Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
You mean, as a job/module? They tried a Robocop module before. Turns out, if you don't like how questionable Security can be when it comes to doing their job, you are going to hate what happens when you give said Security solid metal bodies.

Borgs can be emagged which removes their laws, but then you're at the mercy of that cyborg's personal mental state, and there's every chance they will rampage, or go off to settle their own grudges, or just not care and go back to what they were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Iretep posted:

I think on goonstation only way to get seperate laws is to get emaged.
Syndieborgs also have laws that don't match the AI's, and if an AI has to be replaced mid-round, things get strange.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

You mean, as a job/module? They tried a Robocop module before. Turns out, if you don't like how questionable Security can be when it comes to doing their job, you are going to hate what happens when you give said Security solid metal bodies.

Borgs can be emagged which removes their laws, but then you're at the mercy of that cyborg's personal mental state, and there's every chance they will rampage, or go off to settle their own grudges, or just not care and go back to what they were doing.

Oh, that does sound kind of problematic. I guess I'll just have to settle for cutting off a security volunteer's limbs and replacing them with robot parts.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Oh, that does sound kind of problematic. I guess I'll just have to settle for cutting off a security volunteer's limbs and replacing them with robot parts.

I once had a round where QM was overful so I wandered off and robotics equipped me with treads, an arm, and a chainsaw arm. I wanted to get a Robocop change from the HoP but never found him after that. That chainsaw arm was cool as heck but not being able to pick things up with it killed me in the end when my normal arm blew off.

Relatedly, sometimes I get arrogant and don't equip interals when I should wanting to carry around a backpack AND utility belt. Rounds like that tell me that I am risking it all.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Friendly request to Scientists: can you please stop spawning as Changelings? This has to be, no joke, the sixth time this week I've walked into the Toxins Gas Storage to fill up my oxygen tank - literally the very last thing I do before I leave the station - only to get accosted and killed by a 'Ling within the first two minutes of the round. Dying right when the round begins is not fun, and dying right before freedom to do gently caress all is even less so. Thank you~

EDIT: Apparently the most recent 'Ling who killed me in this manner got bolted into Toxins after a failed rampage attempt much later into the round. He then proceeded to spend the following half hour getting shocked into crit and burning all of his DNA on Regenerative Stasis. HOLY poo poo THE KARMA I'M LAUGHING TOO HARD HELP

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 28, 2014

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

SL the Pyro posted:

Friendly request to Scientists: can you please stop spawning as Changelings? This has to be, no joke, the sixth time this week I've walked into the Toxins Gas Storage to fill up my oxygen tank - literally the very last thing I do before I leave the station - only to get accosted and killed by a 'Ling within the first two minutes of the round. Dying right when the round begins is not fun, and dying right before freedom to do gently caress all is even less so. Thank you~

EDIT: Apparently the most recent 'Ling who killed me in this manner got bolted into Toxins after a failed rampage attempt much later into the round. He then proceeded to spend the following half hour getting shocked into crit and burning all of his DNA on Regenerative Stasis. HOLY poo poo THE KARMA I'M LAUGHING TOO HARD HELP

That was me. I haven't played for a while so I don't really know exactly how the game works any more that well and there were no mentors on to help me. Did I break a rule by killing you? I really didn't mean to, I was just doing what I thought my job was as a changeling. I had no real idea how to get out, the only way I remember to break out of places is to go through the doors or windows and since those were both shocked I kinda had to brute force it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

SL the Pyro posted:

This has to be, no joke, the sixth time this week I've walked into the Toxins Gas Storage to fill up my oxygen tank - literally the very last thing I do before I leave the station

Are the stock pressures on Air/02 gas tanks not enough? You can lower the pressure and they last a pretty long time.

Edit: Unrelated but is there a good way to attack monsters as a borg? I know you can't at all as an AI shell (I felt so useless on the ice moon I was a scout with a light and couldn't help any humans being mauled.)

Comic fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 28, 2014

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

That was me. I haven't played for a while so I don't really know exactly how the game works any more that well and there were no mentors on to help me. Did I break a rule by killing you? I really didn't mean to, I was just doing what I thought my job was as a changeling. I had no real idea how to get out, the only way I remember to break out of places is to go through the doors or windows and since those were both shocked I kinda had to brute force it.
You didn't break any rules by killing me, don't worry! I was just upset. Antags and non-antags are supposed to ruin each other's fun, that's what makes the rounds entertaining.

The thing is that the AI didn't break any rules by hounding you either. The situation is this: once you do something changeling-y that shows you aren't human and the AI witnesses it (which it did), you are then a "confirmed non-human enemy" which means he doesn't owe poo poo to you and is allowed to harass you as much as he wants, to lethal extents if he feels like it - this applies to Cyborgs too. The AI is literally the changeling's worst enemy, which is why dealing with the AI (either by killing it, or by subverting it with a well-written law or two) is usually a 'ling's first major goal.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 28, 2014

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Comic posted:

Edit: Unrelated but is there a good way to attack monsters as a borg? I know you can't at all as an AI shell (I felt so useless on the ice moon I was a scout with a light and couldn't help any humans being mauled.)
What options you have really depends on your module. If all else fails, you can always go Gordon Freeman and whip out the trusty old crowbar.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Time for a write-up!

quote:

Download My Mixtape

So the round starts off like any other, right? Everyone goes off to gather their typiocal start-of-round supplies for what they plan to do. I was a hapless Scientist who desired to gather stuff for a possible secret chem recipe and then gently caress off to space. I had just entered the Toxins Gas Storage to fill my emergency O2 tank-

Wait, poo poo. There was a Changeling in there. And he just acided me. Welp, I'm dead.

Exasperated at having died in this exact manner and location for what had to have been the sixth time this week, I set my Ghost to observe the Changeling and went off to make some popcorn. I came back to see him taking his second victim in the Chemical Testing Lab. This was apparently his pattern for the round, aciding people and dragging them back to the Research Sector where he could take his time killing them. It looked like a sound plan.

Then the AI saw him.

The AI of the round, K.O.R.A.N.G.U.L.O.S., was apparently quite foul-mouthed to everyone, human or not. He was eventually given a law that equated to, "using and swears or slurs at all is considered harming a human." While K.O.R.A.N.G.U.L.O.S. was figuring out how to deal with this, he caught sight of the Changeling fresh off of his latest meal in the Toxins lab. He promptly bolted and electrified all the doors.

Naturally the Changeling was less than pleased about this. Thinking he hadn't been seen, the Changeling used his current human identity to inquire why the room was suddenly locked down, and eventually demanded he be let out. The AI's response?

"Download my mixtape." Use your imagination as to what this means.

Having come up with a suitable workaround for the swears-harm-humans law, the round quickly devolved into a bout of K.O.R.A.N.G.U.L.O.S. versus the Changeling. As it turns out, much to my delicious karmic delight, Toxins is a great place to trap people in, as there is no conventional way out of the room and the 'Ling just so happened to not have many tools on him. The next twenty minutes consisted of the 'Ling bashing into an electrified grille until it gave since it had no other way out, which then led it into an electrified RD's Office. It had to burn up its scant amount of DNA on Regenerative Stasis due to all the electric shocks it took, eventually getting smart and cutting power to the room before tackling the grilles again. The Changeling's boasting at getting out was met yet again with "Download my mixtape."

It turned out that the boasting was premature, as the Changeling had wandered into a trap. With the doors to the main hallway bolted, the Changeling went for the Chemlab exit instead - which K.O.R.A.N.G.U.L.O.S. promptly locked down with the lab's privacy shutters. Well poo poo, now the Changeling was stuck in an even worse place than the Toxins lab. It proceeded to spend another twenty minutes scrambling around the room looking for a way out, somehow managing to shock it self again on a shuttered window grille. K.O.R.A.N.G.U.L.O.S. eventually called the Escape Shuttle, to which the Changeling loudly objected. The response was, yet again, "Download my mixtape."

Showing gradually more intelligence, the Changeling eventually realized that the door to Belt Hell hadn't been locked, and it took to space. It had clearly never done space travel without a jetpack before, stumbling around comically as it frantically threw items away so it wouldn't wind up on the next z-level. It eventually found its way to Customs and came in through the airlock, looking to have achieved victory in reaching the main hall and all its fleshy meals again - whoops, not so fast! K.O.R.A.N.G.U.L.O.S. was on the ball and bolted the entrance doors. Attempts to remove the tables in the HoP's office for an alternate route were met with K.O.R.A.N.G.U.L.O.S. slamming their fire shutters on him, ultimately forcing the 'Ling to go back out into space. The radios once again ran out with "Download my mixtape" much to the Changeling's growing frustration.

Needless to say since the Changeling was restricted to the outside space of the station for navigation, it wound up missing the Escape Shuttle by a mile. The OOC and Deadchat alike flooded the screen with "Download my mixtape" in appreciation of how neatly K.O.R.A.N.G.U.L.O.S. handled the Changeling. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at an AI's shenanigans.

To K.O.R.A.N.G.U.L.O.S.: whoever you are, play AI more often. You do an amazing job.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

SL the Pyro posted:

Time for a write-up!

Like I said before, I was the ling in this situation, and yeah, I had a pretty embarrassing show. I honestly can't remember most of the systems at work in SS13 so I was mostly just winging it, and the AI constantly calling me retarded and autistic just really bothered me when I was just trying to figure out what to do. To make matters worse apparently someone had removed its Law 2, which I didn't think was possible, so when other people ordered him to do stuff he was ignoring it, which made me think the guy was just loving with me and was breaking the rules just to be a dick, so i got pretty frustrated.

Also, the next round after, the AI from the 'ling round spawned as a captain traitor and immediately broke into the upload and singled me out as non-human, which kinda struck me as a poo poo thing to do. I guess I'll probably stay away from SS13 for a while again.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
The fourth law probably had an override.
And what happened the round after sounds metagamey as gently caress.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

made me think the guy was just loving with me and was breaking the rules just to be a dick, so i got pretty frustrated.

Also, the next round after, the AI from the 'ling round spawned as a captain traitor and immediately broke into the upload and singled me out as non-human, which kinda struck me as a poo poo thing to do.

I think these are the kinds of things you should probably adminhelp. Nothing will happen if they're not in the wrong, but if they are it'll get brought to an admin's attention. Just don't go crazy with adminhelping just cause an antag killed you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't Toxins where you make bombs? That seems an obvious approach to escaping.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Comic posted:

I think these are the kinds of things you should probably adminhelp. Nothing will happen if they're not in the wrong, but if they are it'll get brought to an admin's attention. Just don't go crazy with adminhelping just cause an antag killed you.

Uploading an AI law singling someone out seems like a really easy way to avoid being adminhelped as they probably don't know it's there and can't tell the result from a just plain rogue AI.

Sounds like the AI did the right thing (you were a changeling after all) but with totally the wrong attitude. Sorry :(

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
So instead of encouraging or allowing players to duke it out with the changling in possibly a fun chase scene, the AI decided to power trip and lock a player up. Boy talk about encouraging fun what an awesome AI.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

So instead of encouraging or allowing players to duke it out with the changling in possibly a fun chase scene, the AI decided to power trip and lock a player up. Boy talk about encouraging fun what an awesome AI.

If a Changeling's dumb enough to brazenly make a kill in an easily-locked location without dealing with the AI or preparing beforehand, they deserve what they get.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Download my mixtape :smuggo: *brigs you for twenty minutes*

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SL the Pyro posted:

To K.O.R.A.N.G.U.L.O.S.: whoever you are, play AI more often. You do an amazing job.

Alternatively, don't, because you sound like an rear end in a top hat.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Maybe it's the lack of coffee or my sense of humor but I'm still trying to figure out what the gently caress was meant by "Download my mixtape".

Also can we not have the AI shitler/hero fight again?

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014
My last traitor round I was super mad to find I'd spawned as a medic and my target was the barman. Turns out he was a) also a traitor and b) spent 40 mins afk in a cupboard. No wonder he was never at the bar.

Chem were super territorial and got angry with me and almost killed me with my own CF3 spray. I guess I could have adminhelped that, but it was more fun to heal, come back, lure the culprit out of chem so he was alone, and whelp him to death with my saber.

At the shuttle I finally found out my target was also a traitor. We radcrossbowed each other and both lost.

Two weeks in and I love this game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CountButtula posted:

Chem were super territorial and got angry with me and almost killed me with my own CF3 spray. I guess I could have adminhelped that, but it was more fun to heal, come back, lure the culprit out of chem so he was alone, and whelp him to death with my saber.

If they caught you with a spraybottle of CF3 and knew what it was, it's not entirely wrong of them to assume you're out to kill people with it.

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they caught you with a spraybottle of CF3 and knew what it was, it's not entirely wrong of them to assume you're out to kill people with it.

He promised to spray anyone coming into chem. I'm not mad though, I cut off his head. :smuggo:

Whatever else he hit me with the first time I wouldn't leave chem was really impressive though. Was left with a permanent tremor even after the brain damage was cured.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

SL the Pyro posted:

About that.

SS13 Wiki posted:

The AI, through its camera network, is in a unique position to monitor the going-ons of the station. Often the AI will be the first witness to a crime or other wrong-doing. While you should alert the crew to anything posing a potential harm to them, AIs are encouraged to do so in a manner that does not immediately ruin an antagonist's round. As an example, instead of instantly reporting that John Q. Staff Assistant is breaking into EVA, you could offer a vague alert of trespass and not present details until someone specifically asks for them. If your laws are changed, it is also poor form to immediately scream out the change and the identity of the one who changed them. There is a good deal of gray area here, but bear in mind that a lovely AI can make rounds very boring for everyone.

---

important thing
While AIs are fully capable of bolting down traitors, electrocuting changeling and generally making the bad guys' lives a misery, this is no fun for anybody so you probably shouldn't do so unless you're specifically ordered to.
I mean it's not 100% what (in)action an AI should take, but going turbonerd supercop tends to annoy a lot of people. If the laws are subverted fine, but any other time an AI is taking solo-action against an antagonist they're probably just an rear end in a top hat.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No way, that's like saying only traitor engineers make stun gloves, or only traitor roboticists carry flashes. Scientists always have some nasty chems up their sleeves, frankly they're not doing their job if they don't.

Holepunchio fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 28, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Razage posted:

How strictly should Law 2 be adhered to when playing as an AI? I mean, opening doors and tracking people is a given. However, if someone tells you to shut up, does that mean you have to not talk for the rest of the round unless someone higher in command is nice enough to reverse it?

Unless they say "I order you to shut up forever", just cutting out what annoying poo poo you're doing is more than enough (and even then, you can demand a head's approval for an order of that magnitude).

SL the Pyro posted:

Try making the oxygen tank your first action, not your last, or maybe fill up from a different oxygen tank like the ones in Medbay or EVA. I always, always make sure I'm ready to either fight or run before I step into Toxins, because since the only real use for it is crimes, there's a pretty good chance that there's going to be a criminal in there.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If a Changeling's dumb enough to brazenly make a kill in an easily-locked location without dealing with the AI or preparing beforehand, they deserve what they get.

This is on par with "If a changeling's dumb enough to brazenly murder someone in Maintenance without first dealing with the HoS, the Detective, and anyone else who manages to get their hands on thermals, they deserve what they get". It's not like there's any real decent place to hide for a scientist with just Science access anyway, and I'm sure an AI like that would have bolted down their upload and screamed bloody murder if they saw a scientist breaking in anyway. It's not the AI's job to play supercop and bolt down antags unless they're ordered to by the crew or the antag is being incredibly blatant about it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Look, let's be real here. If you're stupid enough to walk into a place six rounds in a row and die in the exact same way each time, you deserve whatever's coming to you.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Main Paineframe posted:

This is on par with "If a changeling's dumb enough to brazenly murder someone in Maintenance without first dealing with the HoS, the Detective, and anyone else who manages to get their hands on thermals, they deserve what they get". It's not like there's any real decent place to hide for a scientist with just Science access anyway, and I'm sure an AI like that would have bolted down their upload and screamed bloody murder if they saw a scientist breaking in anyway. It's not the AI's job to play supercop and bolt down antags unless they're ordered to by the crew or the antag is being incredibly blatant about it.

No it's not, it only takes one pair of wirecutters to shut the AI out of an area completely and prevent them from bothering you. It's not comparable at all to locking down all of the thermals and guns, it's false equivalencies being made like this that derails the thread into a big stupid slapfight over whether or not someone's playstyle is shitler or not. Maybe you should work on your analogies.

However, it is on par with "If a traitor is stupid enough to mix Sarin in the middle of chem they deserve everything they get.", the AI(and players) should give antags a little bit of leeway in order to let more chaos inject itself into the round. That said, there's also nothing wrong with two players locked in intense combat and if the changeling had no problem with it then it's not your place to tell anyone how to play hth

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bathroomrage posted:

No it's not, it only takes one pair of wirecutters to shut the AI out of an area completely and prevent them from bothering you. It's not comparable at all to locking down all of the thermals and guns, it's false equivalencies being made like this that derails the thread into a big stupid slapfight over whether or not someone's playstyle is shitler or not. Maybe you should work on your analogies.

However, it is on par with "If a traitor is stupid enough to mix Sarin in the middle of chem they deserve everything they get.", the AI(and players) should give antags a little bit of leeway in order to let more chaos inject itself into the round. That said, there's also nothing wrong with two players locked in intense combat and if the changeling had no problem with it then it's not your place to tell anyone how to play hth

Having been a changeling who got caught by a supercop AI who proceeded to stalk me and do everything they could to hinder me for the entire rest of the round, it's really loving annoying. Luckily, I wasn't in a place that was easy to lock down (I was hurriedly finishing off another ling who had attacked me in crew quarters, so I didn't have the luxury of carefully preparing my location), but even running to the observatory to change outfits, IDs, and identities wasn't enough to stop the AI from locking down half the station in order to cut off "suspicious" individuals and yelling out the location of anyone who hid in a locker, wore a piece of clothing that didn't belong to their class, and so on.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Look, let's be real here. If you're stupid enough to walk into a place six rounds in a row and die in the exact same way each time, you deserve whatever's coming to you.

You'd think after the 5th time you'd walked alone into the dank storage warehouse and been eaten by a monster you'd think to start using the buddy system.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Having been a changeling who got caught by a supercop AI who proceeded to stalk me and do everything they could to hinder me for the entire rest of the round, it's really loving annoying. Luckily, I wasn't in a place that was easy to lock down (I was hurriedly finishing off another ling who had attacked me in crew quarters, so I didn't have the luxury of carefully preparing my location), but even running to the observatory to change outfits, IDs, and identities wasn't enough to stop the AI from locking down half the station in order to cut off "suspicious" individuals and yelling out the location of anyone who hid in a locker, wore a piece of clothing that didn't belong to their class, and so on.

Gee, it's almost like we need a check for these sorts of things, I don't know, some kind of... Admin Help call, perhaps? I wasn't even arguing with you, I agree, AIs and players in general need to be more lenient on traitors. It doesn't help to go making it an argument about playstyle, though. Adminhelp the bad players and the playstyle will die out once it gets smacked down often enough.

Orv
May 4, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

You'd think after the 5th time you'd walked alone into the dank storage warehouse and been eaten by a monster you'd think to start using the buddy system.

This is SS13, the moment you start using the buddy system the buddy you choose is guaranteed by cosmic law to be an antagonist.

"Hey Smash McGullicutty, watch my back for a second while I loot EVA." Dead to neurotoxin in the next thirty seconds.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Having been a changeling who got caught by a supercop AI who proceeded to stalk me and do everything they could to hinder me for the entire rest of the round, it's really loving annoying.

Yeah, this is the major problem I had with it. Being locked in Toxins for 15 minutes by JudgeDredd.Exe is annoying and super un-fun. It was to the point where even going out in space, the AI would bolt down every air lock leading into the station because CHANGELINGS!! Even bolting down Escape and letting people into the escape shuttle one-by-one just so he could be SUPER SURE no changelings got on.

That combined with him calling me "Austin the autist" (I spent the round transformed into some guy named Austin) and berating me for being retarded and how my parents wanted to abort me because I didn't know the optimal way to deal with every door being bolted and electrocuted and blast shutters being closed lead to a pretty unfun round. I have no idea how to get through doors other than cutting some of the wires, but I don't think that works when they're bolted/electrocuted. Maybe it would help if Acid Spit like, melted down doors if you targeted them or something.

The "mix tape" he wanted everyone to download, by the way, was a youtube link to gently caress You by Cee Lo Green, which was a way of bypassing his no-naughty-language law, I guess.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So someone got lost on his way to play some CoD and wound up the AI, basically.

Kitan
Jul 18, 2008
What if I inject myself with ten microbombs as syndie?
How big would the explosion be on my death?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, this is the major problem I had with it. Being locked in Toxins for 15 minutes by JudgeDredd.Exe is annoying and super un-fun. It was to the point where even going out in space, the AI would bolt down every air lock leading into the station because CHANGELINGS!! Even bolting down Escape and letting people into the escape shuttle one-by-one just so he could be SUPER SURE no changelings got on.

That combined with him calling me "Austin the autist" (I spent the round transformed into some guy named Austin) and berating me for being retarded and how my parents wanted to abort me because I didn't know the optimal way to deal with every door being bolted and electrocuted and blast shutters being closed lead to a pretty unfun round. I have no idea how to get through doors other than cutting some of the wires, but I don't think that works when they're bolted/electrocuted. Maybe it would help if Acid Spit like, melted down doors if you targeted them or something.

The "mix tape" he wanted everyone to download, by the way, was a youtube link to gently caress You by Cee Lo Green, which was a way of bypassing his no-naughty-language law, I guess.

Sounds like an AI that shouldn't ever be AI again. :stare:

AI is hard to do right and very easy to do very wrong. The best way is to scale your response to the problem. Someone broke into the armory? Oh well. Once the person has left the scene and fled, say "Armory seems to have been broken into." Message the Detective about a crime in progress by PDA. Close and bolt the airlock someone's about to be spaced out of, but don't bolt the traitor into that area. Leave escape routes.

Get in their way just enough to force them to be resourceful.

Or be really devious and pre-emptively open doors for them, leading them straight down a path to where Security is waiting. :unsmigghh:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So, something that has always bothered me: How the heck does cracking a safe work? I get that it is sort of like Mastermind, but I have yet to be able to figure out what each of the types of beep indicate.

Mice Everywhere
Sep 7, 2007

I love animal porn! So F* you if you don't accept that!

Kitan posted:

I've done this and it was enough to blow up the entire cell area in the brig.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, I absolutely hate it when an AI starts locking down the routes to the shuttle and only lets select people on just to make sure no antag makes it to the shuttle. It's just plain rude.

You can't hack a shocked door without insulated gloves, but the contents of a blue toolbox are enough to dismantle a regular or r-wall (or even a reinforced wall) in a pinch. It's time-consuming and eats through welder fuel pretty fast, but the AI can't do anything about it except send a borg to come kill you.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Kitan posted:

I always am tempted to do this when I get the die a glorious death objective.

If you have the survive the round objective, blowing up is counter productive, people can't mistakenly clone you if you're gibs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwid
Aug 20, 2011

I got tired of being a loser so I spent money to not be a loser anymore.

Main Paineframe posted:

You can't hack a shocked door without insulated gloves...

People should play with the network more often. Discovered how handy it was a few days ago. Actually, I don't even bother with tools for door hacking anymore.

• Locked thread