Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Josh Nesbitt running flexbone owned a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Looking up old Big Ten stats has taught me that Sports Reference thinks Ricky Stanzi and Richard Stanzi are two different people who happened to have completely identical stats every year. It would be funnier if they gave Richard credit for all the good plays and Ricky credit for all those times he hit a defensive back perfectly in stride.

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

MourningView posted:

Michael Robinson was a lovely passer and okay runner that Penn State fans managed to build into a Heisman contender because WINS.

I was 10 years old and had a Lavar jersey and wore it every Saturday. Stop ruining my memories. Plus he's a cool dude and is well liked in the NFL.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Michael Robinson had all the great unmeasureable talents that would have made him a darling of the NFL pregame shows if he wasn't terrible at throwing the football most of the time.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

Slate Action posted:

Yearly completion percentage of starting Georgia Tech quarterbacks:
(listed by who passed for the most yards in each season)

--------------------------------------- Installation of Triple Option offense
2008 - Joshua Nesbitt - 43.9%
2009 - Joshua Nesbitt - 46.3%
2010 - Joshua Nesbitt - 37.1%
2011 - Tevin Washington - 49.3%
2012 - Tevin Washington - 56.4%
2013 - Vad Lee - 45.6%

To stress how bad Todd Granthams' defense is, GT had us bent over a barrel 20-0 by mid 2nd quarter and it took overtime for us to win (Mr Gurley accounted for EVERY play in OT).

Vad Lee passed for 2 TD's and 232 yards.

Again...wtf Louisville?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

Looking up old Big Ten stats has taught me that Sports Reference thinks Ricky Stanzi and Richard Stanzi are two different people who happened to have completely identical stats every year. It would be funnier if they gave Richard credit for all the good plays and Ricky credit for all those times he hit a defensive back perfectly in stride.

If Iowa had two identical Stanzis, they could have made it out of Evanston.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

If Iowa had two identical Stanzis, they could have made it out of Evanston.

The undefeated season ended in Iowa City, sadly. I was there. Saddest walk home ever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

Penn State: Penn Live is reporting that Dave Joyner will soon resign from the AD position.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

vyst posted:

This kind of owns in a way.

Yeah he should take some cinema classes, probably.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

Michael Robinson was a lovely passer and okay runner that Penn State fans managed to build into a Heisman contender because WINS.

Michael Roninson owns and I won't have my memories challenged like that :mad:

Hmmmmm

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Slate Action posted:

Yearly completion percentage of starting Georgia Tech quarterbacks:
(listed by who passed for the most yards in each season)

2004 - Reggie Ball - 49.7%
2005 - Reggie Ball - 47.9%
2006 - Reggie Ball - 44.4%
2007 - Taylor Bennett - 49.5%
--------------------------------------- Installation of Triple Option offense
2008 - Joshua Nesbitt - 43.9%
2009 - Joshua Nesbitt - 46.3%
2010 - Joshua Nesbitt - 37.1%
2011 - Tevin Washington - 49.3%
2012 - Tevin Washington - 56.4%
2013 - Vad Lee - 45.6%

~*~Reggie Ball Never Forget~*~

Literally Had Megatron

Qwijib0 posted:

WSU flag makes its world cup appearance.

Not only possibly but in fact likely Wheez

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Guess where Michael Robinson finished in the Big Ten (THE BIG TEN!!!!!) in passer rating the year he finished fifth in the Heisman voting. Did you guess like fifth? That would be pretty bad so I don't blame you but WRONG! 8th. He was the 8th most efficient passer in a conference that is famous for being super lovely at passing the football. This was lower than Minnesota Golden Gopher's Legend Brian Cupito and Chad Henne back when he was so bad that MGoBlog made up an imaginary 10 foot tall reciever named Tacopants to explain why his passes were so far off target. He did manage to beat out almost certainly fictional Indiana QB Blake Powers so I guess good going, Mike.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 18, 2014

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
UConn started this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0WMd0Y6hIw

And he wasn't even the worst we had.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

Guess where Michael Robinson finished in the Big Ten (THE BIG TEN!!!!!) in passer rating the year he finished fifth in the Heisman voting. Did you guess like fifth? That would be pretty bad so I don't blame you but WRONG! 8th. He was the 8th most efficient passer in a conference that is famous for being super lovely at passing the football. This was lower than Minnesota Golden Gopher's Legend Brian Cupito and Chad Henne back when he was so bad that MGoBlog made up an imaginary 10 foot tall reciever named Tacopants to explain why his passes were so far off target. He did manage to beat out almost certainly fictional Indiana QB Blake Powers so I guess good going, Mike.

He was also eighth in rushing yards!

Fifth in TDs but also third in total offense, which adds up to eight.

He was Big Ten Offensive POY so that's probably why he got charity Heisman votes. He got literally 0.9% of all the Heisman votes. That's down there with DeAngelo Williams and Drew Olsen (who I forgot existed).

Sash! fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 18, 2014

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

McGloin, Hackenberg, Clark, Robinson, Mills, Morelli who sucked but sucked less than most, the rest, a deranged chicken me, a kid in a wheelchair, Bolden

I think you have to evaluate McGloin as two individuals, pre and post O'Brien. 2012 McGloin is the best on the list (to be surpassed by Hack this year), but 2010 and 2011 McGloin is worse than Morelli.

And yeah, Robinson was not a good passer. But he loving knocked a safety out!

Komet fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 18, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

He was Big Ten Offensive POY so that's probably why he got charity Heisman votes

Yeah but that was crazy! Troy Smith was way better. Tyrell Sutton was way better. Brian Calhoun was way better. poo poo Brett Basanez was probably at least as good all things considered. That's multiple Northwestern Wildcats

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

Yeah but that was crazy! Troy Smith was way better. Tyrell Sutton was way better. Brian Calhoun was way better. poo poo Brett Basanez was probably at least as good all things considered. That's multiple Northwestern Wildcats

I just see a bunch of names of guys that lost to Penn State.

Robinson did have more total yards and yards per game than Smith though. Like...40 of 'em!

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Sash! posted:

I just see a bunch of names of guys that lost to Penn State.

Robinson did have more total yards and yards per game than Smith though. Like...40 of 'em!

I'm fairly certain Penn State didn't win a game that year, or any year for about a 14 year period.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

korrandark posted:

I'm fairly certain Penn State didn't win a game that year, or any year for about a 14 year period.

They still lost.

Just like Reggie Bush didn't win the Heisman any more, but it doesn't mean Vince Young did.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

My favorite Northwestern quarterback was the spunky, undersized guy who ran around and threw really accurate passes in a goofy video game spread offense.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
This may just be OSU fan ignorance, but isn't it kind of ridiculous to put Hackenberg ahead of Daryll Clark already. Clark ran legitimately the best PSU offense I ever watched and was easily the most dynamic QB. I would even argue him over senior McGloin for you guys just for the dual threat and the results he got. He gave way more options to that offense than anyone I can remember PSU having.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

They still lost.

Just like Reggie Bush didn't win the Heisman any more, but it doesn't mean Vince Young did.

One day that Heisman will make its way to its rightful owner.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

From what I hear, the 5-Points area is like the loving wild west these days... so carry some heat. It's pretty much the drunk college student part of town if you have any interest in that. "The Vista" is more of the young professional scene with slightly more upscale bars. I haven't spent much time in Columbia since I moved away for college 15 years ago... So others with more recent experience should chime in as well.

Scarf is pretty much right on about this -- Five Points is the college-y part of Columbia, while the Vista is more upscale and not nearly as sloppy. Five Points has also come under a lot of scrutiny lately for violent crime, so there's that! Personally, I love the Art Bar in the Vista -- it's a very interesting and counter-cultural kind of crowd, if you're into that. Otherwise, I tend to hit up Sharky's, Group Therapy, or Dr. Rocco's in Five Points.

As for food, Groucho's Deli (Five Points), Sammy's Deli (USC campus), Gourmet Shop (Five Points), and California Dreaming (USC campus) are probably my favorites. (California Dreaming is also right next to Green's, which is an awesomely huge alcohol warehouse.) Hunter-Gatherer and The Publick House are solid watering holes that aren't too fratty (both are in/near Five Points; if you want to hit up the place where most USC football players have gotten in trouble, try Pavlov's, which is in the same neighborhood). Maurice's BBQ is probably the BBQ joint of record in Columbia, but it was also owned and operated by an incredibly vocal racist until his recent death, so...maybe avoid that one if you can help it.

I'm admittedly pretty ignorant on which hotels are the best, since I lived in Columbia for about a decade and never had to bother with that. There are some very expensive inns on/near the USC campus, but there's a Marriott on Assembly Street that's close-ish to the stadium and hopefully not too pricey. If you don't mind some exercise, you'll only pay $10 for parking at the most, and if you park far enough down the street, it's free (I always go for the public parking spots by the Swearingen engineering building/The Lofts apartment complex). It just depends on your tolerance for walking, really.

mmmjstone
Sep 22, 2004

titty whiskey
Green's and I already are very well acquainted.

Thanks for the info :)

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I forgot about Reggie Ball. He's the worst. Sometimes you get guys like Donnie Nickey that are horrible yet start for four years for some reason. Nobody would ever do that for a quarterback. Nick Sheridan types seem to be a one year stopgap until you can find any other option, but not Reggie Ball. He gets bonus points for being horrible while having the best WR in a generation on his college team.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo

ESPN posted:

An Oklahoma State football player was stabbed, robbed and abducted Monday, the Stillwater Police have confirmed.

Cameron Hunter, a walk-on wide receiver for the Cowboys, has been identified as the victim, his high school coach confirmed to ESPN.com.

John Walsh, who coached Hunter at Denton Guyer (Texas), told ESPN.com in a text message that Hunter is "already home" and is "doing fine" following the incident.

Stillwater Police did not release the identity of the victim earlier Tuesday. Stillwater Police Capt. Randy Dickerson said there is a suspect, but no arrest has been made.

Dickerson said the victim was stabbed, pulled into a hunter green pickup truck and robbed around 5:30 p.m. Monday. Dickerson said the victim was later dumped at another location in Stillwater with a puncture wound to his abdomen and laceration to his right arm. He was taken to the hospital, was treated and released.

:stare:

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
So ESPN's Brett McMurphy just reported that the St. Petersburg Bowl has a new title sponsor:

quote:

Bitcoin St. Petersburg Bowl is new name of St. Pete Bowl, source told @espn

There's a logo and a Twitter account (https://twitter.com/BitcoinBowl):

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Groucho Marxist posted:

Josh Nesbitt running flexbone owned a lot

Oh, I Agree. Shame about his passing though.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 18, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Oh my god the Bitcoin Bowl rules

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SporkOfTruth posted:

So ESPN's Brett McMurphy just reported that the St. Petersburg Bowl has a new title sponsor:

They replaced the dumbest bowl name (Beef'O'Brady's) with an even dumber one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

Oh my god the Bitcoin Bowl rules

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Congrats on getting to the Bitcoin Bowl fellas, here's your complimentary grab bags.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Congrats on getting to the Bitcoin Bowl fellas, here's your complimentary grab bags.

All the fedoras and copies of atlas shrugged you can carry!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

SporkOfTruth posted:

RIP Beef O'Brady's bowl :smith:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Guys I live in Tampa/St. Pete should I go to the bowl this year and capture action (or no action) shots of "bitcoinners"?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

*Tries to buy bowl tickets in bitcoin.

*fails

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The fun new feature of the bitcoin bowl will be that at a random moment in the 2nd half the stadium collapses.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Deteriorata posted:

The fun new feature of the bitcoin bowl will be that at a random moment in the 2nd half the stadium collapses.

Notre Dame/Ohio State for the Bitcoin Bowl

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

wa27 posted:

They replaced the dumbest bowl name (Beef'O'Brady's) with an even dumber one.

You're right, should have been dogecoin, everyone knows that is the supreme cryptocurrancy :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Halftime show is a 2.5 hour DOTA match.

• Locked thread