Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

And if you ever loose too much money in a level, you can always back out. Doing so makes it as if nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also if you're finding the game too easy and forgiving and want a real ~Retro Challenge~ you can totally eat the checkpoints for gold and pride.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kenshin posted:

We Are The Dwarves' first update shows off more gameplay:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/whalestudio/we-are-the-dwarves/posts/891248
This is stuff that they really should have in the pitch.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Gifs featuring a CG character doing a funny dance, never seen that one before. Admittedly though I am impressed with the tiny bit of individualism that each character has, instead of them just lining up their moves perfectly like every other CG dancin' gif

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Is anyone who backed Shroud of the Avatar willing to give an update on it?
Apparently Shroud of the Avatar Release 7 came out yesterday....and it has a 4 day lifespan or something bizzare like that?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Ugh, Dreamfall: Chapters just went episodic distribution. That always ends well.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

tuluk posted:

Apparently Shroud of the Avatar Release 7 came out yesterday....and it has a 4 day lifespan or something bizzare like that?

They've been running short tests every few weekends for many many months - look to be going well but I usually have something else better to do!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SaltyJesus posted:

Ugh, Dreamfall: Chapters just went episodic distribution. That always ends well.

I was actually surprised by how apologetic they were -- I had thought it was episodic from the beginning. Maybe I misread something somewhere.

It's worked pretty well for telltale, seems to be going okay-but-slow for Kentucky Route 0 and Republique, and is a pretty established way to put out a game like Dreamfall at this point. I'm not mad about it. Also means we'll get the first part in a couple months rather than years / who knows when.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Dreamfall Chapters originally was planned to be episodic for years when it was under Funcom, (Hence the title) but they tried making a whole game for the Kickstarter, so it really isn't a big deal at all. And yeah episodic works, while Episode 3 took a while KRZ is fantastic and Telltale's games are great too.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Sunset dropped their a $1000 tier to co-compose a song down to $200 which is maybe the cheapest "Collaborate on a non-trivial aspect of the game with us" tier I've ever seen? So of course they've all been snapped up and now there's an $80 tier specifically targeted at musicians and composers to participate in a bunch of soundtrack masterclass sessions. Seems like a really neat idea to have a proper geeky deep-dive into an aspect of a game available for those that want it. $80 is quite above my normal limit, but Austin Wintory seems to be an all round nice guy with a great understanding of the interactive aspects of scoring games, so gently caress it.

OK I'd kind of skimmed over hearing about this project without ever really looking at it, all the gifs on the campaign page are great fun.

NmareBfly posted:

I was actually surprised by how apologetic they were -- I had thought it was episodic from the beginning. Maybe I misread something somewhere.

It's worked pretty well for telltale, seems to be going okay-but-slow for Kentucky Route 0 and Republique, and is a pretty established way to put out a game like Dreamfall at this point. I'm not mad about it. Also means we'll get the first part in a couple months rather than years / who knows when.

Yeah I'd managed to get it into my head that it was episodic anyway as well, presumably from the game's history and its title, so I was completely nonplussed by the announcement. It does seem like adventure games are the genre where episodic works out most frequently so all in all I'm pretty hopeful.

Illessa fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 27, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SaltyJesus posted:

I'm not too worried about it yet, since episodic for adventure games is a model that has worked/continues to work. Heck, it even just worked for DoubleFine with Broken Age, if you consider the two parts two episodes. I imagine it's a way for them to get some continued revenue while affording them some extra time to work.

Also, they're not Valve.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SaltyJesus posted:

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, though the "doesn't" always seems to include lower budget games that are relying on sales of the first one or two episodes to fund the last few. So, yeah, its a bit of a concern but one at least its one I've actually been expecting for some time.

Although now the name of the game is just confusing. Chapters are supposed to be the smaller parts of a book, not the other way around :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Sunless Sea is going into public early release. It's still a little wobbly but it's very much its own thing. This was their press release:

quote:

The Steam release will be on 1st July – see our store page there for more luscious previews and ohhh enough of all this quasi-corporate press waffle, I’ve had a gin, I don’t care. WE MADE A GAME! IT’S AMAZING! It genuinely is amazing. It looks and sounds lovely, like black cider fermented in a mad miser’s cellar, and we made the game we really, really wanted to play ourselves, so if you squeeze it then wry literate nerdly Gothic obsession runs out of it like juice. The art is stunning. The music is haunting. The ship is just fun to sail! I wrote the story, so I think it’s good, but people hardly notice it because they’re having so much fun sailing around avoiding the giant crabs and sentient mountains.

http://www.failbettergames.com/sunless-sea-in-early-access/

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Knock, Knock is about to go on 3-hour sale on Gog.com.

Is it any good? I did not back and have some regrets.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

No Gravitas posted:

Knock, Knock is about to go on 3-hour sale on Gog.com.

Is it any good? I did not back and have some regrets.
It's really weird. I backed it and got the game for $5 and that feels about right for the way it plays out. There's some tedium due to the way the procedural generation works, making you do stuff like wander around in the woods for 5 minutes before the house pops up and you can go back in, and I wasn't compelled to replay it more than once. It's worth checking out for cheap, if you go into it blind and just try to figure out what the hell is going on.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Terra Tech has been on kickstarter for 3 days and is about 30% funded. It's an RTS where you build vehicles from lego-like pieces.

There's a free single player pre-alpha demo which is fun, sort of a sandbox vehicle builder but with combat: http://www.indiedb.com/games/terratech/downloads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xn_6nP5Yis

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/payloadstudios/terratech-physics-based-vehicle-construction-and-c

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
EmergeNYC looks like they only worked on it for a short while, but also pretty good. Anyone know more about their background?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It's really weird. I backed it and got the game for $5 and that feels about right for the way it plays out. There's some tedium due to the way the procedural generation works, making you do stuff like wander around in the woods for 5 minutes before the house pops up and you can go back in, and I wasn't compelled to replay it more than once. It's worth checking out for cheap, if you go into it blind and just try to figure out what the hell is going on.

Ok, got it for 2$. Going in blind. We shall see.

Thanks!

EDIT: HOLY poo poo.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 29, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Counteropinion: I think it's really really good, and it's the only game that's ever had me feeling spooked for whatever reason.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
How's Catacomb Kids coming along? Its tentative release date is Q4 this year, right?

E: The Utility Rock and Cooking With Boulders videos are really impressive. I hope the rest of the game will have the same degree of creative problem-solving.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 29, 2014

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

SaltyJesus posted:

How's Catacomb Kids coming along? Its tentative release date is Q4 this year, right?

E: The Utility Rock and Cooking With Boulders videos are really impressive. I hope the rest of the game will have the same degree of creative problem-solving.

The developer is gonna post a new build for backers soon (last I heard was "after hammers are implemented" and he's got a little gif of a hammer being used as the most recent tweet on his twitter), and he posted this article on his devlog about how it will have a full dungeon and be released for sale in Q4, but won't be entirely feature complete.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Count Uvula posted:

The developer is gonna post a new build for backers soon (last I heard was "after hammers are implemented" and he's got a little gif of a hammer being used as the most recent tweet on his twitter), and he posted this article on his devlog about how it will have a full dungeon and be released for sale in Q4, but won't be entirely feature complete.

Here's hoping he goes with course of action #2. I love roguelikes and this looks like a winner.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Oops, where is steam thread? :downs:

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 29, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fwoderwick posted:

So just completed Gone Home and Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons back to back. Christ I must have bought something out and out cheery in this Steam sale to follow that combo up. Any story heavy suggestions welcome!

Saints Row III and IV are heartwarming stories about the importance of friendship and a positive attitude.

Better LGBT stories than Gone Home, too.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Megazver posted:

Better LGBT stories than Gone Home, too.
Hey now, Gone Home was a great GLBT story. It just didn't end with you being a giant queer superhero, which isn't its fault. :v:

(You REALLY should get Saints Row IV, but you could skip 3 easily - 2 and 4 are the best in the series by far)

EDIT: though, yes, you need to have played 2 or 3 before 4, if you want to understand the characters at all. Fun regardless.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Shalinor posted:

Hey now, Gone Home was a great GLBT story. It just didn't end with you being a giant queer superhero, which isn't its fault. :v:

It might not be its fault, but the lesbian love story in SR IV is still better!

quote:

(You REALLY should get Saints Row IV, but you could skip 3 easily - 2 and 4 are the best in the series by far)

You take that back. :colbert:

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Megazver posted:

You take that back. :colbert:

I don't see the problem here. 3 was a boring, overhyped slog that took out everything that made 2 fun and funny, and 4 put it back in with interest

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You're all monsters. Monsters! :qq:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Scratch-O posted:

I don't see the problem here. 3 was a boring, overhyped slog that took out everything that made 2 fun and funny, and 4 put it back in with interest

Quite literally in the case of Shaundi

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
3 was a more fun game to actually play than 2, but 4 is better than both of them.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I see me and my stupid face didn't get away with that misspost scot free...

But yeah if "Games are sad :smith:" was a medical condition, doctors would be prescribing a course of SRIV to treat it. The greatest trick the devil ever played was taking the disjointed but hilarious insanity of the third game and turning it in to something that somehow made perfect sense in the fourth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I didn't really like SR2 or SR3 and I adored SRIV. It really is just pure unhindered fun.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sunless Sea is going into public early release. It's still a little wobbly but it's very much its own thing. This was their press release:

http://www.failbettergames.com/sunless-sea-in-early-access/

Kinda curious about this, any insight to the game and how it plays? Looks like it's kinda like FTL where you control the ship?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Saints Row IV is also obviously more of a direct sequel to Saints Row 3. I'd say starting with 3 really sets the tone up and establishes the majority of the characters. I'd say the only things you're missing out on are why Keith David is important and who the heck Benjamin King is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tensokuu posted:

Kinda curious about this, any insight to the game and how it plays? Looks like it's kinda like FTL where you control the ship?

It's actually . . . a lot like Fallen London. It's almost more of an immensely well-written and beautifully-illustrated Choose Your Own Adventure novel.

I haven't played many other similar games but it reminds me a lot of Darklands, actually, at least in that you're travelling over a great big area dotted with ports, and the story happens mostly through illustrated text blocks in those ports.

You sail (well, steam) your little boat around and you can upgrade it with better engines, guns,etc. There are lots of sea-monsters that travel at varying speeds and in specific areas and so you have to either fight them (using a combat interface with various timed attacks and dodges in a queue) or evade them by clever sailing (loop around them, angle so you go past them, outrun them if you have a fancy engine).

On top of that, there's a light/dark/terror mechanic; shores are illuminated and there are lighthouses and lantern-buoys scattered around, but most of the sea is dark. When you're out in the dark your Terror rises, when you're in lit areas it doesn't. As your terror rises bad things start happening and at 100 Terror your crew mutinies and you have to pass a stat check or lose the game. You can lower Terror in towns with various options, but not (generally) while at sea. Net result is that travel is largely about scuttering from lighted point to lighted point and sticking close to shore, and minimizing long plunges into the dark (though such are necessary from time to time).

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Thanks for the reply! I played Fallen London back when it got super popular a few years ago, but haven't really touched it since. I'm really interested in Sunless Sea though, and knowing it hits Steam early access tomorrow (or I could just go buy into it now on their page) is pretty tempting. At least it's something different than what I usually play.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Can anyone remind me of the goon-made FPS game creator/editor that was on Kickstarter? I've been looking for it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

LotsBread posted:

Can anyone remind me of the goon-made FPS game creator/editor that was on Kickstarter? I've been looking for it.
Gunscape?

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

That's the one! Thanks! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just started playing Shovel Knight, and besides how totally awesome it is, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing. It's on bandcamp, and if you didn't back Shovel Knight at a tier that included the soundtrack, I highly recommend buying it if you're at all into NES/SNES/chiptunes music.

http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shovel-knight-original-soundtrack

E: In fact, if anyone can recommend me more music in the same style, that would be cool.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 30, 2014