Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So of the people declaring this game dead, how many of you have actually played post-patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

xzzy posted:

Really? They took out spies, soldiers, and ubers? Where are those patch notes?

And Engies are still piss-easy to take out with sticky bombs. It's not like Demo is suddenly unplayably useless trash. It's all kneejerk hyperbole.

I really wish they'd rethink Demoknight though. Make the shields primaries so you can stickyjump off charges and you won't be uselessly gimped in order to play it. Maybe make the Claidheamh Mor have an effect that would be useful even if you aren't using a shield. No other class has weapons that are completely useless if not used in tandem with other specific weapons but 90% of Demoman's unlocks require you to be using another unlock in order to use them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nerdbot posted:

And Engies are still piss-easy to take out with sticky bombs.

What? That's not true. Millions of angry nerds all over the internet have made it perfectly clear the demoman is dead and cannot kill anything. They are the civilian.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think 6s team composition will change very much, since mobility and the ability to spam are still a big factor. Who knows though!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

cock hero flux posted:

Yeah, Robin's come out and said that Soldier is his favourite class and the he loves demoknights. And people act surprised when every update caters to those two things to the exclusion of anything else.

In the charity events he would always play GL/SL/HZ, his special flaming one. And Demo was the best class. Now he mains Soldier and it's hands down the best class. Hrm.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I'm actually seeing demomen use the pipe launcher now, to great effect. Heavies can still do well but have to be wary of ambushes. Flying soldiers and demomen get great shots on things but are easy targets. Spies and ubercharges have a slightly more important role in helping take out sentry nests. Puff & sting pyros are less prevalent on pub servers now. Truly this game has been ruined forever by these changes.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The best thing about this update is that it reminds me of many many earlier tf2 threads where something would change and youd have cries that the game is ruined.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I think if Valve were to balance the game around a competitive format it wouldn't be 6s.

I personally enjoy watching 6s more, but Highlander is way easier for Valve to promote.

If they ever cared to actually make TF2 a competitive game.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

Really? They took out spies, soldiers, and ubers? Where are those patch notes?

Go in with uber, by the time your stickies have ramped-up, they've been shortcircuited and airblasted, and you've been knocked-back into the next room. It now takes four stickes to take out a level 1 sentry.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nativity In Black posted:

Valve should do whatever they want, and let the competitive players make the game competitive. Comp players are better at it anyways.

Halo was ruined for casual players by chasing the MLG carrot, I'd hate to see that happen to TF2.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

I think if Valve were to balance the game around a competitive format it wouldn't be 6s.

I personally enjoy watching 6s more, but Highlander is way easier for Valve to promote.

What other competitive game has teams that big?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pisshead posted:

Go in with uber, by the time your stickies have ramped-up, they've been shortcircuited and airblasted, and you've been knocked-back into the next room. It now takes four stickes to take out a level 1 sentry.

So you're saying that they wouldn't be airblasted or shortcircuited before that ramp-up? I don't think so....

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pisshead posted:

All those extra mouse clicks, the game is surely ruined. :qq:

Volty
Jul 25, 2013

pisshead posted:

If the sentry had a short circuit and Pyro guarding it you weren't taking it out with just an Uber anyway.

It's only 4 stickies if you airburst them, waiting two seconds doesn't take that long against immobile sentries.

Really, the only issue I actually see with this change is that Wrangler engineers are going to be more difficult to deal with since they can also just fire rockets at the ground to knock the stickies away.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Trabisnikof posted:

So you're saying that they wouldn't be airblasted or shortcircuited before that ramp-up? I don't think so....

You used to be able to detonate outside both the Pyro's airblast and the Short Circut. You'd be doing like, 50 a time, but it would tie up the Engineer to his Sentry and did risk free damage to Pyros abet slowly. Now it's 25 and nowhere near as disruption resistant.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Reiley posted:

If a Pyro tries to puff and sting you with your parachute on just hit spacebar in the air and leave, the burning will make you go up and away from there.

Yes. Do this. Everyone take Reiley's advice!

so I can reserve shoot and/or critflare you to death

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CoolCab posted:

You used to be able to detonate outside both the Pyro's airblast and the Short Circut. You'd be doing like, 50 a time, but it would tie up the Engineer to his Sentry and did risk free damage to Pyros abet slowly. Now it's 25 and nowhere near as disruption resistant.

If you're air deting outside of the airblast radius you're also not going to kill the engineer before the uber is up if they have a dispenser and you won't kill the gun if they're wrenching.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

DoctorWhat posted:

Yes. Do this. Everyone take Reiley's advice!

so I can reserve shoot and/or critflare you to death

Yeah, turning yourself into a big flaming pinata is a great idea for your long term survival.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

CoolCab posted:

Yeah agreed it was pretty op before. I'm glad they fixed that.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Quick fix med doesn't get a parachute healing a base jumper. Fix this valve tia

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also for context, if you're shooting 4 stickies into a sentry nest, by the time the last sticky is down the first one is at full damage. Then its only another .2 seconds till the second sticky is at full damage.

This nerf hits holding down m2 more than anything really.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
people saying that demo's can't kill sentries this update have probably not played demo much this update. sentry killing is like the one thing totally unaffected, mostly it's just harder to keep scouts off you.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The new Scattergun one-shots light classes from behind. It nearly one-shots Medics, it does 141 damage on a full back meatshot and the back detection looks like its more backstab than backburner.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

people saying that demo's can't kill sentries this update have probably not played demo much this update. sentry killing is like the one thing totally unaffected, mostly it's just harder to keep scouts off you.

Exactly. And now I have to think ahead when I get ambushed by a pyro and not just shoot stickies at my feet.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Has anyone opened one of the summer gift box things from the sale? One of them says it has 1 guaranteed 'special summer item' and it's unclear what that item set might be. I'm guessing from the latest update, but they didn't exactly call this a summer update.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Are the strange bread weapons looking like they'll probably be worth anything? Because the RNG gods decided to reward me for mashing three robo-hats together with a strange bread sapper despite me not playing Spy much.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I imagine they'll be around festive prices, so probably a few keys once the heat goes down. I'd try selling now while they're rare and the call for them is hot.

RNG also smiled on me because I ended being given a half-zatoichi kit just in time to go with my current demoknighting binge. I hope the professional kit for the Tide turner comes out soon, I want one really bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

Has anyone opened one of the summer gift box things from the sale? One of them says it has 1 guaranteed 'special summer item' and it's unclear what that item set might be. I'm guessing from the latest update, but they didn't exactly call this a summer update.

I just did and it got me a Backpack Expander, Description Tag and Claidheamh Mor.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Zero! posted:

Several of the top ESEA-Invite 6s teams were scrimming last night and the sticky nerf had a pretty huge difference in their games. The demoman, usually near topping the damage stats, was last or second last (not counting medic) in over half of the scrims, with significantly less frags than you'd expect too. One of them ended up running the Scottish Resistance full time to try to make up the difference. Top scouts and soldiers are a lot more dangerous now.

In regards to 6s blacklisting loads of weapons, you have to realise that Valve balance all of the weapons around 12v12 games. That's a perfectly fine thing to do since pub servers vastly outnumber everything else. When it comes to competitive video games though, you usually want smaller teams since it's easier to manage people and more financially viable when it comes to the high end of gaming where people are playing for $$$ at LANs. After trying out several team sizes, the competitive TF2 scene evolved into 6s and Highlander (9s), 6s being a more traditional size competitive team based game and Highlander being closer to regular pub TF2. Less things are banned in HL since the player count is pretty close to the standard pub server, so pretty much everything is already balanced with everything else. 6s only has half the players that pub servers do though, which ends up meaning that some weapons aren't quite balanced with each other, leading to bans being necessary to keep a level, fun playing field.

Case in point, the Quick Fix is banned in most 6s leagues since it would give teams massive advantages at mid-fights, but then made pushing other points a lot harder. When it was allowed, every medic was pretty much forced to run it to mid or face their team having a big disadvantage at the mid-fight. Once the mid-fight was over, the medic would either have to run all the way back to spawn to change to a better secondary for pushing between points or have a very difficult time pushing points. It ended up not being very fun for anyone involved and made games less enjoyable to play and watch. With the new balance changes though, maybe it'll be viable! We'll have to see once people get to try everything out with the new changes.

In general, it's really not a case of the 6s community being elitist, the majority just want to make TF2 with smaller sized teams as fun and competitive as possible.

I imagine that the sticky launcher will still be the most popular choice for comp demomen, but will mainly be used for mobility with nades being used for DPS. I wonder how the B.A.S.E Jumper will affect the competitive scene.

Reiley posted:

If a Pyro tries to puff and sting you with your parachute on just hit spacebar in the air and leave, the burning will make you go up and away from there.

Come take a ride on my beautiful balloooooooooon...

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Trabisnikof posted:

Also for context, if you're shooting 4 stickies into a sentry nest, by the time the last sticky is down the first one is at full damage. Then its only another .2 seconds till the second sticky is at full damage.

This nerf hits holding down m2 more than anything really.

I haven't had a chance to play yet since the update, but this is my feeling also. If you're stickying a sentry nest, unless it's got a pybro or short-circut, laying several successive stickies was always better than M2'ing it. I've been taking out more sentry nests with the grenade launcher recently anyway and saving the stickies for after.

It'll be a lot less fun to play in pubs and just wreck everyone's poo poo with demo, but it's still useful. I was getting bored anyway as I would just switch to demo if my team was poo poo. And playing primarily on pub Valve servers, I was playing Demo a LOT. This will probably lead to me playing more scout and pyro without that nagging feeling that I'm gimping my team by not being a demo.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I like the Axetinguisher nerf.

Why?

Because it allows Pyros to use another melee weapon.

Since its release, the Axetinguisher+Flare Gun+Degreaser has literally been the "if you don't pyro like this, you're poo poo" loadout - the synergy was too good. Now, there's less of a feeling of "if I don't use X weapon, I won't be good enough" - I think this change will show players using Powerjack, Homewrecker, Rake, and the other Pyro melee weapons.

I felt the same way after the Equalizer split, and I felt the same way after Valve stopped Heavys from throwing a sandvich for themselves to heal up.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Here's a fun trick with the TT: charge away from someone, and then immediately whip around and charge back into their face on the same charge.

Catches pyros by surprise, most of them can't airblast in time.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
The parachute is hilarious in the Smash Bros mod.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

I want MY spy to be able to use the B.A.S.E. jumper as well for some drop in stabbings.

As for the SL nerf, didn't someone say the damage ramp up does NOT include buildings? So basically you can still blow the poo poo up out of engy nests, you just have to either switch to the pill launcher or, god forbid, rely on teammates to kill off the engy?

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Svdl posted:

Ninja scout, too! Goes great with one of the new taunts.

A few pages back, but I can't state how much I love this outfit and you are a national treasure for TF2 land. Combine it with the Back Scatter and you have a perfect "trying way too hard to make Dad proud" Scout.

Also, a few random thoughts about the update since my initial shock from getting an unusual taunt has worn off:
  • The little details are sometimes really the best. For instance, if you are being Kritzed while performing the Spent Well Spirits taunt, Demo's melee bottle will actually have its crit skin.
  • I See You is the weakest taunt of the bunch.
  • The Tide Turner is not just a ridiculously fun weapon, it's also fashionable. My pirate Demoman loadout for Halloween mode looks truly complete now.
  • I saw some issues with the sticky bomb damage ramp-up in Mann vs. Machine, but that's not really the main mode of the game so I'm not hugely concerned. I tend to use my Loch-n-Load more than my stickies in a regular TF2 match anyway.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Tamayachi posted:

As for the SL nerf, didn't someone say the damage ramp up does NOT include buildings?

It includes buildings, from what I've read. IE, the same 2 second penalty to damage applies to buildings too.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

100 airborne kills mark! :) Obviously not all on parachutes(especially since a lot of the time they get sent flying with like 10~ health left), but enough of them that I feel happy about it.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
Where are all these conga lines taking place, private servers? I've been on different Valve servers all afternoon and haven't seen one.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

J-Pak posted:

Where are all these conga lines taking place, private servers? I've been on different Valve servers all afternoon and haven't seen one.

It only takes one person with the taunt to get the whole server conga lining.

Also people on Valve servers rarely have hats/cosmetic things in general unless they're a pubstomper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I was in a game of Fastlane in which an Gunslinger Engineer asked his teammates to kill me because I wouldn't stop shooting rockets at him and his minisentries. I guess he wanted to type it out to his team but typed it out on global which made it even funnier. Anyway, nerf the Soldier, buff the Gunslinger. (This was a Valve server and everybody was awful :( )

• Locked thread