Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

1 800 J JAMES posted:

The Chris Morris compilation CD? It's alright but its hardly the best sketches and you lose the atmosphere without the uncannily perfect music selection. Best to listen to full episodes on youtube. My Wrongs and the Jam DVDs would be better buys.

Really. Guess I know what I'm buying. I got On The Hour 1 + 2 on iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Really. Guess I know what I'm buying. I got On The Hour 1 + 2 on iTunes.

Awesome. You'll want The Day Today and the Peter Cook interviews as well. Guess I'm listening to them for the next hour now.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Friends Are Evil posted:

Finally got around to watching The Visitor. It's genuinely kind of impressive.

I have a poster for it hanging up in my bedroom. :smug:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Vistor is hyped up as this zaaaany nonsense film, but it's really just an Italian movie from the 70s. It's still quite good, but I was kind-of let down.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah it wasn't really that nonsensical at all. Entertaining though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
My friend came up with the best description of the Visitor. He called it "The Omen if it was based around scientology".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Slice Of Life: I randomly discovered an old Lucasarts game The Dig on Steam. I have a very vivid memory from my youth of a Lucasarts-heavy demo disc (vivid, I think, because it had TIE Fighter on it), of which The Dig was mentioned heavily as an upcoming, exciting game. This was at a time in my life when I couldn't just ask my parents for a new computer game every five seconds, so I never bought it. Part of me wants to pay the five bucks for it, but part of me thinks that I'll get annoyed with the circa-1995 mechanics and designs. As silly as it is, the wonderment I had about the game as a kid is inexplicably precious to me.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Slice Of Life: I randomly discovered an old Lucasarts game The Dig on Steam. I have a very vivid memory from my youth of a Lucasarts-heavy demo disc (vivid, I think, because it had TIE Fighter on it), of which The Dig was mentioned heavily as an upcoming, exciting game. This was at a time in my life when I couldn't just ask my parents for a new computer game every five seconds, so I never bought it. Part of me wants to pay the five bucks for it, but part of me thinks that I'll get annoyed with the circa-1995 mechanics and designs. As silly as it is, the wonderment I had about the game as a kid is inexplicably precious to me.

It's pretty good. IIRC Robert Patrick is the main guy in it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Awesome. You'll want The Day Today and the Peter Cook interviews as well. Guess I'm listening to them for the next hour now.

I've had Day Today on DVD for a long time, but this Peter Cook poo poo is already making me laugh. I think Chris Morris was the last comedian I discovered that made me think he was one of the funniest people on Earth.

CPL593H posted:

My friend came up with the best description of the Visitor. He called it "The Omen if it was based around scientology".

This sounds like Symposium Horror to me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

This sounds like Symposium Horror to me.

I have no idea what this means.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Horror that takes place in locales staffed and observed by upper middle class people in smart clothes. Clinical detachment, philosophical introspection externalized as New Age mad science.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Horror that takes place in locales staffed and observed by upper middle class people in smart clothes. Clinical detachment, philosophical introspection externalized as New Age mad science.

So every Cronenberg movie, basically.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, specifically The Brood and Scanners. From Beyond's one of those movies, ditto Exorcist II, Altered States, The Stone Tape, etc.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I could listen to Chris Morris saying things like, "DISMANTLED POPE FOUND SLIDING ACROSS ROAD" all day, and now I do thanks to the On The Hour discs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, specifically The Brood and Scanners. From Beyond's one of those movies, ditto Exorcist II, Altered States, The Stone Tape, etc.

Sounds like a dope genre. God I love From Beyond.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just got back from Monty Python live and it was jolly good fun.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I've had Day Today on DVD for a long time, but this Peter Cook poo poo is already making me laugh. I think Chris Morris was the last comedian I discovered that made me think he was one of the funniest people on Earth.

He really is, and far too quick witted. If you listen to his old radio-DJ sets and the interviews where he gets up the noses of Brett Easton Ellis, Piers Morgan etc its hard to say what's scripted and what's off the cuff but its all gold.

Given current news its probably time for a rewatch of *Paedogeddon*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcU7FaEEzNU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I am very sad about soccer

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Was an entertaining game though, and that's what matters. To a non-American.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's okay, everyone will stop pretending to care about it any day now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Here is another trailer for a good movie you should all see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhULZJDXLaE

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

axleblaze posted:

That looks pretty good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DNS posted:

That looks pretty good.

It is. It's also a movie that deals with the topic of depression better than any of the movies we were talking about earlier today.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bioshock?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If videogames were art, sure.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

All you have to realize is that it's, you know, soccer, and such feelings pass quickly. You've got a damned interesting NBA offseason to focus on.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MisterBibs posted:

All you have to realize is that it's, you know, soccer, and such feelings pass quickly. You've got a damned interesting NBA offseason to focus on.

Also *faaaaaaaaaaart*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nah, it needs like, contemporary mundanity. The setting is just too fanciful anyway and the 50's drag is distracting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nah, it needs like, contemporary mundanity. The setting is just too fanciful anyway and the 50's drag is distracting.

I've become intrigued by this idea and I'm trying to think of the last good movie we've had like it. I kinda feel like Splice tried for it but went too contemporary-quirky instead of contemporary-mundane and also it wasn't a very good movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
On a different topic, I think Locke, Mr. Death and the entirety of Breaking Bad would make a pretty good (if not actually possible to sit through) triplle feature.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've become intrigued by this idea and I'm trying to think of the last good movie we've had like it. I kinda feel like Splice tried for it but went too contemporary-quirky instead of contemporary-mundane and also it wasn't a very good movie.

Beyond The Black Rainbow, of course. Any second it seems like someone is going to start talking about stimulating the pineal gland.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Beyond The Black Rainbow, of course. Any second it seems like someone is going to start talking about stimulating the pineal gland.

*sigh* fine, I'll watch that drat movie.

Antiviral might also skate into that subgenre by default.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

I always thought Cronenberg's Stereo and Crimes of the Future were akin to that film, as well.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

axleblaze posted:

I don't know why, but Kristen Wig lip syncing to Nothings Gonna Stop us Now is the funniest drat thing. She looks so unenthused about it haha

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

axleblaze posted:

On a different topic, I think Locke, Mr. Death and the entirety of Breaking Bad would make a pretty good (if not actually possible to sit through) triplle feature.

Paul Mazursky dying reminded me that Borgman & Down and Out in Beverly Hills would make for a pee deece double feach.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Getting back to Battle of Algiers just because I can't get it out of my head: would it be fair to call it the best political film of all time? Let's say "excluding documentaries" just to keep it fair.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Getting back to Battle of Algiers just because I can't get it out of my head: would it be fair to call it the best political film of all time? Let's say "excluding documentaries" just to keep it fair.

The first response to pop into mind is "Z" by Costa Gavras. The second is: what's a political film? I don't ask to be difficult but because I'm not really sure myself.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DNS posted:

The first response to pop into mind is "Z" by Costa Gavras. The second is: what's a political film? I don't ask to be difficult but because I'm not really sure myself.

Z's a good choice.

Use whatever definition of political film you feel like.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

DNS posted:

pee deece double feach.

I was about to probate you for talking like a goddamn moron yet again but then I said this out loud and now I can't stop saying it out loud, so you win this round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

La Commune.

• Locked thread