Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

halwain posted:

Beckerman you dumb gently caress.
Yellow card RNG killing a WR run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
If watching twitch chat freak out entertains you, now would be a good time. Bananas is running Oracle of Seasons and chat is in full tilt.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

If watching twitch chat freak out entertains you, now would be a good time. Bananas is running Oracle of Seasons and chat is in full tilt.

Surprising absolutely no one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Chat is always terrible so no surprise there.

Honestly I find the room worse. They are all just staring at her in dead silence. Its awkward as hell.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

Sir Tonk posted:

A female speedrunner, if you thought twitch chat was bad so far you haven't seen anything.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Chat is always terrible so no surprise there.

Honestly I find the room worse. They are all just staring at her in dead silence. Its awkward as hell.

Calling them worse is taking it a bit far, but holy poo poo are you right on the awkward part. I hope they soften up soon, because I can't watch this (and it's one of my favourite games :()

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

More like full tit

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

Calling them worse is taking it a bit far, but holy poo poo are you right on the awkward part. I hope they soften up soon, because I can't watch this (and it's one of my favourite games :()

Well, I mean its worse in the sense that you can ignore chat. The atmosphere of the room is killing this run though. I'm not saying they're all creeps or something but it just seems like they're too afraid to talk out of fear of making stuff awkward or something. Its dumb, the dead silence is way more awkward.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Get hype for Goldeneye and Rayman later on tonight!

Also despite all the misogynistic crap being being said in the twitch chat you have to admit the runner is cute :v:

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

I dunno, it's the first 15 minutes of a two hour+ estimated run, plus they're starting to talk now. A little too early to be worried about "awkward" silence in the room.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

bananas' is really good and I enjoy her streams.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Man, she's got some bad luck with those moblins. Gotta play safer.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Really wish Rayman Legends wasn't at 4 in the morning in my timezone, oh well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Desfore posted:

Man, she's got some bad luck with those moblins. Gotta play safer.

Even playing the game normally some of those screens can be big gently caress you's. :argh:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The couch seems to be talking now, I was hoping it wouldn't be two hours of silence besides bananas.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Thank you for being you, Bananas.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Please, do more SS speedruns.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Miku Hype

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I just noticed the little Tompa fill in on the couch. Thats hillarious

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
Now that the forums are alive again, I wanted to take a moment and personally apologize for the audio portion of our fuckups at the start of the marathon. This marathon has almost entirely new equipment, and we vastly underestimated how much time it was going to take to actually unpack and build everything. I personally never got a chance to do more than the bare minimum of level checks on the mics, and was never able to ring out feedback. We also didn't have time for the tech orientation, because I had to spend all morning fixing the Twitch Embed (and eventually chat), because apparently they don't support SSL. Forcing a site to switch from HTTPS to HTTP when everyone has the opposite cached and bookmarked was a nightmare, especially with Cloudflare being the ones handling the SSL.

Regardless, I provide that only as explanations, not excuses, and I acknowledge it was still unacceptable. We will not let a lack of preparation and testing bite us in the rear end next time.

Once we took the stream down to fix the video issues, I had an all-hands meeting with all runners and commentators on how to speak and wear mics. After that, I rang out the feedback, had proper mic tests, fixed a stupid newbie issue in regards to the output level, and compressed the hell out of it. Seemed to do the best work.

I'm still working on fixing minor pain points, like people breathing/eating the new headset mic. Hopefully I can get everyone to wear it properly because it's really a fantastic mic, but it's clearly a bigger pain to wear properly than a lav.

Helter Skelter posted:

The fact that Metal Wolf Chaos hasn't met its donation goal yet depresses me deeply.

Don't worry, GDQmonitor will not let this injustice stand.

---

Also, surprised no one mentioned the camera fall yet. Not really drama, but drat if I wasn't physically ill with worry over it. They are $2500 cameras, and one took a spill off of the tripod, because the tripod/mount was a piece of crap and literally wasn't holding it on. The camera's plastic casing cracked open hideously, and it couldn't turn. I had to pry off all the plastic and put it back together, and we were extremely lucky to discover that it still worked fine.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Cool Matty posted:

Also, surprised no one mentioned the camera fall yet. Not really drama, but drat if I wasn't physically ill with worry over it. They are $2500 cameras, and one took a spill off of the tripod, because the tripod/mount was a piece of crap and literally wasn't holding it on. The camera's plastic casing cracked open hideously, and it couldn't turn. I had to pry off all the plastic and put it back together, and we were extremely lucky to discover that it still worked fine.

I had a minor heart attack when I saw that, I'm glad to hear that it still works.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Cool Matty posted:

Now that the forums are alive again, I wanted to take a moment and personally apologize for the audio portion of our fuckups at the start of the marathon. This marathon has almost entirely new equipment, and we vastly underestimated how much time it was going to take to actually unpack and build everything. I personally never got a chance to do more than the bare minimum of level checks on the mics, and was never able to ring out feedback. We also didn't have time for the tech orientation, because I had to spend all morning fixing the Twitch Embed (and eventually chat), because apparently they don't support SSL. Forcing a site to switch from HTTPS to HTTP when everyone has the opposite cached and bookmarked was a nightmare, especially with Cloudflare being the ones handling the SSL.

Regardless, I provide that only as explanations, not excuses, and I acknowledge it was still unacceptable. We will not let a lack of preparation and testing bite us in the rear end next time.

Once we took the stream down to fix the video issues, I had an all-hands meeting with all runners and commentators on how to speak and wear mics. After that, I rang out the feedback, had proper mic tests, fixed a stupid newbie issue in regards to the output level, and compressed the hell out of it. Seemed to do the best work.

I'm still working on fixing minor pain points, like people breathing/eating the new headset mic. Hopefully I can get everyone to wear it properly because it's really a fantastic mic, but it's clearly a bigger pain to wear properly than a lav.

Don't worry, GDQmonitor will not let this injustice stand.

---

Bananas is reall good.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Surprise we haven't seen GDQ Monitor talk lately. Each time it show after a run it playing Cookie Clicker/Pinball instead of chatting.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Cool Matty posted:

Tech stuff

You and everybody else working tech at the Marathon have done a great job, don't be so hard on yourself!

I missed the camera falling though, when did that happen?

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Cool Matty posted:

It was definitely rough at the start of the marathon, but the work you've put into fixing the issues is the best apology you could have made.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Rirse posted:

Surprise we haven't seen GDQ Monitor talk lately. Each time it show after a run it playing Cookie Clicker/Pinball instead of chatting.

I'll give you a hint: it's probably because the guy in charge of it was asleep.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Rirse posted:

GDQ monitor always feels a little forced. Watching someone struggle through typing out a lame joke makes me feel a little embarrassed by proxy.

The marathon has been amazing so far, though. I just wish I had more free time this week. And early tech issues aside the production is fantastic. I really appreciate the audio being more level, instead of the applause being 10x louder than the commentary.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You and everybody else working tech at the Marathon have done a great job, don't be so hard on yourself!

I missed the camera falling though, when did that happen?

I think it happened during the Megaman races.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Yeah, it was right at the beginning of the Mega Man 6 race.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
A girl is running a game, I am legitimately shocked the room isn't 100% full.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Is she loving this up terribly or is she just vocalising every little mistake, making it seem like she is?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

The fact that Metal Wolf Chaos hasn't met its donation goal yet depresses me deeply.

It wasn't available as a donation goal until after I donated. :argh:

CJ posted:

Is she loving this up terribly or is she just vocalising every little mistake, making it seem like she is?

I'm seeing a lot of little things that are very suboptimal that she hasn't mentioned. As a run Oracle of Seasons just is not turning out well.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
There must have been runs done by women before this, right? I just can't remember any.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Bigass Moth posted:

A girl is running a game, I am legitimately shocked the room isn't 100% full.

Her Twitch chat is pretty full. It consists of people who have been banned from the main SDA stream complaining about how they've been banned or still making creepy comments about her.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Magic Underwear posted:

There must have been runs done by women before this, right? I just can't remember any.

I think there were at previous GDQs, also the Octodad race.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The Oracle games have a lot of weird RNG poo poo in the form of enemy placement, honestly. It's hard to get a 100% optimal run. Basically anything else I'll just chalk up to marathon luck.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012

Magic Underwear posted:

One of the Octodad racers was female (Misskaddykins)

I can't recall any others, but Essentia is female and running FF VI for the finale. She is amazing.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

CJ posted:

Basically every room has the enemies spawn in random places, so the randomness can gently caress with you a lot if you just wanna speed through it. Especially those goddamn bats.

But she has been making plenty of mistakes as well.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I think there were at previous GDQs, also the Octodad race.

Didn't Cosmo's (then?-)girlfriend do a run and a lot of people hated it and threw a fuss claiming she only was able to do it because she was Cosmo's girlfriend?

Or maybe I'm crazy, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Previous Jesus posted:

Didn't Cosmo's (then?-)girlfriend do a run and a lot of people hated it and threw a fuss claiming she only was able to do it because she was Cosmo's girlfriend?

Or maybe I'm crazy, I dunno.

I'm not sure about that. I remember a husband and wife team running New Mario Bros that people complained a lot about.

• Locked thread