Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

d0s posted:

Just about any other mirrorless camera on the market right now would be a better choice.

I'm largely ignorant in this area. What should I be looking at? I don't want to spend much more than US$600-$700 if I can help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

psylent posted:

I'm largely ignorant in this area. What should I be looking at? I don't want to spend much more than US$600-$700 if I can help it.

I can't speak for the various Fuji bodies/lenses, but a budget like that would go really far with a good m4/3 body and a couple lenses. The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is a great walkaround lens, and there are a ton of good used PEN bodies out there.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

psylent posted:

A M4/3 kit and a fast prime around 20mm.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

If you want a NIB camera, the Olympus E-PM2 has the same sensor and processor as the Olympus OM-D E-M5 for $2-400 based on the package you buy.

It'll grant you the ability to start building a lens library when you decide to upgrade/buy another M43 body, at the very least.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 16, 2014

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I have an Eos M and I like it but I don't love it. I mostly like the touch screen interface (it's very different from my DSLR), you just have to give up doing things the way you would on your DSLR. For a small camera for quick shots on vacation, it's pretty nice for the price. If you want to move into a mirrorless full time I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The A7S reviews are starting to roll in and I'm pretty stoked. Looks like up to ISO 102400 is usable with good noise reduction and AF in low light is decent. That plus the totally silent shutter mode makes it the perfect event camera.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HPL posted:

The A7S reviews are starting to roll in and I'm pretty stoked. Looks like up to ISO 102400 is usable with good noise reduction and AF in low light is decent. That plus the totally silent shutter mode makes it the perfect event camera.

So D700 sensor with 8x more powerful noise reduction.

I know they are not the same thing. The D3 chip was not made by Sony.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Just got a brand new job today!

Time to celebrate a bit.

Let's see what this Fuji stuff is all about!

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

I thought it was alpha mount though?
There are two Sony 35mm f/1.8 lenses, one for each mount. The a-mount is plasticky but has great optics, whereas the e-mount version is better-built and uses in-body IS.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't have a problem with plastic-shelled lenses. I'll take weight-savings anywhere.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Well, I have nice plastic lenses, but some of the really cheap ones feel like nasty flimsy plastic. It makes you feel worried about your $200 shattering in your hands when you attach it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The E-mount 35 f/1.8 is made of aluminum, so it's not like it's miles better than plastic.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Well, I have nice plastic lenses, but some of the really cheap ones feel like nasty flimsy plastic. It makes you feel worried about your $200 shattering in your hands when you attach it.

If we're talking about dropping it, I worry far more about the metal getting bent/deformed than I do plastic breaking. Experience seems to bear this out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does anyone have first hand experience with using a speedbooster adapter?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

There are two Sony 35mm f/1.8 lenses, one for each mount. The a-mount is plasticky but has great optics, whereas the e-mount version is better-built and uses in-body IS.
That explains it, thanks

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

spankmeister posted:

Does anyone have first hand experience with using a speedbooster adapter?

Yes, we use them a fair bit with FS700s, I don't own one though. If your question is "do they produce a sharp image" in my experience the answer is a resounding yes.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

XTimmy posted:

Yes, we use them a fair bit with FS700s, I don't own one though. If your question is "do they produce a sharp image" in my experience the answer is a resounding yes.

Yeah I realize I didn't really ask a concrete question, but that's pretty much what I wanted to know, thanks.

It's not high on my priorities list but adapting say a canon 24-70 2.8 on my OM-D sounds sexy.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They don't make the good EF speedbooster for OM-D though, the EF adapters with aperture control are only on the NEX for whatever reason.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

spankmeister posted:

Yeah I realize I didn't really ask a concrete question, but that's pretty much what I wanted to know, thanks.

It's not high on my priorities list but adapting say a canon 24-70 2.8 on my OM-D sounds sexy.

The day Metabones cranks out an EF to active MFT lens mount I'll be buying a BMPC, at the moment there isn't a speed-booster from anybody (insofar as I'm aware) that'll let you mount EF to MFT and still retain control over the aperture/AF.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 17, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

XTimmy posted:

The day Metabones cranks out an EF to active MFT lens mount I'll be buying a BMPC, at the moment there isn't a speed-booster from anybody (insofar as I'm aware) that'll let you mount EF to MFT and still retain control over the aperture/AF.

If things like double reverse-engineering is possible at both side of the mount, both technically and legally, I wonder why we don't have universal open standard mount yet?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The camera companies like having you buy their lenses or the lenses that get licensed through them. As it is there's still a tiny chance that one day Canon or Sony could just decide to say gently caress y'all and block 3rd party lenses in a firmware update.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

psylent posted:

You could grab a secondhand fuji xe1 and lens for about that. Maybe the 35mm if you're lucky.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aargh posted:

You could grab a secondhand fuji xe1 and lens for about that. Maybe the 35mm if you're lucky.

Pretty sure there's an XE1 in the for sale thread for $330 or so. I'd take a look at that.

And here it is

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 18, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I can't get either the bundled Fuji Flash (EF-X8) or a YN560-II to fire on my XT-1 for some reason. It's like it doesn't see either at all...

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

I can't get either the bundled Fuji Flash (EF-X8) or a YN560-II to fire on my XT-1 for some reason. It's like it doesn't see either at all...

Do you have silent mode enabled? For some reason on the XPro1 that also disables the hotshoe.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Aargh posted:

Do you have silent mode enabled? For some reason on the XPro1 that also disables the hotshoe.

That was it. What a stupid design, Fuji :argh:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Fart Car '97 posted:

That was it. What a stupid design, Fuji :argh:

It's actually an awesome design decision but I can understand your frustration. They should ahve called it 'stealth'

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Silent Mode trips me up every time I update the firmware. I assume it will just disable beeps, I realize after the fact that it does more, and then I just turn the volume off.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

feigning interest posted:

It's actually an awesome design decision but I can understand your frustration. They should ahve called it 'stealth'

There are situations I've photographed in that required silent shutter + flash so it'd be nice if you could set that separately.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

feigning interest posted:

The first thing I do on any camera is disable the sound. There are many times I need to use flash, and almost zero times I actually want or need the beeps.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fart Car '97 posted:

The first thing I do on any camera is disable the sound. There are many times I need to use flash, and almost zero times I actually want or need the beeps.

When you hand the camera to your family, basically. They should have offered a "Wife Mode" instean of a Silence mide.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's not just about your requirements. How about the blind?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oly 12-40mm f/2.8 arrives tomorrow weeeeee :toot:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

whatever7 posted:

When you hand the camera to your family, basically. They should have offered a "Wife Mode" instean of a Silence mide.

Oh right I forgot how terrible women are at doing anything with electronics!

Bob Socko posted:

Just to further clarify: the A-mount lens relies on sensor stabilization, since all of Sony's A-mount cameras offer it; the E-mount lens uses Sony's lens-based OSS, since no E-mount cameras have sensor stabilization.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Oh right I forgot how terrible women are at doing anything with electronics!

So did I until you reminded me. Thanks!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Apparently Tamron is releasing a 18-200MM superzoom for the Canon EOS-M

5 whole lenses in two years.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

grack posted:

welp hail satan

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

grack posted:

So, a slow-focussing body get a slow lens.

Why-o-why did invest in M4/3 instead?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

grack posted:

Despite all the misgivings in this thread, I think I'll still be grabbing one. I've got a 5D and a 7D along with a bunch of lenses, so if I want get one of the adapters I can. I really just want something light for holiday snaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Everything I've heard is that you should get an SL1 unless you get a really good deal on the EOS-M and the adapter.