Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paris

Mmmm mmm, drat good "coffee".

Gathered around the small stained table in Al's rundown dry dock, the small group of friends and a maybe-friend shoot the poo poo over whatever they can find mutually interesting. Danny Boy and Al talk about motors, fixing motors, finding parts to fix motors, everything you'd ever want to know about loving motors, these two are pickin' each others brain for. Myself and Big Sven chat some work we'd been doing about a week ago, I'd asked him what happened to his shades, he didn't wanna talk about it, dunno what's up with that. Maybe he lost 'em, he always gets embarrassed about that kinda poo poo. Hardy was doin' her "quiet listener" bit, I swear to God she hears everything you say, even if, like, 20 people are talkin' at once. Every word, she hears it perfectly. Maybe she's got some of that psychic poo poo like I got.

Danny Boy stuck around for a while, too. Even after he'd finished his grilled fish 'n rice. That's most of what we eat around here, fish ain't too hard to catch and one of the warehouses, God knows why, was filled with rice and rice seed. Cool Pool figured out how to get it to grow, so she's basically untouchable now. Anyone who fucks with her deals with the consequences of loving up our food supply and the food supply of the rest of the island, that rice is our lifeblood, man.

The coffee, well, I don't ask many questions about where the coffee comes from.

Still tastes good.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, Danny Boy. Danny Boy's a pretty cool cat, had a camera with him, knew a surprising bit about the thing, even took a picture of us around the table. He said he came because Dick told him to talk to Al about fixin' the bikes, but I ain't sure about that. He accepted Hardy's offer to eat with us pretty fuckin' fast if he was supposed to get back to Dick, and as I speak, he's still here. S'cool, though, he ain't a bad dude to be around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Sethro

Now the body might have some electricity in it, that's just a fact of medicine most people would be able to tell you. What they don't tell you is the amount of hardware you're able to hook up just using that power. The answer: not much. So for this whole 'bio-mechanical arm prosthesis' thing to work it's gonna need a big fuckoff battery. The junkyard has plenty of batteries, but nothing with enough juice in such a small enough package. Not like you'd want to lug around a car battery jury rigged to your arm. Gotta be something hi-tech, Danny Boy might have a few ideas, so might uh...Bean... Danny Boy is looking better by the minute.

When not totally poo poo-rocked on chillstabs, the Respite has been eerily quiet. Ran into Trouble Man and Goddard, those motherfuckers. Term used incredibly lightly as they're cool guys. Very on the level. Neither volunteered to have an arm lopped off. They had a lot to say about the whole Market debacle, mostly back and forth about who's supporting who and generally getting way too political for a buncha people shooting each other. Either way it was something to do.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Sansa

When you want to rally people, you go first to someone they see as a hero. Sansa knows heroes fade, of course... so you go for the ones you've got while you have 'em. That's how it works, right?

In other words, Sansa goes to talk to Bagel. Sorry, Carcano Bagel. She's got an idea.

"Let's go talk in Coffin's pad," she sez. "I've got some good news and some bad news..."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Ebbs

No matter which way he went, Ebbs knew he'd have trouble. Some ways would probably be more dangerous. Going through the market would be like an open invitation to Puck or some other bastard to take him out. Ebbs couldn't count on people to help him if he went through the market. If he tried finding a new trail, then it would take too long. Ebbs didn't want to take a chance that he over exerts himself and collapses in the middle of no where. Only one option remained. The coastal path. Ebbs started walking. He knew he was taking a risk going this way, but no matter where he went now there would be a risk.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ebbs, who in the Wrecks and Wracks was happy to see you go? Who wasn't? But really, the beach doesn't care, small waves breaking and washing up on the sandy coast. Over and over and over. You trudge along, seeing the tracks of the motorcycles that tore through the Wrecks and Wracks just two days before. Wind hasn't destroyed them yet, and besides, there were a drat lot of them. Seems odd, though, a force to be reckoned with surely, and yet they didn't do more damage. But that may or may not be your concern any more, depends whether you go back there or not, whether you go back there as a part of their organization or not. That's for another time, though. Step, step, step. Blood on the sand, your blood. It's a long way to go, still. Time to think. Who's that up ahead, do they see you, do you know them?

"Queen Sansa," Carcano Bagel says as the two of you start walking towards the late Coffin's workshop, "like, I can't believe he just, like, broke, like that, like..." but then confusion transforms into a snarl. "gently caress him, we needed people and he like, gave up." Sansa, you press open the door and still sitting there is that infernal machine he left you. "And like, what are we supposed to do with this?" Bagel wants to know, somewhat indignantly.

Sethro, seems like you've been making some friends. I hear Trouble Man got his name almost as a joke - trouble never actually seems to find him. But now he's hanging out with you, that can't be safe, can it? Anyway, how do you plan on getting to Danny Boy? Would Goddard know where he is? Or are you going to start having to ask around? But then, poking your head in too many places can't be safe for you in the Respite, can it? Puck's gang is around...

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ebbs

He looked back and saw the blood trail.

"Dammit. loving guts are leaking out." Turning around he saw her further down the beach. Lexis waved at him and he waved back. She was a short brunette. Cute as hell and a bit younger then Ebbs. Ebbs had done some work for her father, Ernst Hemming. A few of the times when there weren't paying gigs, he'd go out with Ernst and help him haul in catches. Ernst was a widower and Lexis was his only daughter. Ernst and Lexis were both island natives. Ernst even continued his family's tradition of being fishermen. His plied the seas since forever. It didn't seem like Lexis was going to follow in his footsteps though. She dreamed of getting away from the island. Ebbs got to know both of them pretty well. After Ebbs and Ernst came in from fishing all day, Lexis would cook for them. Since her mother died Lexis took care of her father, making sure he was fed and taking care of the house. Ebbs wondered if that spurred Lexis into wanting to leave. Either that or one of those books she read. Her family had a small library of books and she probably read everyone of them twice.

Ebbs saw Lexis approaching and knew she would be worried for him. He didn't want to get her involved in his problems, but he knew she would. That's how she was.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Sethro

Yeah Trouble Man and Goddard are thankfully pretty averse to gangs so they didn't immediately sell me out as it were. Goddard is a student of the game and knows the ins and outs of Dick's crew and should know something about where they're holing up ever since the fire, if at all. Figure I could trade him my story of the short encounter with Puck's gang for any intel he may have. Otherwise the good ol' maelstrom might have something to say about it. Anything to avoid another bullet, or running into Bean.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Sansa

"gently caress if I know," says Sansa with a grim chuckle. "I figure if it don't explode in a few days I'll have Karlie poke it and see if it does something."

She gets down to business. "Ok, so I'm sure people are talking 'bout how we're hurting. I ain't sayin' they're wrong. This shore is still ours, but..." She sits down on Coffin's old stool. "How long has it been since I- since we tried to do something? I let us stagnate here, fighting over scraps with idiots. No more of that. That's done. We're gonna start moving."

She makes a show of counting on her fingers. "But we're short people, and we're short... elan, in the old tongue. I got an idea for that. You're with me." It's not a question. "I appreciate that, and you know me- my 'preciation gets you what you want. You know what we're gonna do?"

Sansa grins. It's kinda scary. "We're gonna go make some friends."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sethro, Dougie O'Malley's is at the heart of town. It's the old man's pub, and he runs a tight ship. Slinging drinks for favors, loyalty, or jingle, he's happy to see you. He's happy to see everyone, as long as they don't bring trouble. He used to run this town, but the past year or so he's retreated a bit, just wants to run his bar. That seems to be okay with everyone else, really. That all being said, it's not really where you wanted to be, but it's where Goddard wanted to be. Seems like he's got a table here more often than not. Who knows what he does, but he seems to have the dirt on most things. Dougie comments that he hasn't heard the radio do more than crackle, but otherwise just serves the both of you some whiskey and stands behind the bar, watching, listening. Goddard grins into his glass, then to you. "Words travel fast," he says. "Sometimes it's what you want to hear, sometimes it's not. I don't know what happened to Dick's old haunts, other than the obvious. I heard you might? But yeah, I know where he went. Story for a story, but you're the one who wants to know. Whatcha gonna tell me, Sethro?" He takes a big drink of his whiskey. "Good batch, Dougie," he calls across the bar, then waves his fingers towards you. "I'm all ears."

"God drat, Ebbs, the hell happened to you?" Lexis jogs over, leaving bootprints in the rocky sand of the beach. She quickly wraps an arm around you, helps you step. More help walking. She's not much smaller than the Queen, but just as strong. Maybe stronger. Fisherman strong. "Wasn't sure what to expect the next time I saw you," she says, with a hint of wavering memory, "but it sure wasn't this." The hilt of the dagger on her hip digs into your leg, but she adjusts it. Wheels start turning in her head. "You have anything to do with that bullshit in the Market?"

Bagel blinks. "Queen Sansa," she begins, then stops. She turns, looks out the door, stares at the sea. Just a few seconds pass, but it seems like a while. "These Wrecks and Wracks, like." The Carcano brushes hair behind her left ear, out of her face. You can't really see her face, but you can tell, her brow furrows. She's concentrating, searching for words. "You remember that storm," she asks you, Sansa, she tells you. "I was here, out of the shipwreck, I think." The verbal tic is gone, this the realest of talk. "Two years ago. Don't know where I was before that. Someone was standing over me when woke up. She said 'Civilization's over. You want what's left, or do you want to die in the woods?'" Those words are familiar to you, Sansa, aren't they. "Who the gently caress wants to die? I'm here right now, standing here, talking. Breathing. You said this day would come, when everything you'd built hung on the edge, with the wave coming in." She's getting louder. "I see what's happening, Queen. Like, instead of me, now you're standing over the Wrecks and Wracks itself." Bagel turns back to you, looks you in the eyes. Her arm comes up, slowly, like it's not even her lifting it. Two fingers near your face. Then she reaches farther, across your forehead, smearing your red paint across her middle and ring fingers. Then to her face, down her nose. Matching crimson stripes. "We're not dying in the woods," Bagel concludes; anger, loyalty, anticipation hang in the air.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Sethro

"Sorry about the radio there Dougie, I done fell off for a bit. Took a bullet." He gives the radio a loving pat as he walks by, always appreciates the few working models around the island. "Fell in love, got in with a bad crowd, got shot. Not really an exciting story. Trust." He saunters over and takes his seat across from Goddard. "What's a good story is the uh, the other broadcast on the island." He swills around his whiskey but doesn't quite drink it yet.
"So you know that old broadcast tower and the yard predates me, I'm just the one who got it working and started the ol' Sethro program. Well what I don't ell people is that when I first got up to Wolf Mountain the first thing I made for myself was a basic little radio so I could try to maybe find somebody. Anybody. Just wanted to make contact, dig? Well I did. Almost immediately." He takes a swallow, wincing as it goes down.
"Started out with a clicking. I figured it was something wrong with my equipment but after a while I found out it was a code. Something real strange that took me about a week to crack even with my mind working 24/7 and my brain wiiiide open. Once I could understand it I started transcribing and found out it was just the same message over and over and over, just some guy asking for help. Real official sounding, throwing around words like 'backup' and 'unit' and poo poo. Well I rigged up a shotgun mic and figured i'd do a little transmitter hunting. Took me another few days to lock it down and I almost missed it. Just a metal disc in the ground that when dealt with a little crowbaring revealed a rusted out lock and a tube going straight down. I could hear the signal only played for real, a voice carrying up to the surface. Only I couldn't really understand it until I really listened... you see?" He drains the whiskey and lets the glass clatter a little as it sets back down. "I tossed a rope down and shimmied my way into this little hidey hole and uh... no poo poo talkin' here I'm telling you what I found. Looks like a small radio setup, the moth-eaten remnants of a flag of some sort, an ancient looking revolver, a mountain of codebooks, and a loving skeleton. Elbow resting on the transmit button." He lets that last little bit settle before continuing on. "I tried to grab some of the books but they fell apart with basically any reading, otherwise I guess it's still out there. Something about it just doesn't sit right with me so I try not to think about it." He shrugs and lets out a focused sigh, "That story enough for you?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Paris, breakfast wraps up and those with definite things to do excuse themselves. Hardy's got to start the day's cruising, maybe meet with some of her fleet first. She never told you more than she wanted you to know, friends or no. Algonquin, too, has a motor to work on. He doesn't need the table, though, so feel free to stick. Big Sven seems content to stay, it's getting hot out and he's not supposed to make his next pickup at the Market until tomorrow. The mysteries of a contractor, who knows how he maks his business. He does mention that something went down at the Market the other day. Danny Boy confirms that it was some Serious poo poo, but again, he couldn't tell. The gang was busy with other stuff, after all. The gang. What a mess, he laments. And either way, Al is gone for now and Danny Boy didn't say two words about getting the bikes fixed up. Instead, he asks Big Sven about guns. Danny Boy says quietly that he feels something coming down the pike, and that he doesn't feel great about the small old pistol he carries. Then, Paris, he asks you. Can you feel it?

"Maybe, Sethro," Goddard replies, his whiskey also gone. "You still have those codebooks?"

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Sethro

Sethro clinks his empty glass in a lazy circle as he ponders. "I was weirded the gently caress out so after the first few turned to dust I was ghost, the rest are probably still there. I can show you the place but gently caress if I'm going back in there." He sets the glass down and pushes it to the center of the table.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paris

"Feel it? Man, I can see it. Or, actually, I'll see it, future tense. Just when it's startin' to go down. This whole island's got a real bad vibe to it, sour mojo out the rear end. There's gonna be bullets flyin' before long, and better or worse, whether I wanna be or not, I'm gonna be right in the middle. If we're lucky the only ones who go down around here are that rear end in a top hat Dovefeathers and his pack of knuckledraggers. Those assholes give the whole Delta a bad aura. Gonna be honest, your gang ain't exactly helping matters. After the poo poo that went down in the Market, I get the feelin' that the first little slip is gonna release all the tension and *BAM*."

That's when I catch a glimpse at the sun, where it is in the sky. I got real good at telling the time like that, and now's about the time I gotta meet Ms. Kincaid by Cool Pool's paddies. She's on guard duty today, wanted some company, I'm always one to oblige. I ask Danny Boy if he wants to come too, be good for him to expand his social circles a bit more.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Paris, Danny Boy rolls his eyes at the mention of his gang being an issue, but he doesn't exactly deny it either. Big Sven lets him know that after his next trip, he'll be back with a new gun for him. Big Sven doesn't mind fronting for guns, they're not hard to get rid of in any case. That business concluded, Big Sven heads back to his little truck, and Danny Boy follows you on down to see Ms. Kincaid, retying his headband as you walk. "What's the bullshit with Dovefeathers?" he asks as you walk.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paris

"Ah, Dovefeathers is just a fuckin' scumbag. Problem is, he's a fuckin' scumbag with enough burly motherfuckers with guns who listen to what he's got to say that he thinks he's the authority around here. He bosses people around and most don't or can't say poo poo about it. Realistically, there's about 4 or maybe 5 people with enough pull to stand up to him; Cool Pool, Hardy, Al, and Doctor Royce are the definites, we can't live without 'em. The maybe is Chicago, but that's less 'pull' and more that nobody wants to poke that tiger. The real problem, personally, is that Dovefeathers sees me as a rival. Not as a leader of the town or nothin', no, it's way fuckin' worse than that. It's because I'm more popular with all the women around here. He thinks he's the hottest motherfucker ever to walk this goddamn Earth, and every time he sees me it's a hard kick right in the ego. He sees the two of us together, he might just start shooting on sight."

Alaois fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 17, 2014

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Sansa

Sansa thinks back. Nods slowly. "Yeah. We're not. We're gonna ride that wave to a new shore." She pauses. "Not literally. This is my fuckin' shore. But I've been reminded that sometimes its change or die, I guess. So its time to try change first, 'cause gently caress the other options."

She grasps Bagel's shoulder. A comforting gesture. "You're with me. I've got an idea that might not go over too well with some of the others, but I think you'll like it. What we're gonna do now- together- is make 'em believe. I'm loomin' over alla us and they know it. But they're scared. Some of them are thinkin' that those woods look real nice, maybe the hurt'll stop."

She looks at the strange, thrumming machine again. "So we gotta show them that I've got a way to make what's left into something they can take. So here's my idea."

"We gotta go see some idiots on bikes about an alliance."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ebbs

"Helping out the Wrecks and Wracks crew. I owed them for helping me out when I got into a jam. The Queen had a plan and I backed her. Not sure if it went the way she wanted. Guess this is my way of saying, yeah, I'm involved in the mess at the market. Now I'm paying for getting involved in that mess." Ebbs leaned on the girl. He knew he wasn't going to be able to get to the doc at this rate. Maybe if he could just rest at Lexis's place.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Dick

Things with Dovefeathers are going... a little awkwardly. Now, let's get this out of the way, I think he's a piece of poo poo. There are worse people around, and there are much better; overall, I don't care for him. But we ended up in his territory, and I'm in the uncomfortable situation of needing to make some more friends, so I've been forcing myself to act nice. I'm smiling. Asking him how he's been, how's the... uh, family? He's got a brother, right? But that make-nice poo poo doesn't come naturally, and he can tell it's forced. So he thinks I've got some kind of angle. Which is true, but it's a pretty benign one.

Not keeping any secrets from him, though. Raided the wrecks, got shot a little, just passing through. We're not in the mood for starting any poo poo, and he ought'a be glad for that. If he wants to start some poo poo, or try to get some, I don't know, 'gesture of respect' out of us, he's picked a really bad day for it. A lot of my buddies are looking for an excuse to vent their frustrations by ventilating someone, so I'm trying extra hard to be nice.

White Dave, in particular - 'pparently he was holding a torch for Lara, and he's way pissed that I sent her to her death. But of course he won't come out and say as much. Never mind the fact that she got picked off from far away, at night, while it was raining, and who the gently caress could've seen that coming?

poo poo. Her death's bothering me more than I thought it would. I want to torture the living poo poo out of that Wracks sharpshooter, but I don't even know who it was.

Just about everyone is with me, the wounded plus those who're walking their broken bikes. Except Spock; He got his autistic rear end lost somewhere in the wilderness. That happens a lot, actually, but he usually finds us again a couple days later. Island's not that big.

Anyways: Dovefeathers. I've got all that stuff on my mind, too, and he's probably picked up on the fact that I'm all, distracted and aggrieved and poo poo. It's awkward. It hasn't been my best showing. I let out a heavy, defeated sigh, cut the small talk, and lean forward onto my handlebars. I say, "Alright, Doves. We're having a bad day, an' we didn't come here with a mind to start anything. Did you, like, want something?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

"Nah, Sethro," comes the response. "I think I've got an idea where you're talking about," Goddard says with a twinkle in his eye. "I'll figure it out." He rubs his hands together. "You wanted to know where Danny Boy went, right? Dick's gang went to River Delta. I suspect they'll be there for a while, but you never really know with those fools. Larry's heading out there on a food run in half an hour, you can probably bum a ride with him. I'll tell the DZA where you went." Goddard shrugs. "Or don't, you can figure it out for yourself." And then Goddard slaps the table heartily and leaves abruptly.

Danny Boy, for his part, turns his head ever so slightly when you finish explaining Dovefeathers to him, Paris, like something caught his ear. But before anything else is said the stony path twists and reveals Ms. Kincaid around a blind bend; the grove is too thick to see through. You make some introductions; Ms. Kincaid is pleasant though her rifle never leaves a close ready. She's caught between tensing that Danny Boy is around and relaxing because you're around. "Let's walk," she says. Gotta keep up the route. "Thanks for coming down." She looks at Danny Boy, like she's trying to decide what to say in his presence. "I got a bad feeling about today, Paris," she eventually says simply. How's Ms. Kincaid looking today? Tired or fresh?

"Motherfucker," Lexis spits. "You know how many fuckin' fish we lost because of that debacle? It's been two days of poo poo rotting! gently caress, I don't know if we're gonna recover. Pops went to go negotiate credit today; I'm looking for clams. gently caress! We even lost Emmack in the fighting. First good worker we've been able to find in months." She doesn't stop helping you walk, though she is getting angrier. "Who started that battle, anyway? poo poo doesn't make sense, Ebbs."

"Aww, Dick, you didn't?" Dovefeathers asks sarcastically. "Because I want you to start something." Then his face breaks out into a huge grin. "I'm glad to hear you're looking for a fight, because I have the perfect excuse for you to shart shooting." He rubs his hands. "See, you roll on Hardy and her captains tonight - they come back on shore every night, you know, they don't have good enough lights - and I give you a piece of information you're dying to know." He reaches into a back pocket and comes up with a lit match, then blows it out. Into your face, of course.

Bagel nods enthusiastically. "Gonna get, like, weird." She's back, Sansa, and better than ever. "Like, they went that way -" gesturing towards the West, "with us shooting them all the way, like." She thinks. "Don't take Rosa. Iggy, like, way better choice. Like, how many people are you gonna go find them with? Oh! Like, we have a few of their rides, if they, like, didn't get busted too bad."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paris

Ms. Kincaid's looking about as fresh as someone who's been pulling guard duty for 3 days straight can, all things considered. If John Funk hadn't hosed up his knee he'd be able to switch off days with her like normal, but of course that idiot had to get drunk and mouth off to Gaucho. The bags under her eyes were more noticeable than ever, which was a real shame. A drat shame, even. Still, she was pleasant company, nicest armed-to-the-teeth shoot-trespassers-on-sight sentry you'll find on this island. Pretty obvious she didn't know what to make of Danny Boy and to be honest, that's not a bad thing. It's her job.

"I'm definitely feelin' you there, Kincaid. Everything feels real... it's like there's static on everything, y'know? Touch anything and you get a good little zap, but it's still buildin' up. Eventually, somethin's gonna make it all discharge and it'll fry the whole Delta. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding static electricity, Al explained it kinda weird." Danny Boy looked a bit confused by the metaphor, but he just nodded like he understood anyway.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Sethro

"I...thanks!" Sethro starts to get up to go after him but he's a little to fast. He plumps back down in his seat and ponders where in the hell to find Larry. He cranes his neck over towards Dougie, "Hey Dougie, any idea where I could find this mythical Larry and his potential ride? You know I'm still getting used to being around the Respite his much."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ebbs

"Its that bad? drat. I don't know if things are going to get better soon either." Ebbs didn't realize how Sansa's action would impact other people. That's probably why he didn't want to get to close to anyone. The moment you start to get close to people, bad things happen and you want to help them. Its not always possible to help them though.

"I know Sansa had a fight near the market, but she only did that because she thought she was losing control. I think someone or some group is upsetting the balance of power on the island. And people like that, they don't care about the people who might be affected. People like you and your father."

Ebbs wondered how much of this mess was due to his involvement. Maybe things wouldn't have gotten this bad if he just walked away when he had a chance. He had to do something now to try to make up for what he did.

"I'll tell you what Lexis. If you can help me out a little bit, then when I get fixed up I'll be back to help your dad."

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Dick

I keep my face blank. After the hot smoke passes over my face, I take a deep breath, and count (in my head) to three, to keep calm and prevent myself from feeding that match back to him.

I ask, "Hardy? You got somethin' against her, or do you just want a boat? I dunno if you've done much sailing, but in case you haven't, I'll spoil the surprise for you: there's nowhere to go. If you want us to waste our time and ammo on that, you're gonna have to do a lot better than promising some juicy gossip. That don't fill my tanks."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Sansa

"Hey, don't get too enthusiastic. It's a job, Bagel." Sansa is smiling a little anyway. "Find me 5 people who you think are the best. We'll take their rides back to 'em, not like we can really use 'em anyway. Besides, they'll probably give us more respect iffen we come on their terms, get me?"

She rises, heading for the door. "You've got a chance to make a real difference 'round here. Let's make it count."

She pauses. poo poo, I gotta pick someone to hold the fort while I'm out... well, Bran should be alright.

With a little hope, she reemerges into the light of day. Another day, another disaster. But that's civilization, for you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

"Don't know a damned thing about static 'lectricity," Ms. Kincaid replies. Then she switches gears. "How long you think it's gonna take Dovefeathers to get at some of the girls in th' biker gang, Paris? Danny Boy? One of yus knows the gang, one of yus knows the man." She chuckles, slightly, but makes no indication of why she wants to know. Ms. Kincaid doesn't usually gossip, though. "About four seconds for Ding," Danny Boy says, trying and failing to avoid sounding derisive.

Sethro, Dougie just smiles and points to the other side of the bar, where you catch a fat guy wearing overalls and maybe nothing else rolling his eyes. A couple of other people that you don't recognize, but Dougie sure does, walk in.

"It doesn't really matter why I want them gone, Dick," Dovefeathers snaps. "But do you want to know who burned the Hill down or not?" The grease in his hair shines in the late morning light.

Sansa, Carcano Bagel nods and heads off, walking with a purpose. Coffin's device still sits, but it seems like you've decided to leave it for now; solve that problem when you can. "QUEEN," the call comes from a ways off as you step back outside. Well, that's Nimzovitch's voice. But where is he? "What the gently caress are we doing? We got a two-front war going on and we're half dead, poo poo doesn't add up!"

"And I don't give a poo poo who owns what slice of this drat Island, Ebbs! We just want to sell fish. Fish! Food! People need to eat!" Lexis growls in frustration. "I think we'll get the credit, Ebbs. How else can you help?"

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Sethro

Sethro awkwardly coughs and gives Dougie a thankful little wave as he saunters over to Larry and has a seat near him. "My name is Sethro, hello Larry." He tries his best to smile and make eye contact but can't help but be a little jittery when it comes to the newcomers entering the building. It pays to be a little paranoid on The Island, Sethro has come to learn after being injured a few times, so these people could potentially be Puck's hitmen come to end his life. Or just thirsty respite dwellers. Hopefully the latter.
"So uh," he sets his arms down on the table and tries to smile again, "I hear you're taking a little ride later. Got any room for a hanger-on?"

Not sure if this is a charged sitch,if it is i'd like to read it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if you roll for it, it is charged. Roll away.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ebbs

"What is it you need? What would help you out the most. That's what I'll do." He didn't know if it was guilt or obligation, but he wanted to do something to help Lexis and her father. "If you need to get your fish to market, I can do that. If you need a buyer, then I'll wrangle a buyer for you. Just let me know what you need and I'll take care of it."

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Sethro

Read a sitch: 2d6+1 6

Welp.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Sansa

Sansa breathes in deep. Here's the first problem of the day. "I know, Nim- how did you know it was me anyway... eh, never mind." She scratches her head and files that under "things to ask later." "I've got Bagel workin' on something that should fix botha those problems fast as anything." She looks around. No Nim. This is gettin' to be a weird sorta day. "But yeah, I know. We got problems. And I'm gonna fix 'em, same as always. I got the bastards who beat ya back, and I'll... I'll make sure you get what you deserve, Nim."

Maybe don't tell him 'bout maybe allyin' with the people knocked his eyes out. He might take that the wrong way. Sansa raises her voice, pitches up to be heard.

"You're gonna trust me to deal with this poo poo the way y'all always have. I've always tried to do right for alla us, and that ain't ever changing. We're here to fuckin' stay, y' got that? Sometimes poo poo goes wrong, but I will make it right."

Because that's what I've got left. Makin' things as right as I can.

I wish Gregs were here.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paris

"Pfff, that piece of work'll be creepin' on 'em the second he can make 'em out. Practicin' his 'game', throwin' out the shittiest lines you can think of, runnin' his hand through that greasetrap that he calls hair. Worst thing is, doesn't matter if it works or not, it always makes him even more of a shithead. They reject him, he gets all pissed off and bitter about it and takes it out on everyone else. It works, it just reinforces his delusion of being the hottest poo poo."

I spit off to the side (not into the paddy, of course), mouth was getting dry from bitchin' about Dovefeathers so much.

"But enough about him, anything else goin' on today?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sethro, Larry just laughs. "Always. Butcha owe me a favor." He's earnest and smiling. Seems like a good guy, right?

"YOU GONNA PUT MY EYES BACK IN, SANSA?" and then all is quiet. All's been quiet though. Just the crash of waves on the beach, wind blowing. How's the food situation? Do you know? People are starting to work, scavs emerging from their tents and shanties. This is the Wrecks and Wracks, as it stands now. Now. The sunrise looks like fire.

Paris, Danny Boy laughs. "Oh, that ugly fucker? Thought I saw him skulking around. Almost definitely four seconds." Ms. Kincaid pipes up, "not really. Not yet. But something is going to. It's just loving going to." Do you have time to wait around with her? Or are you due somewhere else?

Probably guilt, Ebbs, you're the one that iced Emmack. But maybe you don't care. I don't know. "I need that market open and bustling. We can't afford to get our poo poo all over everywhere...we also need a worker. But you're in no shape," Lexis says.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Sansa

"If I could, I would," says Sansa quietly. She ain't even sure he's listening any more. "People decided to call me Queen. Some of th' books that washed up- some of them say that Queens could cure diseases and poo poo by touchin' people and poo poo." She looks around. "Well I been touchin' this Island all the dang time. Things have improved. Things have backslid. People's eyes gone missin'. People's eyes got shut."

Her voice is raised, pitched to carry to everyone. A message, a reminder.

"But I'm gonna keep on doin' it. I ain't done 'til this place is healed. Until we're all standin' together 'gainst the fuckin' problems, instead of tearing at each other. I'm gonna have to kill some people, 'cause some people can't stand that- they gotta tear and tear and fuckin' tear until somethin' gives. Some people I care about have died. Will die. Will get hurt. But I- we- have to believe it's fuckin' worth something!" She's near screaming now. "We have to believe that we can fuckin' make things better, even when things go fuckin' bad, or what's the FUCKIN' POINT!? So come hell, high water, or fuckin' judgement day, I am going to keep making things right!"

She's quiet again. Talking to herself, almost. "I lead because I have to. I lead because I have a direction and everyone else is wanderin' in fuckin' fog. I pick a direction 'cause anywhere is better than stayin' lost. That's what bein' Queen means."

She turns on her heel without another word and goes to talk to some randos and scavs, makin' a point of her presence. Bein' a light in fog. Food's never been the problem for the W&W- that's why Sansa made sure to set up seaside. There's always fish, no matter how tired of it you are or how bad it tastes. No, W&W don't starve, never has. They don't wither. They glut. Then they get restless. Then they get violent. Then they get angry at the results. Sansa's let that cycle happen over and over, thinkin' it was movin' forward, inch by inch. That maybe one day they'd glut and be satisfied. But that's never happened.

She's convinced now that she's been lost in fog. Time to pick a different landmark.

Pick a direction. Be the light. That's what a Queen fuckin' is. What Puck will never be. What Sansa has to be.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Sethro

Sethro smiles right back, "Well alright buddy, you probably know what sorta favors I can provide. I'm not exactly the kind of guy you want beating a sucker's head in with a crowbar but if you need something rad outta my junkyard the door's usually open."
Excited, he slaps his hands on the table then holds out his right for a shake.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Dick

I'm not a hundred percent on what exactly my face looks like, or what I'm doing with my mouth. I do notice that I have to snap my jaws shut again. Point is, Dovefeathers probably notices that, yeah, he has exactly what I want, and I want that bad. I'm not sure I believe him, though.

I tell him, (again keeping myself calm), "Buddy, if you know who started that fire, holding out on me is a knee-cap-level offense. If you don't know poo poo, and you're just tryin'a get me to do you a favor for an empty promise, well, that's a screaming-through-next-week level offense."

I (again, very calmly), flip my Thompson's safety off, and tell Dovefeathers, "Yeah, we can do business. We can make Hardy regret whatever it is you have against her. But we don't work on credit, and you're going to tell us about the fire first."

Go Aggro: Dovefeathers, speak: 2d6+2 11

Does he need me to elaborate with an 'or else'?

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 30, 2014

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paris

Looking back toward the sun, using my hand as a visor, I could tell I was late for another appointment across town. gently caress.

"Thousand apologies, Ms. Kincaid, but I just realized I've got somewhere else to be. Danny Boy here could probably stick around, if you want, though."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ebbs

"The market open and bustling. That's a tall order." He thought about it. Pulling this off was a massive undertaking. How many different factions on the island were going after each other currently? Could they all agree to leave the market as a neutral ground? He wasn't sure if it would be possible or not, but he had to try.

"O.K. I'm gonna head out. See about getting myself fixed up and then I'll see what I can do about the market. Maybe if I could get everyone to agree that keeping the market a neutral ground. That should fix things right?"

He didn't stay much longer, figuring he needed to head out again.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

"Market always was neutral, Ebbs," Lexis says. "But I guess there's not a hell of a lot more you can promise. You've been in deep with the Wrecks and Wracks, and come out the other side. I think they learned their lesson there, or at least you can convince them they did. Whoever's on the other side of that bullshit? Well, I guess you're not one of the best deal-makers on the Island for nothing." She smiles at you, a wan resigned smile. Maybe your consciousness is fading, but all of a sudden you're staggering again, alone on the beach. Lexis is a faint figure, working out in the surf. If you can just keep going a little more, you should be able to make it there. Should. But that red trail on the sand...tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...

Paris, Danny Boy excuses himself as well. Maybe he's got places to be, maybe he's just uncomfortable alone around Ms. Kincaid. Maybe her instincts are right, maybe they're wrong. She's not Cool Pool's best-regarded guard for nothing. Either way, you're headed up to the northern part of the Delta, right where the river begins to end. West bank, well south of the nearest bridge but north of the floating platforms and dockfingers that make up the roads of the Delta. The high-rumble of an engine, much smaller than the bikes that have so recently invaded, comes from out of the woods. A single ATV emerges; one man riding. He spots you, waves, and pulls up. He's dirty, well-armed, well-armored, and looks like he means business. The motor cuts, and he offers a handshake. He's got a cap on, definitely seen its share of hell. "Lightning Jack," he introduces himself. "Your reputation precedes you, Paris." He slings a small sack to the ground. "I've got need of your expertise, and there's my up-front offer." Sack's full of oddments and such, probably worth 1-barter. "Another one just like it when we succeed." All business. "We're going cannibal hunting. I'm gonna go settle up with Charly Jo'sun."

Larry grabs your hand enthusiastically, Sethro. "Ready to rock? Today's haul is: scrap metal." Sethro, tell me about Larry's truck. Can you tell why Larry does the most business hauling poo poo? Or is it more of a mystery? What's kick-rear end about the truck? What could be improved by, well, almost anything?

Sansa, who went out on the perimeter watch last night? Did anyone? Palisade repair is going surprisingly well. Not great, but about as well can be expected. Antrelle's got that project under control. How long has it been since you needed to rebuild the wall? It's been a a while for sure. Good to see people still understand the importance of walls. Where's Rosa? What's her job - why wouldn't Bagel wanted Rosa to be anywhere near the diplomatic mission?

Dovefeathers' face twists. He grinds his jaw, realizing that he isn't cowing you, Dick, at all, or probably ever. He knows he's got leverage, but he also knows that you're probably in a position to outmuscle him, even with the leverage. So it turns out, if he wants to get what he wants, he's got to fold first. "It was Jeet," he spits. "You know who Jeet is?"

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Sethro

Sethro is excited he's got this chance to actually see the mythical truck he'd only heard about in a few interviews with particularly savvy folks on The Island. He's sure to inspect the hell out of it before getting in. The front is a pretty normal lookin' truck but with a monster engine and giant rear end custom hood scoops to let it breathe. Huge off-roading tires too, this thing can haul just about anywhere. Now the real magic happens about halfway back where it's obvious that the truck ends and something more imaginative starts. Seems like somebody decided a heavy duty truck and some construction vehicle needed to have a baby, and this is the lovechild. The rear has the treads of what appear to be some sorta construction or hi-tech military vehicle from way back in the day, either way they're huge and made for whatever terrain The Island can throw at it while towing who knows what. The rear, even piled high with scrap metal, is gonna stay on the ground and keep the front end going at a decent clip.

Sethro can't get the smile off his face. Engines and poo poo weren't exactly his game but he knew how to appreciate workmanship, feel? Ideas start to flow through his head though, this rigout could be better really. When your hauling stuff sometimes it pays to move that poo poo around at the same time.

"Hey Larry, you ever think about mounting a crane up in this? Get some controls up in the cab, maybe a little camera so you can see what you're doing..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paris

Lightning Jack. Heard the name a few times around the island, never really assumed much about the guy before now. Definitely looks like the real deal. Smart about his ride too, ATV seems like the way to go on the rough Island terrain. And that sack, *whistle*. Always a good feelin' to get what's comin'.

"Clean up the Island and make bank doin' it? poo poo, man, that's how you do an introduction! Let me take a second to stash this and we can get rolling."

• Locked thread