Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Glazius posted:

That is a strangely touching ending. T260 wakes back up because yonks ago a little kid gave him an order.

The mission must be accomplished at all costs, no matter what. :colbert:

Edit: Also I feel this rad piano cover is worth sharing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edK2VjgZuI8 because I think it's pretty impressive, especially once they get to Last Battle.

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Alkarl posted:

Edit: Also I feel this rad piano cover is worth sharing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edK2VjgZuI8 because I think it's pretty impressive, especially once they get to Last Battle.

Wow, that's pretty loving awesome.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Alkarl posted:

Heyyyy this is very impressive! Nice find!

Derek Barona posted:

The other one I goddamn love is the song Manhattan Project from the same album, a remix of Kyo's theme, A Blue Town. Which is also my favorite song in the game, so yeah. Only reason I didn't link it is because it's all nice and slow, and after G's last couple of specific songs, slow doesn't match.

I think edgy Q is probably my favourite of the bunch.

Also, I recently discovered that Square-Enix released an arranged soundtrack of tracks from almost every SaGa series. Including tracks from SaGa Frontier like Battle 1.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Awesome update! I'm a bit surprised your not doing lute last. His story is the final one of the game.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Shwqa posted:

Awesome update! I'm a bit surprised your not doing lute last. His story is the final one of the game.

Lute doesn't have a story. His game is only the same meat and potatoes of everyone's game. Why not the middle?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Shwqa posted:

Because Lute and his story suck. Red is going to be last, because he and his story do not suck.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
T260G and the Essence of Saga Frontier
So to finally wrap up T260G's tale we're going to once again go over some of the extra information found in The Essence of Saga Frontier and how T260G interacts with Fuse in his quest. First of all, as others have mentioned, the personality for T260G's core is supposed to be female, but since the game always refers to T260G with male pronouns, I did the same to keep things simple.

As was discussed in Emelia and Blue's tale, Fuse first met T260G when he helped Rouge and the others carry the frozen Suzaku down from Mosperiburg. Fuse met Gen a bit earlier when he and Gen were in a bar and Gen instigated a bar fight with Fuse's drinking buddy, but we'll go into more detail after we meet Fuse's drinking friend.

The primary plot for T260G's quest is one of the last ones to finish up so it's a while before Fuse and T260G run into each other again. The next time Fuse gets involved is when he has to go visit Dr. Leonard to get Rabbit, one of the IRPO mec officers, repaired. Fuse is waiting to meet Leonard when the bomb goes off that ends up murdering Leonard. Fuse actually finds the person who set the bomb disguised as a janitor, but the assassin is able to escape.

Fuse finally meets T260G and Leonard while investigating PzkwV's black market weapon smuggling. PzkwV tries to attack him with missiles, but Rabbit activates his anti missile defense system and PzkwV gives himself up. Immediately after, Leonard comes to PzkwV's shop and he fixes up Rabbit. It also comes to light that Leonard was murdered by Trinity's intelligence division for knowing too much about their secret weapon trading. Leonard also removes a tracking chip from Rabbit and with the help of TimeLord, the group escapes from PzkwV's shop right before the intelligence division blows it up. Leonard then asks Fuse to help T260G and Gen take out RB3.

Essence says that both HQ and RB3 are relics from two ancient civilizations that were at war and T260G's quests touches on this briefly. T260G was originally built on HQ's side as a countermeasure for RB3. RB3 was originally going to target HQ but since HQ got hit with the virus seen in T260G's quest, RB3 viewed it's mission as complete and powered down. Of course by fixing HQ, RB3 had once again become active.

Fuse and T260G have a much easier time shutting down RB3 than us. Rather than go inside RB3's virtual reality core, Leonard recreates Gen and Fuse's personalities as a program and uploads them to RB3's core along with T260G's functionality to seek and destroy the heart of the program. Due to Fuse's brashness and Gen's alcoholism, their personalities are in such opposition to normal machine logic that they function as some sort of super virus and completely shut down RB3.

Immediately after blowing up RB3, the group goes over to the final battle with the ultimate final boss of Fuse's tale. In the final dungeon, Leonard unleashes a logic bomb on all the enemy mecs that forces them to start fighting all of the monsters hanging around. In the final battle Zeke hits the boss with a Kamikaze Crush, Gen with a combination sword attack of Moonlight Cut, Blizzard and Tres Flores, T260G with a Cosmic Rave in his Omega body form and PzkwV with a bunch of hyper blasters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That sounds like a bit of a mess. I can see why Fuse's story got cut.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Serious Frolicking posted:

That sounds like a bit of a mess. I can see why Fuse's story got cut.

Screw that, I wanted to see the Juryrigged Extralogical RB3 Killer: Weaponized Alcoholism & Douchery (J.E.R.K.W.A.D.) system in action.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Raitzeno posted:

Screw that, I wanted to see the Juryrigged Extralogical RB3 Killer: Weaponized Alcoholism & Douchery (J.E.R.K.W.A.D.) system in action.

I laughed at this far more than I should have. Bravo sir. :golfclap:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Raitzeno posted:

I vote that this goes in the OP.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

dude789 posted:

Fuse is waiting to meet Leonard when the bomb goes off that ends up murdering Leonard. Fuse actually finds the person who set the bomb disguised as a janitor, but the assassin is able to escape.

★ACE DETECTIVE★

Raitzeno posted:

You and me both. :allears:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Raitzeno posted:

Thirded for OP status.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Raitzeno posted:

Game's about due for a remake, too. You know how to redeem yourselves, Square Enix.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Game's about due for a remake, too. You know how to redeem yourselves, Square Enix.

This year is SaGa's 25th anniversary. SaGa 1, AKA Final Fantasy Legend 1, came out December 15, 1989 in Japan.

As far as I know, they are doing nothing beyond a tiny culture day event in Saga Prefecture, which convinces me more than anything else that SaGa is dead and gone. :(

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Prism posted:

This year is SaGa's 25th anniversary. SaGa 1, AKA Final Fantasy Legend 1, came out December 15, 1989 in Japan.

As far as I know, they are doing nothing beyond a tiny culture day event in Saga Prefecture, which convinces me more than anything else that SaGa is dead and gone. :(

Not true! They made... commemorative plates!

Oh, and also this thing.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/02/saga-creator-says-wait-little-longer-details-25th-anniversary-game/

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

They made a plate for Gustav the Steel? Why not a kitchen knife or something?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Huh, maybe there is hope, even if I half expect it to be a lovely mobile game.

RIP, Breath of Fire.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Prism posted:

RIP, Breath of Fire.

:sigh: no joke

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Prism posted:

RIP, Breath of Fire.

God, why did you have to remind me of that. :smithicide:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I've been replaying Breath of Fire 4 lately. It hurts so good. :smith:

I really love 5 too but wowwie is it easy to understand why that killed the franchise. :(

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Man, I'd love another (proper, non-cell phone) Breath of Fire game. I've replayed at least part of all of the first 4 games sometime in the last year or two. 3 is my personal favorite, but 2 and 4 are among my top games too.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Bufuman posted:

3 is my personal favorite, but 2 and 4 are among my top games too.

Man after my own heart. Rei's my best friend in so many ways.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

neongrey posted:

I really love 5 too but wowwie is it easy to understand why that killed the franchise. :(

Yeah. Hell, I consider Dragon Quarter the best of the five games but not only is it way different than what a fan coming in after any of the previous games would expect or want (especially considering that, some backsliding in 2 aside, the series was very good at linearly building on the game before it), but it's a very artsy, limited appeal game to start with.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I must be weird because for me it was 5>1>4>3>2. There's just something about the simplicity of Breath of Fire 1 that really appeals to me. It took me a while to get into DQ but I did really enjoy it once I gave it a chance. It really didn't get enough credit for how good it was at showing rather than telling during it's cutscenes.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I don't know how I rank them as a whole, but I honestly think 4 is my favourite, especially playing it recently. It's just such a melancholy story (right down to the colour palette relative to, say, 3!) in a way that you so rarely see. It creates such a feeling of weight and inevitability in me-- it's really a game where I actually feel tempted by the bad ending. Not, so much, in the sense that I feel compelled to agree with the choice to take it-- but it really becomes compelling to just give in, to go along with it, to not assert the rejection.

It's a nice touch. Whether Ryu is strong enough to (or wants to!) assert himself at the end really becomes a decision of the player, and the game is manipulative enough to at least make you (or me) pause for a second. And that's all you can really ask for, I think; the bad ending shouldn't be the thing you want to do, but it should tempt you, just a tiny bit.

So I really hope the anniversary SaGa game is a proper entry and not some shovelware. :(

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

neongrey posted:

So I really hope the anniversary SaGa game is a proper entry and not some shovelware. :(

Like Unlimited SaGa?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Verbose posted:

Like Unlimited SaGa?

*Spins a wheel*

*moves hexagons around a board*

Yes, anything but Unlimited SaGa.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Yes, anything but Unlimited SaGa.

I think most SaGa fans would rather take a moneygrab cellphone game like All The Bravest than they would take a repeat of Unlimited Saga.

Considering how poo poo-tier All The Bravest is, that's saying a lot.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

I think most SaGa fans would rather take a moneygrab cellphone game like All The Bravest than they would take a repeat of Unlimited Saga.

Considering how poo poo-tier All The Bravest is, that's saying a lot.

Unlimited SaGa actually did pretty well in Japan. I don't really get it either, but it came in #3 behind Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire on its release week (and come on, what's going to beat those) and ended up selling over half a million units in Japan.

It's not the worst RPG I've played, though, just really, really (really) obtuse.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 21, 2014

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

neongrey posted:

I don't know how I rank them as a whole, but I honestly think 4 is my favourite, especially playing it recently. It's just such a melancholy story (right down to the colour palette relative to, say, 3!) in a way that you so rarely see. It creates such a feeling of weight and inevitability in me-- it's really a game where I actually feel tempted by the bad ending. Not, so much, in the sense that I feel compelled to agree with the choice to take it-- but it really becomes compelling to just give in, to go along with it, to not assert the rejection.

It's a nice touch. Whether Ryu is strong enough to (or wants to!) assert himself at the end really becomes a decision of the player, and the game is manipulative enough to at least make you (or me) pause for a second. And that's all you can really ask for, I think; the bad ending shouldn't be the thing you want to do, but it should tempt you, just a tiny bit.

My ideal game would basically be BoF3 with the mechanics in BoF4.

And this thread has caused me to see if I can't hunt down my own copy of Saga Frontier and give it another go now that someone's explained the mechanics in a way i can understand.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Verbose posted:

Like Unlimited SaGa?

You know... there's a lot of things I'd call Unlimited SaGa, but I'm not sure shovelware is it. Someone put a lot of time and care into coming up with those terrible, terrible systems.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

neongrey posted:

You know... there's a lot of things I'd call Unlimited SaGa, but I'm not sure shovelware is it. Someone put a lot of time and care into coming up with those terrible, terrible systems.

My money's on Akitoshi Kawazu himself. For as many things as the man has done, you would think someone working in a company that makes video games would have a better idea of what good game design is. Buuut...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I need to see if any used game shops have BoF4. It was my favorite, even though I didn't beat it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

FeyerbrandX posted:

I need to see if any used game shops have BoF4. It was my favorite, even though I didn't beat it.

I imagine its probably pretty costly at this point. The Lp archive has a really good screenshot run through. BOF4 is not only my favorite BOF, but probably my favorite jrpg. The characterization, particularly of the villains, is among the best ever seen in games.

To echo the other posters BOF:DQ is criminally underrated, though it's not hard to see why. I feel like if it were released today it would be better received, since quasi rogue-likes have become popular in the last few years. Eleven years ago, people straight up didn't know what to make of it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Yeah, it'll probably cost quite a bit for a PSX game. However, there's always the option of buying it on PSN if you have a PS3/4 or a portable.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

You can get it on PSN if you don't mind just having it digitally. EDIT: beaten

Breath of Fire is the only RPG series where I liked and cared about every title enough to finish them. Granted there's only the five games but they're all really good even if some have aged a little.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I kind of prefer physical ownership, but I may just download it. I paid through the nose for Suikoden 2 before PSN was a thing, so it isn't going to be that painful.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

citybeatnik posted:

My ideal game would basically be BoF3 with the mechanics in BoF4.

And this thread has caused me to see if I can't hunt down my own copy of Saga Frontier and give it another go now that someone's explained the mechanics in a way i can understand.

So as someone who absolutely appreciated all the unique parts of BF4 and thought BF3 was the most generic jrpg since Legend of Dragoon, what's there to like about BF3? Generic anime art, generic anime characters, generic plot...I guess watching the kid go from swinging his sword blindly to more competence is kinda fun. I just don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

MartianAgitator posted:

So as someone who absolutely appreciated all the unique parts of BF4 and thought BF3 was the most generic jrpg since Legend of Dragoon, what's there to like about BF3? Generic anime art, generic anime characters, generic plot...I guess watching the kid go from swinging his sword blindly to more competence is kinda fun. I just don't get it.

The dragon gene system was fun to mess around with, the story does start to pick up about... 1/4 of the way through I would say, when it starts going more into what happened to the dragons...

Honestly, I was never that big a fan of BoF3 (despite owning it on PSP despite it not actually being released here. That... was an interesting find) and I had played BoF4 before it. I thought BoF4's dual storytelling was a much better way of doing it.

• Locked thread