Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
New toys available in red thunder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3I1ClIrszc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
This should be fun, I really enjoyed last years thread even if it did kind of fizzle out by the end. I hope the soviets decide to deploy an unreasonable number of Katyushas. Win or loss it would be glorious, Stalin's organs demand a symphony.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

For those who are interested, and have archives, the last game is here:

Neutral
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441897
Allies
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450776
Axis
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450770

And here is what you can tell your mans to do.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Just so you don't miss it:

I posted:

We're a little boned on our organic anti-tank capability, as our six 57mm AT guns don't actually have any transport other than pushing them down the loving road, so there's that.

There were some...exciting moments with a commander new to the game selecting force comp.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
And that's why I'm not going for STAVKA. I'd certainly like something with some movement capabilities though.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

HOLY FRIJOLES the last CM game I every played was Barbarossa to Berlin and while my impression wasn't the later entries in the series weren't too radically different gameplay-wise, the series has gotten a lot better about making some visceral dang footage.

Really glad you got over your internet stage fright, Grey! The videos for this have a lot of promise.

e; oh god no this means if i gently caress up everyone's gonna see how grisly and awful it is oh no oh no oh noooooo

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Willie Tomg posted:

HOLY FRIJOLES the last CM game I every played was Barbarossa to Berlin and while my impression wasn't the later entries in the series weren't too radically different gameplay-wise, the series has gotten a lot better about making some visceral dang footage.

Really glad you got over your internet stage fright, Grey! The videos for this have a lot of promise.

Yeah, while not CoH's pretty, this game does have its own charm. and two years of Roleplaying games have helped boost my confidence somewhat.

No one going to man up and take command of Ze Germans?

I've added a few people to the spreadsheet, 15/12 Soviet German split, with meeting engagement in a village winning so far.

Don't worry about not knowing what you are doing people! As long as your orders seem realistic, they should work.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Unless somebody else steps up I would be willing to take command of the Germans. Just know I've never played this game before!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Yeah no matter who ends up being the overall commanders picking their forces if you are unsure of something like "can I move this gun" just ask. It is far better than having guys stuck in a gun that is useless for the entire battle when the answer is just to bring a truck.

There really is no reason for anyone to be useless because you can always stick some extra teams on any hq. In the event I'm the commander I already pretty much know what I'm mostly going to do and the company commanders will at least get a sniper/mg/etc. to move around.

So for the guys that have not really followed combat mission since the last lp, other than flamethrowers some cool new toys are: AAA guns both motorized and towed that actually shoot at planes, the ability to have ammo depots on the map, a company of men that are entirely armed with sub-machine guns (yes they ARE as awesome as they sound), and uh I dunno t34s have canister rounds? I'm sure I'm forgetting something cool.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I'll move up to Company CO to replace you unwantedplatypus.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 27, 2014

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Readingaccount posted:

You have first dibs unwantedplatypus, I don't wanna nab it you were warming up to it. If not I thinkk I'd like to have a shot at just giving general directions and see if it actually works. :v:

If not the top boss, I think that style could possibly work very well with as a company commander.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Yeah, I changed my mind. :)

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Back from my honeymoon, hope there's still space to sign up when I get home. Not one step back, comrades!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Alright, signed up as support. Went on the Russian side but I don't mind swapping around because I have no idea what the hell I'm doing!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Krysmphoenix posted:

Alright, signed up as support. Went on the Russian side but I don't mind swapping around because I have no idea what the hell I'm doing!

If you're playing as support, it should be easy. It'll be the Platoon COs' job to move to contact with the enemy. All you need to do is point your gun(s) in that direction and shoot a bunch. Easy!

(I don't know what I'm doing either :v::hf::v:)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How are the tank costs balanced in this game? The thing that bugged me about the previous game was how the German tanks were only slightly more expensive than the allied ones, creating weird ahistorical setups most of the time. If this game is simulating Bagration, are we going to get anything near to the historical situation of the Soviets having a 10:1 tank numerical superiority to the Germans?

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

For those who are interested, and have archives, the last game is here:

Neutral
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441897
Allies
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450776
Axis
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450770

And here is what you can tell your mans to do.

Is this the game where half the german team went on a cross-country run, a panzer got stuck in a freshly-ploughed field, the allies advanced so fast they ran into their own artillery bombardment and the spectators complained how the germans were overpowered right up until they lost?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
That was the second one, run in the same threads. And, no, it was more fraught with drama than that.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

That was the second one, run in the same threads. And, no, it was more fraught with drama than that.

But was there a more recent one than the one I described is what I'm asking. I remember the one before it was the "turn 50: still pushing the AT guns" game, but was there another goon v. goon CM game after it that I missed? If yes, then how was that game like?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Fangz posted:

How are the tank costs balanced in this game? The thing that bugged me about the previous game was how the German tanks were only slightly more expensive than the allied ones, creating weird ahistorical setups most of the time. If this game is simulating Bagration, are we going to get anything near to the historical situation of the Soviets having a 10:1 tank numerical superiority to the Germans?

Actually what you are describing is bullshit. Generally when the germans won something it is because they had more tanks on that particular field at that particular time, not because they just waded through hordes of tanks all at once. Armor was massed so you would generally either see mostly axis tanks or mostly allied tanks, and when two armored divisions met the one that got more tanks on the field at one time was the one that won. The biggest problem the soviets had early on was actually getting the tanks where they needed to be and would frequently be in a situation where they were locally out numbered even if they had more in the strategic area. The job of a good officer is to get troops where they are needed all at the same time, and it's the main reason the soviet officer purges hurt them so much. It is why Napoleon said amateurs discuss tactics, professionals discuss logistics.

That said, to answer your question you will generally see more soviet tanks on the field in a typical game of red thunder, but you will not see 10 t-34-85s for every one Mk.IV. It would make for a lovely game if that were the case.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I signed up on the wrong side of history, but I figured it would be best to balance out players. feel free to move me down the command ladder if need be!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Just so you don't miss it:

There were some...exciting moments with a commander new to the game selecting force comp.

...Yes, my actions were "Exciting.". Certainly not criminally incompentent, ludicrous, illinformed, idiotic, and actively counter-productive.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

...Yes, my actions were "Exciting.". Certainly not criminally incompentent, ludicrous, illinformed, idiotic, and actively counter-productive.

This game is a lot like Company of Heroes right? I should be fine.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

unwantedplatypus posted:

This game is a lot like Company of Heroes right? I should be fine.

Not by a long shot. It's like comparing Counter-Strike to ARMA. However, you should still be fine.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not by a long shot. It's like comparing Counter-Strike to ARMA. However, you should still be fine.

:thejoke:

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Krysmphoenix posted:

Pretty much the same here. Russian support, wouldn't mind helping out in the case of a German manpower shortage, entirely incompetent. :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but goddamnit I will drive a tank for ze Vaterland!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Okay! We seem to be good for the higher ranks, and we may need to give a couple of units a person, but we have enough votes to move forwards.

dtkozl & unwantedplatypus You are the commanders. Please get in contact with me, at thegryehunter@gmail.com. We can then get onto picking units.

There is still plenty of time to join in! I'm just getting this moving forwards

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I'm happy I found this. I never get to these before they have been going for a few months.

I have no idea what I am doing, but I will gladly start Russian (the Russians)!

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Looking forward to participating. I have some Combat Mission experience, but none with Red Thunder. I've marked off my calender and sign up for the Red Army. Мы вас похороним!

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
I'm going to drive a tank for mother Russia! Za Rodinu!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I would also like to play Russians. Last time I played combat mission I had a terrible disaster where I let my recon unit get pounded, so tradition states I should be manning support, but let's not repeat that and go for Platoon or Co infantry commander because why not eh?

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 30, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I might as well join in. There seems to be room in German platoons, right? I put myself there. Right now both sides have three company commanders for five platoons, GOONS

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, goons refusing to be someone's, well, goons.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

meeting engagement in a village winning so far.

I don't have a problem with meeting engagements, it works better with the audience than sitting on your thumb waiting for the attack. Might be interesting though if the victory locations were edited so that there's nothing in the middle of the map but there were victory locations on both sides of the map, close to start zones (but not immediately in). I think this might encourage more mobile, aggressive tactics than just an initial :zerg: to the middle and subsequent camping by either side.

One thing I recall well from the last game is how abysmally the German heavy kitties fared against Yank tanks, I'm scared already how nasty it'll get with Soviet heavies... this Stalin took a dozen 75mm hits and a Panzerfaust to stop in my last quickie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6rAYBdu4Bs

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Nenonen posted:

I don't have a problem with meeting engagements, it works better with the audience than sitting on your thumb waiting for the attack. Might be interesting though if the victory locations were edited so that there's nothing in the middle of the map but there were victory locations on both sides of the map, close to start zones (but not immediately in). I think this might encourage more mobile, aggressive tactics than just an initial :zerg: to the middle and subsequent camping by either side.

One thing I recall well from the last game is how abysmally the German heavy kitties fared against Yank tanks, I'm scared already how nasty it'll get with Soviet heavies... this Stalin took a dozen 75mm hits and a Panzerfaust to stop in my last quickie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6rAYBdu4Bs

Wait do you mean Shermans were killing Tigers from the front? Or were they just using hellcats, sluggers, easy 8s, etc.?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

unwantedplatypus posted:

Wait do you mean Shermans were killing Tigers from the front? Or were they just using hellcats, sluggers, easy 8s, etc.?

I recall it was M10s without Tungsten, usually one shot kills before German tanks even got to react.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Unless there is a massive imbalance between German tanks and Soviet tanks, them is sure the soviets will have the same vulnerability to getting shot at by guns that can penetrate them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There's no particular vulnerability. It was more of a fluke, there's always weak spots and shot traps or sometimes the crew bails after a single partial penetration while at other times they continue fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Somebody might have mentioned in the other thread and it's a microscopic thing, but you did forget Combat Mission: Afghanistan!

• Locked thread