Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Ivor Biggun posted:

Name a series where this isn't true.

lol you got loving owned, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I am pretty sure that the directors cut their own dicks off or something.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

John Kruk posted:

I am pretty sure that the directors cut their own dicks off or something.

One of the Wachowskis isn't a Bro. any more, which I learned in this thread.

madeupfred fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 29, 2014

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
The Highway chase in Reloaded was lifted, beat by beat from a Dragon Ball Z episode. gently caress if I can't find it again, but there was an ancient youtube video showing the scenes in both side by side.
It was a rather forgettable scene in DBZ, so no one (except a few die hard fans) noticed.

Then in the third movie they went full on DBZ at the final battle, including the shockwaves, Smith grabbing Neo and diving with him etc.

It was shameless to treat Saint Goku that way imho.

EDIT: Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xnpeOYx048

Love how it actually needs to point out which frame is DBZ.

TheNightReaver fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 29, 2014

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Whats the latest someone has attempted an unironic bullet time parody?

Val
Jul 11, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

that scene was the end of the second one right

what if instead of the whole third movie they just do a 'holy poo poo we and the machines we are fighting in the 'real world' are both being duped and we're both in another matrix' and in the real real world it's just like one machine AI left or something that's totally started to lose it since sentience comes with the possibility of mental illness (or whatever) and it's just all alone after the huge war going 'I've finally WON.' having successfully locked away all other intelligences into a virtual reality they are unaware of.

I dig it. But I think it would work better as a comic book. But we already have The Invisibles by Grant Morrison, which Matrix borrowed heavily from.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
They lost the plot with too much CGI in the action scenes when the original used it sparsely. The freeway scene wasn't half as good as it could have been. The mansion fight was decent.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Cutting 5 minutes from the 15 minute runtime of the freeway chase would have made for a tighter scene, also if the chase scene had a purpose to the story that would have been cool too.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

the plot of the 2nd and 3rd movie is that the one brother really needed that sex change operation and was gonna sign the rights away unless s/he got it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
How many minutes until you realized that Neo was their savoir?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Was it when he knew kung fu?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
And they introduce way too many plot threads that they don't explain at all. Compare the bits where Morpheus reveals the matrix then later has the training programs that explain the rules and gives more background to anything revealed in the sequels. There are other programs in the matrix around going around their lives for some reason. They're not really allied with agents for some reason. Some of them have mythical style powers for some reason. Find some guy who makes keys. Ok bye!

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
wachowski siblings

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Carecat posted:

They lost the plot with too much CGI in the action scenes when the original used it sparsely. The freeway scene wasn't half as good as it could have been. The mansion fight was decent.

the other memorable part was monica belluci's dress.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hobohemian posted:

Stop while you're ahead. The first one is fantastic, the rest suck.

Ummmmm, hate to correct you. They never made any more Matrix movies, other than the Animamatrix thing. If they had made more movies, they would be really lame and no one would like them.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

the other memorable part was monica belluci's dress.

its the only part I remember.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

How many minutes until you realized that Neo was their savoir?

It was when the Oracle told him he wasn't the one and he accepted it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

madeupfred posted:

It was when the Oracle told him he wasn't the one and he accepted it.

Never watch the squeals!

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I liked the sequels better than the original.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bolian Blues posted:

how does it feel to be wrong about everything?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
The French guy (The merovingian or something) from the second film is awesome, I would quite happily watch a whole movie of him feeding people orgasm cake then swearing in French.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Samizdata posted:

Ummmmm, hate to correct you. They never made any more Matrix movies, other than the Animamatrix thing. If they had made more movies, they would be really lame and no one would like them.

Sorry dude, the sequels happened. And there's nothing you or me or god can do to fix that.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

White Dog Eggs posted:

The French guy (The merovingian or something) from the second film is awesome, I would quite happily watch a whole movie of him feeding people orgasm cake then swearing in French.

I don't care about your kinks

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

I don't care about your kinks

No it's great, he's like *pepe le-pu voice* wurghh huh-hor zere is cause and effect causality zoot-aloor orgasm cake.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I actually laughed out at that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

its the only part I remember.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Bolian Blues posted:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

kitten matrix would be a good spinoff movie:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ivor Biggun posted:

Name a series where this isn't true.

X-Men First Class -> Days of Future Past

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
matrix opinions:
1 the second renaissance anime is dumb fanfiction worldbuilding that pretends war imagery without suspense or personal investment is drama.
2 the chateau fight in reloaded is super good
3 Ebert called revolutions "a whimper in bang's clothing" which is fuckin' right

Hobo By Design fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 29, 2014

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I thought the anime with the haunted house was great, but it pretty much had nothing to do with the Matrix. The rest was forgettable.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
People make a big deal about the freeway scene in Reloaded but it's really a big product placement op for Cadillac. There's one good moment in that, which is when Morpheus inexplicably pulls out a katana and chops a car in half. That also does not make sense but at least it's pretty cool and dramatic, rather than the video game car flipping excessive slomo. The first film set a lot of awesome standards but the second film tried way too hard to emulate the first and it just became dull and stupid (sadly).

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

There sure as poo poo was a ton of Matrix related tie in stuff in the early 2000's huh?
You guys remember that?
I remember that. Lot's of matrix stuff, for sure.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

There sure as poo poo was a ton of Matrix related tie in stuff in the early 2000's huh?
You guys remember that?
I remember that. Lot's of matrix stuff, for sure.

Yeah they were piles of tie-in attempts such as games but never really got the commercial success of other nerd IP like Star Wars.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The worst thing about the Matrix Sequels is that they pulled a George Lucas and went back and gave the original movie really ugly green color grading to match the look of the sequels

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know when I watched The Matrix again after years of railing on the sequels, something hit me: It was pretty heavily shot like a noir film.

The other movies didn't have that.

Also back when Reloaded came out I did a little experiment. I counted how much bullet time was in the first film (about 7 seconds I think) then how much was in the next film.. they hit like a full minute of bullet time before the introduction was over.

Given the other poo poo the Wichowskis have done, I have to think the first Matrix had someone reigning them in with an actual vision for the thing. The other movies.. well the car chase from Reloaded should have been a theme park ride and left it at that.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The worst thing about the Matrix Sequels is that they pulled a George Lucas and went back and gave the original movie really ugly green color grading to match the look of the sequels

What the gently caress. OK, that's just dumb as poo poo. Are there any released versions without the grading?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know when I watched The Matrix again after years of railing on the sequels, something hit me: It was pretty heavily shot like a noir film.

That's because they were ripping off Dark City :troll:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

A misanthrope posted:

Sorry dude, the sequels happened. And there's nothing you or me or god can do to fix that.

Living up to your name though, so there's that....

I guess.

(And if there were sequels, Seraph and the Burly Fight would be awesome.)

Wait...

If there ARE sequels, THEN THERE IS NO GOD!

(P.S. Anything with Monica Bellucci is awesome.)

(P.P.S. Except Irreversible.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The green shading in the sequels honestly is what I remember most about those movies, it was so bad. I haven't seen the first one in a long time, but I'm surprised to hear it wasn't in that one.

• Locked thread