Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Duels of the Planeswalkers is a popular, simplified version of the card game Magic: The Gathering.

What's different this year?

- No more preconstructed decks. From a pool of 300+ cards, you are free to assemble any kind of deck you like. However, there are different rules in this iteration: You may only use 4 of any Common, 3 of any Uncommon, 2 of any Rare, and 1 of any Mythic.

- Cards will be unlocked through campaign mode or through buying "boosters". There are some cards in the set that only appear in the premium booster packs.

- There is no 2HG this year

What does the card pool look like?

- Here you go: http://community.wizards.com/forum/mtg-duels-planeswalkers/threads/4104891

- Yes, there are dual lands

Platforms?

- 360, XBOne, Steam. PS3 and PS4? "We never say never," says Wizards, meaning it is likely a timed exclusive for Microsoft consoles.

Release Date?

- iPad : July 9th

All other platforms : July 16th - July 17th

precision fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
reserved

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

- Cards will be unlocked through campaign mode or through buying "boosters". There are some cards in the set that only appear in the premium booster packs.

So this version is going to be a terrible microtransaction laden mess then?

Hopefully you can at least use cheatengine or whatever to get the cards you want on PC.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Is this what people wanted with this series? I admit I'm ultra casual about the Planeswalker series but most of the appeal to me was just screwing around with the pre-made decks. I know loads of people wanted more deckbuilding options but I never got the feeling they wanted the pre-made decks to be removed totally.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I wanted to make my own personal deck - but then again, I am terrible and only used that girl with the insane amount of buffing stuff and just tried to get the highest numbers I can becuase I am a loving casual.

Microtransactions are poo poo. I'll see what I can do with CE...

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Wonder what the promo card is gonna be this time (if they have one). The one where you get a code and take it into the store for a paper promo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

So this version is going to be a terrible microtransaction laden mess then?

Hopefully you can at least use cheatengine or whatever to get the cards you want on PC.

Probably, yes. It's very unclear how the unlocking system will work. They've said that, once you unlock the maximum number of a card (the 4th of a Common, 3rd of an Uncommon, etc) you won't see that card again, so the best case scenario is there's an absolute maximum on the number of packs you'll have to open.

However packs can only be won by grinding against the AI in the Campaign; you can't win them through multiplayer (which is the only mode I care about). So this could very well be the most expensive game yet if you want to just pay to unlock everything immediately.

As long as people don't cheat to break the card limit, in this case I'm all for cheating the unlocks.

Darkhold posted:

Is this what people wanted with this series? I admit I'm ultra casual about the Planeswalker series but most of the appeal to me was just screwing around with the pre-made decks. I know loads of people wanted more deckbuilding options but I never got the feeling they wanted the pre-made decks to be removed totally.

Honestly I'm pretty sure the people who wanted the preconstructed decks removed are in a tiny minority. Or they didn't realize that there's no way to have full deck building while also getting to screw around with awesome/broken cards like in the past games. The card pool is not bad, with very little vanilla and hardly any outright junk cards, but it still seems like it will end up with less variety than what we're used to.

They've pretty much confirmed that the card pool will get expanded though (since what else could they do for Expansions anyway) so here's hoping they add in a couple hundred multicolor cards or something.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

This series has been getting worse by the year and this one is going to be a trainwreck. Limits on what cards you can get in your decks, really?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Davincie posted:

This series has been getting worse by the year and this one is going to be a trainwreck. Limits on what cards you can get in your decks, really?

Yeah why can't they just make it max 4 like the actual game is played?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
When you say buying booster packs, are we talking real world money here?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I forgot about these games after the unfun times of 2013. Sounds like they aren't learning their lessons. Let's just pack it in and go over to MTG:O

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
So they're trying to play catch-up by turning this into Hearthstone with a worst interface? I've bought previous DotP outings, but now that Hearthstone exists I think I'll pass on this one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Meat Recital posted:

When you say buying booster packs, are we talking real world money here?

Yes, and as stated, the cards marked with (premium) in the card pool list are cards that will only show up in boosters bought with money, as opposed to boosters you grind from the AI.

Rocketlex posted:

So they're trying to play catch-up by turning this into Hearthstone with a worst interface?

Nah, because Hearthstone gives you the chance to buy boosters by playing games against other human beings; DOTP2015 will have absolutely no way to get more cards other than "play against the AI" and "pay money".

So they're trying to play catch-up by turning it into something far worse than Hearthstone. GG WOTC.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Alara "shardlands" have shown up in preview videos, though it's unclear if they're only in there for Challenges or if the first Expansion will be Alara-themed (a popular rumor at the moment).

There is still no release date. I'm sure they'll reveal the release date a week in advance like usual.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Darkhold posted:

I thought this was supposed to be Magic for Casuals because they already operate online Magic cards?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey, who wants an extra long preview video featuring two people who know almost absolutely nothing about Magic, one of whom is the DOTP brand manager?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ3gv6P2joo

If you make it to the end of the video you get a prize!

The prize is a gun with one bullet! :shepicide:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm planning on picking up Duels 14 during this steam sale. Is getting the version with the unlock keys generally advisable? I like the extra incentive of getting something for winning, but I'll probably never see 50%+ of the cards without the keys. Can you apply the keys selectively? And the stupid holo keys?

Davincie posted:

This series has been getting worse by the year

How so? My only prior experience is a few games with the original release and trying out the 14 demo.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

So they're trying to play catch-up by turning this into Hearthstone with a worst interface? I've bought previous DotP outings, but now that Hearthstone exists I think I'll pass on this one.

I wonder if this is partially a response to Hex.

That said, I'll probably pick it up and have my $15 worth of fun with it. I didn't buy the sealed slots in the last game and I don't see myself buying boosters for a game I'll drop in 2 weeks as opposed to hearthstone (which is getting major updates) or hex (a game that's pretty much magic with persistence).

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 19, 2014

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Magic Online, which still exists, is far more likely to be the one competing against Hearthstone.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Carados posted:

Magic Online, which still exists, is far more likely to be the one competing against Hearthstone.

Hearthstone's put them an interesting bind. DotP is definitely the "attract new players" affordable option, and the card unlocking system in this year's DotP feels inspired by Hearthstone.

Magic Online has the competitive aspect, but it is also prohibitively expensive to break into compared to Hearthstone. But they can't just lower prices because then they'll be cannibalizing the paper game.

I love Magic and would love to be able to draft for $5 online, but it'll cost me $15. I'll get a MINIMUM of seven arena runs in Hearthstone for that, and that's assuming I can't win a single loving game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Rinkles posted:

How so? My only prior experience is a few games with the original release and trying out the 14 demo.

Less inspired decks, bugs staying and new ones coming with each release, net code staying horrible, new game modes being incredibly bad and dead after a week, releasing a multicolour themed game and not having any (or maybe 1 I don't remember) multi colour decks at launch and so on.

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
What are the chances that modders will break this open and add the rest of the cards/remove limitations?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mayheim posted:

What are the chances that modders will break this open and add the rest of the cards/remove limitations?

Pretty high, but it remains to be seen if said modded decks will be able to play with unhacked decks. There has been, surprisingly, very little in the way of absolute cheating in the Steam versions; there was an incredibly obvious exploit that allowed for a turn 1 Eldrazi in 2014, but aside from that, not much else.

Of course the Sealed portion was completely broken open to where lots of people had access to every card, but that actually did get fixed. I think. I didn't play Sealed enough to remember what exactly happened there.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Rocketlex posted:

I was really into Hearthstone for two weeks but my interest went to non-existent after realizing that Arena was a joke for progression and each pack felt less and less rewarding. Plus the game just isn't very fun.

Looking forward to trying out MTG 2015 and building decks to beat the AI. Would love a Sid Meier style Shandalar 2016.

Edit:

Holy crap, the promo cards are the 2015 Titans (souls of Ravnica and Zendikar)

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2014/06/here-are-your-magic-2015-duels-of-the-planeswalkers-promo-cards/

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 20, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's another preview video out there that's not really worth watching, but in this one, several cards from the assumed card pool are missing (all the ones with Exalted, for example). Are some of the cards that have been shown actually leaked from the DLC? It looks like the card pool at launch will be short by about 25 of the cards in the post linked in the OP. Great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

precision posted:

There's another preview video out there that's not really worth watching, but in this one, several cards from the assumed card pool are missing (all the ones with Exalted, for example). Are some of the cards that have been shown actually leaked from the DLC? It looks like the card pool at launch will be short by about 25 of the cards in the post linked in the OP. Great.

One of the previews I read said that some cards will only be available from paid booster packs - maybe it's those cards that are missing?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

One of the previews I read said that some cards will only be available from paid booster packs - maybe it's those cards that are missing?

Nope, it's been confirmed now that those were "accidentally" spoiled Expansion cards. The cards that are paid-only are the ones marked (premium) in the post linked in the OP; things like Squadron Hawk, Talrand Sky Summoner, Liliana's Specter, you know, all the really good all-purpose cards.

Also, Vampire decks get a 3-card win against any even numbered life total:

"Vampire tribal is looking very good. 1.) Have an untapped vampire. 2.) Cast Sanguine Bond on turn 5. 3.) Kick Blood Tribute on turn 6. Tribute makes the player lose half of their life rounded up, but since it was kicked you gain just as much life which triggers the bond. Then you target that player so that they lose their remaining life. If their life is an even number they will automatically lose."

edit: :siren: Release dates, finally :siren:

iPad : July 9th

All other platforms : July 16th - July 17th

precision fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 27, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know why I expected any different, but gently caress sealed play (in Duel 14). It was one of the things I was most looking forward to because I'd never done it irl, so it'd be fun to experiment with a new format. Except you only get 2 slots to play with. And you cannot reset those slots. A perfect environment for a newcomer. And of course, the game jumps you right into booster opening without warning about the limited slots (I actually cancelled out in the last moment).

I understand the associated mutliplayer issues (rerolling until you get a great pool), but there are ways around it. For instance, allow resets but only every week or so. Or a SP only mode (the side of which I was mostly interested in).

Are there ways around the slot limit (I mean 2 is ridiculous). I found some mods by googling, but they were from around when the game came out and some people claimed they've been patched out.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I don't know why I expected any different, but gently caress sealed play (in Duel 14). It was one of the things I was most looking forward to because I'd never done it irl, so it'd be fun to experiment with a new format. Except you only get 2 slots to play with. And you cannot reset those slots. A perfect environment for a newcomer. And of course, the game jumps you right into booster opening without warning about the limited slots (I actually cancelled out in the last moment).

I understand the associated mutliplayer issues (rerolling until you get a great pool), but there are ways around it. For instance, allow resets but only every week or so. Or a SP only mode (the side of which I was mostly interested in).

Are there ways around the slot limit (I mean 2 is ridiculous). I found some mods by googling, but they were from around when the game came out and some people claimed they've been patched out.

I believe you can purchase (one) ectra slot?

Another problem is a relatively small pool to pull cards from.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gensuki posted:

I believe you can purchase (one) ectra slot?

You can purchase a ton of slots (like over 20?). I don't like the idea of having to pay extra for what I think reasonably should have been in the base product. The non-resetable 2 slot limit is the sort of thing you'd expect out of a free ios demo.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

http://store.steampowered.com/app/255420/

Preordering is up!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

I don't get it, the complete bundle says 300 foil stickers and bonus card collections.

Does that just mean you get the entire pool unlocked or something? And foil stickers?

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

Revitalized posted:

I don't get it, the complete bundle says 300 foil stickers and bonus card collections.

Does that just mean you get the entire pool unlocked or something? And foil stickers?

You probably get a large portion of the card pool unlocked if not all of it and they'll all be foils instead of regular. Or at least that is my guess. Or perhaps "foil stickers" means you get 300 foil tokens to turn any cards you want into foil.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Wow, if the first post is accurate this sounds loving terrible. I was going to skip it anyway due to their lawsuit over Hex, but even if I wasn't I wouldn't buy it anyways because of all the stupid changes.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Nope, enjoy!

2014 was actually my first experience with drafting too and it's only after playing other TCGs that I can realize how bad it was. If you got a lovely draft you are stuck with it forever, completely missing the point of drafting.

Drafting in hearthstone is much cheaper (which means bad drafts don't mean much in the long run), gives cards from the entire pool, and actually gives you an reward for doing it.

Drafting in hex nets you all the cards you picked (again from the entire pool of cards), plus at least one booster and gold if you can manage to not come in dead last

It's a shame about the pre-constructed decks since I really enjoyed some of them and it was kinda like a fighting game when it came to picking for online.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
I'm going to get it because the deck building sounds pretty fun at least, should make multiplayer interesting anyway.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Ended up getting some savings on the preorder from Unbearable if folks want to save a buck or two:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647226

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Revitalized posted:

The very very very likely thing is that it unlocks all the cards that you can grind for in-game, so you don't have to play the single player at all. You won't get the "Premium" cards, there are currently enough of those listed that, with Premium Boosters being 10 cards each, and accounting for the necessity of getting 4/3/2/1 of each Premium, you'd need to buy exactly 20 Premium Boosters (they've already confirmed that you won't get duplicates in Premium Boosters, because now THAT would be some poo poo; in other words, once you have gotten the 4th of a Common or the first of a Mythic, you won't see those again if you buy more Premium Boosters).

This is gonna be an expensive year for DOTP if you want to skip the bullshit unlocking-grind. :negative:

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

precision posted:

The very very very likely thing is that it unlocks all the cards that you can grind for in-game, so you don't have to play the single player at all. You won't get the "Premium" cards, there are currently enough of those listed that, with Premium Boosters being 10 cards each, and accounting for the necessity of getting 4/3/2/1 of each Premium, you'd need to buy exactly 20 Premium Boosters (they've already confirmed that you won't get duplicates in Premium Boosters, because now THAT would be some poo poo; in other words, once you have gotten the 4th of a Common or the first of a Mythic, you won't see those again if you buy more Premium Boosters).

This is gonna be an expensive year for DOTP if you want to skip the bullshit unlocking-grind. :negative:

I'm not sure if this was stated somewhere but are you saying there will be premium cards, that are in the base game, that you can't unlock just from playing in the game? In past games you could always unlock everything without spending extra $$$ besides DLC decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Onion Rings posted:

I'm not sure if this was stated somewhere but are you saying there will be premium cards, that are in the base game, that you can't unlock just from playing in the game? In past games you could always unlock everything without spending extra $$$ besides DLC decks.

Yes, there are cards that you only get from spending cash money on IAPs.

• Locked thread