Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

deafmute posted:

Sean Avery has Spezza's back

i love Sean but he's a dumb idiot here, Nashville is a cool town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
not sure what to make of this breakdown of the habs defense: http://www.boucherscouting.com/2014/06/defensive-zone-puck-possession.html

other than that douglas murray is bad and pk subban is real good

Zybl0re
Aug 10, 2002

I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT!

Aye Doc posted:

my new favorite team the florida panthers have apparently offered scottie upshall to the flyers for vincent lecavalier

that seems like a stupid rear end offer to make

Until you consider how much of their revenue comes from Montreal fans. (and Tampa fans maybe?)

turbo sex bat 4000
Mar 12, 2001

do you know what the waiting lists are like even to get into an apprentice jerksmanship
ugh

https://twitter.com/GlobalDurant/status/483368944938393600

quote:

‏@GlobalDurant
Ryan Miller and his wife spotted getting off an L.A. Flight at YVR this afternoon. #goalieofthefuture? #canucks

i can only hope he doesn't buy a bbq while he's here

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Poile said Del Zotto is not currently a fit for the Preds and they might not give him a qualifying offer.

Zybl0re
Aug 10, 2002

I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT!

Zamboni Jesus posted:

not sure what to make of this breakdown of the habs defense: http://www.boucherscouting.com/2014/06/defensive-zone-puck-possession.html

other than that douglas murray is bad and pk subban is real good

Hmmmm some pretty neat analysis there. Hoping Tinordi had disappointing numbers because he's new and didn't get much of a chance to play. The suggestion that Bouillon is not a bad defenseman is troubling.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Aye Doc posted:

my new favorite team the florida panthers have apparently offered scottie upshall to the flyers for vincent lecavalier

Upshall is not very good and has been in decline ever since his knee blew up. He's only signed for one more season but still the Panthers are incredibly thin and could use Vinny more than him. They're like $14million dollars under the cap floor too :staredog:

Thufir posted:

Poile said Del Zotto is not currently a fit for the Preds and they might not give him a qualifying offer.
That's a pretty big thing you probably shouldn't say if you're trying to trade someone. Kills the leverage a little bit...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i love Sean but he's a dumb idiot here, Nashville is a cool town

It might be a nice town, but it's not a cool town. Too loving muggy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'll throw up if Miller plays in Vancouver, blech

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
And how do you feel about Bolland

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

deafmute posted:

Upshall is not very good and has been in decline ever since his knee blew up. He's only signed for one more season but still the Panthers are incredibly thin and could use Vinny more than him. They're like $14million dollars under the cap floor too :staredog:

i think ultimately i would rather just spend money on brad richards and keep my half-decent winger than pick up vinny if i really wanted to hone in on the 34 year old ex-lightning center market

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

this video is a good representation of what the 14-15 canucks will be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdmYy5YKC1o

edit: fixed quote

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 29, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Thufir posted:

He sure is killing it on trades lately.

deafmute posted:

That's a pretty big thing you probably shouldn't say if you're trying to trade someone. Kills the leverage a little bit...

Del Zotto for Simmonds.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

deafmute posted:

I'm sure he's been trying to trade him for a while without success. He's probably trying to soften the outrage when he trades him for a conditional 7th or something.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the panthers will not be successful in their efforts to acquire vinny because how could dale tallon ever resist the toronto maple leafs offer of tim gleason + picks????

watching twitter trade rumors owns

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
MINNESOTA UPDATE! Stop the presses!!!

Vanek is meeting with Minnesota tonight. Hmmmm.

Evidently Minnesota has also contacted Boston about Iginla since they have to dump salary to fit him, but its very unlikely he leaves Boston. And...uh, thats about it. SUMMER!

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
I'd rather let MDZ walk than qualify him at a retarded number. Use that money on actual good players. I can live with any outcome but him making about 3 million next year.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

It might be a nice town, but it's not a cool town. Too loving muggy.

Yeah in the summer, but it's been quite nice every time I've been during hockey season.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
ah yes the fabled land of Ottawa, the human mind can neither tell nor make description of it, long shall she haunt great Jason's hopes and dreams

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

why are people so down on ryan miller to vancouver? i don't think he's great or anything but lack/markstrom is about the worst goalie combination i can think of in the nhl. if miller ends up backing up lack who cares? it's not like vancouver have any pressing need for cap space since there's zero decent free agents this summer or next that are likely to sign there and none of their young players save tanev are up for big increases in the next few years

same with bolland. if he signs for 7 years at some insane number benning should be fired but if they get him for 3-4 years does it really impact their future that badly? the sedins/burrows/hamhuis/bieksa don't have many seasons left in them and ownership don't have the stomach for a salt the earth style rebuild so building for 3-4 years out isn't really an option for the canucks. may as well try to be competitive over the short term while trying not to compromise the long term

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Because being competitive for the short time means jack poo poo for them. Being a 6-7-8 seed and getting a first round exit for the next for seasons just makes the rebuild even more painful when what's left of that core is gone.

Miller should sign with a team that needs an established starter to get them over the hump, not a team in roster management hell.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Schremp Howard posted:

Because being competitive for the short time means jack poo poo for them. Being a 6-7-8 seed and getting a first round exit for the next for seasons just makes the rebuild even more painful when what's left of that core is gone.

Miller should sign with a team that needs an established starter to get them over the hump, not a team in roster management hell.

there is absolutely zero chance the aquilinis ever approve a real rebuild. zero. the canucks are propping up their crumbling real estate business and they can't afford to forgo sell outs and playoff revenue

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

why are people so down on ryan miller to vancouver? i don't think he's great or anything but lack/markstrom is about the worst goalie combination i can think of in the nhl. if miller ends up backing up lack who cares? it's not like vancouver have any pressing need for cap space since there's zero decent free agents this summer or next that are likely to sign there and none of their young players save tanev are up for big increases in the next few years

same with bolland. if he signs for 7 years at some insane number benning should be fired but if they get him for 3-4 years does it really impact their future that badly? the sedins/burrows/hamhuis/bieksa don't have many seasons left in them and ownership don't have the stomach for a salt the earth style rebuild so building for 3-4 years out isn't really an option for the canucks. may as well try to be competitive over the short term while trying not to compromise the long term

because they're going to be a poo poo team and lack/markstrom are at least young

e: they may not be bottom five bad but they're probably not making the playoffs in that division

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Bolland literally had a tendon severed last season and was routinely taking penalties because even average skaters were blowing past him on his return. I have no doubt that he's going to be rehabbing like a motherfucker this offseason but there isn't a team in the league that actually knows what they're going to get out of him, either short or long term.

Seriously, Bolland should be getting the Raymond treatment this offseason, not offers of "only" 4 years. Any sort of term for him is irresponsible.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Because Ryan Miller wasn't very good on the Blues and it's a pointless signing for the Canucks. Best case scenario he pulls them to the 8-11th spot while stunting Lack's development. Worst case the team is bottom 4 in the west with him, he has an unmovable contract and it alienates the potential goalie(s) of the future from remaining in Vancouver. Bolland is a similar situation he won't contribute anywhere near the amount he gets paid and is completely meaningless to sign for a team in that position. Both moves are attempting to patch holes on a ship that's already on the bottom of the ocean instead of blowing everything up and doing a rebuild so that the team can actually compete in the future.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

because they're going to be a poo poo team and lack/markstrom are at least young

e: they may not be bottom five bad but they're probably not making the playoffs in that division

Next year its probably just going to be Ducks/Kings/Sharks making it again :smith:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

there is absolutely zero chance the aquilinis ever approve a real rebuild. zero. the canucks are propping up their crumbling real estate business and they can't afford to forgo sell outs and playoff revenue

yeah, but that doesn't mean canucks fans need to be happy about it

keeping their playoff revenue up will come at the cost of the final years of the sedins. picking up miller after having completely butchered the situation with luongo/schneider at least 3 times over is just a hilariously sad move. bolland's initial ask was 7 years @ $5m aav, there's no way he's going to come at a tolerable price for 3-4 years because there are teams who think that his Stanley Cup Experience will be massive. pursuing jarome iginla is the only cool sounding thing the canucks even want to do because a sedin-sedin-iggy line would own own own, everything else they're doing or rumored about doing is the exact opposite of what a team in their situation should do.

even contemplating signing players like that in the first place is compromising the long term because it's taking away potentially higher draft picks, locking up cap space for the future rosters that could actually theoretically compete instead of just limp into the 8th seed, etcetc. i can't think of a team in any sport in my lifetime who tried to retool instead of rebuild and actually succeeded and i've pretty regularly followed all four major leagues for a long rear end time.

i would also argue that aquilini's need to sign Big Names to make money is on its own a good enough reason to say "gently caress ryan miller" because that douche don't deserve no dollars

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Here's a Sporcle quiz about draft picks to kill time between now and Free Agent Frenzy. Some these answers are, in fact, people you've heard of, possibly making this easier than it looks:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/JSprague24/lowest-drafted-players-to-play-an-nhl-game

Aye Doc posted:

Well, the Flyers have already acquired another Former Flyer Who Plays Forward and Has A Last Name Starting in "U" this offseason. Who knows at Homer & Hexy's Hockey Funhouse?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
@adater: I'm hearing the Wings-Ehrhoff have mutual interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rTzJIxBHKc

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

whatis posted:

By the way, because he had a NMC, Ehrhoff had to approve the buyout. After an hour or so of tough introspection, he has reluctantly agreed and the buyout is official

this isnt true. players have to be put on waivers for a day if you're buying them out, but you can't usually waive someone with an nmc. if they have one, you can just buy them out without that step. if ehrhoff agreed to anything, it was to waivers (which he probably didnt, as it would be stupid)

miller and bolland are loving awful players to give any amount of money to. bolland might be a 4th liner and miller is at best an average goalie. i'd rather lose 82 games than have any of them on the team

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 30, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

me too

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aye Doc posted:

Philly needs cap space and Florida needs to hit the cap floor. Upshall earns a million less than Lecavelier and his contract is up after next season.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I only have good memories of Ryan Miller losing games in Vancouver, I don't want those spoiled!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Aye Doc posted:

Remember when Homer traded Upshall and a 2nd for Dan Carcillo

I do. Hexy is undoing all of this

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m
Oilers trade Sam Gagner to Tampa Bay for Teddy Purcell.

i always thought it was tyler purcell. huh.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

oilers just traded sam gagner to tampa in exchange for teddy purcell

lol

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Steve Yezerman.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

apparently gagner is now going on waivers to be bought out?

i am confused by twitter reports at the moment

Soal_Fish
Jul 20, 2004

yes its Soal not Soul but oh well
Who's Teddy Purcell

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Soal_Fish posted:

Who's Teddy Purcell

A cool dude and uh

Oliers twitter just says its straight up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Zamboni Jesus posted:

apparently gagner is now going on waivers to be bought out?
Hahaha no loving way, how does that make sense for Tampa

• Locked thread