Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, they also made all speech checks hard skill checks, under the justification that anyone who didn't pass a random one would probably just reload anyway.

Weirdly enough, you can still try to force open locks for a percent-chance to succeed, for some weird reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Neglect of non-combat resolution mechanics is the hereditary disease of RPGs, stemming from the original three-nippled cousin-fucker, Dungeons and Dragons.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

Replacing the Charm/Intimidate skills in ME1 with a system where you unlock charm/intimidate options by accumulating Paragon/Renegade points was maybe the worst mistake they made in the ME1 -> ME2 transition.

Not that the former was ideal, but the latter was really dumb.

I agree. It should almost be a generic "charisma" skill that you need to put points into, but it unlocks charm/intimidate options in conversation AND has a passive buff on your team in combat.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

PupsOfWar posted:

Replacing the Charm/Intimidate skills in ME1 with a system where you unlock charm/intimidate options by accumulating Paragon/Renegade points was maybe the worst mistake they made in the ME1 -> ME2 transition.

Not that the former was ideal, but the latter was really dumb.

It honestly doesn't feel that different. You couldn't upgrade Charm or Intimidate until you had the right amount of Paragon or Renegade points even in ME1. The only difference is that in ME2, you didn't have to waste points on two different skill bars during level ups.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
ME2 basically integrated the separate skill bars into a catch-all passive skill. So you upgraded your charm/intimidate alongside upgrading health, damage and cooldown.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also, remember that you had to unlock the higher levels of Charm/Intimidate in ME1 by doing Paragon/Renegade actions in the first place.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The biggest difference in ME1 and ME2 P/R was the requirements. Raw amount in ME1, percentage-based in ME2. That's what upset people, I think, like: "My renegade bar looks full, why can't I stop Tali and Legion from fighting?" and the stuff like that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 20, 2014

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I dunno', I kinda prefer the ME3 style where everything just goes into the same bar so you're not punished for doing both Paragon and Renegade.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Veotax posted:

I dunno', I kinda prefer the ME3 style where everything just goes into the same bar so you're not punished for doing both Paragon and Renegade.
Me too. Spend time talking to people? Get points. Then you can choose to be an rear end in a top hat or saint. Because sometimes you want to pat your friends on the back and then sometimes you wanna punch Han 'Gerrel in the gut.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SubponticatePoster posted:

Me too. Spend time talking to people? Get points. Then you can choose to be an rear end in a top hat or saint. Because sometimes you want to pat your friends on the back and then sometimes you wanna punch Han 'Gerrel in the gut.

What kind of influential person doesn't use carrot and stick, depending on the situation? Combining Paragon/Renegade into a general reputation meter was a very good move.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Before ME3, I thought about them having a purple text option for people that have fair amount of both paragon and renegade, but the ME3's reputation works for me.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Lycus posted:

The biggest difference in ME1 and ME2 P/R was the requirements. Raw amount in ME1, percentage-based in ME2. That's what upset people, I think, like: "My renegade bar looks full, why can't I stop Tali and Legion from fighting?" and the stuff like that.

wait, does that mean only the Paragon option saves both the Quarians and the Geth? I suppose that makes sense, if you just continue yelling at two warring factions it won't make them calm down and see reason

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Aces High posted:

wait, does that mean only the Paragon option saves both the Quarians and the Geth? I suppose that makes sense, if you just continue yelling at two warring factions it won't make them calm down and see reason

Actually, you can make them reach a peaceful resolution with either option, but those options only unlock if you meet some specific requirements beyond just the influence check. He's talking about the Tali/Legion fight that happens on the Normandy in ME2, which is a late-game thing (since you need Legion to see it, natch) with a high Renegade/Paragon check attached.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Aces High posted:

In 3 taking the Renegade options means you threatening the Quarians that if they don't stop being warring assholes you'll let the Geth shoot them out of the sky. Either choice will still end the war.

In 2 it takes a very high Renegade score percentage to pass that check. Even if your bar appears full you can still fail it sometimes and then either Tali or Legion go into the SM unloyal.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Worst thing about my first renegade playthrough is how much you cut off of the game's story. I'm guessing there are other ways to pick up some of these missions, but I still see a lot that go by without xp or reward of any kind (I hope they still count for the party member achievements.) Ashley in particular should be mostly discoverable as a character through renegade dialog options.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oooooooh we were talking about THAT decision, my mistake

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Best use of mixing paragon and renegade in the whole series for me was in ME3 where you can talk down Lawson with a reassuring paragon option them immediately shoot him.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
So, I've been running Wrex/Garrus on a PC achievement run. Everything has been coming up fine, and Garrus hit 5 missions ago. No dice on Wrex. Is this a known thing? Wrex joined me on the very next mission from Garrus, so at best he should be one behind. Is Wrex broken?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Now that I've finished ME3 is there a consensus on which ending is the "best" ending? Failing that is there word from Bioware on which one is canon?

Also to everyone who suggested I get the Citadel DLC, thank you, that was the most fun I've had with this series yet :3:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

No word on any canon ending.

There seems to be many people who pick Destroy for one reason or another. IMO, just pick the one that feels either right or the least lovely to you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Destroy includes the genocide of multiple species and is still by far the least monstrous of the choices.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

Destroy includes the genocide of multiple species and is still by far the least monstrous of the choices.

Which seems par the course since the major wars of the current civilization seem to end in genocide or near genocide.

Rachni Wars? Genocide

Krogan Rebellion? Slow Genocide

Morning War? Can end in Genocide

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The blue one is the best sequel hook.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

What's the best ending? That depends. What's your favorite color?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm a true blue control boy all the way

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

rypakal posted:

So, I've been running Wrex/Garrus on a PC achievement run. Everything has been coming up fine, and Garrus hit 5 missions ago. No dice on Wrex. Is this a known thing? Wrex joined me on the very next mission from Garrus, so at best he should be one behind. Is Wrex broken?
That achievement worked fine when I last played the game. If it is glitched for some reason, you can always just use a console command to give yourself the achievement.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
It would not be impossible to write a game in a way where the random number generator is seeded in a way that the skill checks always turn out the same, no matter if you reloaded or not. You would have to put some thought into it as to not easily change the outcome of the rolls by the player doing something else first but also to avoid situations like that Nicolas Cage movie where he could see into the future. :v:

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

Now that I've finished ME3 is there a consensus on which ending is the "best" ending? Failing that is there word from Bioware on which one is canon?

Also to everyone who suggested I get the Citadel DLC, thank you, that was the most fun I've had with this series yet :3:

As been said by others, there's no official ending yet. And it doesn't matter all that much because even by the game's own rules, the endings don't make sense. For Green you can rewrite the DNA of all beings in all the solar systems in our galaxy for "understanding" between every race and person so that there's eternal peace. Or for Destroy everything that uses Reaper code gets blown up. Geth, EDI, ship targeting systems (side mission in ME3), all of it indiscriminately just gets blown up.

Just take Control, be a real space cop.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cleatcleat posted:

As been said by others, there's no official ending yet. And it doesn't matter all that much because even by the game's own rules, the endings don't make sense. For Green you can rewrite the DNA of all beings in all the solar systems in our galaxy for "understanding" between every race and person so that there's eternal peace. Or for Destroy everything that uses Reaper code gets blown up. Geth, EDI, ship targeting systems (side mission in ME3), all of it indiscriminately just gets blown up.

Just take Control, be a real space cop.

Destroy all the way. EDI and the Geth would understand.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Destroy the infection for good, or infect yourself?

Gee, guys, let me just become a reaper I'm sure I won't go mad with power or just plain mad thanks to inhabiting the form of a huge spaceship that absorbs the consciousness of millions of people.

Great sequel hook. Terrible decision.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
But it's speculation! Create your own ending! Art! May as well go for it. Take Control, build rebuild stuff, kill off the Geth for good measure for always sitting on the sidelines until the final hour of the war and siding with the Reapers at first before getting their crap kicked in and joining the organics, then fly all the Reapers into various Blackholes. Now everyone is happy. And by everyone, I mean me. Meeeeee.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Destroy is the one true ending because gently caress being a martyr.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Destroy is the goal of the game from the beginning. Anyone who dies as a result would agree, as well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

Destroy is the goal of the game from the beginning. Anyone who dies as a result would agree, as well.

Everyone who disagreed had literal reaper parts sticking out of them. It's not subtle about it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Synthesis is the correct choice because transhumanism is always the right call.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

sassassin posted:

Everyone who disagreed had literal reaper parts sticking out of them. It's not subtle about it.

Yeah. It's strange how people will argue for any other ending.

Mario: naw, I'm not gonna rescue Peach. I'm going to merge with Bowser. That works. Actually, I'll just become lord of the koopas.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah. It's strange how people will argue for any other ending.

Mario: naw, I'm not gonna rescue Peach. I'm going to merge with Bowser. That works. Actually, I'll just become lord of the koopas.

See this is weird because to me choosing anything but Synthesis seemed irresponsible. Putting synthetics and organics on roughly equal footing seemed like the only solution that had any real teeth. Anything else is just kicking the can down the road.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Captain Oblivious posted:

See this is weird because to me choosing anything but Synthesis seemed irresponsible. Putting synthetics and organics on roughly equal footing seemed like the only solution that had any real teeth. Anything else is just kicking the can down the road.

Why would Shepard do this? At what point during the series does this seem like something anyone would do?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Why would Shepard do this? At what point during the series does this seem like something anyone would do?

Because the entire series, and especially Mass Effect 3, dwells extensively on the million (billion? I forget the exact timescale at work with the Leviathans and the Reapers) year old problem of "Synthetics and Organics literally can't stop loving each other over". You get rid of the Reapers, hooray, unless life as we know it is upgraded it'll just happen again when we foolishly construct the Harvesters and they don't really understand us either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Unless we learn from this war and are more careful when approaching synthetics.

• Locked thread