Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MyLightyear posted:

Talking about noticing new jokes or lines, my wife and I lost it at Venkman's comment when he is talking to possessed Dana.

"What a _lovely_ singing voice you have.."

I always liked the 'It sounds like there's at LEAST two people in there already, might get a little crowded' line.

By far, though, Louis' introduction he gives for Ted and Annette Flemming is my favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

By far, though, Louis' introduction he gives for Ted and Annette Flemming is my favourite.
My favourite line in that bit is "That's why I invited clients instead of friends."

:v:

Also, it's not particularly subtle when you think about it, but it took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to get the joke about Louis constantly locking himself out of his flat and then later becoming the Keymaster.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've probably said it a few times but Louis's party is the best part of the movie. It's so silly but fits the character so well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I've probably said it a few times but Louis's party is the best part of the movie. It's so silly but fits the character so well.

Its one of those combinations of script and casting that fit together so perfectly that magic is created. I know I read somewhere that John Candy was almost Louis but I really can't imagine anybody but Moranis saying those lines.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Its one of those combinations of script and casting that fit together so perfectly that magic is created. I know I read somewhere that John Candy was almost Louis but I really can't imagine anybody but Moranis saying those lines.

Yeah, apparently John Candy didn't 'get' the part, wanted to be some German guy with a bunch of dogs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, apparently John Candy didn't 'get' the part, wanted to be some German guy with a bunch of dogs.

It was actually written for Candy, which is the strangest thing.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So watched Ghostbusters with my 4 year old. She loved every moment of it, but wanted to know when they caught Slimer again. (I've shown her massive amounts of The Real Ghostbusters)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So watched Ghostbusters with my 4 year old. She loved every moment of it, but wanted to know when they caught Slimer again. (I've shown her massive amounts of The Real Ghostbusters)

He rejoined the team of his own accord in 'Citizen Ghost' aka 'the creepy one with the old uniforms'.

It's on YouTube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE8yArpPLy0

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

He rejoined the team of his own accord in 'Citizen Ghost' aka 'the creepy one with the old uniforms'.

It's on YouTube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE8yArpPLy0

I hadn't seen that show since the early 90's, it actually holds up really well!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Don't think this was posted. A reflection on Ghostbusters 2. It seems like the movie could have been a lot worse than what we got.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67673

I still think with a little script tweaking beforehand Ghostbusters 2 could have worked.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

CaptainHollywood posted:

Don't think this was posted. A reflection on Ghostbusters 2. It seems like the movie could have been a lot worse than what we got.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67673

I still think with a little script tweaking beforehand Ghostbusters 2 could have worked.

I think it worked well enough as it was. It wasn't the best movie that ever happened- probably like a 6 out of 10 for me whereas the original GB was a 10- but I enjoyed it for what it was. I didn't really even get the complaint that it was a retread of the first. I enjoyed the first so why wouldn't I also enjoy a retread of it?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/unfairly-slimed-is-a-fantastic-headline-bravo-1593753904

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW
Confession: when it came out, 5 year old me preferred GB2 because it was more like the cartoon

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jason Funk posted:

Confession: when it came out, 5 year old me preferred GB2 because it was more like the cartoon

I kinda prefer the climax in GB2 due to the goddamned statue of liberty loving poo poo up. Not a terrible movie by any means though not great either, but sometime i just like uninspired fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy gently caress, that image of Vigo coming out of the painting.

Makes me upset we never got that. Also, how hard would it have been to add in the 'possessed Ray' subplot?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Also, how hard would it have been to add in the 'possessed Ray' subplot?

Even based on the script, it's really dark -- he actually goes nuts and tries to kill the entire team. If I had to guess, that was a cut mandated by marketing, because they knew there was already enough scary poo poo going on in the movie (the decapitated heads in the subway tunnel freaked the gently caress out of five-year-old me, and Janosz stealing Oscar from a rooftop ledge was pretty intense, too).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ah, I suppose that makes sense. Also, let us not forget:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Timby posted:

Even based on the script, it's really dark -- he actually goes nuts and tries to kill the entire team. If I had to guess, that was a cut mandated by marketing, because they knew there was already enough scary poo poo going on in the movie (the decapitated heads in the subway tunnel freaked the gently caress out of five-year-old me, and Janosz stealing Oscar from a rooftop ledge was pretty intense, too).

According to what I posted- a lot of that "scarier stuff" was added in AFTER.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ah, I suppose that makes sense. Also, let us not forget:

Yeah, as though it's possible to forget, that poo poo gave me more nightmares as a kid than The Exorcist.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
For such a goofy character, Janoz had some freaky loving moments.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, as though it's possible to forget, that poo poo gave me more nightmares as a kid than The Exorcist.

Even though it was made 25 years ago - the simpler effects like that hold up. Ironically most of the "ghost" effects - particularly from the second movie- do not.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There's definitely a stronger feeling of dread in the second film, which I always appreciated.

Watching it now, thanks Netflix! I can't seem to fit the DVD into the iPad. :argh:

EDIT: Also, woman who let Ray and Winston into the party is the internal affairs chick from Lethal Weapon (and Jenny's friend who shows up for 2 seconds to drop off little Forrest in Forrest Gump). Why do I notice this poo poo? I don't know.

Weird how they're playing their own theme song.

EDIT 2: I always loved just how tall Egon's hair became in the second film. Jesus christ.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 22, 2014

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Weird how they're playing their own theme song.

EDIT 2: I always loved just how tall Egon's hair became in the second film. Jesus christ.

Yes, that was very "meta" before meta was even a thing.

99% sure that was a result of 'trying to emulate the TV show'

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Yes, that was very "meta" before meta was even a thing.

99% sure that was a result of 'trying to emulate the TV show'

Yeah, and while I LOVED The Real Ghostbusters, I really wish the sequel wasn't a mix between movie and cartoon. :smith:

Also, I love the look on Peter's face when Egon gives him the epididymus line. Like "heh, yeah.... what does that even mean?"

Edit: Two things:

1. I never knew this existed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22bO-ayI7Hw

2. The music playlist from the 'New Ghosbusters 2' NES game (the good one that North America never got). The best part is, half of the level music is 8-bit versions of tracks from the soundtrack, including 'Flip City' (subway level), 'Spirit' (Vigo's altar) , and 'We're Back' (The river of slime level). And the theme song, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXr-IsDupE

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 22, 2014

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I just watched number 2 again for the first time in a while. In the beginning, Dana asks Egon if Venkman ever talks about her. I never noticed the little instrument reading he does behind her back when he tells her "no." Whether true or not, he said that just get a reaction for his experiment. Cracked me up.

Also, Janoz' speech about there being many perks to being mother of a living god: "I'm sure he will supply for us a magnificent apartment. And perhaps a car and free parking..." :lol:

EDIT: And now that I clicked the above links, I just realized that Bobby Brown was the mayor's doorman.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 27, 2014

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Ghostbusters 2 has its moments. I think Egon's "I had half a slinky. I straightened it." got the biggest laugh out of me out of either movie combined. That and Louis representing them in court.

"One time I turned into a dog and they helped me. Thank you."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
GB2 has "Do, Ray, Egon" which is the best joke in the whole Ghostbusters franchise-y thing.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Cyra posted:

Ghostbusters 2 has its moments. I think Egon's "I had half a slinky. I straightened it." got the biggest laugh out of me out of either movie combined. That and Louis representing them in court.

"It's OK Louis, we got arrested at night."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

LEGO Genetics posted:

"It's OK Louis, we got arrested at night."

I also love him pleading with the prosecutor after she makes an objection: "Come on, we're both lawyers." Then after the judge sustains and she's about to cross-examine Venkman, he gives her this :smug: "Your witness."

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
"That blue thing I got from her."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ah yes. The judicial misjangement order.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

And you don't want us exposing ourselves.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cyra posted:

I remember the followup to this being a lot funnier when I saw it as a kid than it appears in the transcript:

"Very good, Louis. Short but pointless."

For whatever reason I always remembered it as "Stupid, but... pointless." Which I've been repurposing as kind of a joke template my whole life. Both things unambiguously negative, but with a "but" anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There is definitely an argument that GB2 is the better movie for kids. It is more cartoony while also being pretty loving terrifying at certain points. Vigo coming out of the painting was one of the scariest movie moments I ever had growing up.

Also as a kid I thought "Two in the box!, ready to go!, we be fast and they be slow!" was badass.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

DoctorWhat posted:

GB2 has "Do, Ray, Egon" which is the best joke in the whole Ghostbusters franchise-y thing.
I know its always brought up but I don't think there's a more perfect moment than this in GB:

Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it's true.
[pause]
Dr. Peter Venkman: This man has no dick.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
On the TV overdub that I'm sure is still on VHS at my parent's house somewhere, the exchange goes something like:

Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by Wally Wick here.
[pause]
Dr. Peter Venkman: This man is some type of rodent, I don't know which.

Which in its own way cracks me up too because it's so absurd.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looks like IDW's run of Ghostbuster comics comes to an end in September. I for the most part have enjoyed their output, I wonder if the rights are going elsewhere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

On the TV overdub that I'm sure is still on VHS at my parent's house somewhere, the exchange goes something like:

Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by Wally Wick here.
[pause]
Dr. Peter Venkman: This man is some type of rodent, I don't know which.

Which in its own way cracks me up too because it's so absurd.

This is the version I grew up with. It was taped when I was six by my parents one night, and they missed the beginning. While I had seen the whole movie a few times by then, I went years and years having not watched the opening part with Alice that much, despite how often I saw the rest of the movie. There was also "What a knockabout-great fun THAT was!" when Peter emerges from the ballroom. Also, I'm pretty sure they cut out the ghost sex.

I still sort of expect to see the commercials that were played before or after certain scenes. Like right after "That wasn't such a chore, now, was it?", there was always a local jeweler's ad. Right after Stay Puft blows up, there's a commercial for In the Heat of the Night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinzKlortho
Dec 27, 2004
Are you the Gatekeeper?

What an rear end in a top hat.

Don't be that way. :(

• Locked thread