Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

echronorian posted:

Cinema discusso > Star Wars: It's more accurate to say that the prequels predicted 9/11,

So did 28 Days Later, really. The whole premise there was essentially a biological terror attack on London.

The thing is that terror attacks occurred before 9/11, like the 1993 attack on the twin towers. What the first two prequels anticipate is a shift from humanitarian peacekeeping operations in 'Europe' - as a minor part of administering a liberal utopia - to western spies getting publicly executed in a desert 'Third World' after they're caught investigating a series of political assassinations/terror attacks. In other words, they go beyond Starship Troopers to say things are going to escalate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
With Josh Trank, Gareth Edwards, and now Rian Johnson, it looks like Disney is going for "nerd culture" favorites now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

sebmojo posted:

This dude grew up in the wops with his grandparents and only VHS tapes of 1940s movies for culture. I suppose you're wondering what it would be like if he saw star wars for the first time at 19 and liveblogged it?

Oh FFS now I have to read this whole thing.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

kiimo posted:

Oh FFS now I have to read this whole thing.

The guy's take was awesome. I know the music would be the first thing I'd focus on if I saw it cold for the first time today.

btw what is "wops"

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Rian Johnson is going to make me the happiest girl in the world

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

hhhat posted:

btw what is "wops"

A racial slur for Italians.

Odd that they'd announce the director for VIII so soon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sebmojo posted:

This dude grew up in the wops with his grandparents and only VHS tapes of 1940s movies for culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBqnCIjGXJ8

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's honestly not too surprising given how Abrams was announced as director of 7 in early 2013, almost three years beforehand. With Episode 8 likely hitting in 2017 (2016 is the Star Wars spinoff year and Disney is presumably holding to the plan of main series then spinoff) announcing a director now isn't too surprising given how damned big Star Wars as a production is in terms of scale and anticipation.

gently caress, I hope Disney unveils the hard plan for Star Wasr releases at Comic-Con (WB is rumoured to be laying out their slate for their DC properties then so it's a fine time to do it) given how Hollywood is warming up more and more to big announcements then. At the very least the subtitle for Episode 7, I can hope.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That doesn't even make sense. My slurs are always rigorously logical. It's an nz term for boonies, middle of nowhere sort of thing.

E: the terminator ones are great; the Arnold is a good robot reveal blows his mind

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 21, 2014

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have now read that guy's first and second take on the whole OT and it was awesome. The part about his own dad abandoning him was astonishingly touching. Whoever let him watch the special editions failed big time though.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

kiimo posted:

I have now read that guy's first and second take on the whole OT and it was awesome. The part about his own dad abandoning him was astonishingly touching. Whoever let him watch the special editions failed big time though.

He pretty clearly spotted all the additions, though. The best thing about this is that he's old enough to be articulate about voicing his undestroyed enthusiasm.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It absolutely drives home how utterly perfect a movie Empire is. Funny how even the Special Edition couldn't ruin it, in fact it's the only one that's improved by them with the cleanup and whatnot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Corek posted:

With Josh Trank, Gareth Edwards, and now Rian Johnson, it looks like Disney is going for "nerd culture" favorites now.

I hope this means we get a Boba Fett movie. Directed by Brett Ratner.

:unsmigghh:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Technically they haven't announced anything yet, but it's as close to confirmed as these things get before an official announcement.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Corek posted:

...not really? I don't know who Josh Trank is, but I know like one person IRL who actually liked Godzilla, and Rian Johnson's stuff has been a way bigger hit among the hipster crowd than anything else in my experience.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SALT CURES HAM posted:

...not really? I don't know who Josh Trank is, but I know like one person IRL who actually liked Godzilla, and Rian Johnson's stuff has been a way bigger hit among the hipster crowd than anything else in my experience.

Trank and Johnson were fan choices instead of Abrams, and everyone loves Godzilla (though Gareth Edwards wasn't really famous enough yet to be a fan choice back in 2012).

Corek fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 21, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

That's like, your opinion man.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Corek posted:

What's really odd is that they seem to be picking dudes for the plot content; every one of them has done a film centered around psychic communication and/or telekinesis (Edwards is the one exception, though his creatures still communicate subsonically).

But in the case of Looper, for example, the film has more of a Terry Gilliam vibe than anything in Star Wars.

Meanwhile, Star Wars was originally brought to you by the directors of THX 1138 and some obscure spy thrillers.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wow that's really a great choice. I just hope we don't see the same problems we're seeing with the Marvel movies.

What problems would those be? I don't pay attention to super hero movies or Star Wars, so it's a genuine question. The decision to put Rian Johnson in charge of a Star Wars movie is just an absolutely brilliant move, to me, so I'm trying to temper this unusual bout of extreme optimism with reality.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 21, 2014

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Now that Johnson's on board have Joseph-Gordon Levitt casting rumors for Ep. VIII started yet, or are we saving that for next week?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Star Wars 8 plot: Mark Hamill goes back in time to kill his younger self, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Yoda, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan, and Leia are all also Joseph Gordon-Levitt)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Star Wars 8 plot: Mark Hamill goes back in time to kill his younger self, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Yoda, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan, and Leia are all also Joseph Gordon-Levitt)

Unlikely, really

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Seems really stupid to change directors of the last 2 installments of the trilogy. It's not that I want Abrams to do all 3, it just seems silly to not have the same director for all 3. Trilogies are essentially one big movie, and that one big movie should have the same creative vision running through it. Instead, we're going to have one movie that will have a completely different tone to the latter two installments (since they both have pretty unique styles it'll be quite jarring I think) and Johnson will have to awkwardly incorporate whatever direction Abrhams goes in instead of being free from the get go to pursue his creative vision. Why the hell didn't they just get Johnson to do all 3 from the get go?

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Shakugan posted:

Seems really stupid to change directors of the last 2 installments of the trilogy. It's not that I want Abrams to do all 3, it just seems silly to not have the same director for all 3. Trilogies are essentially one big movie, and that one big movie should have the same creative vision running through it. Instead, we're going to have one movie that will have a completely different tone to the latter two installments (since they both have pretty unique styles it'll be quite jarring I think) and Johnson will have to awkwardly incorporate whatever direction Abrhams goes in instead of being free from the get go to pursue his creative vision. Why the hell didn't they just get Johnson to do all 3 from the get go?

I am so very glad that the original trilogy was all directed by George Lucas. I mean the prequel trilogy obviously sucked because they switched directors all the time.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They could be hedging their bets: if people find some reason to dislike 7, this way they'll still give 8 a shot.

Oh, who am I kidding? It's Star Wars.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What's really odd is that they seem to be picking dudes for the plot content;
They're picking people who have recently directed successful SF films.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WarEternal posted:

What problems would those be? I don't pay attention to super hero movies or Star Wars, so it's a genuine question. The decision to put Rian Johnson in charge of a Star Wars movie is just an absolutely brilliant move, to me, so I'm trying to temper this unusual bout of extreme optimism with reality.

Marvel Studios slowly controlling the movie process more and more as time goes on. Lots of directors have had issues with them, it's why Favreau didn't direct IM3, why Branaugh didn't direct Thor 2, why we got a new actor playing Hulk in Avengers, why Thor 2 went through about 3 directors, and why Edgar Wright is no longer directing Ant Man. Some of the stars (Portman, Evans, the aforementioned Norton, Weaving) have also expressed their dislike of some of their methods/desire to get the gently caress out.

edit: Not to mention their complete lack of desire to pay their stars fair wages. They relented because the one guy who they *were* paying out the rear end (RDJ) stood up for his costars.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yoshifan823 posted:

why we got a new actor playing Hulk in Avengers

That one was all on Norton because he wanted something dumb like final veto power over any part of the script.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

That one was all on Norton because he wanted something dumb like final veto power over any part of the script.

He did a full re-write on the script, plus touch-ups, and got no credit for it, and he wanted a say on the final cut of the movie and didn't get it. He can be hard to work with, but an atmosphere like that is bound to lead to clashes in his case. I don't blame him, if only because plenty of other, non-Ed Norton people have had similar problems.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

coffeetable posted:

They're picking people who have recently directed successful SF films.

Lots of people direct sci-fi films. They've chosen two dudes who have made Spielberg-homaging monster movies - and two dudes who've done, essentially, live-action Akira.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Marvel Studios slowly controlling the movie process more and more as time goes on. Lots of directors have had issues with them, it's why Favreau didn't direct IM3, why Branaugh didn't direct Thor 2, why we got a new actor playing Hulk in Avengers, why Thor 2 went through about 3 directors, and why Edgar Wright is no longer directing Ant Man. Some of the stars (Portman, Evans, the aforementioned Norton, Weaving) have also expressed their dislike of some of their methods/desire to get the gently caress out.

edit: Not to mention their complete lack of desire to pay their stars fair wages. They relented because the one guy who they *were* paying out the rear end (RDJ) stood up for his costars.

Uhhh ok? The movie business is always full of snakes and bitter bullshit. The final product has been pretty good in all of your examples though. Downey got Hella Paid because of a holdover from his contract in Iron Man and you know every other actor in set was jealous, so 'standing up for them' just sounds like self preservation.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Marvel is cheap as gently caress when it comes to paying people, it's a fact. Hell, Terrence Howard got paid more than RDJ on Iron Man 1 (which is why he didn't return for 2, because Marvel wanted to basically switch their salaries.)

Marvel is learning to spend more money on their movies (Cap 2 looks leagues better than Avengers effects and location wise) but they still think they can dick around directors and actors and not ocassionally get burned by it. Edgar Wright leaving almost burned them bad, but they recovered as best they could.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm going to be contrary and say I like Disney's handling of Marvel. I'm having trouble coming up with a way to say it, but I think you need a good producer to keep the great directors and actors from going hog wild. It's a thin line but there's more good examples than not, I think.

If someone shows me that JJ is done after 1 because he's sick of Kathleen Kennedy and not because he just wanted to do one and set the tone for the trilogy, then I'd be interested, but right now that's not what we're seeing, right?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

hhhat posted:

If someone shows me that JJ is done after 1 because he's sick of Kathleen Kennedy and not because he just wanted to do one and set the tone for the trilogy, then I'd be interested, but right now that's not what we're seeing, right?

I didn't think I'd say this, but I'm actually more excited about the off year one shot Star Wars movies they plan on doing than about the actual sequel trilogy. It could be an interesting contrast to the Marvel flicks if they actually allow for some more director and stylistic diversity on those. Like how the four Alien movies are all, very very clearly "Alien" movies even though they look, sound and feel completely different from each other beyond the basic design of the Alien itself.

At the same time what they've pulled off with the MCU has been really impressive overall and it's a great franchise even if I did dislike a couple of the movies in it.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Yoshifan823 posted:

No one forced them to sign the contracts though. Disney offered to hand people their biggest shot at getting (or keeping) a career. Steady work, for 8-10 years, in the biggest and most ambitious franchise ever filmed.

Yes, they were cheap, but people somehow still signed up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shakugan posted:

Why the hell didn't they just get Johnson to do all 3 from the get go?

If I had to guess, it's because Abrams showed with Star Trek '09 that he's a really, really good table-setter, in terms of establishing the look, feel and personality of a universe. This new trilogy is going to be, what, 30+ years, storyline-wise, after the original trilogy, so I'm sure Lucasfilm / Disney wanted someone who had proven himself able to not only direct a good sci-fi film, but also to get the wheels turning for future installments. Johnson's done some great stuff, but I'm not sure he's the guy you want giving you your first impression of this "new" Star Wars.

The other thing is that Abrams likes to only commit to one project at a time. He didn't commit to Star Trek Into Darkness until he had wrapped post on Super 8 (and because Paramount didn't want to wait on two franchises for him, Bad Robot put Brad Bird on Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol), and I'm sure he didn't want to be doing all Star Wars all the time for the next six years or whatever.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Timby posted:

The other thing is that Abrams likes to only commit to one project at a time. He didn't commit to Star Trek Into Darkness until he had wrapped post on Super 8 (and because Paramount didn't want to wait on two franchises for him, Bad Robot put Brad Bird on Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol), and I'm sure he didn't want to be doing all Star Wars all the time for the next six years or whatever.

Until now I had no loving clue Brad Bird directed that. I've ignored the mission impossible movies, should I watch this one?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

hhhat posted:

Until now I had no loving clue Brad Bird directed that. I've ignored the mission impossible movies, should I watch this one?

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

• Locked thread