Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
Vasyl Lomachenko is a loving beast. I seriously think that loss against Salido is the best thing that could've happened to him (though it pissed me off at the time)

:whatup: double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

ozymandius1024 posted:

Vasyl Lomachenko is a loving beast. I seriously think that loss against Salido is the best thing that could've happened to him (though it pissed me off at the time)

:whatup: double post

A boxer with an amateur pedigree like Lomachenko's who can go to the body is a nightmare. Russell Jr was dominated but his hand speed is still among the best, he certainly has the ability to bounce back and be great as well.

Also CSAC please check to see if "Lisa Giampa" is actually CJ Ross wearing Groucho Marx glasses.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
A great fight here coming up between Japan and "the whole Bay area."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
This fight is frigging great.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Nilbop posted:

This fight is frigging great.

The StubHub Center is like the Field of Dreams. So many great fights: Rios-Alvarado 1, Bradley-Provodnikov, Matthyse-John Molina and now this.

If they held next Mayweather fight there it would turn into a 12 round slugfest because there's something in the water and/or air there.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've been there three times. First was Rios-Antillon, second was Rios-Alvarado I and the third was Bradley-Provodnikov. It's a fantastic arena where there isn't a bad seat in the house (and some really good ones to be had for cheap). Makes me wish I was still living in LA.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lomachenko looked so good. once he learns to pace a 12 round fight he'll be unstoppable imo

(until rigo fucks him up u feel me)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Someone please shop the Forums logo onto Broner's head tia.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2107026-adrien-broner-wrecks-scooter-on-streets-of-miami-crashes-into-parked-car

Interesting fight Saturday between Terence Crawford and Yuriorkis Gamboa in an effort to make Omaha the next fight capital of the world behind Macau. Crawford is definitely on the upswing and Gamboa's been so inactive (mostly due to 50 Cent constantly loving up his promotion) it's hard to pick. Crawford is probably rightfully a slight favorite but I find it hard to pick against Gamboa with conviction.

Also Golden Boy is suing Schaefer for 50 million, between this and the Main Events lawsuit against GBP/Haymon expect a lot of dirty laundry to be aired.

link

And I want to thank Al Haymon for creating the most absurd card ever and basically running Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson's appeal (not that Peterson had any to begin with anyways) into the ground.

Dan Rafael posted:

Unified junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia and titleholder Lamont Peterson will appear on the same card in showcase defenses on Aug. 9 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York in what is expected to be a prelude to a unification fight later in the year.

Garcia and Peterson are each facing lesser opponents with little name recognition or accomplishment, however. Golden Boy Promotions announced on Tuesday that Garcia would make his sixth title defense when he faces unheralded Rod Salka in the main event of the Showtime-televised tripleheader while Peterson will make his third title defense when he meets Edgar Santana.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11130762/danny-garcia-lamont-peterson-defend-titles-aug-9-card

The only interesting thing is that apparently Edgar Santana was once the head of a cocaine ring.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
It feels like its been a pretty good summer for new guys establishing their names, hopefully one or both of these should-be-starish-already guys can hit that frequency tonight. GRJr/Lomochenko felt like it could have been a much bigger fight in an alternate universe if they were brought up the the show a bit differently.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody watching this??

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

doctor thodt posted:

Anybody watching this??

I am :kiddo: Gamboa started nice (which I didn't expect at all) but Crawford clocked him and that round ended nasty.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Anybody watching this??

BEcause they should be, its amazing. Gamboa wins most of the early rounds and now Crawford came back to drop him and has the momentu[m going into 6.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Ninja PD posted:

BEcause they should be, its amazing. Gamboa wins most of the early rounds and now Crawford came back to drop him and has the momentu[m going into 6.

The woman behind crawford's mom in the blue and yellow dress is the best part

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

this is a fun fight, crawford's counter lefts from southpaw rule

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
This like a parallel universe Russell Jr-Lomachenko in that the more skilled amateur is abandoning his gameplan and suffering for it.

EDIT: Lmao a bout between two highly skilled boxers became rock em sock em robots and a star is born is Terence Crawford.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 29, 2014

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

What a wonderful fight that was

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

That was a loving round

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Cool loving fight!

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
What an unreal camera shot on the first KD of that round.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

That was high quality all around. Kudos to both men.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:drat:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That was an amazing fight. Sad Gamboa lost but props to Crawford.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

KidDynamite posted:

That was an amazing fight. Sad Gamboa lost but props to Crawford.

Yep. I've been a fan of Gamboa for years so I was sad to see him lose but if you're gonna lose, that's the way to do it. Hell of a performance by both guys.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
That was such an awesome fight. I am not a huge boxing fan but I can recognize a great one when I see it.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

getting caught with his chin in the air throwing ridiculously long combinations, trying to fight through being hurt rather than holding on, getting up straight away rather than taking the 8 count. very amir khan like performance from gamboa tbh

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It's been coming for a while for Gamboa, in hindsight he peaked about 4 years ago. Will go down as a wasted career.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Gamboa reminds me of Zab Judah. Incredibly fast, fools people into thinking he has defense as opposed to reflexes, dangerous early, but can be out maneuvered late, and timed to death. Then again, at least Judah was the undisputed champion of a weight class for a cup of coffee. Gamboa has never reached that peak.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

News: Mayweather is going to rematch Maidana on Sept. 13

Views: Whatever

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

if it's close again floyd is officially shot

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

ozymandius1024 posted:

News: Mayweather is going to rematch Maidana on Sept. 13

Views: Whatever

Rather Maidana 2 than Garcia, Khan, Thurman, Porter, Alexander, et al imo.

Then again he has a "big surprise" lined up for 2015

Floyd via Dan Rafael posted:

"Sept. 13, back to business, Marcos Maidana-Floyd Mayweather, part II," Mayweather said. "And then in May, I'm fighting in May and I'll have a big surprise for y'all."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11164201/floyd-mayweather-jr-says-fight-marcos-maidana-again-sept-13

My money is on a shot at the Cotto-Canelo/Lara winner to be the lineal 160 champ but I would but money on 5 to 1 or shorter odds that it's Amir Khan at Wembley

EDIT:

ozymandius1024 posted:

Sorry man, Keith Thurman loving Owns.

I think he can be great too-although I rate Porter a bit ahead of him based solely on competition-but is a win over Julio Diaz really enough to get a Mayweather fight?

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 2, 2014

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

Rather Maidana 2 than Garcia, Khan, Thurman, Porter, Alexander, et al imo.

Sorry man, Keith Thurman loving Owns.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There was an article about match fixing posted in the spring thread. Don't suppose anyone has the link handy do they?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Jose posted:

There was an article about match fixing posted in the spring thread. Don't suppose anyone has the link handy do they?

fatherdog posted:

Far too long to quote, but this is a fascinating piece about fight-fixing in boxing.

http://deadspin.com/why-i-fixed-fights-1535114232

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
That guys way too good of a writer to be involved in sports

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Apparently Amir Khan has been arrested on assaultin two teenager.

http://m.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-28167684

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

TheCool69 posted:

The guys so fuckin feather fisted

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
As a fan of the sport I think Al Haymon's invovlement is-at least for now-more of a problem than a solution but apparently some-including Ali biographer Thomas Hauser who wrote this piece in boxingscene- apparently believe he is going to come out to the ring during Canelo-Lara and declare himself emperor of boxing.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=79627

Some bullet points:
-Pressured the New York Times into favorably editing this piece by Greg Bishop in 2012.
-Took over as manager from Sam Simon (Simpsons co-creator) as manager of Lamont Brewster after he knocked out Wlad and became world champion. Covered up medical records to keep him fighting after detached retina in a subsequent bout and now Brewster is functionally blind.
-Through Richard Schafer, attempted to purchase Golden Boy Promotions. Has his own company, Haymon Sports LLC, which will try (somehow) get into promotional business. Already appears to have inroads to putting content on NBC.
-Has allegedly used the alias "Brian K. Pitts"

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

As a fan of the sport I think Al Haymon's invovlement is-at least for now-more of a problem than a solution but apparently some-including Ali biographer Thomas Hauser who wrote this piece in boxingscene- apparently believe he is going to come out to the ring during Canelo-Lara and declare himself emperor of boxing.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=79627

Some bullet points:
-Pressured the New York Times into favorably editing this piece by Greg Bishop in 2012.
-Took over as manager from Sam Simon (Simpsons co-creator) as manager of Lamont Brewster after he knocked out Wlad and became world champion. Covered up medical records to keep him fighting after detached retina in a subsequent bout and now Brewster is functionally blind.
-Through Richard Schafer, attempted to purchase Golden Boy Promotions. Has his own company, Haymon Sports LLC, which will try (somehow) get into promotional business. Already appears to have inroads to putting content on NBC.
-Has allegedly used the alias "Brian K. Pitts"

The little thing about him possibly looking into doing the whole "24 hour boxing network" thing is interesting to me. Is that like what Boxnation is? I've never actually looked into how that whole thing works.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

TheCool69 posted:

What's he fighting during Ramadan for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mayweather/Maidana 2, Sept. 13 in Vegas

• Locked thread