Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Archonex posted:

Fort Zombie was pretty moddable though. I remember I despised it until I picked up a mod that made it a bit better. Also, digging into the files revealed that you could allow for Breakdown style play by ramping the days until the final siege way the heck up.

The controls were abysmal though. I can't even remember what was wrong with them other than that fighting was an exercise in frustration. I think I ended up tweaking something that made it slightly more tolerable later on.

Really, Fort Zombie plays sort of like a proto SoD though. If you've played SoD you've seen all it has to offer. Heck, everything from the raiding of neighborhoods to get supplies to the sieges in Lifeline are there in a more primitive capacity.

The main thing I remember about Fort Zombie was that it was incredibly poorly optimized and probably had a memory leak somewhere. It was a huge system resource hog and somehow managed to look like utter poo poo and still run like rear end anyway. I had to turn the settings down to minimum to even play it at all on what was at the time a new computer - and on 'minimum' it looked like you were playing the game through a censor blur. I didn't play it for very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Archonex posted:

Fort Zombie was pretty moddable though. I remember I despised it until I picked up a mod that made it a bit better. Also, digging into the files revealed that you could allow for Breakdown style play by ramping the days until the final siege way the heck up.

The controls were abysmal though. I can't even remember what was wrong with them other than that fighting was an exercise in frustration. I think I ended up tweaking something that made it slightly more tolerable later on.

Really, Fort Zombie plays sort of like a proto SoD though. If you've played SoD you've seen all it has to offer. Heck, everything from the raiding of neighborhoods to get supplies to the sieges in Lifeline are there in a more primitive capacity.

Yeah the combat and the health systems were the worst. It was impossibly hard to kill zombies the gun system made it that even with great skills you could waste a lot of ammo killing a single zombie and the melee system while not bad didn't kill fast enough or give you a way to deal with a horde without getting hit. Then once you got hit you could heal 10% of your max health once per day but each hit did 30-50% and status effects took days to remove. The base building was very minor as well only able to make traps and barricades to defend against the final siege.

Never new about the mods or being able to increase the days to final siege, that was my biggest problem with it usually. Just staying alive took most of your runs into town so by the end you barely had enough ammo, weapons, or survivors to be able to hold off the couple hundred zombies you had to deal with.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

So, state of decay is the daily deal today at 4.99, is it worth it now?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Renzuko posted:

So, state of decay is the daily deal today at 4.99, is it worth it now?

Yes, get Breakdown.

Maybe lifeline.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So how does the game play on a mouse and keyboard? Lost my 360 when I was booted from the house and I want to give this game a proper go again.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Leal posted:

So how does the game play on a mouse and keyboard? Lost my 360 when I was booted from the house and I want to give this game a proper go again.

I very much like it on keyboard/mouse. It's still not the best shooting I've done, but it's gotten much better. The main problem is that the console 'snap to head' feature just isn't there. This also makes rifle spec useless on PC.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Leal posted:

I like it a lot. It's a little goofy because WASD move you in cardinal directions rather than strafing, but you get used to it before long. I'd much rather have mouse + keyboard than controller, but I'm a PC guy in general, so...

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Wow. I just had a great Breakdown moment. I started a new game with a random survivor who turned out to be an alcoholic pack-a-day smoker with Sports Trivia and Beer Pong. I spawned near the fairgrounds, and took out the first couple of zombies. I looted a couple of nearby military stashes and got a stack of grenades and a rifle, but no food or medicine. Checked the map to see what enclaves I could join up with, and my choices were the church in Spencer's Mill, the farmhouse, and the Alamo. I went for Spencer's Mill, because I figured I could clear out the town and try to build up supplies (and skills) before moving to Snyder Trucking and/or the RV.

It only took about five minutes of jogging/sprinting to find a pickup truck, so the trip to the church wasn't too bad. But when I got there, a screamer and a bunch of zombies (but not technically a Horde) were just hanging out in the parking lot, and they immediately honed in on me before I could take out the screamer. I eventually managed to smash through the gate (getting 'downed' twice in the process - still no food or medicine) and tried closing it, but kept kicking at the zombies because they were rushing through. Then the gate closed on its own. I was almost totally out of stamina, so I staggered towards the church, hoping to at least get some help from the other survivors. There was a zombie in the yard between me and the door. In the time it took to jump-kick him and get back up, the rest of the zombies had busted through the gate and rushed me. I went down for the third and final time at the bottom of the steps, literally at their doorstep, and not once did I see any other survivors fighting any of the zombies.

But, thanks to the military stash, I managed to pull out a grenade and drop it, unlocking The Sacrifice, Erik Tan! Except that he uses Alan's voice set (the rear end in a top hat ranger in the base game). Still, it's better than starting with a random lovely survivor.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah enclaves inside a house will never go out to fight anyone, sadly.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Is there a mod that can fix/turn off the "stuff happens when you're not even playing" feature? The game's 5 bucks on steam right now, but I'd probably only play it in short bursts with long breaks, so that feature would pretty much ruin the game for me. (Apologies if this was covered before, but the thread's pretty long and it's not in the op).

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I have no idea if this works/is legit/won't steal your credit card as I've just googled it, but http://www.zombiestandardtime.com/

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Myron posted:

Is there a mod that can fix/turn off the "stuff happens when you're not even playing" feature? The game's 5 bucks on steam right now, but I'd probably only play it in short bursts with long breaks, so that feature would pretty much ruin the game for me. (Apologies if this was covered before, but the thread's pretty long and it's not in the op).

I'm pretty sure the effect is pretty minor and it will stop after two days. When you come back, they might be a little grumpy and lower on resources than normal but that should be it, right?

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

OK thanks. Bought it.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Or you could be my brother, and have two people commit suicide when off for one day.

We still can't figure out why, perfect morale, lots of supplies, multiple counselors, no issues.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
The latest Patch Notes from June 18th are great and all, but they are still not addressing that damned crashing. In fact, I got a brand new crash error message today that leads me to believe they might be giving up on trying to fix it :v:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah, in the past few days I've been getting a lot more crashes then I had been (including that one!)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Bondematt posted:

Or you could be my brother, and have two people commit suicide when off for one day.

We still can't figure out why, perfect morale, lots of supplies, multiple counselors, no issues.

Could one of them have been turning into a zombie and killed the other before getting killed himself?

I had that happen in my first vanilla playthrough. Ed turned, which killed Alan.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there such a mod that changes the reload times from stupid to reasonable? I'm playing Lifeline and I find it hard to believe that trained soldiers take 30 seconds to reload their guns, especially when you have the skill maxed out. It's doubly so considering that DLC practically begs you to use firearms with how plentiful and easy they are to pick up.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm playing through this for the first time and holy hell this game is incredible. So much fun.

How do you swap out a tired survivor if there's no one in the camp to swap with? Can I just make my survivor go to sleep?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

No, but you can mainline coffees and pills to reduce fatigue until someone is available or you make a new friend. Try breaking open food/medicine supplies if you're desperate and none are in the supply locker.

Or take a break from the game for a day, I think simulated time passing should reset exhaustion.

The game is really drat fun, especially when things are going horribly wrong, but I was really disappointed with Lifeline. I'm hoping they introduce a breakdown mode where you bounce between the two maps.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Hey guys, is the DLC worth it? Rather, is the DLC worth the current sale price?

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 22, 2014

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
Breakdown is worth getting for sure. Honestly, it's what the main game should have been. Personally I found Lifeline just alright. You could always just grab it during the next sale (probably with a heavier discount) if you like the main game + breakdown enough.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Is there a current overhaul mod that works with the latest patch? Archonex is still working on his, right?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Doltos posted:

I'm playing through this for the first time and holy hell this game is incredible. So much fun.

How do you swap out a tired survivor if there's no one in the camp to swap with? Can I just make my survivor go to sleep?

Starting with a random chump, getting dropped in the middle of nowhere with jack poo poo for gear, and then having to walk a couple miles to even find a loving car to drive to an outpost before you even have the chance to begin making friends, all the while eating trucker pills, chugging coffee, and chewing through methadone like it is candy is what this game is all about.

Tommofork posted:

The game is really drat fun, especially when things are going horribly wrong, but I was really disappointed with Lifeline. I'm hoping they introduce a breakdown mode where you bounce between the two maps.

I would probably pay for it. I probably should expect it to be included with Lifeline, but these guys made a great game and I have no qualms about throwing money at them.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I recently bought the game and dlcs and have only played like an hour so far. I've been mostly reading the last few six or seven pages and OP for how tos and tips. I see people mention gameplay mods but are there any recommended graphical mods? The UI looks pretty bad in particular.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

afkmacro posted:

I recently bought the game and dlcs and have only played like an hour so far. I've been mostly reading the last few six or seven pages and OP for how tos and tips. I see people mention gameplay mods but are there any recommended graphical mods? The UI looks pretty bad in particular.

Not that I've seen. It's not a looker, but there are some nice moments with the original game's music kicking in as you climb a tower at dusk, the lighting is decent.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just picked up this and Breakdown from the Steam sale and I'm loving it so far. Just one question though: Is there a way to rest/speed up time as an active character? My current dude is exhausted and it's the middle of the night, so I don't feel like going out.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

PunkBoy posted:

Just picked up this and Breakdown from the Steam sale and I'm loving it so far. Just one question though: Is there a way to rest/speed up time as an active character? My current dude is exhausted and it's the middle of the night, so I don't feel like going out.

Switch mans. Hit up on your D-Pad/go into your journal and select a different household member. You should be doing this anyways to level more people up and make sure your whole survival scheme isn't based on one hero

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Phuzzy posted:

Switch mans. Hit up on your D-Pad/go into your journal and select a different household member. You should be doing this anyways to level more people up and make sure your whole survival scheme isn't based on one hero

You have to talk to the people though with your current dude, right? You can't just ... select them can you????!!!

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

redreader posted:

You have to talk to the people though with your current dude, right? You can't just ... select them can you????!!!

You can select them. Though if you do you want to be in your home anyway, otherwise the person you're switching from might not make it back home in one piece.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

Everyone else has given you sensible advice so let me be the first to ask: have you considered ingesting those random pills you pulled out of some guy's bathroom cabinet?

I beat Breakdown 6ish with just Amelia Crasman and a backpack full of amphetamines.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

I beat Breakdown 6ish with just Amelia Crasman and a backpack full of amphetamines.

She is such a badass. One of my favorite, if not the favorite, of all the heroes. Survived through some ridiculous poo poo with her, time and time again somehow.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

HiroProtagonist posted:

She is such a badass. One of my favorite, if not the favorite, of all the heroes. Survived through some ridiculous poo poo with her, time and time again somehow.

She and Lyanna Carter are two of my favorite heroes and almost always my most badass ones.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So happy I got this during the flash sale today. It really looks like its going to be the survival game I've always wanted to play, but didn't want to play day z and do online. The fact that it has mods makes it even better potentially (well...beside weirdo mods), especially one that just keeps only regular zombies in it.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 29, 2014

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

gfanikf posted:

So happy I got this during the flash sale today. It really looks like its going to be the survival game I've always wanted to play, but didn't want to play day z and do online. The fact that it has mods makes it even better potentially (well...beside weirdo mods), especially one that just keeps only regular zombies in it.

Where are these mods?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Where are these mods?

On the Undead Labs forums, and the Nexus has a section for them. Beware though, some of them are old and won't work with Breakdown/Lifeline, or even work at all.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Where are these mods?

We also have a lot of mods right here in this thread. Archonex cracked open the treasure chest of modding, and some of us contributed to his efforts. I know that I found some neat stuff and helped him pioneer some stuff, and I'm not even a programmer!

Its not incredibly difficult to do a lot of simple mod stuff.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Okay, I remember seeing a promo or two a while ago for this, and I sorta shrugged at it and figured it'd be dumb. Now that I'm looking at it again (thanks to the Summer Sale) I am now very much interested in this. Just picked up the whole shebang for like 11 bucks.

Is there any required mods or anything I need to know before I hop in with both feet so I can crush some undead sonsabitches?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Nope! The main game will teach you all about the game and how to play. Once you finish that, jump into the other two.

Breakdown is a progressively harder version of the game. See how long you can last before you can rebuild the RV and move to the next level.

Lifeline is a look at what the army was doing in all this, and running around with a shitton of trained professionals murdering zombies, while a radio DJ berates you for running around murdering zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Okay, explain something to me please.

I'm doing the main game and I just got some meds for LUPUS and antibiotics. My character is 'tired' and it's night. How do I sleep?

• Locked thread