Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

catlord posted:

There's this too, though I have no idea how close it is.

In the Kingdom looks cool, but I don't like the idea of paying for a demo.

Well in the old days you'd pay for shareware demos from stores if you didn't have a good bbs at hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I don't know if I talked about it here before or not, but if old-school, indie FPS-games are your thing you should definitely give Gun Godz a try. It's really lo-fi but extremely fast, with levels inspired by Wolfenstein-architecture without turning into frustrating mazes and geared towards speedrunning. The guns sound fantastic too, it will last you a bit longer than In The Kingdom, and there's a good amount of secrets to be found. Oh, and it's inspired by Venusian gangster rap.

Venusian gangster rap.

Anyway, it's free so you should probably give it a try.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I don't know if I talked about it here before or not, but if old-school, indie FPS-games are your thing you should definitely give Gun Godz a try. It's really lo-fi but extremely fast, with levels inspired by Wolfenstein-architecture without turning into frustrating mazes and geared towards speedrunning. The guns sound fantastic too, it will last you a bit longer than In The Kingdom, and there's a good amount of secrets to be found. Oh, and it's inspired by Venusian gangster rap.

Venusian gangster rap.

Also its by Vlambeer, who are some of the coolest indie devs around. (Super Crate Box and LUFTRAUSERS are seriously crack cocaine)

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Also its by Vlambeer, who are some of the coolest indie devs around. (Super Crate Box and LUFTRAUSERS are seriously crack cocaine)

This too. Plus I recently found out their office is basically next door from my faculty, so I should probably buy them a free lunch someday or something.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

laserghost posted:

I don't understand why Red Faction can still be praised.
Throw a detpack on a guy and watch them run around screaming for a bit.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Venusian gangster rap.

Oh it's free now? Awesome, I remember when it came out you had to subscribe to some indie gaming magazine in order to get a copy.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Nuclear Throne is their's as well which is a solid rogue-like top down shooter, that's probably one of the best supported Early Access games I've seen. You can also play as the main villain from Gun Godz in it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Gun Godz is some fun poo poo everybody, pick it up. It has a serious emphasis on in-your-face gameplay, really satisfying weapons, and a "three-stars" style of rewarding that encourages you to do 100% runs of the game.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Gun Godz is the lost sequel to 8Bit Killer. If this (and the fact that the game uses venusian rap as soundtrack) doesn't make you want to play it, then nothing will. It's very fast with dozen or so short levels, five (I think?) weapons and handful of enemy types, but it's so enjoyable and even at the second playthrough fun, as you try to beat your own time records, it's like Wolf3D or Doom in this matter.

In The Kingdom - just beat it. As I said earlier, it's a typical Amon26 game - eerie, without falling into "creepypasta game" cliches, excellent spritework and sounds, and it plays good, too. There is interesting mode of mouselook used, where you can't look down and can only look up to like, 45 degrees or so - but it's all you need. The weapons are satysfying, there's plenty of ammo and gore, and there are interesting tidbits like the projectiles shot by enemies - the efect is very simple but effective as gently caress, I've actually jumped a little when first goatman attacked me. 5$ is kind of too much for such a short game, but I guess it's a way to support one of the most overlooked authors.

Amon26 also made a very nice "demake" of Doom 3 as an arena shooter, similar to Destruction Carnival (or Smash TV) - MooD: Waist High In Hell. It's freeware: https://app.box.com/shared/e5r00kvp9i

laserghost fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 18, 2014

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

laserghost posted:

Gun Godz is the lost sequel to 8Bit Killer. If this (and the fact that the game uses venusian rap as soundtrack) doesn't make you want to play it, then nothing will. It's very fast with dozen or so short levels, five (I think?) weapons and handful of enemy types, but it's so enjoyable and even at the second playthrough fun, as you try to beat your own time records, it's like Wolf3D or Doom in this matter.

And thanks to this post, I just discovered 8Bit Killer. Thanks!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
In The Kingdom was really interesting, and the chaingun is absolutely in the game, in the third level, and you probably walked right past it.

Edit: Okay, I played through it twice: There's nothing special, and the other two levels aren't hard at all from the slow-motion even though the first one is tougher. It's definitely a neat proof of concept!

Geight fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 19, 2014

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I played it too, didn't get any slow motion in levels 2 or 3, so that must just be a bug.

I missed the chaingun too, but the final bosses were pretty easy since you can shoot them to death from outside their aggro range!

Interesting visuals, if buying it helped fund a larger (better) game with the same premise I'm down.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

superh posted:

I played it too, didn't get any slow motion in levels 2 or 3, so that must just be a bug.

I missed the chaingun too, but the final bosses were pretty easy since you can shoot them to death from outside their aggro range!

Interesting visuals, if buying it helped fund a larger (better) game with the same premise I'm down.

You get the slow motion playing through the game a second time after the credits. Also yeah, I'm not too bummed about giving five bucks to a dude who made a cool thing.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Daikatana is $1.74 on Steam during the sale, if you've ever wanted to experience it yourself or want to give an oldschool FPS player a prank gift.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Daikatana is $1.74 on Steam during the sale, if you've ever wanted to experience it yourself or want to give an oldschool FPS player a prank gift.

Does the Steam version actually work? And has someone released a mod which removes your companions?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can always play in an empty coop server to get rid of the companions. They fixed most of the bugs with the 1.2 patch, so it's just mediocre and boring rather than horribly unplayable bad now.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

You can always play in an empty coop server to get rid of the companions. They fixed most of the bugs with the 1.2 patch, so it's just mediocre and boring rather than horribly unplayable bad now.

You will miss out on those sweet cutscenes though. And there was a door you had to noclip through because it opened in a cutscene you did not get. No idea if they fixed that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They fixed the no clip door, and I think the cutscenes might play but me and the two suckers I roped into it skipped them. The LP everyone remembers was 1.1.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
There's also an unofficial 1.3 patch floating out there that fixes more bugs, enabled high resolutions, swaps Gamespy with a third party master server, and unfucks the enemy placement so that it's a lot more reasonable, at least in E1. The technical improvements are perfect, but the horrific enemy placement is part of the Daikatana experience. You wouldn't see what's so bad about it without things like getting to the top of a ladder and getting bum-rushed by rocket firing enemies you couldn't see until you got to the top.

Link for those interested: http://maraakate.org/DK13/binaries/DK_EXE_060114_FULL.7Z

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Installed it with GOG.com version of Daikatana, and it definitely makes Daikatana more bearable and easier on eyes. It's still not a good game, but now you can sort of play through and look for some good bits. Daikatana overall is such a wasted effort of many people, the amount of work cut down and reworked could make another Unreal, but instead we got a craptacular shooter which plays like something from budget range. It's infuriating.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Daikatana is a ton of lost potential. You can experience a bit of what Daikatana should've been at the start of E2, but then it disappears when you enter E2's temple. It's one of those games that really, really needs a remake done by people willing to cut and change things as needed. Even a simple skin and texture overhaul would probably do wonders for the game so that it's less grating on the eyes.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Daikatana deathmatch is still hilarious and awesome.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kazvall posted:

Daikatana deathmatch is still hilarious and awesome.

Shotcycler jumping is fun as hell, especially with the Acro powerup. If I had any map-making skills, I would try to make jump maps where you have to use it to get through the map.

Are the other episodes good for DM, or does everyone only play E1 maps?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Shotcycler jumping is fun as hell, especially with the Acro powerup. If I had any map-making skills, I would try to make jump maps where you have to use it to get through the map.

Are the other episodes good for DM, or does everyone only play E1 maps?

As I like to explain it, the deathmatch demo they released was better than the actual game. And yeah, that E1 map with the water is the only one I'd play for good reason. It's great.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kazvall posted:

As I like to explain it, the deathmatch demo they released was better than the actual game. And yeah, that E1 map with the water is the only one I'd play for good reason. It's great.

The city level would've been way better if most of the indoor area were replaced with street areas. Shotcycler jumping around an Action Quake 2-style city would be cool as gently caress.

The official mappack has an Q1DM3 remake that looks like it'd be really fun I'm not sure if any severs run it, but they should.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Speaking of DooM 3 demakes, are there any decent maps or map packs that attempt recreating D3's style? I wasn't too impressed with Legacy of Suffering (I felt like Valhalla did the gloomy darkness and action better) and I've played that E1M1 remake in D3's tyle.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Remember playing Threshold of Pain and it reminding me later levels of D3. There was also Doomero's attempt at full Doom 3-meets-Doom 2 wad, but apparently he stopped working at it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

On the other side of the equasion, there's a mod that recreates shareware Doom in Doom 3.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

On the other side of the equasion, there's a mod that recreates shareware Doom in Doom 3.

If you guys haven't played it, it's loving amazing and isn't just a boring, detail-less rip of E1. It actually tries to make the base look like a base while keeping the same layout. It's a shame they haven't done anything else.

There's a DooM 2 remake, but it looks bad.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i was about to type up my opinions on daikatana but i remembered that i already did at obscene length.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Am I terrible for never playing Doom 3 more than about 20 mins or so? When it came out I didn't have a powerful enough computer to play, and when I finally did I just couldn't get into it that much. I did enjoy Quake 4 though and felt like it was a pretty Doom-like game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

mod sassinator posted:

Am I terrible for never playing Doom 3 more than about 20 mins or so? When it came out I didn't have a powerful enough computer to play, and when I finally did I just couldn't get into it that much. I did enjoy Quake 4 though and felt like it was a pretty Doom-like game.

Doom 3 is definitely not a good game. Really cool environments and art direction, but the combat is really awful and disengaging. Enemies don't hardly react to getting shot or anything and the guns feel so weak. I'm not sure how you gently caress that up in a Doom game but there you go.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

mod sassinator posted:

Nah, it's a good game but it's a very different style than the classic games and has some pretty notable flaws. Doom 3 feels more like a something like System Shock, Quake 4 feels a lot more like Doom.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Doom 3 feels like they were trying for System Shock and failed.

Doom 3 is all shiny grey corridors, indistinguishable grey enemies, weak grey weapons, razor-sharp opaque black shadows everywhere, endless monster closets, boring levels, boring combat, boring story...

The only cool things I can remember from Doom 3 were the parts where you briefly run between airlocks on the open Martian surface and have to watch your O2 levels. It was a neat idea and actually had some color. Doom 1 and 2 are shockingly vibrant in comparison to Doom 3's grey-greyer-black color scheme.

John Romero discusses his philosophy for level design with IGN: We Play Doom With John Romero . It's pretty interesting how he talks about making open areas with windows that allow the player to see the layout of the level from inside it (rather than sticking them in narrow hallways and mazes) and allowing the player to see cool items and things they aren't able to access yet so they feel motivated to explore and continue playing. It's a simple idea that seems to have been lost in modern shooters. He criticizes Doom 3 for being so predictable with its repetitive monster closets and admits he got fed up about 2/3 through the game and uninstalled it.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

If you're looking to play some new Duke3D stuff, check out the newly released DukeHard episode made by the community (including me) It's set in a skyscraper with 17 levels by 15 different authors; the installation instructions are fairly easy to follow but you'll need Eduke32 to run it. It's pretty fantastic and the majority of levels are really well done.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

This thread lives... again.

Jblade posted:

If you're looking to play some new Duke3D stuff, check out the newly released DukeHard episode made by the community (including me) It's set in a skyscraper with 17 levels by 15 different authors; the installation instructions are fairly easy to follow but you'll need Eduke32 to run it. It's pretty fantastic and the majority of levels are really well done.
I was actually just about to post about this, but I left the window open instead of hitting post. :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Former Human posted:

Doom 3 feels like they were trying for System Shock and failed.

Doom 3 and its reaction seems to have been the product of differing ideas of what "Doom" is, much like a certain mod I can think of.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Doom 3 also had the benefit of having the best graphics ever at the time. I remember when Doom 3 originally leaked, the highest resolution you could go to was 640x480 and I remember thinking that it looked "almost photorealistic"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Doom 3 also had the benefit of having the best graphics ever at the time. I remember when Doom 3 originally leaked, the highest resolution you could go to was 640x480 and I remember thinking that it looked "almost photorealistic"

I remember it being a big deal that I could use almost the highest settings on it. I did find it pretty boring even though I bought the expansion which I never finished.

Lol at the HL2 gravity gun rip off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

The Kins posted:

This thread lives... again.

:allears: You're a good goon, and this image is going places.