Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
The expedition continues on into the temple. Their morale is breaking. They seem almost willfully resistant to continuing in their collective goal.

The group trudges forward into another large atrium like room, similarly empty as the one that claimed poor Zzyzx's life not long ago. You cannot help but be reminded of a ballroom at some palatial estate looking out over the wide smooth tiles that decorate the floor.

"Wonder if someone got here first and made off with the treasure." Ardulac muses to himself, being to walk out onto the wife floor. "Seems this whole place is just full of huge empty rooms and traps."

Just then you hear a low creaking sound. Everyone, previously chattering amongst themselves, falls silent, looking with dread into the room. Ardulac stops still, foot raised in the air about to place it. "I think there is something in the floor..." he mouths silently back to the group. Slowly, he reverses his steps and makes a slow retreat to the doorway you all entered from.

"What are we to do?" Someone mutters. "Stymied at every turn!"

"Calm down, you fools" says Chili, "apparently you were all so busy freaking out you didn't notice the one person who seemed oddly unphased by it." His gaze falling on the ever silent Tearshed lurking in the back of the group. His eyes glazed over and nearly unresponsive. "I think he knows something about this. I nominate him to be the first to cross."

Quick and shocked consent was all it took before Tearshed was being pushed out into the room.

"Get walking," Your Personal Muse shouts, hefting a piece of stone at him. Slowly and with great hesitation, Tearshed begins making his way methodically around the outside if the room, conspicuously avoiding the center portion.

"Look at him go..." someone murmurs, "He definitely knows something. He must be a temple guard!"

Just as he is across the room however, he turns towards the group, his cold eyes shining in the torch light. He proceeds to open the far door, revealing a mountain of good and jewels and ancient relics like you have never seen.

Tearshed opens his mouth and croaks on dry lips, "You will never reach this place, and you can never be let to leave. Only death awaits."

With that, he steps forward and, with a hoarse cry, stomps down hard on the tile floor. Almost instantly the groaning returns and the floor buckles beneath his feet, the tile falling away from wall to wall, revealing the deep dark of the gaping pit below.

The room now impassable, the expedition is forced to withdraw and seek another way around top the treasure room. You take one look across the chasm and see the glittering mountains of gold and turn to walk away. That is not the treasure you seek anyway.

Tearshed, Temple Guardian, plummeted into the pit!

Day 7 Begins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Cool.

##Challenge Green Monkeys

##vote KFC

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Right now my thoughts are if it isn't KFC it's Chili.

##vote KFC

If he's not a temple guard chili should be next.

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

CapitalistPig posted:

Right now my thoughts are if it isn't KFC it's Chili.

##vote KFC

If he's not a temple guard chili should be next.

You're a loving idiot.

##vote KFC

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Crazy, can we get an update on votefinder?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Pig, go ahead and challenge me if this fails. I'm sure that'll work out really well for you.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Philip J. Fry posted:

You're a loving idiot.

##vote KFC

Oh well pardon me, it must be Fry

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Pig. I don't know why you play mafia. You are the worst. At least the trolls used to be funny.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I would really have liked to have pig flipped first but of the choices ##vote PJF

Short version is I feel the way about pig/pjf the way ard felt about zyzzyx/me.

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

CapitalistPig posted:

Oh well pardon me, it must be Fry

This guy's going places.

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I would really have liked to have pig flipped first but of the choices ##vote PJF

Feel free to defend yourself since you're at -1. I mean no pressure or whatever.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I have been wrong 100% of the time in this game. I am the worst.

Can I hammer KFC or are we waiting on a remarkable defense?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Philip J. Fry posted:

Feel free to defend yourself since you're at -1. I mean no pressure or whatever.

I think people know what happened.
I challenged the team that had a scum in AC right out the gate.
I pushed it to TNL over YPM before Opop came back.
You liked my content after you were done poking me for reactions. You promised a reread between zyzzx and pig and 9 minutes later voted pig for pretty thin reasons. Granted this thread isnt' war and peace but it felt arbitrary. I really thought Zyzzyx was definitely town.
I voted Tearshed really early on when he was an option and called out his lurky play and wanted him on the block sooner.

I think it's as likely as anything else that you're playing your bro.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Your Personal Muse posted:

I have been wrong 100% of the time in this game. I am the worst.

Can I hammer KFC or are we waiting on a remarkable defense?

The scum don't even give enough fucks to post, or to even kill us at night, for that matter, so there's an extent to which I really have trouble caring.

If you want to hammer me just don't let Chiili and PJF run the table.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
YPM is town, Ard is town, guessing chili is town. gently caress you pig if you're the last scum, Otherwise it's fry, which I'd hope is true cause he put in effort this game.

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

or to even kill us at night

This is a joke right?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
##vote kfc

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I think it's as likely as anything else that you're playing your bro.

Fry tried that. Once.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh woops. There's a hammer.

Ardulac
May 31, 2005

"There is a difference between fear and caution."

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

:colbert: Hammered before I got a chance to comment. How rude.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

That was hammer. I'll post flip later.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Chili posted:

Pig. I don't know why you play mafia. You are the worst. At least the trolls used to be funny.

It's because I have fun.

That's the only thing that matters to me.

I don't care if people whine about me or cry about it.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

YPM is town, Ard is town, guessing chili is town. gently caress you pig if you're the last scum, Otherwise it's fry, which I'd hope is true cause he put in effort this game.

It's fry.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Hours pass. Slowly. Progress is agonizing. The twisting, labyrinthine hallways and rooms one after another. Will it ever end, you wonder? Your group is so small now. Is there any hope at all? Or have you all gone to your deaths in this ancient ruin.

At long last you come to a chamber that holds promise. It is dark and dank as you step into this new hall. Well beyond the point of fear, you stride into the depths, holding a torch out in front to light your path. There are what appear to be rows of alters, intricately engraved and laid out in rows. Could this be the place you have been seeking? Where the ancient relic lies?

The group spreads out to examine the room. It is quickly determined that you stand amongst the former lords of this place. The Tomb of the Ancient Kings has been found!

“We should not be here…” KFC announces. “It is not wise to trespass in the realm of the dead. We should keep moving. It cannot be long now until the treasure room.”

“You have been saying that for quite some time now, friend.” retorts Chili, standing up from the inscription he is studying. “There is much to be learned from this place. We will stay a while and see if we can uncover some clues that could help us in this place.”
Rebuffed from his first attempt, KFC next approaches Phillip J. Fry. “This room gives me a very bad feeling, Phillip. Will you not accompany me further and leave these fools to their stubbornness? Surely some old bones are not the treasure you have come in search of.”

“We have been walking for what feels like days.” PJF replies, sitting down and taking a long drink from his canteen. With a deep sigh he continues, “Are you not tired? Hungry? Why not rest a while and let them fiddle with their research?” As KFC walks away dejectedly, PJF glances over at Chili and nods silently, grasping a piece of pitted stone littering the floor, rising slowly to his feet.

“Your Personal Muse!” KFC whispers next “This is a waste of time. We are low on food and cannot long continue. We have no time for reading stops. Come, let us press on. I caught sight of something down the last split in the hall. We will leave these others here and investigate that way. It will be better to split up and cover more ground.”

YPM silently considers what has been said, nodding slowly. “I agree with you, we are definitely wasting our time here. We should get moving, but we will need help. I will go speak with some of the others and we will soon be off.”

YPM ambles over to CapitalistPig, leaning contemptuously against a great mosaic on the wall. A short conversation ensues, with much whispers and glancing about. Eventually they turn and inconspicuously begin walking toward the doorway back down the hallway, meeting up with KFC standing anxiously nearby.

KFC speaks with suppressed excitement to the two, “Excellent! Let us depart while the others are distracted with their books and seek out the treasure room for ourselves.” He then turns to CapitalistPig. “I am glad you decided to join us. Your help is much appreciate-”

“gently caress you.” Cpig spits back angrily, slamming his fist into KFC’s gut, “You’ve been leading us in circles for hours. I wonder how many of us you have personally killed up until now.”

As KFC struggles to regain his breath, PJF and Chili emerge from the shadows behind him, having covertly made their way around the perimeter of the room.

“What are you talking about!” Screams KFC, fury in his eyes. “I have done no such thing!”

“It’s over, Khyros.” Chili responds. “We know it was you. We’ve been thinking it for quite some time now.”

The look in KFC’s eyes becomes that of a caged animal. Wild. Unpredictable. “You know NOTHING! This place MUST NOT BE DEFILED! IT IS THE WILL OF OLMEC!” He raves, looking about desperately. “You have slain the others! It is all up to ME now!”

With that, KFC lunges forward, knocking YPM and CPig to the ground. His hands wrap around YPM’s neck, his eyes bulging as his throat begins to collapse under the iron grip of the last protector. In an instant, Chili and PJF are on him, battering him savagely with pieces of rubble gripped in their fists. At long last they are able to drag KFC off YPM and have him pinned.

As PJF raises his stone to end this threat once and for all, KFC begins to laugh. “You cannot stop me. For each of my fallen bretheren, I have grown stronger. More resilient. Even now it takes four of you to even hold me. You cannot possibly continue your quest and keep me under wraps.

“That is true…” Ardulac remarks from the rear, having beheld this spectacle from a safe distance and continued his study of the tombs. “But there are other ways. Let us seal him within. It seems these coffins possess a truly unique design. Easily opened from the outside, but impossible from within.” And with this he easily levers one of the nearby sarcophagus lids open.

It takes some doing, but KFC is finally secured and deposited into the coffin alongside its previous grisly guest. His screams of terror emanating through the halls as the lid is closed and latched once more, sealing away the last of the Guardians and freeing the expedition to continue unimpeded.

KhyrosFinalCut, Temple Guardian, has been sealed away in the Tomb of the Ancient Kings! The Expedition has found all Temple Guardians and has summarily won Legends of the Hidden Temple Mafia V!

EPILOGUE:
One thing has been gnawing at you these past months. You can’t help but remember the final words of that Temple Guardian. What did he mean by the “Will of Olmec”? Was the entire expedition just the sick machinations of that giant stone head? There is only one way to know for sure. You're a wealthy man now. You have resources beyond imagining and doors are open to you that never would have been as a simple temple runner. Your limo pulls up to the gate. It is time to get some answers. You step out of the car and look up at the building before you as the gate swings slowly open. Yes… Answers. And possibly some revenge...

-Fin

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yay

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

##vote kfc Every temple game before this I've been scum, and we always try to challenge right out of the gate because it minimizes risk. Makes you look towny for firing from the hip, and keeps you from having to be in a duel for a few days

Also I am the smartest and best ever.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

And thus concludes this hellish game. Let me know what you thought overall. I know I messed some stuff up as I have little doubt KFC and certain other parties will flay me alive for when they pop in for post-game commentary. I haven't modded much, but I am surprised it didn't go more to poo poo, honestly.

:negative:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You did fine, players dropped the ball by killing talkative people and lurking. The two days of downtime sure as hell didn't help anything

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
It was slow but I enjoyed myself.

I always count it as a great game when I get other players to call me names.

Ardulac
May 31, 2005

"There is a difference between fear and caution."
I don't think you're to blame for the issues that occurred in this game. Having 2 of the Scum be huge lurkers was rough. The lack of any night actions probably caused some of the :effort: issues since it normally gives people something to grab onto in order to make their arguments, but there was really no excuse for how badly TNL and Hurt/tearshed lurked. Hurt was the least blameworthy of those three since he at least had an excuse for part of his inactivity, but KFC mentioned to me that TNL never even joined their Scum doc.

Hats off to PJF and Chili for some great play. I'd like to take a little credit for pushing the aC lynch and convincing KFC that it was worth lurker lynching TNL (even if I did shy away from the idea a bit myself), but those two were far and away the MVPs of this game.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I liked the game. The lack of night actions made it a little harder to get into, but that just meant we had to rely on actual scumhunting

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
CE, we talked a bit in document about some of the issues and I'm happy to give constructive feedback later, but I don't see the need to go into it here.

I regret that my mafia aspergers didn't enable me to formulate a less pointed Callout early game for YPM/AC than just challenging, but for the most part I think I could have turned this around with some support.

And AC I'm sorry for bussing my only scumbuddy who would post D1.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Hey Fry!!!!! https://tinyurl.com/o8ll69p

:siren: WE GOT IT ALL!!!! :siren:

:woop: THE CP PLAYER! :woop:

:woop: THE SPORTS GEAR! :woop:

:woop: WE'RE GOING TO MEXICO!!!!! :woop:

Chili fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 1, 2014

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
But yeah, CE, there's not really much you can do. I think with a game like this (nightless) you really need to make sure you have a robust player list. Just making sure you have no lurkers weighing you down is pretty important.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Is there a scum doc to see or is it KFC slowly going insane, alone and afraid?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh and Fry already gave you props, but you deserve more for persevering on with the flavor. Lord knows, when my players lose interest, I generally do too.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
By the way, KFC, this was a conversation Fry and I had about you:

Thought you'd appreciate it.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Love to see brothers working together for the victory

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Chili posted:

By the way, KFC, this was a conversation Fry and I had about you:

Thought you'd appreciate it.

Worth it. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Crazyeyes posted:

And thus concludes this hellish game. Let me know what you thought overall. I know I messed some stuff up as I have little doubt KFC and certain other parties will flay me alive for when they pop in for post-game commentary. I haven't modded much, but I am surprised it didn't go more to poo poo, honestly.

I thought you did a great job with what you had. Sometimes things just fizzle a bit, and the downtime certainly didn't help.

• Locked thread