Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mesimean
Feb 16, 2012

We brought Hudson the red cardy home last weekend. He's just shy of nine weeks and he is a delight. He doesn't seem to be much bigger than when we met him at six weeks. He enjoyed the trip home and was well behaved at the vets, even with the constant yapping of someones toy poodle. I'm looking forward to when we can go to puppy training when he's all vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Oh my god, that first picture and those eyes. He's so adorable.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
It's Miles' first birthday today!

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
^^^ Miles is freaking adorable. Happy birthday little corg!

Oh my god my city is having a huge adoption event tomorrow and there is a purebred Pem for an adoption fee of $30. Tegan would kill me if I brought another corgi home but hnnnnnnggggg :ohdear:

Millions fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 27, 2014

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Millions posted:

Oh my god my city is having a huge adoption event tomorrow and there is a purebred Pem for an adoption fee of $30. Tegan would kill me if I brought another corgi home but hnnnnnnggggg :ohdear:

Oh god. Do it. I would.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

For those with a Playstation Vita:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o1jHV_Gpd8

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Just came to post that. What a good video, Rogers is hilarious.

Game is hard as poo poo, but it's drat cute.

catamar
May 23, 2008

Wulfling posted:

Oh god. Do it. I would.

GET THE PEM.

catamar
May 23, 2008
Here's another petfinder Pembroke. :3: https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/29545057/

Bardo
Nov 6, 2009
I'm happy to be able to post in this thread, now that I have a Corgi!

Talloulah is a drat peach. I was worried when getting her as I live in an apartment complex, but she doesn't bark at anything or anyone unless they're coming into the house. She also likes to play with the Great Dane that lives around. She licks dirt.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Awwwwwww

How the hell did you get a corgi that doesn't bark at every single noise that happens within three blocks?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Talloulah is beautiful, and Tegan is barking barking barking barking...

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Such a great looking dog. Sam only barks at things when she's outside at least.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The fact that you can't make the corgi stop running is a great design decision and I'm not sure that dude understands why.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Bardo posted:

Talloulah is a drat peach. I was worried when getting her as I live in an apartment complex, but she doesn't bark at anything or anyone unless they're coming into the house. She also likes to play with the Great Dane that lives around. She licks dirt.

This may be a honeymoon period thing. Use it to your advantage to reward her not alerting at possibly startling sounds, people moving about, etc. Don't take it for granted at this point. :)

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Hey! I fit the small cross-section of people who love Corgis and own a Vita!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Butters turned four years old today!

Too lazy to go get a birthday hat for him, but he likes his birthday (and other events) bowtie all the same.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 1, 2014

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

C-Euro posted:

Butters turned four years old today!

Too lazy to go get a birthday hat for him, but he likes his birthday (and other events) bowtie all the time.

Holy crap that is a cute photo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sir Tonk posted:

Holy crap that is a cute photo.

Would you believe that cute face has the same birthday as Mike Tyson?

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
My wife and I have a nearly 10 month old male pembroke. He's a complete people pleaser, tends to do well with other dogs (although he tends to ignore them for human affection), almost never barks unless someone rings the doorbell (yesterday was the first time he barked at one of our cats), is potty trained well (except he still pisses for new people), does decently well on walks. I'd say he seems to exemplify all the characteristics attributed to corgis. Unfortunately my wife and I pretty much hate this dog. Neither of us are the kind of people who want to give a dog, and a pushy one at that, 110% of our attention all the time, especially with a child on the way. He is incredibly high maintenance and also can't deal with not being around people at all times, so if we so much as put him outside in our sizable backyard for 30 minutes he'll come in smelling like rear end because he expresses his anal glands when afraid and sometimes when excited. We had him stay with a sitter for 5 days when we went on a trip and he was alone the first night and shredded the entire inside of his kennel, it looks like claw marks on the inside of an insane asylum cell. I learned today that he's an escape artist. I got him a little pen to stay in so he doesn't have to be in his kennel whenever we're out (since he can't handle being outside) and we left for 90 minutes and got home to him outside of his pen. He is also a destroyer of toys, but I guess that is a breed thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Sounds like he really needs some more exercise and possibly a behaviorist but it also sounds like you've already made up your mind about not wanting to deal with the hassle. Corgis are demanding dogs and I really really wish more people would do a quick google search and find that out before they wind up with one. If you got him from a breeder can you return him (not for cash back obviously but good breeders are always willing to take back a puppy in the event the owner can no longer care for it.) You can also try contacting the local Corgi rescue group. Dunno where you are in Texas but google says there are several of them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yeah, you got the wrong breed if you don't want to give your dog all of your attention. Corgis don't like being ignored.

Do you have any photos? I'm looking for a puppy myself and am in Houston, as long as Igby doesn't try to kill him immediately out of jealousy :3:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Bardo posted:

She also likes to play with the Great Dane that lives around.

Same.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
For the people that do clicker training with your corgis, how well do they handle it? I want to get a little more serious with training Butters so I went and bought a clicker today, and watched a couple goon-recommended videos on clicker training. But the first time I tried to pair it with a treat, upon hearing the click he jumped back and ran to the other side of the room. Now he actually will run away from me if I have a treat out :shepface: I'm wondering if it's too loud for his big ears, did any of you run into a similar issue when starting to clicker-train your corgi? Admittedly my dog is also a huge wuss but I thought these clickers were supposed to be idiot-proof, and unless I'm going too fast I think I broke him already :(

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

For the people that do clicker training with your corgis, how well do they handle it? I want to get a little more serious with training Butters so I went and bought a clicker today, and watched a couple goon-recommended videos on clicker training. But the first time I tried to pair it with a treat, upon hearing the click he jumped back and ran to the other side of the room. Now he actually will run away from me if I have a treat out :shepface: I'm wondering if it's too loud for his big ears, did any of you run into a similar issue when starting to clicker-train your corgi? Admittedly my dog is also a huge wuss but I thought these clickers were supposed to be idiot-proof, and unless I'm going too fast I think I broke him already :(

I've noticed with Sam, she is also a giant wuss, and what normally works easily on other dogs, takes some time and coaxing to get her to do things. Butters is likely just freaking out because of the sound, the fact that its new, and its associated with treats. He'll likely get over it fairly quickly. When Sam was a pup, she was so afraid of 2 liter soda bottles, she barked herself into a frenzy and poo poo all over the floor. Now she's totally fine with them. :shrug:

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Punks, your corgs is adorable! His (her?) little feet look so well-groomed. My boys pitch an absolute shitfit whenever we come near them with the clippers. It's a two-person job with me doing the clips and my husband feeding them treats to distract. We tried the Pedi-Paws thing and that was a disaster, so now we just try to clip them manually whenever we have the stomach to tackle it, though I think their quick has lengthened a bit so we can't keep their nails as short as we'd like anymore.

Here are a couple of photos of my gremlins on a hike while vacationing in FL back in May, a hike that was cut short after a trail deemed "very dog friendly" ended up being covered in spiky brambles and low-lying cacti. Dog friendly my rear end.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Try muffling the clicker with a sock or rag so the noise isn't so loud that it startles Butters. Once he gets the idea that "muffled click = treat" then let the clicks get a little louder gradually until he knows "loud click is weird... but = treat." Tegan loves her clicker and always gets super stoked when I bring it out because she knows it means mountains of treats. I'd recommend getting some Charlee Bears or something similar in the low-calorie range so it doesn't spoil Butters' meals.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Crunch Bucket posted:

Punks, your corgs is adorable! His (her?) little feet look so well-groomed. My boys pitch an absolute shitfit whenever we come near them with the clippers. It's a two-person job with me doing the clips and my husband feeding them treats to distract. We tried the Pedi-Paws thing and that was a disaster, so now we just try to clip them manually whenever we have the stomach to tackle it, though I think their quick has lengthened a bit so we can't keep their nails as short as we'd like anymore.

Oh man. I have the same problem with Sam. She starts trying to death roll and turns her whole sausage of a body into a flail. All while whining and growling and just otherwise verbally announcing her displeasure. I find it bloody hilarious because I'm always the one with the clipper. The one holding her is less amused, as they typically get clocked in the jaw by rock hard corgi skull. Its more an exercise in not laughing for me than actually trying to cut the nails. Needless to say this is something we undertake very rarely. Treats don't calm her during this process. She just does not tolerate people touching her little nub feet.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Wulfling posted:

Oh man. I have the same problem with Sam. She starts trying to death roll and turns her whole sausage of a body into a flail. All while whining and growling and just otherwise verbally announcing her displeasure. I find it bloody hilarious because I'm always the one with the clipper. The one holding her is less amused, as they typically get clocked in the jaw by rock hard corgi skull. Its more an exercise in not laughing for me than actually trying to cut the nails. Needless to say this is something we undertake very rarely. Treats don't calm her during this process. She just does not tolerate people touching her little nub feet.

I understimated this when I got my Corgi from the shelter as an adult. I clipped the nails of my family dog before I moved out, but we got him as a puppy so it wasn't a big deal because he was used to it. The combination of not being able to ease Lewis into nail clipping as a puppy and my fiancee being unable to 'torture' our poor dog like that (she can't/won't hold him down or clip while I hold him down) has made me take him to the groomer for trimmings. The visible shaking up on the groomer's table is unnerving. Sometimes he poops... out of spite, I imagine.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I usually take Eevee out on long walks. That usually keeps her nails at a reasonable length.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

extravadanza posted:

Sometimes he poops... out of spite, I imagine.

Or making GBS threads himself with fear, which is more likely.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Sam will from time to time get her self worked up in such a way that she poops out of fear/nervousness. It doesn't happen too frequently. Her dislike of groomers is often out weighted by the fact that she is getting love and attention from strangers. She is such a massive ham, that its easier for them to do it than us. She's only pooped at the groomers once. However when I try to do her nails, its not fear, but anger, that I dare to touch her nubs. I've been trying to get her used to it since she was a baby, its just never worked. She hates anyone messing with her feet.

catamar
May 23, 2008
Holly's nails get worn down a little from walks, but her outer toes are always way too long even when the center toes are right at the quick. She hates the guillotine clipper but she's not bad with the dremel now!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

It's Panda's 2nd birthday. So busy today so she won't get any super special stuff but she'll get her bento ball changed and filled with delicious treats.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I Might Be Adam posted:

It's Panda's 2nd birthday. So busy today so she won't get any super special stuff but she'll get her bento ball changed and filled with delicious treats.

HAppy birthday to Panda!

Mesimean
Feb 16, 2012
Panda has such a lovely colouration! I hope she enjoyed her birthday treats!

Hudson is still figuring out how a kong works. He gets excited over it though so hopefully he will get better with it.
Ithought I would update on how much he's grown since I got him. It's mostly his ears! They are so huge it's hilarious.

I hope it's alright to include a link to a video I took of him this weekend. My dad became his best friend ever. I think it's because of the beard. Forgive my loud "daaaaws". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIBs__lzTzs

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Oh god, Panda is soo adorable. Those ears are massive!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Our corgi Thor crashing out. He's mildly annoyed by the camera flash. He is such a good dog when he's not being a puppy :derp: We also have a dachsador, and she has taught him a ton. I'm pretty sure she's done most of the work on house training him. He is so smart and picks up on things so quickly. He's ticking over into 6 months old, and loving the frozen washcloth we give him to ease his teething woes. Also, Gatorade caps.

He can be a rambunctious son of a bitch (see: puppy) but goddamn if he can't also be one of the sweetest pups I have ever known. He's got a big (and expandable) playpen to keep him out of trouble during the day when my wife and I are at work, or when he's being particularly bitchy, but whenever we're home he generally gets to have his way with our downstairs.

Not that we're obsessed with him or anything, but I have more pictures of Thor and our dachsador (mostly Thor) than my coworker has of his human baby :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Post the dac', preferably pics with Thor in them too to keep them on topic, but nonetheless post pics of him.

• Locked thread