Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
yeah u gotta unlock long trips for better money. i try to haul mostly bonus cargos (dangerous, fragile etc) so business is going well. need to borrow the 5 hundy and get a new garage / drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
def coz it takes a while for them to be good enough to make da cash

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZSBrM2SybY

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

load debt, buy rigs, get bitchws

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

do y'all use a wheel and pedals for this game or just your dumb keyboard

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echipepe has a custom made truck game zone no children/girls allowed

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I don't have a wheel and pedals unfortunately but I do have an oculus rift

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
If I get a truck can is get an airhorn like the general lee from dukes of hazzard? That's p much all I'd want and maybe some sweet art on the door I'm thinking something tasteful with wizards

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

nice KKK reference

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elder Postsman posted:

do y'all use a wheel and pedals for this game or just your dumb keyboard

i use cursors keys 90% of time and then wasd when right hand gets RSIy

any analog input can be accurately reprsented with pulse width modulated keyboarding

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im usually poo poo at games but unusually great at driving games

gta 4 - im a mother fuckin champ at weaving. dirt 2 and 3? fuckin ace. this truck sim? epic win

ALL with the keyboard. anyone who says it can't be done is a father fucker

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I'm bad at all games no matter how long and often I play them including truck imulatoes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
truck sim is easy. its not really a challenge except in patience

skill isnt really necessary. this is a come-home-from-your-daily-bus-driving-job and then zone out living the high truck driver life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh and for people that sperg about trucks

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i bought an 8 euro chinese clone of the xbox wireless adapter so I can use my xbox steering wheel with this game.

also I drive a hot pink daf

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat son that is a good idea

I have my pc at my couch mostly (well the monitor plus wireless jey/mousr on coffee table in front) and sit back with my keyboard and relax while driving. I have a budgo not-analog controler USB powered but no USB thing long enough

need a dedicated truck controller

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugmrgw:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

owns

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I'm bad at all games no matter how long and often I play them including truck imulatoes

same

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

heres my sick rig op. it has three gears.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I set my starting city to Luxembourg (where I grew up irl) and it has recognisable landmarks :3:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fib posted:

I set my starting city to Luxembourg (where I grew up irl) and it has recognisable landmarks :3:

yeah it does for most cities and places.
it's limited though

hopefully in version 3 they will add realistic signage etc because as a eurogoon the lack of different signage is slightly jarring.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I shouldn't be allowed on the road

HONK HOOOOOOOONK

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
you know those arcade driving games that become impossibly hard to meet the times with? yeah.. I'm loving sick at those especially the rally versions.

stick it in manual, people gather round me like #wow #whoa.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

yeah it does for most cities and places.
it's limited though

hopefully in version 3 they will add realistic signage etc because as a eurogoon the lack of different signage is slightly jarring.

really? as someone who has no idea I'm often impressed with how much of the small things change amonsht countries, which was mostly signs and street lights etc

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I tried the Rift support and this is both the best and worst game for the Rift right now. It's great because any game where you're sitting and want to freely look around works well with the rift, it's nice to lean way out irl and lean out of your truck. It's terrible because the text and indicators and landscapes all make it super obvious how low resolution the rift is. Also my eyes got really tired from focusing on the rift for a while.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so jealous

I hate view 1 because it's so unlike being in a real can because in a real cab all the vision in front of me where my monitor would be, and a lot more, is view outside, but because my monitor is not meters wide it means the actual view out the window is in reality much smaller than would ever be in real life. it feels like a joke

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
get a trackIR maybe, they're cool for sims

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i hired drivers, they r super poo poo. i will never pay off this $500k loan

otoh i got air horns for my truck :getin:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the drivers do start out veu poo poo. on garage view u have a ill grid on left that shows the % of gettig to 150k/week income and it starts out very small/ u just gotta wait they will get better and better. maybe get drivers to train long hail too

I kinda wish I coul sit back and wait for my company to grow but u still gotta drive :/ is that what being your own boss means? hard work?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fib posted:

I tried the Rift support and this is both the best and worst game for the Rift right now. It's great because any game where you're sitting and want to freely look around works well with the rift, it's nice to lean way out irl and lean out of your truck. It's terrible because the text and indicators and landscapes all make it super obvious how low resolution the rift is. Also my eyes got really tired from focusing on the rift for a while.

yeah, the rift is basically poo poo for anything that isn't a low-detail cartoon. it does not work for modern games, at all. but you can see the potential there.

anything with a cockpit is amazing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that a dundamental problem or just isn't good enough YET

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
It's not fundamental in that it can be improved on, but to achieve a truly great display in a VR display you'll need 120fps at better-than-retina resolution (because of the lens distortion magnifying some pixels). By the time the consumer version of the rift comes out, it should be pretty sweet but there's still going to be a lot of room for improvement.

The other issue is the focus/convergence problem, where the depth where your eyes cross (corresponding to the 3d simulated depth of the object you're looking at) doesn't match the depth at which they individually focus (onto the rift's screen, with some correction by the lenses). The depth of convergence is going to vary as you look around the 3d world but your eyes have to stay focused at a fixed distance to make out the image on the screen and this doesn't match what your eyes would be doing irl and tires out your eyes, it feels a lot like when you spend hours staring at a monitor without a break. This one is going to be much harder to solve, here are some carewords if you care https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2450

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

oculus rift is nice but not good enough yet which is why i'm waiting for the market version.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i may have crashed a few times lately. got to level 10 and a third driver, will put a sick engine in my truck soon

bobbilljim fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 1, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
level
10? gently caress mate you're a machine

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

"tommy came to us and said, if you can't think of a name for this computer company in 2 days, we're just going to call it hot wheels."

-- chuckie, co-founder, hot wheels computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

PleasureKevin posted:

"tommy came to us and said, if you can't think of a name for this computer company in 2 days, we're just going to call it hot wheels."

-- chuckie, co-founder, hot wheels computer

• Locked thread