there's a rather extensive amount of retcons and general plot and lore weirdness. Mass Effect 3 was the result of hubris on the part of Hudson and Walters, so, it'll be interesting to see if Bioware has learned anything from that.

Given that Bioware has said that Dragon Age: Inquisition will have 'over forty main endings', it's pretty clear that they haven't. Strangely enough, people don't automatically treat claims like that skeptically despite Hudson's quote that ME3 wouldn't have a simple A, B or C ending literally a month prior to release.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Milky Moor posted:

Mass Effect 1 was great for its time but has aged to something merely 'good'. Mass Effect 2 remains the best in the series. Mass Effect 3 was about half and half - everything after Tuchanka nose dives in quality and there's a rather extensive amount of retcons and general plot and lore weirdness. Mass Effect 3 was the result of hubris on the part of Hudson and Walters, so, it'll be interesting to see if Bioware has learned anything from that.

Given that Bioware has said that Dragon Age: Inquisition will have 'over forty main endings', it's pretty clear that they haven't. Strangely enough, people don't automatically treat claims like that skeptically despite Hudson's quote that ME3 wouldn't have a simple A, B or C ending literally a month prior to release.

P. sure they walked back the "40 different endings" bit -- I think they said it was a few endings with 40 variations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

I didn't know he said that and I am suddenly extremely skeptical.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dragon Age Inquisition is going to be bad for sure.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

I didn't know he said that and I am suddenly extremely skeptical.

quote:

GAMEINFORMER: "With the ending in Mass Effect 2, there were so many different variables and possibilities for the outcome and what could happen. As players reached the end, they started comparing notes and trying to figure out how it worked. A few months after it came out, we ran a chart in the magazine that showed the layout of how to get the different endings and how things happened. Is that same type of complexity built into the ending of Mass Effect 3?"

HUDSON: "Yeah, and I’d say much more so, because we have the ability to build the endings out in a way that we don’t have to worry about eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we’re taking into account so many decisions that you’ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.

It’s more like there are some really obvious things that are different and then lots and lots of smaller things, lots of things about who lives and who dies, civilizations that rose and fell, all the way down to individual characters. That becomes the state of where you left your galaxy. The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them. It would be interesting to see if somebody could put together a chart for that."

Oh yeah, he said it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Oh yeah, he said it.
No, I didn't know he claimed that DA:I would have 40 endings. Already knew about the ABC thing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

P. sure they walked back the "40 different endings" bit -- I think they said it was a few endings with 40 variations.

I just looked into this. It's still a bit grandiose.

quote:

Hey guys,
I just want to clarify the endings in Dragon Age: Inquisition
Dragon Age Inquisition's endings variations come in three levels
1. Minor variations based upon choices you make in the game or previous games. There are HUNDREDS of these variations.
2. Major variations based upon larger decisions in the game. There are about forty of these
3. Completely unique endings. There are a small number of these

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/16/dragon-age-executive-producer-clarifies-40-major-endings-comment/

quote:

Dragon Age: Inquisition producer Cameron Lee tweeted last week that the game will offer "40 major endings," each spiced with additional player-dependent variations. That's a serious cornucopia of endings, and a stark contrast to that other big BioWare RPG franchise that wrapped up on a somewhat less variable note. But BioWare's Mark Darrah stepped in shortly thereafter to clarify that 40 "major" endings does not mean 40 "unique" endings.

It's tricky to nail down exactly what constitutes a "major ending," but given the lingering anger over the end of the Mass Effect trilogy, Darrah, the executive producer on the Dragon Age franchise, fired off a tweet of his own to clarify the statement and, presumably, temper expectations.

the tweet by Darrah says:

Mark Darrah posted:

Ending clarification:
Most endings are major variations based upon your choices in the game. There are only a few completely unique endings

I wouldn't put too much stock in tweets, myself.

EDIT: The post above has better info. Bioware needs to work on hype quality control, 'cause trotting out ME3-style bullshit seems to be a recurring theme for them. There are ways of advertising a product that don't set off alarm bells.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 17, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Pattonesque posted:

I liken it to CDR saying Witcher 2 has 16 endings. I would say it's actually 3 with variations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
let's not forget Fallout 3, jesus christ

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I'm guessing there are somewhere between one and three ending cutscenes followed by a slideshow with the broad images/epilogue text set by the major decisions and maybe some minor variations in the details based on smaller ones.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Slideshow endings suck, but they're the best we've got.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They're fine for the Fallout games, or any game where the game world is broken up into somewhat self-contained areas with their own little narratives, but not for something with a huge, epic, overarching storyline like, say, most fantasy games.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I'd argue that ME3's ending never needed a slideshow epilogue and the EC ended up proving me correct in that regard, despite the Synthesized Krogan and the baby Krogan slides inadvertently being the funniest parts of the whole game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Something not a million miles away from a Fallout slideshow was used to end every season of The Wire. The slideshow is a legitimate artform :colbert:

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Comparing Mass Effect/Fallout to The Wire is a slightly unfair comparison, as the latter makes the former look like complete dogshit.

e: "No offense son, but that's some weakass thinking. You equivocating like a motherfucker."

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 17, 2014

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Slideshow in a non-interactive medium vs. slideshow in an interactive medium.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
My biggest problem with the ending of FO3 was the insanely contrived ending where you couldn't send a radiation immune friend into the room full of radiation. At least put in some reason why your follower isn't available, like they say they'll stay and hold off something or another, making them too far to get before poo poo hits the fan.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Obviously what we need is an interactive slideshow

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Elysiume posted:

My biggest problem with the ending of FO3 was the insanely contrived ending where you couldn't send a radiation immune friend into the room full of radiation. At least put in some reason why your follower isn't available, like they say they'll stay and hold off something or another, making them too far to get before poo poo hits the fan.

You have to pay the toll to think outside the designed box, friend.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dan Didio posted:

Yes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Mass Effect is way better than The Wire. It's not even fair to compare the two. True, one is a TV show that is roughly 60 hours long while the other is an interactive story of roughly the same length. But The Wire is extremely overrated. Mass Effect changed video gaming.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Widestancer posted:

I too enjoyed the inventory system, mini games and mako controls
All of which were things that could have been fixed, not jettisoned completely like Bioware ended up doing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

Mass Effect is way better than The Wire. It's not even fair to compare the two. True, one is a TV show that is roughly 60 hours long while the other is an interactive story of roughly the same length. But The Wire is extremely overrated. Mass Effect changed video gaming.

Where on the bioware forums did you find this?

Dan Didio posted:

Slideshow endings suck, but they're the best we've got.

Yes. No.

CPFortest posted:

I'd argue that ME3's ending never needed a slideshow epilogue and the EC ended up proving me correct in that regard, despite the Synthesized Krogan and the baby Krogan slides inadvertently being the funniest parts of the whole game.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
A slideshow-like ending worked just fine for Apollo 13. :colbert:

Granted, Apollo 13 is better than most things and also deals with (mostly) matters of historical fact, but still.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ammochat: Guns use Ammo ~Thermal Clips~ but when those run out they default back to the ME1 system.

Also: :sicknasty:Biotic Charge:shepface::hf::shepicide:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Zedd posted:

Ammochat: Guns use Ammo ~Thermal Clips~ but when those run out they default back to the ME1 system.

Also: :sicknasty:Biotic Charge:shepface::hf::shepicide:

Additionally, security companies got really loving lax, and you can once again use omnigel to hack doors open.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't like how the ammo system added a 'run around the room to stock up' step to the end of every encounter. Ruins the pacing.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Just finished ME1 again. Good god that was a dull slog of a game.

I think I've played ME3 too much, ME2's combat feels so clunky in comparison. I miss my Nova and my biotic punt. :saddowns:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 17, 2014

Veotax
May 16, 2006

sassassin posted:

I don't like how the ammo system added a 'run around the room to stock up' step to the end of every encounter. Ruins the pacing.

Eh, that's about the same as how I played ME1. Clear a room and then run around looking for loot containers.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Veotax posted:

Eh, that's about the same as how I played ME1. Clear a room and then run around looking for loot containers.

ME1 Protip: Never open containers! By ignoring them you save time and prevent the inventory system from driving you completely mental.

There's almost never anything good in them anyway.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Well, once every 500 containers or so, you might, just might, get a loving amp/tool upgrade.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
XP, though.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Well, once every 500 containers or so, you might, just might, get a loving amp/tool upgrade.

Wetware kits will always have a tool/amp in them if I'm not mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, but those are goddamn rare as poo poo.

Also, for some reason, last time I played (as engineer), I saw a ton of amps before I saw a single tool. I think I finally got a goddamn upgrade on Virmire, or something.

• Locked thread