Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What's the best way to get into the first two MM games? They're the only ones I've not played but I just can't get over the jankiness of the DOS versions. Would the Mac versions be worth looking into instead?

Being able to use the mouse in the Mac versions does help a lot, but Might & Magic 1 in particular is going to have a high jank factor no matter what. You should probably print out the spell list (it's in the manual, which comes in PDF form with GOG's Might & Magic Limited Edition, or you can just copy it out of ASchultz's FAQ over on GameFAQs), since in order to cast a spell you need to look up the spell's level and reference number and enter them manually. Also, unless you've got an incredible sense of direction, you're pretty much going to have to either get some graph paper for drawing your own maps or just refer to the maps in the hintbook.

If all of that sounds like too much work, consider skipping straight to Might & Magic II -- the plots of the two games are pretty loosely connected, and it has major quality of life improvements like automapping (unlocked by purchasing a skill in the starting town) and letting you pick spells from a dropdown menu that actually lists their names.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What's the best way to get into the first two MM games? They're the only ones I've not played but I just can't get over the jankiness of the DOS versions. Would the Mac versions be worth looking into instead?

They're gonna be janky no matter what. Honestly, for super-old school rpgs I think The Bard's Tale 1-3 are much better than m&m 1 and 2. 3 is where that series really got good.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

dhamster posted:

So I guess Ubisoft is pulling out? I'd expected another patch or DLC at least

It does sound like they're pulling out, yeah. I remember reading about their new corporate strategy (it was some NeoGaf thread I think), and from what I can recall, it basically amounted to "churn out games as fast as possible, move on to the next one(s) as soon as possible". So this isn't too surprising in light of that.

The question is, how well did MMX sell and how well was it expected to sell to be counted as a success for Ubisoft? I guess we'll never know the answer to this one.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsite_common/en-US/images/d20140515031323ubisoft%20fy14%20earnings%20english%20finaltcm99143198.pdf

Ubi didn't release any information about MMX's sales figures in their annual earnings report, but it might have been too small-potatoes to mention. I'd like to think MMX was testing the waters to see how successful this kind of CRPG could be in today's market, but the haste with which they dropped support is troubling to me

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Even if we never get a M&M XI, this was a nice love letter and fine send off to a classic series, and one that was incredibly unlikely to happen.

Godspeed, (real) Might and Magic. :unsmith:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It cost so little to make that I'd have to think the only way it didn't at least make some money is that nobody actually bought it, which doesn't seem to have been entirely the case. I mean how many of their assets were taken directly from a previously-made game?

Of course it's Ubisoft, so their expectations of success might just be wildly unrealistic.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Looking at Steam Charts with an all time peak players of 7900 for a cheap single player game that sounds like it must have sold at least alright. With the dirt cheap budget there's no way it wasn't profitable.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
That letter doesn't sound so negative to me. They're moving on to "new exciting projects" and we'll "hear about Might and Magic again soon".
I'd much rather have MM11 than another DLC for MMX.

Speaking of, is that Unicorns and whatever DLC for MMX worth playing?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

That letter doesn't sound so negative to me. They're moving on to "new exciting projects" and we'll "hear about Might and Magic again soon".
I'd much rather have MM11 than another DLC for MMX.

Speaking of, is that Unicorns and whatever DLC for MMX worth playing?

If you got it for free for buying the Early Access version, you might as well play it. I dunno if I'd pay $7 for it; it's just two dungeons, and the first one starts with a really obnoxious stealth section where one wrong move means an instant game over, but it does pick up from there. Plotwise it's nothing special, but it feels like it's meant to tie in to the Heroes of Might & Magic franchise and give you an excuse to fight against the faction who'd normally be the good guys. The combat's reasonably challenging and the new enemy types help to mix things up a little compared to the hordes of mostly interchangeable dark-elemental enemies you fight in the original endgame.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 1, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

DancingMachine posted:

Can't wait for the Might and Magic match 3 game, coming soon to your iDevice and Android

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

regulargonzalez posted:

Can't wait for the Might and Magic match 3 game, coming soon to your iDevice and Android

This already exists, it's called Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I picked this up recently and have been having a ton of fun with it. I'm getting ready to enter karthal now, so midway in chapter 2. Any suggestions on what to do with my party build?

Barb: dual wield, maces, warfare
Bladedancer: dual wield, daggers, dodge
runepriest: GM fire and earth. Not sure what third school to focus on, or if to pump stuff like mysticism/shields/arcane focus instead
Freemage: Master light, expert air, expert prime, expert dark

My freemage is kind of the stumbling block. I'm not sure if I should push air for GM spells or dark (for agony). I feel like he's getting a tad too jack-of-all-trades, and I could probably just get mysticism and the crit skill if I ignore some of the spell schools.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I picked this up recently and have been having a ton of fun with it. I'm getting ready to enter karthal now, so midway in chapter 2. Any suggestions on what to do with my party build?

Barb: dual wield, maces, warfare
Bladedancer: dual wield, daggers, dodge
runepriest: GM fire and earth. Not sure what third school to focus on, or if to pump stuff like mysticism/shields/arcane focus instead
Freemage: Master light, expert air, expert prime, expert dark

My freemage is kind of the stumbling block. I'm not sure if I should push air for GM spells or dark (for agony). I feel like he's getting a tad too jack-of-all-trades, and I could probably just get mysticism and the crit skill if I ignore some of the spell schools.

Air magic gets really, really good at Master and Grandmaster level -- Chain Lightning absolutely wrecks any group of enemies that doesn't resist Air. As far as Dark goes, Agony isn't a bad spell, and with a bladedancer in your party you're in a good position to take advantage of it, but it's not game-changing; once you've got Sleep, you don't really need to invest more in Dark magic if you don't want to. Many late-game enemies heavily resist Dark anyway, so it falls off in usefulness in chapters 3 and 4.

You'd probably have been better off having your runepriest invest in light magic and freeing up some more skill points for your freemage, but it's a bit late to do much about that now. You might want to invest in light magic on the runepriest anyway; Regeneration is a nice spell, but not great for emergency in-combat healing if someone gets knocked deep into negative health.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Magical Focus on the Runepriest. Fire gets obscenely good with magic crits and dual wielding foci can push your spell school skills into the stratosphere. Also one point in Medium Armor because there's no downside for a caster.

You should be pretty good except against damage reflect stuff because you have two dual wielders (all the more reason to make your casters stronger, as residual damage from Air spells and Fire DoTs or ranged damage don't trigger that). Make sure to abuse Warfare and Mace stuns on everything else, and always have the Barb go before the BD (so he eats up the blocks and maybe causes a stun, allowing the BD to shred things unopposed).

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Yeah, in retrospect the biggest mistake was not putting primordial expert (for identify) on the runepriest, because RP seems so much more focused and has more points to play with. I kind of like having light on my freemage and earth on my runepriest, because I can layer celestial armor and regen for crazy mitigation. Unless that falls off a lot later on, it's nice that I can have both casters double down on either defensive mitigation or offense.

Turns out my freemage is master dark already, with 8 points in reserve. I should be able to GM air and then just leave dark where it is, I suppose. I overextended this guy, but I think he's salvageable.

E: I had no idea you could dual wield foci. Thanks :getin:

E2: is spike the hound a permanent whispering secrets?

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 5, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
He is. If you don't bring a Freemage he's probably one of the better hirelings, especially since he's free.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

So... I quicksaved after beating the Sacred Grove bossfight thinking I was home free (even though my runepriest was dead). I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it through the rest of the dungeon to escape. Should I just load a previous save? I'll likely lose a bunch of progress.

e: I might just use a savegame editor or something to un-kill my rune priest, I should be able to make it out with a full party

ee: I used the cheat console to add Alesia to my empty hireling slot, that should fix it for me.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 10, 2014

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm thinking of starting up this game for the first time with a Bladedancer, Runepriest, and Freemage, but I'm conflicted on my fourth member. I've heard having a member of every race let's you experience everything in one playthrough, so I guess that leaves either Barbarian or Hunter as my tank options, right? But I'm also worried about the lack of heavy armor (more so I can equip most available loot than for its effectiveness), plus the Dwarf Defender also sounds pretty cool as well.

Any thoughts or opinions on a fourth member for a mostly completionist run?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Barbarian and Hunter are both interesting choices. A two-hander seems to suit them best (Spear in the Hunter's case, Axe or Mace for the Barb) but you could have a Barbarian dual-wield Maces to set up stuns and eat up blocks for your Bladedancer. Runepriest and Freemage are a can't-miss caster combo but decide who's going to focus on what and don't spread the Freemage too thin.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

moot the hopple posted:

I'm thinking of starting up this game for the first time with a Bladedancer, Runepriest, and Freemage, but I'm conflicted on my fourth member. I've heard having a member of every race let's you experience everything in one playthrough, so I guess that leaves either Barbarian or Hunter as my tank options, right? But I'm also worried about the lack of heavy armor (more so I can equip most available loot than for its effectiveness), plus the Dwarf Defender also sounds pretty cool as well.

Any thoughts or opinions on a fourth member for a mostly completionist run?

I have all three of those classes in my party with a Defender as my fourth. The defender is kind of underwhelming though, since his damage output was pretty poor for much of the mid game. I'd pick a reasonably sturdy physical class with good damage output, barb or hunter would be good picks in that case.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Nakar posted:

Barbarian and Hunter are both interesting choices. A two-hander seems to suit them best (Spear in the Hunter's case, Axe or Mace for the Barb) but you could have a Barbarian dual-wield Maces to set up stuns and eat up blocks for your Bladedancer. Runepriest and Freemage are a can't-miss caster combo but decide who's going to focus on what and don't spread the Freemage too thin.

dhamster posted:

I have all three of those classes in my party with a Defender as my fourth. The defender is kind of underwhelming though, since his damage output was pretty poor for much of the mid game. I'd pick a reasonably sturdy physical class with good damage output, barb or hunter would be good picks in that case.

Okay, looks like I'll go with the spear Hunter since he sounds like the most fun.

I'm probably going to at least max out fire for the Runepriest and air for the Freemage and then delve into another magic school for each (probably Light and Dark, respectively). And Expert Prime on the Freemage whenever I get the chance.

Thanks for the input.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Nakar posted:

Barbarian and Hunter are both interesting choices. A two-hander seems to suit them best (Spear in the Hunter's case, Axe or Mace for the Barb) but you could have a Barbarian dual-wield Maces to set up stuns and eat up blocks for your Bladedancer.

One thing to note is there's a light skill (Radiant Weapon) that does damage to an enemy and makes them unable to block for the round. I did this combo (dual mace barb, dual dagger dancer, runepriest and freemage) and the damage is pretty absurd. Radiant Weapon, agony, and two rounds of dual wield is kind of like Team: blender.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 17, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Meow Tse-tung posted:

One thing to note is there's a light skill (Radiant Weapon) that does damage to an enemy and makes them unable to block for the round. I did this combo (dual mace barb, dual dagger dancer, runepriest and freemage) and the damage is pretty absurd. Radiant Weapon, agony, and two rounds of dual wield is kind of like Team: blender.
Had you been using a Crusader in place of a Runepriest, you'd also have Mandate of Heaven, which stacks with Agony to make Dual Wield utterly bonkers. Just watch out for Pain Reflection enemies or your guys will explode themselves.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I'm also starting this game for the first time after getting it on sale a week and a half ago. Based on this thread's advice in the OP, as well as some assorted tips around the web, such as the fact that you can only GM 3 Skills and Master one more by game's end, I've decided to go with the following party:

Crusader, with intent to GM Light & Sword, also focusing on Heavy Armor, Shield, Warfare and Arcane Discipline.
Bladedancer, with intent to GM Dagger, Dual Wield & Dodge, also focusing on Warfare.
Runepriest, with intent to GM Fire, Earth & Magical Focus, also focusing on Mysticism.
Freemage, with intent to GM Primordial, Air & Dark, also focusing on Water.

From what I can figure it's a balance of might and magic, and covers most bases well. There is also the Mandate of Heaven/Agony trick with a GM Dual Wield GM Dagger Bladedancer which sounds fun. I haven't really considered the effects of hirelings, some of which can cover for the role of, say, the Freemage and allow another Bladedancer instead with some reconfiguration of the Crusader and Runepriest to be the "magic" half of the party.

The general tip I understand is that when leveling you generally want 2 points in either Might or Magic, depending on the nature of your character, and otherwise a point in Vitality and Spirit each to keep up with the curve. Other than that I don't really have a grip on how stats work/should be prioritized yet.

Comments welcome. Really looking forward to getting into this game now that I have a little more time to do so.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Perception is somewhat important on one character for secret doors that require it to unlock, and might be useful for hitting things. The Crusader probably doesn't need it because they always have Radiant Weapon to hit with instead. It's not ideal on the Bladedancer but with Daggers hitting is more important than raw damage assuming you find them some damage proc weapons (which will end up doing a huge chunk of the overall damage due to how many hits Daggers get). So possibly a point in Perception for the BD (so like 2 Might 1 Perception 1 Vitality, they don't really need much Spirit). The Crusader it kinda depends on; if you're using their magic as a primary thing you might want to up their Magic, but upping both Might and Magic doesn't give a lot of room for Vitality/Spirit.

If you're running a two-handed character capable of getting to at least Expert Warfare I'd skip Perception entirely and just go 3 Might 1 Vitality each level. They get a Warfare skill that guarantees a hit on your first swing, and if you're not dual-wielding you're only swinging once (possibly twice with 2H Sword procs, but even still) so the only swing you make can't miss or be blocked regardless. All you have to watch out for is mana; Warfare gives you some but you might want to give some of those mana boosters to them. A dual wielder doesn't need any mana as they'll have enough to use Warfare skills when necessary, and in your case with a Dark caster you don't really need to shatter their armor either (Dark has a spell that does the same thing, so the Freemage can do it).

Regarding your spell choices, I think they're pretty solid. Only thing I'd suggest is consider whether you really want to GM Primordial and Dark; it might not be wise. The Freemage also potentially wants Magical Focus too (at least Expert for that +Air relic staff), and Water is incredibly good for Liquid Membrane. It might be better to just GM one school on the Freemage. Fire/Earth/Focus is a no-brainer on the Runepriest as long as you have another Light caster, which the Crusader will do just fine, but remember to give them one point in Medium Armor because Runepriests can wear it and there is absolutely no downside to armor if you aren't attacking with melee weapons.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I've had really good luck having my runepriest go GM fire and earth, and my freemage go GM air, master light and dark with a touch of prime. What works so great about it is that both casters have an "oh poo poo" and "burn" mode. When I need heavy dps I just go all out with fireball/cyclone/chain lightning. When things get really hairy, I combo together celestial armor and regen and the mitigation basically takes care of anything I'm not grossly unprepared for.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If you're going GM Fire on a Runepriest, it really helps to have someone with GM Water as well. Runepriest's Fire Rune skill is kind of nuts, and Tsunami lets you push back groups of enemies so you can continue stacking Fire Runes as melee guys desperately attempt to get to you.

Are there any other spells with the same 'group pushback' effect as Tsunami? Windsword lets you move a square yourself of course but that's pretty lovely.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I've had really good luck having my runepriest go GM fire and earth, and my freemage go GM air, master light and dark with a touch of prime. What works so great about it is that both casters have an "oh poo poo" and "burn" mode. When I need heavy dps I just go all out with fireball/cyclone/chain lightning. When things get really hairy, I combo together celestial armor and regen and the mitigation basically takes care of anything I'm not grossly unprepared for.

Yeah, having Earth magic and Light magic on two separate characters is really important. Two characters healing if you need it, and not being completely poo poo out of luck if your one healer bites it early in a fight due to a lucky crit. I tried doing a Runepriest with both Earth and Light, so busy healing he never had time to get off those awesome fire nukes.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I had similar results with a Runepriest/Druid combo (Fire/Light and Earth/Water respectively), but the Druid's offense wasn't terribly good compared to what a Freemage with Air could do. I might've been better off with lowish Earth and Primordial on the Druid, but the Water was clutch.

Water is excellent early on when its damage spells are okay and ridiculously powerful once you get Liquid Membrane. It reduces the damage you take to almost trivial levels, and when combined with Celestial Armor and Burning Determination your party is more or less completely safe from any number of enemies. Which is good because it lets you bunch them all up for the Runepriest's spells, and those ain't nothing to gently caress with... honestly if you had a Runepriest + Freemage combo with Fire and Air you're very likely to be able to just let your other party members tank things for you while the collective AoE damage melts all the bad guys. Be sure to throw in the Earth DoT while you're at it.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Are there any other spells with the same 'group pushback' effect as Tsunami? Windsword lets you move a square yourself of course but that's pretty lovely.
The default Air spell has pushback, but it's single-target.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah once I was towards the endgame my Runepriest and Archdruid were the only two members doing any real damage on my team. Runepriest doing like 900+ per turn to every enemy by himself.

Windsword just seems like kind of a lovely class to me. GM Warfare is good, but they can't operate well as a tank or DPS or anything. Their unique skill (the dash move) would be really awesome if it didn't use 100% of your mana. Barbarian was good for much of the game, but he just couldn't keep up in terms of damage so he mostly was down to tanking duties by the end game.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Windsword is pretty good with maxed-out Warfare and a two-hander. Auto-critting with a 2H is provably leaps and bounds over not being able to do so, and they don't need any Perception at all to hit things. Dual wielding Windswords kinda suck though. Also while the Windsword dash is situational with just one, if you have two it's borderline overpowered as you get a free move each turn for the whole party at the cost of your Windswords alternating between Dashing and chugging a low-tier mana potion. A small price to pay for the ability to potentially never let any enemies reach melee with you while your casters pepper them with spells.

Generally speaking the Magic heroes in M&MX are hard to screw up as all the spell schools are actually useful for things and so they rarely ever feel useless (maybe a Freemage with Expert in every spell school would, but that'd be the rarest exception). The Might heroes actually tend to need to be built with a long-term eye toward how they can deal damage. While Windswords can't GM any weapon type, they're the only ones who can put competent points into Two-Handed and still GM Warfare, and that happens to be probably the most powerful melee setup available outside of a Bladedancer (who needs support to take care of blocks and can get eaten alive by retaliations and pain reflection, where the two-hander user will only worry about the latter).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That must have been my mistake, I took Sword+Shield for my Windsword instead of 2H.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Nakar posted:

Windsword is pretty good with maxed-out Warfare and a two-hander. Auto-critting with a 2H is provably leaps and bounds over not being able to do so, and they don't need any Perception at all to hit things.

This gets even better if you're using maces, since being able to get guaranteed crits and stun enemies with every crit lets you stunlock most enemies for as long as your mana holds out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
This just speaks to how OCD I am, but I'm kind of bummed by the fact that Ubisoft has directly stated that they aren't supporting the game anymore (no more patches/content), yet there doesn't seem to be enough content in the game as it stands to hit max level. Given that there's an achievement for that, and my aforementioned frightening OCD tendencies, that makes me sad.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

This just speaks to how OCD I am, but I'm kind of bummed by the fact that Ubisoft has directly stated that they aren't supporting the game anymore (no more patches/content), yet there doesn't seem to be enough content in the game as it stands to hit max level. Given that there's an achievement for that, and my aforementioned frightening OCD tendencies, that makes me sad.

Yeah, if you really want that achievement you're going to have to use third-party mods.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Finally beat this game after playing it a little bit at a time over the last few months.

My party was Shieldmaster/Blademaster/Rune Lord/Archmage.

For the bulk of the early/midgame the real stars were my Rune Priest and (swords) Blade Dancer, since my Defender wasn't doing hardly any damage and my Freemage was similarly lacking hard-hitting nukes. Meanwhile my Rune Priest had pretty useful healing magic and strong nukes, and my Blade Dancer was hitting pretty hard every turn. However, the one thing I really regret is loading up my RP with Fire, Earth and Light mastery. My archmage had some heals but wasn't always able to usefully back up my rune priest, and my rune priest was the only party member I had who could cast resurrection. If I could have done it over again I'd have given my freemage Master Light instead of pushing Prime to GM so my RP would be more free to cast her big nukes. Or maybe I would have replaced my Defender with a Crusader and given him Light magic.

One thing that really bugged me in Act 4 was the prevalence of enemies with powerful retaliation/damage reflection skills. I'd been prioritizing offense over defense in building my characters, and attacking with my Blademaster was almost guaranteed to kill/KO him if I was facing those kinds of minions (which were everywhere). The result was that combat in the final few zones started to really drag after awhile as I had to continually revive everybody. Still, it's interesting how the last act brought the power level of dual-wielding down a peg, while at the same time my Shieldmaster was starting to shine (Taunt and Flawless Assault both saved my bacon on a few occasions, despite their high cost). Also the battle music kept looping over itself a bunch in the last act. Dunno what that was about but it took me out of the immersion a little bit.

As for the endgame stuff, well, the dream shard area was really cool, the cutscene with Crag Hack was pretty neat looking, albeit predictable, and I ended up cheesing my way through the final battle by bursting down Erebos in one turn. It took a few tries because my party's burst damage was lacking, but it was way easier than trying to navigate my way through harassment by Erebos and his pals to do... something or other. The objective wasn't super clear. After the boss I found that the final cutscene was a little bit bland. Like the introductory cutscene, it seemed to rely on storyline elements that didn't seem to be fully explored in the game (instead, drawing from the Heroes VI plot?) Also the "here's what happened to these characters" epilogue fell a bit flat for me, since in my game it was effectively "this guy is dead (20 second pause)" "this guy is also dead (20 second pause)."

There was some stuff I didn't like about the game, but I still really enjoyed it and will very likely give it another go with a different party configuration somewhere down the line.

Plus I think I still have to finish the Meow dungeon, Limbo and the DLC so I'm not entirely done with this playthrough.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

dhamster posted:

However, the one thing I really regret is loading up my RP with Fire, Earth and Light mastery. My archmage had some heals but wasn't always able to usefully back up my rune priest, and my rune priest was the only party member I had who could cast resurrection. If I could have done it over again I'd have given my freemage Master Light instead of pushing Prime to GM so my RP would be more free to cast her big nukes.

That's exactly what I ended up doing with my Freemage and Runepriest combo and I'm really glad I did. Having two sources of healing from two separate members really saved my rear end near the end, though I was mostly using Celestial Armor more than anything from Light. Being able to only Master Light on the Freemage didn't hurt my numbers TOO much since I could also throw up GM'd Stone Skin to stretch out my Celestial Armor for more than one round (for physical damage, at least). Also really happy that I GM'd Magical Focus on both casters. It helped in one-shotting a bunch of dangerous enemies that you don't want to leave at half health, like those ghouls in the Fortress of Crows.

Gotta say, Earth Magic was a real boon in my game. Regeneration is the best heal, Acid Splash applies DoT to even bosses, Poison Cloud does okay lingering damage AND acts as cover against ranged attacks, and Stone Skin takes the bite out of physical damage. Most of my damage came from Fire and Air, but Earth gave me a lot of utility.

I also still have the post-game dungeons and DLC's left but I think I'm going to call it quits at this point. The end game was starting to drag and I'm afraid anything more would overstay its welcome.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I also had that combo. I was surprised at how week the Freemage was, especially compared to the Rune Priest. It always seemed like I wished I could just cast 2 spells with the rune priest per turn and none with the freemage.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Although water is the most powerful thing in the game, any other water mage is probably better than the freemage. I don't remember anything outstanding with mine either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
If you only have 2 spellcasters, shaman is probably a better choice.

That said I ran with a shaman, rune priest, and freemage, and all 3 casters together were AMAZING.

At the end of the game when the shaman is throwing up liquid membrane, regeneration and poison, the rune priest is dropping searing runes and flame blasts, which are hitting the same area the freemage has dropped a Cyclone and the other duration aoe spell, thunderstorm? And if they got out of range? Tsunami back onto it. It was ridiculous. The only regret of that party was picking a defender instead of a bladedancer

Metos fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 28, 2014

• Locked thread