Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Innocent until proven guilty.

I've stayed out of this fracas so far, but I have to ask: have you ever considered a career in nuclear reactor shielding? Because this is one of the most appalling dense things I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

There was a thread about it.

It was a good thread.

Jesus Christ

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I've stayed out of this fracas so far, but I have to ask: have you ever considered a career in nuclear reactor shielding? Because this is one of the most appalling dense things I've ever heard.

Hey now, we should all remember that according the totally non partisan judges ruling on republicans getting caught violating what little remains if campaign finance laws

quote:

The plaintiffs have found a way to circumvent campaign finance laws, and that circumvention should not and cannot be condemned or restricted. Instead, it should be recognized as promoting political speech, an activity that is ingrained in our culture.

quote:

"This is not a recognition that quid pro quo corruption is the only source of corruption in our political system or that issue advocacy money could not be used for some corrupting purpose. Rather, the larger danger is giving government an expanded role in uprooting all forms of perceived corruption which may result in corruption of the First Amendment itself. … As other histories tell us, attempts to purify the public square lead to places like the Guillotine and the Gulag."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/judge-shuts-down-wisconsin-john-doe

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

hangedman1984 posted:

Isn't Slenderman the goon answer to Slenderman? He was made up by a goon wasn't he?
Yeah, I meant in terms of morphology. As someone pointed out in one of the many Slenderman threads, of course he's the ultimate goon nightmare - he's thin, clean-shaven and wears a suit everywhere. The clear answer to that is a hulking, slovenly, poorly manicured oaf who smells of bacon.

hobbesmaster posted:

Eisenhower sent advisors.

This poses the question: Can the US take the roles of both the French and the US in a Vietnam analogy?
The least understood part of America's disastrous military intervention in Southeast Asia - it starts with the end of WW II.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

:iceburn:

As a Nuclear Engineer, I love you so much for this joke and I'm absolutely stealing it.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Fried Chicken posted:

we had the news break just earlier today about evidence if coordinating and your response is "nope not happening!"

Which is being investigated.

quote:

they have an easier time raising money because they are selling access to power they currently have, not potential power in the future

They have an easier time raising money because they have a machine already in place. They have franking privileges, they have name recognition, they have the inherent publicity of being in Congress, etc.

quote:

a power grant that restore things prior to 1971

Correct, it would make the parade of horribles I listed earlier come true. It would give Congress power that it's never really tried to use without being slapped down before.

quote:

and yet the corrupt practices law was struck down post CU rather than being one of those always narrowly interpreted laws like you are claiming

The point is that those earlier laws barely did anything. The campaign finance party didn't start in earnest until 1971. It's not surprising they didn't get slapped down until then.

quote:

because you use a federal statute that ties states adopting the federal standards as a bare minimum and tie it to funding, same as we have done everything from highway laws to the Medicaid expansion

Funding for what?

quote:

i can't decide if you pretending that the voters really do support the things the plutocrats want is adorable in its desperation or idiotic in its time wasting.
West Virginian voters are not making a rational choice to void safety regulations in chemical storage, the choice has been stripped from them from the corruption of the practices of the money.

Freedom Industries was fined and went bankrupt. Not sure what you think the giant miscarriage of justice was.

quote:

Because the law didn't have a millionaires provision, it had public subsidies rather than limits on private contributions. And Minnesota's public financing was struck down by the court of appeals in 1994.

Yes it did. It provided unequal public financing in response to an opponent's excess spending.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Freedom Industries was fined and went bankrupt. Not sure what you think the giant miscarriage of justice was.

They declared bankruptcy so they could get out of any and all responsibility for it. What is wrong with you?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Alter Ego posted:

Malia Obama in 2036 :colbert:

(I unironically want at least one of his daughters to go into politics, because the shrieking and wailing from the right would be amplified a thousandfold)

I'm really hoping that Obama gets a spot on the Supreme Court. Just imagine it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can he replace Clarence T-dog? That would be exquisite.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Pelosi gets Scalia
Obama gets Clarence

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

FilthyImp posted:

I would prefer Scalia just for the HAHAHA factor.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Pelosi gets Scalia
Obama gets Clarence
Pelosi is a Congressional lifer. Obama on the Supreme Court would be amazing though.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

On Terra Firma posted:

They declared bankruptcy so they could get out of any and all responsibility for it. What is wrong with you?

He's a genuinely terrible person who has nothing better to do than troll D&D. It's a shame that Labrador lost his bid, he'd have been a hilarious Majority Leader.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Obama as a justice would finally allow the poor guy to be clear; finally, his time for delivering tens of pages of opinion will come.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

On Terra Firma posted:

That's not how bankruptcy works. All the assets are sold to the creditors (like their victims), new financing is found to continue the business, and the owners lose everything.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Internet Webguy posted:

While the discussion has been interesting on the last few pages, history has been made today as Texas state commissioners voted in favor of reparations.

Happy Juneteenth Day, everybody!

Ha ha. So what's the next step?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

effectual posted:

Ha ha. So what's the next step?

Backpedal like crazy.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

That's not how bankruptcy works. All the assets are sold to the creditors (like their victims), new financing is found to continue the business, and the owners lose everything.

Oh yes, surely that is what happened, and in no way whatsoever did the owners sneak as much of their assets out of the original company as possible, found another that is functionally identical after taking some minor symbolic hits, and continue with business as loving usual.

quote:

Freedom Industries, the company whose licorice-smelling chemical leak contaminated the tap water of 300,000 West Virginians, will cease to exist once it goes through bankruptcy, but that doesn’t mean its executives are out of the chemical business.

Lexycon, LLC, a chemical company whose characteristics are strikingly similar to Freedom Industries, registered as a business with the West Virginia secretary of state about a month ago.

Although there is no official affiliation between the two companies, they share addresses and phone numbers and Lexycon has ties to at least three current or former Freedom executives.

The companies’ descriptions of their businesses match, almost verbatim.

This is how Freedom Industries describes itself on its website: “Freedom Industries is a full service producer of specialty chemicals for the mining, steel and cement industries. Founded in 1986 and located in Charleston, West Virginia, Freedom Industries is a leading producer of freeze conditioning agents, dust control palliatives, flotation reagents, water treatment polymers and other specialty chemicals.”

Lexycon’s website does not appear to be complete, it had at least two broken links as of Wednesday afternoon. But the company is currently an exhibitor at Coal Prep, an annual conference of coal processors, held this year in Lexington, Kentucky.

This is how Lexycon describes itself on the Coal Prep website: “Lexycon LLC is a full service producer of specialty chemicals for the mining, steel and cement industries. Founded in 2013 with facilities located in Charleston,West Virginia, Lexycon is a leading producer of freeze conditioning agents, dust control palliatives, flotation reagents, water treatment polymers and other specialty chemicals.”
- See more at: http://www.wvgazette.com/article/20140430/GZ01/140439952#sthash.D3F8ludh.dpuf

But I'm sure I'm just imagining things here, of course. None of this skullduggery must have happened. I am not being sarcastic. You are not an idiot.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 19, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ransack a company of its assets, declare bankruptcy, and start a new, functionally identical one? I call that "pulling a Trump".

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Oh yes, surely that is what happened, and in no way whatsoever did the owners sneak as much of their assets out of the original company, found another that is functionally identical after taking some minor symbolic hits, and continue with business as loving usual.

But I'm sure I'm just imagining things here, surely. None of this skullduggery must have happened. I am not being sarcastic. You are not an idiot.

Yeah, anyone who believes that companies who declare bankruptcy in situations like that actually end up paying anything or having their assets touched in any way is extremely naive. They have way too many ways to funnel stuff out of the company into another identical company.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ufarn posted:

Yeah, thank god for the death of a potential Cheney dynasty.

Clinton and Bush is more than enough.

Can we count the Clintons as a dynasty if it's just husband and wife?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalman posted:

If the Kochs didn't donate to Walker he'd still be taking their calls, because they agree politically and the Kochs have influence with a lot of people. Conversely, if I gave 3 million to Walker he wouldn't listen to word one because he is never going to advocate for single payer health care no matter how much money I give him and I can't influence other people who may be helpful to him.

It's not as simple as you make it out to be - people listen to people who give them money, but they're also only really getting money from people they'd be inclined to listen to anyway.

Except Walker would like another 3 million from you and as such he would in fact take your call. He just wouldn't give two shits about what you're requesting and all you'd get are empty promises at best.

Fried Chicken posted:

Votes wrapping up. McCarty just won majority leader

I thought his last name was McCarthy? I really want some McCarthyism 2.0 because the GOP isn't insane enough yet.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That, and much like fellow war criminal Donald Rumsfeld, I'm pretty certain that Cheney genuinely feels he needs to redeem the Iraq debacle and through it his own reputation. Was it him or his only-slightly-less-horrible daughter Liz, that said how awful it would be if Dick ended up branded as the American Pinochet?

Incidentally, if I ever write a Cheney biography, guess what subtitle I'm going with?

Dick Cheney: Undead and Loving It?

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey now, we should all remember that according the totally non partisan judges ruling on republicans getting caught violating what little remains if campaign finance laws

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/judge-shuts-down-wisconsin-john-doe

Can't wait for the appeals that send this to the SCOTUS so Roberts can lead a 5-4 ruling on why this was totally ok and gently caress you Democrats people need to just get along.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

IIRC, the Speaker of the House doesn't have to be a member of congress. So unless his two terms would rule him out, you could have a Speaker Obama running the House in 2017.

Neither will happen though.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

God no.

Filing for bankruptcy blocks the victims from filing suits. Bankruptcy code forbids filing a lawsuit against someone who has filed for bankruptcy. It then filed for a debtor-in-possession, which allows it to get a loan from someone to continue operations for now. The creditor for the DIP also gets first priority over other creditors because they took a risk. Freedom was able to get such a loan from a pair of companies called mountaineer Funding and VF Funding. So payments to those creditors are delayed indefinitely until those two companies are paid, and no lawsuits can be filed by those harmed

Now comes the fun part:
Freedom industries is owned by chemstream holdings. Chemstream holdings has the exact same street address as a company called Rosebud Mining. Which is kinda interesting. More interesting is this, Rosebud Mining owns two mineral financing companies you may have heard of - VF Funding and Mountaineer Funding.

Further, Rosebud and Chemstream are owned by the same person - j Clifford Forrest.

So one guy owns the shells that own the fronts. He poisoned 9 counties, them had one front declare bankruptcy to block lawsuits, them transferred money from a pair of fronts from a different shell to block creditor claims. Then he sold most of the assets to another front they own called Lexycon

So he lost nothing and blocked any claims of restitution by any injured party or creditor, and actually made a little by selling the Freedom Industries assets he didn't transfer

Ain't being rich awesome?

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 19, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dick Cheney: Undead and Loving It?

Seriously, you guys have great ideas but I thought I'd telegraphed pretty clearly that I was going with "Dick Cheney: American Pinochet" both because it fits and also he wouldn't like it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

elhondo posted:

Jesus Christ

if you can't see how trying A solution is better than trying NO solution, then whatever man, don't come crying to me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah, anyone who believes that companies who declare bankruptcy in situations like that actually end up paying anything or having their assets touched in any way is extremely naive. They have way too many ways to funnel stuff out of the company into another identical company.

It depends on how hard the creditors pursue things. Those shenanigans don't always work.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Seriously, you guys have great ideas but I thought I'd telegraphed pretty clearly that I was going with "Dick Cheney: American Pinochet" both because it fits and also he wouldn't like it.

A sort of symbolic sequel to Manchester's American Caesar: Douglas MacArthur, 1880-1964, if you will. Which is also the title of an Iggy Pop album. Both are worth your time.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

It depends on how hard the creditors pursue things. Those shenanigans don't always work.

So it only works when your creditors have less money than you do, that's a great way to run things, no nothing wrong with that at all.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, I meant in terms of morphology. As someone pointed out in one of the many Slenderman threads, of course he's the ultimate goon nightmare - he's thin, clean-shaven and wears a suit everywhere. The clear answer to that is a hulking, slovenly, poorly manicured oaf who smells of bacon.

ZerglingMinor was a saint.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

kelvron posted:

ZerglingMinor was a saint.
I was just about to ask who came up with that because it's hilarious.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I knew nobody involved in the upper management would face any kind of penalty at all but I figured they'd at least need to sell the poo poo to a friend of theirs instead of themselves. Isn't the free market great. :allears:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

God no.

Filing for bankruptcy blocks the victims from filing suits. Bankruptcy code forbids filing a lawsuit against someone who has filed for bankruptcy. It then filed for a debtor-in-possession, which allows it to get a loan from someone to continue operations for now. The creditor for the DIP also gets first priority over other creditors because they took a risk. Freedom was able to get such a loan from a pair of companies called mountaineer Funding and VF Funding. So payments to those creditors are delayed indefinitely until those two companies are paid, and no lawsuits can be filed by those harmed

Now comes the fun part:
Freedom industries is owned by chemstream holdings. Chemstream holdings has the exact same street address as a company called Rosebud Mining. Which is kinda interesting. More interesting is this, Rosebud Mining owns two mineral financing companies you may have heard of - VF Funding and Mountaineer Funding.

Further, Rosebud and Chemstream are owned by the same person - j Clifford Forrest.

So one guy owns the shells that own the fronts. He poisoned 9 counties, them had one front declare bankruptcy to block lawsuits, them transferred money from a pair of fronts from a different shell to block creditor claims. Then he sold most of the assets to another front they own called Lexycon

So he lost nothing and blocked any claims of restitution by any injured party or creditor, and actually made a little by selling the Freedom Industries assets he didn't transfer

This is the kind of story that should define the career of a young, intrepid investigative journalist. First it makes local headlines, then regional, then national, ultimately culminating in at least one executive being marched out in cuffs with his blazer pulled up over his face. Or failing that, said executive being confronted by an angry crowd wielding torches and pitchforks.

Instead it's the kind of thing that takes up a chapter in a Matt Taibbi book a few years after the fact, because as evil as it is on the surface it's 100% legal.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Except Walker would like another 3 million from you and as such he would in fact take your call. He just wouldn't give two shits about what you're requesting and all you'd get are empty promises at best.

So you agree money doesn't buy results, and that the influence it provides requires the politician to already be inclined to agree with you?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This is the kind of story that should be broken by an intrepid investigative journalist, make local headlines, then go national, ultimately culminating in at least one executive being marched out in cuffs with his blazer pulled up over his face. Or failing that, being confronted by an angry crowd wielding torches and pitchforks.

Instead it's the kind of thing that takes up a chapter in a Matt Taibbi book a few years after the fact, because as evil as it is on the surface it's 100% legal.

When roughly half of the country actively cheers stuff like this as a brilliant bootstrappy innovative business strategy to fight against the tyranny of the federal government and Obama, it would probably be difficult to get a good mob going.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

This is why no one ever wants to go digging for the truth, it's almost always too painful.

:cripes:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

The state committee and its local committees have a 5k combined contribution limit for each candidate.

Yes, but they can spend in a fairly coordinated manner.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is amazing.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This is the kind of story that should define the career of a young, intrepid investigative journalist. First it makes local headlines, then regional, then national, ultimately culminating in at least one executive being marched out in cuffs with his blazer pulled up over his face. Or failing that, said executive being confronted by an angry crowd wielding torches and pitchforks.

It might not be legal. Just having companies in different names doesn't always shield you from liability depending on who owns what percentage of the companies and how they're related. They're almost certainly shielded from personal liability but liability on their investments could be an issue depending on their structure and whether the state decides to get serious about going after them.
(it's west virginia so the company will get away with it)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalman posted:

So you agree money doesn't buy results, and that the influence it provides requires the politician to already be inclined to agree with you?

Money buys you access, and if you offered a shitheel like Scott Walker enough of it he would push for whatever you're asking. 3mil might not buy him to support UHC but for enough money he will sell out.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

God no.

Now comes the fun part:

I didn't have all the information at my fingertips and didn't have time to delve into it, but this is what I was getting at.

Nuclear shielding was an understatement. The front of Icarus I and II were plated with Kiwi Ghost Chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Good Citizen posted:

It might not be legal. Just having companies in different names doesn't always shield you from liability depending on who owns what percentage of the companies and how they're related. They're almost certainly shielded from personal liability but liability on their investments could be an issue depending on their structure and whether the state decides to get serious about going after them.
(it's west virginia so the company will get away with it)

Only if your lawyer really hosed up or you've been too lazy to maintain the bare minimum of walls between the companies. It basically never happens.

• Locked thread